PDA

View Full Version : The Official "We Haven't Accomplished Anything Yet" Thread

NightTrainLayne
10-01-2013, 09:17 PM
We're flying high right now.

It's a blast to watch Peyton Manning orchestrate this offense.

Trindon Holliday is electric.

We have another group of Three Amigos... No, not the receiving corps, but our stable of running backs playing rock, paper, scissors to see who will score next.

The receivers defy description.

And the defense. . . Missing two legitimate pro-bowlers, and still wreaking havoc.

It's even more amazing if you factor in where the Broncos were just three short years ago. It was the depths of Hell. The worst stretch in forty years. Losing 17 of 22 games after that smoke and mirrors 6 game winning streak.

But we haven't reached the mountain top yet. No, we haven't even established base camp for a summit attempt. The promised land is still just a promise, although it seems we might be on the verge of escaping the wilderness.

In the past 31 years, the top scoring offense only advanced to the Super Bowl 14 times. . . Less than half.

Only 5 times in the last 15. . .it would seem that having a high flying offense means less and less as it applies to Championships.

Championships? Winning the whole enchilada? The top scoring offense has only done it 7 times in the last 31 years, twice in the last 15, (thrice if we extend it one more year and include Mr. Elway's Broncos from 1996). Let that paragraph sink in.

It's going to take a lot more than just a high flying offense. We have some great pieces to complement this offense, but will it all come together to get us to a Super Bowl, and deliver a victory in the dead of a New Jersey winter? I worry about a group built on a high velocity passing attack having to deliver a victory in a windy stadium in February. It's less than ideal.

There are a lot of questions to be answered, and thankfully a lot of time left to answer them. We haven't accomplished anything yet.

Slick
10-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Remember what Harvey Keitel said to Travolta and Sam Jackson at Tarantino's house?

TXBRONC
10-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Remember what Harvey Keitel said to Travolta and Sam Jackson at Tarantino's house?

I watched Pulp Fiction last weekend but I don't remember what he said.

tomjonesrocks
10-01-2013, 09:31 PM

Let's not start sucking each other's dick just yet or something to that effect?

WTE
10-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Guys, take a lesson from me. You want a regular season loss. Do not go into the post season undefeated. Too much pressure.

You have everything NE had in 2007. I wish we had lost at least one game to take the pressure off a perfect season.

People will start talking about that very soon with your club. I don't think it's praise, I think it is a curse.

tomjonesrocks
10-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Guys, take a lesson from me. You want a regular season loss. Do not go into the post season undefeated. Too much pressure.

You have everything NE had in 2007. I wish we had lost at least one game to take the pressure off a perfect season.

People will start talking about that very soon with your club. I don't think it's praise, I think it is a curse.

That's deep.

I'd like to see a loss also. Undefeated season is overrated.

olathebroncofan
10-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Wait. Haven't we won 4 straight? I think that is an accomplishment. Ask the giants and jags if that is an accomplishment.

BroncoWave
10-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Well, it's impossible to win a Super Bowl after 4 weeks and we have to talk about something. It's not like we can ignore how well we are playing right now.

Dzone
10-01-2013, 09:49 PM
The more they say we have the greatest team ever assembled in history, the more motivated opponents will be to knock us off...You cant stop the media from saying these things either...I guess when you are blowing away records like we are, thats going to happen...we arent the only 4-0 team, but are the only 4-0 team mentioned in undefeated talk...12 more games left in the season. Thats a lot of football...

NightTrainLayne
10-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Wait. Haven't we won 4 straight? I think that is an accomplishment. Ask the giants and jags if that is an accomplishment.

Well, it's impossible to win a Super Bowl after 4 weeks and we have to talk about something. It's not like we can ignore how well we are playing right now.

http://i.imgur.com/YwgbT16.jpg

Dzone
10-01-2013, 09:51 PM
LOL...now thats funny

MOtorboat
10-01-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm not getting a real solid vibe here from the football gods...so not sure if helping....

chazoe60
10-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Screw losing one! If you can go undefeated you try to do it. Pressure schmessure, the playoffs are pressure regardless, wo you might as well try to be epic. Sorry WTE, and I don't mean this as smack, it's my honest assessment of that Pats team, they got cocky and overlooked the Giants. It wasn't pressure it was arrogance.

Skinny
10-01-2013, 09:55 PM
In short: Defense wins championships.

:welcome:

underrated29
10-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Well here is some more good and or shitty news. We are wearing all blues this week. I do not think we have ever won, ever, in the all blues.

AZBronco
10-01-2013, 10:00 PM
While I love where we are, I too am remaining cautiously optimistic. I like the idea of being an underdog, but would much rather have the team we have now. Every Sunday teams come to compete, but I believe teams will bring all they have against Denver since they have nothing to lose. As long as we stay grounded and don't overlook ANY team, and I even include JAX in that statement, and use the cliche, any given Sunday, we can potentially have an amazing season.
One thing that works to our advantage is our team dynamics. Manning isn't one to take a team lightly. Several of our players are late round/undrafted players with something to prove. And for some, a-la Champ, their chances are getting slimmer and slimmer.
One game at a time! Go Broncos!!!:salute::beer:

NightTrainLayne
10-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Well here is some more good and or shitty news. We are wearing all blues this week. I do not think we have ever won, ever, in the all blues.

Have we ever worn all blues on the road?

Also, I'm pretty sure we've won in them.

BroncoWave
10-01-2013, 10:01 PM

:confused:

I guess it did go over my head, because nothing in your post implied that you were joking.

Dzone
10-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Really? I dont know what our records is in all blues, but whos stupid idea was it to scrap the orange in dallas? We have the coolest uniforms in the NFL. wtf are they messing with it for? No teams unis look as good as ours on TV...oh well...just win, thats all

NightTrainLayne
10-01-2013, 10:10 PM
:confused:

I guess it did go over my head, because nothing in your post implied that you were joking.

I wasn't joking. But nothing in my post intimated that we shouldn't be talking about our success either. There's nothing wrong with enjoying our success so far. I'm having a blast!

But we haven't accomplished anything yet. #whaay

BroncoWave
10-01-2013, 10:15 PM
But we haven't accomplished anything yet. #whaay

I think pretty much every Bronco fan would agree with this.

underrated29
10-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Have we ever worn all blues on the road?

Also, I'm pretty sure we've won in them.

Yes we have. Lions game, or Seahawks game, or both.....the Seahawks was Brandon Marshall's first Td, where he spun out of like 4 tackles down the sidelines. We still lost. The lions game with he and jay the next year maybe? One of those had to be on the road.

We might have win in them in the road or at home. I can't recall that we'd had. I hate those jerseys.

Poet
10-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Broncos will go undefeated and win the SB with ease. From here on out, you will face no adversity.

Skinny
10-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Really? I dont know what our records is in all blues, but whos stupid idea was it to scrap the orange in dallas? We have the coolest uniforms in the NFL. wtf are they messing with it for? No teams unis look as good as ours on TV...oh well...just win, thats all
Totally agree. I love our orange uni's.

Canmore
10-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Broncos will go undefeated and win the SB with ease. From here on out, you will face no adversity.

That's good to know. :cool:

Dzone
10-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Stay with the orange jerseys dammit. Makes it easier to see on tv and also easier for manning to see his receivers. Its like wearing a high viz hiway vest.
I was really looking forward to going to dallas and kicking their ass on national tv in the orange !!!! Orange rules!!!
Is there a number where I can call and complain? lol

NightTrainLayne
10-01-2013, 10:35 PM

Your Bengals were one of the teams that won the scoring title and made it to the Super Bowl, only to lose a heartbreaker to the 49ers.

But you probably already knew this.

Poet
10-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Your Bengals were one of the teams that won the scoring title and made it to the Super Bowl, only to lose a heartbreaker to the 49ers.

But you probably already knew this.

Dropped an INT in the endzone. That Bengals team truly is one of the greatest ever. Breaks my heart. But that's not relevant here, *******!

Buff
10-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Please god let the weather be unseasonably warm in January.

Joel
10-01-2013, 10:46 PM

With a 7-3 lead and 4th and 13 from the Bad Guys' 31 on our first drive of the second half, I imagine we'd send Prater to try a 48 yd FG to take a full TD lead, not go for it. That game and season were all about hubris ate nemesis; I don't think we'll have that problem after last years one-and-done any more than we did after getting the top seed but going one-and-done against a second year expansion team in '96.

The point's valid as far as it goes, but I think the reason we're seeing these huge scores (apart from most of the competition not being great) is this team is determined not to take its foot off the throttle/opponents necks before it wins a title. They're taking no chances and ignoring the hype; that may still not be good enough, but should prevent all risks specific to perfection bids.

You sound like a Cowboys fan; didn't we debut the all-blue uniforms and swoosh in the first SB winning season? Pretty sure we won at least a couple in them over the next two seasons; we only lost 6 TOTAL. ;)

NightTrainLayne
10-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Please god let the weather be unseasonably warm in January.

*February. And if you're going to call on God, better capitalize. ;)

Poet
10-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Ban joel.

Buff
10-01-2013, 10:51 PM
*February.

Well, I was thinking about getting past the divisional round. But as long as I'm getting ahead of myself, I may as well go all the way.

MOtorboat
10-01-2013, 10:56 PM
The Broncos wore all blue in preseason the year they debuted the uniforms.

They didn't wear it in a regular season game until 2003.

Buff
10-01-2013, 10:58 PM
*February. And if you're going to call on God, better capitalize. ;)

The implication just dawned on me, before you edited the post. But now I feel like you should re-use your joke graph on me since I made you call it out.

Joel
10-01-2013, 11:15 PM
The Broncos wore all blue in preseason the year they debuted the uniforms.

They didn't wear it in a regular season game until 2003.
Fair enough then. Maybe the 2005 season would be the easiest to check, since we only lost three games that year (four counting Plummers AFCCG meltdown.)

MOtorboat
10-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Fair enough then. Maybe the 2005 season would be the easiest to check, since we only lost three games that year (four counting Plummers AFCCG meltdown.)

Didnt wear all blue that year, either.

MOtorboat
10-01-2013, 11:19 PM
To be fair to Joel, I'm not doing this on memory.

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/broncos.html

underrated29
10-01-2013, 11:41 PM
With a 7-3 lead and 4th and 13 from the Bad Guys' 31 on our first drive of the second half, I imagine we'd send Prater to try a 48 yd FG to take a full TD lead, not go for it. That game and season were all about hubris ate nemesis; I don't think we'll have that problem after last years one-and-done any more than we did after getting the top seed but going one-and-done against a second year expansion team in '96.

The point's valid as far as it goes, but I think the reason we're seeing these huge scores (apart from most of the competition not being great) is this team is determined not to take its foot off the throttle/opponents necks before it wins a title. They're taking no chances and ignoring the hype; that may still not be good enough, but should prevent all risks specific to perfection bids.

You sound like a Cowboys fan; didn't we debut the all-blue uniforms and swoosh in the first SB winning season? Pretty sure we won at least a couple in them over the next two seasons; we only lost 6 TOTAL. ;)

Negative. Elway didn't like the all blue. He did blue and white. Plummer and co didn't either. It wasn't until we had cutler that we went all blue. Cutler and Marshall- the blues brothers......

***edit- I see MO has already answered this.

I honestly cannot remember us winning in the all blue. I guess since we are breaking records and streaks we can break the blue streak too while we are at it. Just know I have not liked this game coming up all year and the jerseys make me even more uncomfortable.

Dzone
10-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Well, if we arent wearing orange, then I say in Tribute to Tripuka we go to dallas in the brown and yellow unis with the vertical stripes and kick some cow ass. Now that would be cool...show some black and white clips of old frank in the original #18 slinging em on the big screen...lets give em the brown helmet!

chazoe60
10-01-2013, 11:49 PM

Anyone who blames that loss solely on Jake Plummer does no deserve to watch football.

Ziggy
10-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Here's the thing that no one is talking about with Denver's high scoring offense. This defense is a championship caliber defense once you add Champ and Von to it. Del Rio is the best D coordinator in the league outside of Dick Lebeau. The Broncos have 3 shutdown corners and one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. They've got the #1 defensive line against the run, and the fastest linebacker trio in the NFL. As a matter of fact, this defense may be the fastest in the NFL across the board.

LTC Pain
10-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Four games and four blowouts. Accomplishment rating is maxed out, next thread :)

Mr Bojangles
10-02-2013, 05:12 PM

We have another group of Three Amigos... No, not the receiving corps, but our stable of running backs playing rock, paper, scissors to see who will score next.

And the defense. . . Missing two legitimate pro-bowlers, and still wreaking havoc.

It's even more amazing if you factor in where the Broncos were just three short years ago. It was the depths of Hell. The worst stretch in forty years. Losing 17 of 22 games after that smoke and mirrors 6 game winning streak.

But we haven't reached the mountain top yet. No, we haven't even established base camp for a summit attempt. The promised land is still just a promise, although it seems we might be on the verge of escaping the wilderness.

In the past 31 years, the top scoring offense only advanced to the Super Bowl 14 times. . . Less than half.

Only 5 times in the last 15. . .it would seem that having a high flying offense means less and less as it applies to Championships.

Championships? Winning the whole enchilada? The top scoring offense has only done it 7 times in the last 31 years, twice in the last 15, (thrice if we extend it one more year and include Mr. Elway's Broncos from 1996). Let that paragraph sink in.

It's going to take a lot more than just a high flying offense. We have some great pieces to complement this offense, but will it all come together to get us to a Super Bowl, and deliver a victory in the dead of a New Jersey winter? I worry about a group built on a high velocity passing attack having to deliver a victory in a windy stadium in February. It's less than ideal.

There are a lot of questions to be answered, and thankfully a lot of time left to answer them. We haven't accomplished anything yet.

Great post, Train.

Joel
10-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Negative. Elway didn't like the all blue. He did blue and white. Plummer and co didn't either. It wasn't until we had cutler that we went all blue. Cutler and Marshall- the blues brothers......

***edit- I see MO has already answered this.

I honestly cannot remember us winning in the all blue. I guess since we are breaking records and streaks we can break the blue streak too while we are at it. Just know I have not liked this game coming up all year and the jerseys make me even more uncomfortable.
*shrug* Decades of supporting Dallas and liking blue long ago wearied me of the "blue is bad luck" superstition. It's just a uniform, ya'll.

Anyone who blames that loss solely on Jake Plummer does no deserve to watch football.
I concede embarrassingly and inexcusably missing the first half of that game, after which it was all over but the finger pointing. Four turnovers in a Conference Championship was an epic screw up though.

chazoe60
10-02-2013, 05:25 PM
*shrug* Decades of supporting Dallas and liking blue long ago wearied me of the "blue is bad luck" superstition. It's just a uniform, ya'll.

I concede embarrassingly and inexcusably missing the first half of that game, after which it was all over but the finger pointing. Four turnovers in a Conference Championship was an epic screw up though.
So you didn't even watch the first half but you're going to ckme out and throw Plummer under the bus? C'mon man.

Ravage!!!
10-02-2013, 05:27 PM
yeah.. but Jake sucked that game.

Mr Bojangles
10-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Screw losing one! If you can go undefeated you try to do it. Pressure schmessure, the playoffs are pressure regardless, wo you might as well try to be epic. Sorry WTE, and I don't mean this as smack, it's my honest assessment of that Pats team, they got cocky and overlooked the Giants. It wasn't pressure it was arrogance.

I don't mean this as smack either, Chaz, but they didn't get cocky or arrogant. People refer to that uncomfortable Brady response which was taken completely out of context. If he was being cocky, what would you call Elway's comment this past week when he said "The STs scored twice so we really only put up 38 points (laughs)".

Think about it.....the Pats and Giants had met in the season finale that year, and it was a slugfest with NE barely squeaking by, 38-35. But people think, because of that one uncomfortable question and response by TB that the patriots were cocky..? I don't think so. They just ran into a very motivated and explosive Giants pass rush and defense.

Ravage!!!
10-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I agree. They didn't over look anyone, they just got beat.

chazoe60
10-02-2013, 05:47 PM
I don't mean this as smack either, Chaz, but they didn't get cocky or arrogant. People refer to that uncomfortable Brady response which was taken completely out of context. If he was being cocky, what would you call Elway's comment this past week when he said "The STs scored twice so we really only put up 38 points (laughs)".

Think about it.....the Pats and Giants had met in the season finale that year, and it was a slugfest with NE barely squeaking by, 38-35. But people think, because of that one uncomfortable question and response by TB that the patriots were cocky..? I don't think so. They just ran into a very motivated and explosive Giants pass rush and defense.

The Pats were cocky and they lost. Call it what you want but we all saw it.

sneakers
10-02-2013, 06:10 PM

We won 4 games, that is more than the Jaguars will win in the next 5 years

NightTrainLayne
02-02-2014, 11:40 PM

Defense. Wins. Championships.

Shazam!
02-02-2014, 11:58 PM

Interesting someone bought up NE vs NYG.

Same thing happened here.

The physical team punched the finesse team in the mouth.

Almost ALWAYS the physical team will beatdown the finesse team, unless they can match it (ala the Broncos teams of the 90s).

Wasn't any clearer tonight.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
02-03-2014, 12:40 AM

Almost ALWAYS the physical team will beatdown the finesse team, unless they can match it (ala the Broncos teams of the 90s).

I remember the 90s team differently. I don't see us as a finesse team back then. I see us as a TD running team back then. Does anyone remember when he had migraines in the 2nd quarter? We weren't the same team

Hawgdriver
02-03-2014, 05:14 AM

Suck. Loses. Championships.

claymore
02-03-2014, 08:21 AM

We got punched in the mouth, held down and ****** in the ass and had our hymen taken away.

tomjonesrocks
02-03-2014, 07:04 PM
We got punched in the mouth, held down and ****** in the ass and had our hymen taken away.

That's an accurate way to put it.

I would say that beatdown was not worth the 15 year wait. Hopefully it's not another 15 years before they get a chance to redeem themselves after that steaming turd of a performance.

Lancane
02-03-2014, 07:12 PM

As articulate as ever and correct. I am surprised the police didn't cordon off MetLife Stadium, after all the Broncos were pretty much *** raped by the Seahawks and they forgot to bring the lube.

Buff
02-04-2014, 12:54 PM

In fairness, we lost our hymen about 5 Super Bowls ago.

chazoe60
02-04-2014, 02:38 PM

I posted this in another thread but I think it belongs here as well.

The NFL needs to pull it's head out its ass where Pass Interference is concerned. I am in no way saying this is why we lost, we lost because we got our ass kicked by a superior team.

However, the NFL needs to put a stop to this NBA like approach of allowing some teams to get away with things based on reputation. I am lumping us into that category as well because, just like NE, we are allowed to get away with a shit ton of pick plays. But what the NFL lets Seattle and SF get away with from DPI perspective is insane.

Either go back to the rules as they were when I was growing up, which is the rule set that Sea and SF are seemingly allowed to play under, or enforce the new rules as written.

Hawgdriver
02-04-2014, 04:12 PM
That's the heart of the matter, chaz, and Denver needs to evolve and adapt or perish.

Today's NFL: if you aren't drawing some flags, you're doing it wrong. The refs won't call your bluff.

Joel
02-04-2014, 04:34 PM
The NFL needs to pull it's head out its ass where Pass Interference is concerned. I am in no way saying this is why we lost, we lost because we got our ass kicked by a superior team.

However, the NFL needs to put a stop to this NBA like approach of allowing some teams to get away with things based on reputation. I am lumping us into that category as well because, just like NE, we are allowed to get away with a shit ton of pick plays. But what the NFL lets Seattle and SF get away with from DPI perspective is insane.

Either go back to the rules as they were when I was growing up, which is the rule set that Sea and SF are seemingly allowed to play under, or enforce the new rules as written.
I couldn't agree more: Euphemistically calling picks "rubs" doesn't make them any less picks, and making all other teams play flag football while Seattle gets to pretend it's 1970 and ignore PI rules to channel Jack Tatum and Night Train Lane on 'roids is just wrong. It's not a level playing field, and it's not letting the best team win, because some teams must play flag football while others play hockey. The annual rules tweaks make that worse, not better, because it's just one more set of selectively enforced rules.

That's the heart of the matter, chaz, and Denver needs to evolve and adapt or perish.

Today's NFL: if you aren't drawing some flags, you're doing it wrong. The refs won't call your bluff.
That's not what he said though: Some teams draw flags, but others don't, for IDENTICAL play. Does Sherman get flagged for that play Tony Carter made that gave Seattle 1st and G at our 1 on their first TD? Green Bay's used their short scissors pick so successfully and with such impunity for so long EVERYONE'S copied it, but some (e.g. them, us, NE) get away with it and others don't.

Hawgdriver
02-04-2014, 05:10 PM
That's not what he said though: Some teams draw flags, but others don't, for IDENTICAL play. Does Sherman get flagged for that play Tony Carter made that gave Seattle 1st and G at our 1 on their first TD? Green Bay's used their short scissors pick so successfully and with such impunity for so long EVERYONE'S copied it, but some (e.g. them, us, NE) get away with it and others don't.

Must be a conspiracy.

Joel
02-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Must be a conspiracy.
No, just a double standard. It doesn't always work in the stars favor either; sometimes, Bernard Pollard has a point that Manning, Brady, Rodgers and Brees get calls other QBs wouldn't because the notion of what's "catchable" for them is a bit broader than for, say, Blaine Gabbert. However, there's also a flip side to that that says a record-setting passing attack should be able to pick up first downs and score even WITH PI, and maybe that means defenses need a little more margin of error. I don't think it's a conspiracy of anything but circumstance and perception.

That doesn't mean it doesn't happen though, or that the refs expectations for Manning and Gabbert are much different than ours. It's not a level playing field, because, intentionally or not, the same plays aren't called the same way for all teams. Living in either the penthouse OR outhouse can simultaneously and paradoxically make life both harder and easier, but surely not uniform.

Hawgdriver
02-04-2014, 11:56 PM
No, just a double standard. It doesn't always work in the stars favor either; sometimes, Bernard Pollard has a point that Manning, Brady, Rodgers and Brees get calls other QBs wouldn't because the notion of what's "catchable" for them is a bit broader than for, say, Blaine Gabbert. However, there's also a flip side to that that says a record-setting passing attack should be able to pick up first downs and score even WITH PI, and maybe that means defenses need a little more margin of error. I don't think it's a conspiracy of anything but circumstance and perception.

That doesn't mean it doesn't happen though, or that the refs expectations for Manning and Gabbert are much different than ours. It's not a level playing field, because, intentionally or not, the same plays aren't called the same way for all teams. Living in either the penthouse OR outhouse can simultaneously and paradoxically make life both harder and easier, but surely not uniform.

So you are saying that it's kind of self-fulfilling prophecy stuff? If you build it they will come? If the Broncos get some swag and talent then they can mug receivers?

MOtorboat
02-05-2014, 12:27 AM
I couldn't agree more: Euphemistically calling picks "rubs" doesn't make them any less picks, and making all other teams play flag football while Seattle gets to pretend it's 1970 and ignore PI rules to channel Jack Tatum and Night Train Lane on 'roids is just wrong. It's not a level playing field, and it's not letting the best team win, because some teams must play flag football while others play hockey. The annual rules tweaks make that worse, not better, because it's just one more set of selectively enforced rules.

You're fully aware the Seahawks were the most penalized team in the entire league this year, right?

Joel
02-05-2014, 02:00 AM
So you are saying that it's kind of self-fulfilling prophecy stuff? If you build it they will come? If the Broncos get some swag and talent then they can mug receivers?
Kinda; more perception becoming reality, but maybe that's just remantics.

You're fully aware the Seahawks were the most penalized team in the entire league this year, right?
I do; so? Hypothetical:

Team A commits 300 fouls and ¼ get flagged.
Team B commits 100 fouls and ½ get flagged.

So Team A got penalized 50% more than Team B, but was still TWICE as likely to get away with any given foul. Having the most penalties doesn't mean they don't get away with a lot of stuff most (or all) teams don't. It just means they have the most penalties.

OB
02-05-2014, 04:21 PM

Its nice to know some things never change :)

OB
02-05-2014, 04:23 PM
In fairness, we lost our hymen about 5 Super Bowls ago.

Sad but true - thankfully before my time as a broncos fan

NightTrainLayne
01-25-2016, 12:04 AM
We've still got some work left to do.

Two weeks to get healthy and prepare. It will take everything the Broncos have to pull it off.

Hawgdriver
01-25-2016, 12:08 AM

Damn...they evolved lol.

Joel
01-25-2016, 02:20 AM
With 2-3 notable exceptions (and we all know whom they are) I think our #1 D plays a pretty clean game, and did today. I mean, sure, when a DB gets beat he'll grab and eat the 5 yds and automatic 1st to avoid a long TD, but (again, with a few notable and inexcusable exceptions) we're not punching guys in the back of the head. I don't think the helmet-to-helmet (by Stewart, IIRC) was deliberate, just an unfortunate but inevitable consequence of the WR ducking to shield himself from a blow right as the defender delivered it. Which is why I don't think unintentional helmet-to-helmets like that, however injurious, should be flagged, anymore than deliberately trying to blow out a guys knee should be OK just because no one's filed a billion-dollar lawsuit over it.

Hawgdriver
01-25-2016, 02:50 AM
If there are exceptions, I expect you to note them.

Joel
01-25-2016, 03:10 AM
If there are exceptions, I expect you to note them.
Again, I believe we all know whom they are, but if you insist, I've no problem obliging.

NightTrainLayne
02-05-2016, 12:46 PM
I started this thread 2 years. 4 months and 4 days ago. At the time it was obvious that our offense had no equal in the League, but I worried about our defense. We finished the season with an amazing, record-setting offense. Blew the doors off of the league until we got to the Super Bowl.

The best offenses seem to falter against the best defenses in the big game.

Now, almost 2 1/2 years later, we have the best defense. No question. Our offense is not anything like it was two years ago, but we have a Championship caliber defense. And now, as fate would have it, we are facing the #1 scoring offense in the SuperBowl.

Now's the time. If Defense wins Championships, now's the time to accomplish what he haven't in 17 years.

We still haven't officially accomplished anything.

Northman
02-05-2016, 01:03 PM

I certainly hope that rings true this year. :)

TXBRONC
02-05-2016, 01:05 PM
I started this thread 2 years. 4 months and 4 days ago. At the time it was obvious that our offense had no equal in the League, but I worried about our defense. We finished the season with an amazing, record-setting offense. Blew the doors off of the league until we got to the Super Bowl.

Now, almost 2 1/2 years later, we have the best defense. No question. Our offense is not anything like it was two years ago, but we have a Championship caliber defense. And now, as fate would have it, we are facing the #1 scoring offense in the SuperBowl.

Now's the time. If Defense wins Championships, now's the time to accomplish what he haven't in 17 years.

If Denver's defense comes up big like all know they are capable of and if Manning and offense can play a clean game and gets some points on the board they will win.

Joel
02-05-2016, 02:01 PM

The difference is THIS offense is #1 BECAUSE of, not DESPITE, its line. They (unlike us in 2013 and NE* 2 weeks ago) actually gain rushing yards (more often than passing; that's how they got here,) so we can't just knock the crap out of Cam and his WRs, drop both safeties PLUS a CB into deep zone and 4 LBs into short zones punishing WRs. And if we stop the run, they can (unlike us in 2013 and NE* 2 weeks ago) actually protect Cam well enough he's not running for his life all game.

Blocking. Beats. Defense.

Defense may win championships, and I'm confident in ours, but offense still wins games; if our offense can't win the game, our defense can't win a championship.

Yashahla17
02-05-2016, 03:00 PM
And we still haven't accomplished anything yet. Must win the game to be taken seriously

Yashahla17
02-05-2016, 03:02 PM
The difference is THIS offense is #1 BECAUSE of, not DESPITE, its line. They (unlike us in 2013 and NE* 2 weeks ago) actually gain rushing yards (more often than passing; that's how they got here,) so we can't just knock the crap out of Cam and his WRs, drop both safeties PLUS a CB into deep zone and 4 LBs into short zones punishing WRs. And if we stop the run, they can (unlike us in 2013 and NE* 2 weeks ago) actually protect Cam well enough he's not running for his life all game.

Blocking. Beats. Defense.

Defense may win championships, and I'm confident in ours, but offense still wins games; if our offense can't win the game, our defense can't win a championship.

This is totally bogus.

NightTrainLayne
02-11-2016, 12:41 PM
DEFENSE. WINS. CHAMPIONSHIPS.

I guess we can put this thread to bed for a while.

Joel
02-11-2016, 03:49 PM

Reckon so, and I'm big enough to admit I was wrong: Our D actually IS so good it didn't MATTER how bad our offense was. Without Vons strip-sacks that's a tie game; without them and Norwoods huge return it's a loss: Our offense only managed a FG on our opening drive and another after Ganos doink. But Camolinas offensive line, which played well and enabled a solid balanced offense all year, couldn't stop nor even slow our D after all. Even in the NFL, I guess defense still wins championships.

Cugel
02-11-2016, 06:06 PM
It's ironic that as scoring has gone up since 2000, defense wins championships more than ever.

12 of the top 16 scoring offenses of all time, including the 2015 Panthers have happened since the 2000 season. No accident since they changed the rules to favor the offense.

But only 1 of those 12 teams won the SB, the 2009 Saints, and 4 of them lost in the SB, including the #16 all-time Panthers, who scored 500 points, an average of 31.25 points a game during the regular season, but only 10 points in the SB. The 2013 Broncos were even worse, scoring an average of 37.9 ppg but only 8 during the SB.

SR
02-11-2016, 06:55 PM
Reckon so, and I'm big enough to admit I was wrong: Our D actually IS so good it didn't MATTER how bad our offense was. Without Vons strip-sacks that's a tie game; without them and Norwoods huge return it's a loss: Our offense only managed a FG on our opening drive and another after Ganos doink. But Camolinas offensive line, which played well and enabled a solid balanced offense all year, couldn't stop nor even slow our D after all. Even in the NFL, I guess defense still wins championships.

I didn't know there was any question that "even in the NFL...defense still wins championships". Two years ago Seattle proved that to be true. Last year New England proved that to be true.

Northman
02-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Defense may win championships, and I'm confident in ours, but offense still wins games;

So much for that #1 offense you were crowing about.

Joel
02-12-2016, 01:58 AM
I didn't know there was any question that "even in the NFL...defense still wins championships". Two years ago Seattle proved that to be true. Last year New England proved that to be true.
I was thinking along these lines:
It's ironic that as scoring has gone up since 2000, defense wins championships more than ever.

The only thing NE* proved last year is that Pete Carroll's often too sneaky for his own good. His 2013 squad ran into an offense that was #1 SOLELY because of Manning and DESPITE utter inability to run block or pass protect. Camolina has a good line though, and it... didn't matter.

So much for that #1 offense you were crowing about.
Er, no, I was fretting about the #19 offense vs. #6 D. The #1 offense vs. a D #1 in every important category EXCEPT scoring was a much milder worry; as I noted several times before the game, Cam had all but 9 of that offenses 54 TDS this year, so containing him would be containing it. I just didn't figure our D could last a whole SB if our offense never showed up to give them a rest and scoring cushion. Turns out our D is just THAT good.

TXBRONC
02-12-2016, 12:24 PM

For a year. :D