PDA

View Full Version : Drc

Ziggy
09-30-2013, 04:55 PM
He might be one of the most underrated players in the NFL right now. I've got it as a tie between DRC and Woody as our defensive MVP this year. Desean Jackson was the #1 wide receiver in the NFL coming in to this game. DRC made him a non factor, just as he's done with every receiver he's covered this season. He's exceeded expectations and allowed Champ to heal up completely before coming back. Another great signing for Elway and company. I'd sure like to see this guy locked up long term before the season is over. The Broncos are going to need to use the franchise tag on Woody or DRC if they don't get re-signed. I'm not sure which is more valuable at this point, but both contracts need to be addressed. This defense is going to get nasty in a few weeks when Von and Champ are added to it. What a season! Enjoy it folks.

TacticalSnook09
09-30-2013, 05:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken, we signed him to a 2 year deal so we still have another year. But he is dominating out there on the field. Great season so far

SR
09-30-2013, 05:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken, we signed him to a 2 year deal so we still have another year. But he is dominating out there on the field. Great season so far

His contract has some funny language in it. It's basically a one year deal with the option to extend it a year but if that isn't done by like two days after the Super Bowl he becomes a free agent. Or something.

Broncolingus
09-30-2013, 05:38 PM
I think most of us saw this coming in the preseason - that DRC was looking good...and he has certainly delivered thus far.

...hope he stay's healthy and doesn't lose his mojo.

LTC Pain
09-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Champ and PM need to restructure so DRC can re-sign.

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 06:05 PM
He's alright.

SR
09-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Champ and PM need to restructure so DRC can re-sign.

Why would Champ and Peyton need to restructure for that to happen?

OrangeHoof
09-30-2013, 06:09 PM
DR-C may decide he likes facing PFM in practice more than facing him as an opponent.

Ziggy
09-30-2013, 06:11 PM
His contract has some funny language in it. It's basically a one year deal with the option to extend it a year but if that isn't done by like two days after the Super Bowl he becomes a free agent. Or something.

His contract automatically voids after the super bowl. There is no option to extend it a year. Barring a new contract, he will be an UFA at the end of this season. It was a way for Denver to spread his signing bonus over 2 years even though he is playing for only one.

Ziggy
09-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Why would Champ and Peyton need to restructure for that to happen?

Because top 5 corners in the NFL make 9 million/year+. The Broncos also have the following other contracts to address:
Wesley Woodyard- UFA
Trindon Holliday- ERFA
Mitch Unrein- RFA
Shaun Phillips- UFA
Chris Kuper- UFA
Duke Ihenacho- ERFA
Chris Harris- RFA
Eric Decker- UFA
Tony Carter- RFA
Andre Caldwell- UFA
Stewart Bradley- UFA
Zane Beadles- UFA
Robert Ayers- UFA
Mike Adams- UFA

Obviously all of these players can't be re-signed, but there is a lot of talent on that list. Elway has done a great job of upgrading the overall talent level on this team.

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 06:23 PM
I don't think Denver will be able to afford Cromartie. Woodyard is a must, IMO. It would be nice to hang onto Holliday and Ihenacho.

Joel
09-30-2013, 06:50 PM
He's been stellar so far, but it's still early days. After an impressive pro debut and move to Philly, the knock on him became consistency, not quality. He was the little girl with the little curl: When he was good he was very VERY good, but when he was bad he was horrid. Four games isn't enough time to say whether that's still a problem or Fox and Del Rio have coached him out of it. Ask me again around Turkey Day. ;)

SR
09-30-2013, 07:15 PM
His contract automatically voids after the super bowl. There is no option to extend it a year. Barring a new contract, he will be an UFA at the end of this season. It was a way for Denver to spread his signing bonus over 2 years even though he is playing for only one.

Thank you for clarifying Ziggy

SR
09-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Because top 5 corners in the NFL make 9 million/year+. The Broncos also have the following other contracts to address: Wesley Woodyard- UFA Trindon Holliday- ERFA Mitch Unrein- RFA Shaun Phillips- UFA Chris Kuper- UFA Duke Ihenacho- ERFA Chris Harris- RFA Eric Decker- UFA Tony Carter- RFA Andre Caldwell- UFA Stewart Bradley- UFA Zane Beadles- UFA Robert Ayers- UFA Mike Adams- UFA Obviously all of these players can't be re-signed, but there is a lot of talent on that list. Elway has done a great job of upgrading the overall talent level on this team. Good thing DRC isn't a top five corner. Isn't the team still a few million under the cap currently?

Army Bronco
09-30-2013, 07:22 PM
I guess letting go of Dumervil wasn't such a bad move after all. I guess we will see how it plays out this year.

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Good thing DRC isn't a top five corner. Isn't the team still a few million under the cap currently?

Would you say he is as good, or better than any of these players:

1. Darrelle Revis, Cornerback, $13,000,000
2. Champ Bailey, Cornerback, $9,500,000
3. Cortland Finnegan, Cornerback, $9,000,000
4. Charles Tillman, Cornerback, $7,950,000
5. Johnathan Joseph, Cornerback, $7,500,000
6. Joe Haden, Cornerback, $6,936,429
7. Leon Hall, Cornerback, $6,500,000
8. Ike Taylor, Cornerback, $6,000,000
9. Tramon Williams, Cornerback, $5,900,000
10. Carlos Rogers, Cornerback, $5,500,000

LTC Pain
09-30-2013, 07:53 PM
IMHO, DRC will get paid in the $5-7M per year range. I hope the Broncos have (make) cap space to pay him. Thus, why I want PM/Champ to restructure. We need to keep DRC and Woody.

Ziggy
09-30-2013, 08:11 PM
DRC is a shut down corner. He's proved it in every game he's played this season. He was the same way in Arizona. Philly used him the wrong way and his game suffered. He's a stud man to man corner. Do I think he's top 5? Absolutely. So will the front office at the end of the season.

SR
09-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Would you say he is as good, or better than any of these players:

1. Darrelle Revis, Cornerback, $13,000,000
2. Champ Bailey, Cornerback, $9,500,000
3. Cortland Finnegan, Cornerback, $9,000,000
4. Charles Tillman, Cornerback, $7,950,000
5. Johnathan Joseph, Cornerback, $7,500,000
6. Joe Haden, Cornerback, $6,936,429
7. Leon Hall, Cornerback, $6,500,000
8. Ike Taylor, Cornerback, $6,000,000
9. Tramon Williams, Cornerback, $5,900,000
10. Carlos Rogers, Cornerback, $5,500,000

I think a couple of those players are overpaid, such as Cortland Finnegan and Ike Taylor. But no, I don't think DRC is as good as anyone on that list. Yet. He has the potential to be, but for now I won't say he is. I think he's worth $4-6mil per year IF he can prove he can be consistent and level headed.

SR
09-30-2013, 08:19 PM
IMHO, DRC will get paid in the $5-7M per year range. I hope the Broncos have (make) cap space to pay him. Thus, why I want PM/Champ to restructure. We need to keep DRC and Woody.

They can sign him to that kind of contract without restructuring anyone's contract.

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 08:21 PM
I think a couple of those players are overpaid, such as Cortland Finnegan and Ike Taylor. But no, I don't think DRC is as good as anyone on that list. Yet. He has the potential to be, but for now I won't say he is. I think he's worth $4-6mil per year IF he can prove he can be consistent and level headed.

That's the list his agent is going to use as leverage, especially if he continues to shut down top receivers like Jackson week in and week out.

SR
09-30-2013, 08:24 PM
That's the list his agent is going to use as leverage, especially if he continues to shut down top receivers like Jackson week in and week out.

I understand that. However, once Champ comes back DRC instantly becomes the number two guy and as we've seen over the years the number two guy gets A LOT of balls his way. THAT will be the real test for DRC in my opinion.

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
I understand that. However, once Champ comes back DRC instantly becomes the number two guy and as we've seen over the years the number two guy gets A LOT of balls his way. THAT will be the real test for DRC in my opinion.

Maybe he doesn't. I think he's faster than Champ now. It would be nice if he continued to play this well and Champ could shut down the No. 2, with Harris blanketed on no. 3.

I would love to see DRC on Dez Bryant, Champ on Austin and Harris on Terrance Williams. That's scary good, because it would allow the linebackers to swarm Witten.

zbeg
09-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Good thing DRC isn't a top five corner.

He's playing like one right now.

SR
09-30-2013, 08:52 PM
He's playing like one right now.

I hope he becomes one but I'm not ready to crown him after four games coming on the heels of a couple of bad seasons in Philly. I know the bad seasons weren't his fault but he needs to prove a lot more to me at least before he earns that title. He's not in the same league as Champ, Revis, etc just yet.

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 08:56 PM
I hope he becomes one but I'm not ready to crown him after four games coming on the heels of a couple of bad seasons in Philly. I know the bad seasons weren't his fault but he needs to prove a lot more to me at least before he earns that title. He's not in the same league as Champ, Revis, etc just yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmQbk5h86w

SR
09-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Classic

zbeg
09-30-2013, 09:23 PM

Oh, I wasn't saying that he's actually a true top 5 corner, but that the market is likely going to view him as one if he plays like this all season. It only takes one team to overvalue him in order to blow his market value out of the water. Or at least enough that he's going to want to try free agency and likely be too expensive for Denver to afford in the end.

SR
09-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Oh, I wasn't saying that he's actually a true top 5 corner, but that the market is likely going to view him as one if he plays like this all season. It only takes one team to overvalue him in order to blow his market value out of the water. Or at least enough that he's going to want to try free agency and likely be too expensive for Denver to afford in the end.

Gotcha. And to clarify, I'm not rooting against the guy. He has looked phenomenal thus far. It's just too early to tell if he's a $3mil/yr man or an $8mil/yr man. I hope he earns his stripes and can become Champs heir apparent. Sooner or later, if that does happen, once Champ decides to hang it up, move to safety, or whatever he decides, chances are if DRC is still around he'll be worth the same paycheck Champ is getting now. I hope that is the case. I hope DRC lives up to his pre-draft, and first couple years in the league hype. It can only be a great problem for Denver to have. The flip side to that is if he plays lights out all year and can get more money with another team, I half-way expect him to go where the money is versus taking the "hometown discount". I could be wrong. I hope he stays with Denver without doing the primadonna holdout type shit.

gregbroncs
09-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Gotcha. And to clarify, I'm not rooting against the guy. He has looked phenomenal thus far. It's just too early to tell if he's a $3mil/yr man or an $8mil/yr man. I hope he earns his stripes and can become Champs heir apparent. Sooner or later, if that does happen, once Champ decides to hang it up, move to safety, or whatever he decides, chances are if DRC is still around he'll be worth the same paycheck Champ is getting now. I hope that is the case. I hope DRC lives up to his pre-draft, and first couple years in the league hype. It can only be a great problem for Denver to have. The flip side to that is if he plays lights out all year and can get more money with another team, I half-way expect him to go where the money is versus taking the "hometown discount". I could be wrong. I hope he stays with Denver without doing the primadonna holdout type shit.Won't need to hold out. He'll be an unrestricted FA. I hope he comes back and that it's a reasonable deal for Denver. I wonder if Jack's decision this off season will weigh on the decisions of some of our defensive FA's like him and Woodyard.

SR
09-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Won't need to hold out. He'll be an unrestricted FA. I hope he comes back and that it's a reasonable deal for Denver. I wonder if Jack's decision this off season will weigh on the decisions of some of our defensive FA's like him and Woodyard.

I know that. I meant more along the lines of holding out for a "higher bidder" type situation.

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 08:36 AM
He will be the best CB on the market, so he can demand what he wants. And just like the Decker situation, Denver will have to rpioritize. Personally, I hope it works because I wont be too excited about going into next season with a 36 year old and a nickel back as my staring corners.

BroncoWave
10-01-2013, 09:06 AM
I think Chris Harris needs more recognition for his game against Philly. Vick did not throw his way a single time. That is pretty incredible. Whenever Champ gets back, we will have the best set of corners in the league IMO, even above Seattle.

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 09:17 AM
I think Chris Harris needs more recognition for his game against Philly. Vick did not throw his way a single time. That is pretty incredible. Whenever Champ gets back, we will have the best set of corners in the league IMO, even above Seattle.

I dont disagree. But they are only the best when they are playing to their strengths

BroncoWave
10-01-2013, 09:23 AM
I dont disagree. But they are only the best when they are playing to their strengths

Can't you say this for pretty much any player? Like, Peyton Manning is great, but he would suck if we ran a read-option offense.

TXBRONC
10-01-2013, 09:25 AM
At this point keeping DRC slim at best but maybe there is way to keep him and Decker both.

BroncoNut
10-01-2013, 09:25 AM
hes' impressive anywhere on the field, across the middle, over the top, down the sideline, you name it.

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Can't you say this for pretty much any player? Like, Peyton Manning is great, but he would suck if we ran a read-option offense.

Exactly. Which is why I prefer to see Harris in the slot and not outside and would like to see a top corner like DRC take the heat off of a 36 year old Bailey

SR
10-01-2013, 10:17 AM
At this point keeping DRC slim at best but maybe there is way to keep him and Decker both.

If it comes down to it, I'd rather have DRC on the team than Decker.

BroncoWave
10-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Exactly. Which is why I prefer to see Harris in the slot and not outside and would like to see a top corner like DRC take the heat off of a 36 year old Bailey

For sure. I am also excited for Carter to be bumped down to the #4 CB spot. He's a decent player, but he's not cut out to consistently cover one of the top 2 guys on the other team. Seems like he was the victim of many of Philly's big passing plays.

TXBRONC
10-01-2013, 10:36 AM
If it comes down to it, I'd rather have DRC on the team than Decker.

I'm torn. I don't think in either case the team would be going in the wrong direction.

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm torn. I don't think in either case the team would be going in the wrong direction.

I think it's easier to find another good receiver than it is to find another top level corner. Especially in today's NFL.

SoCalImport
10-01-2013, 12:16 PM

I think it's easier to find another good receiver than it is to find another top level corner. Especially in today's NFL.

Agree completely.

Imho Decker is/will be seen as a good (not great) wr in free agency. His success will be judged with his surrounding talent (pmfm) as a mitigating factor.
On the otherhand, DRC is showing (so far) his ability to be a Star lockdown CB. That's far more rare and can shine in any defense.

He stands to make much more cheddar than Deck.

broncohead
10-01-2013, 02:21 PM
I don't see Champ playing like a top CB again. It'd be nice if he restructures to make room for our younger talent like Decker and DRC

claymore
10-01-2013, 02:37 PM

I think we can get a good WR for less than $5 Mil a year. We were lucky to sign DRC to a one year $5 mil dollar contract. Id be shocked if his next deal is less than $7 mil a year. We got the best slot reciever ever for less than that.

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 02:49 PM
I think we can get a good WR for less than $5 Mil a year. We were lucky to sign DRC to a one year $5 mil dollar contract. Id be shocked if his next deal is less than $7 mil a year. We got the best slot reciever ever for less than that.

Who do you think will get a bigger offer? Decker or Hakeem Nicks? I'd take Nicks if he signed a more team friendly contract than Decker

claymore
10-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Who do you think will get a bigger offer? Decker or Hakeem Nicks? I'd take Nicks if he signed a more team friendly contract than Decker

Id take the cheaper if the 2. I think the real factor is the QB in our scenario. We have to sign DRC. I dont see a replacement for him like I do Decker.

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Id take the cheaper if the 2. I think the real factor is the QB in our scenario. We have to sign DRC. I dont see a replacement for him like I do Decker.

I agree. The only other top CB's available this year will be Tillman and Jennings and I see at least one of them re-signing with Chicago. After them and DRC, we're looking at guys like Vontae Davis and Alterraun Verner. Not good.

Sign DRC and groom Kayvon to replace Champ

PatriotsGuy
10-01-2013, 03:23 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/5011/qwv.gif

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 03:27 PM
You can keep that POS

Ziggy
10-01-2013, 06:33 PM
The other option is to re-sign Woodyard and franchise DRC. Either way, we need to keep them both. If DRC keeps up this level of play, a surprise move might be letting Champ go to pay him.

broncohead
10-01-2013, 08:17 PM
The other option is to re-sign Woodyard and franchise DRC. Either way, we need to keep them both. If DRC keeps up this level of play, a surprise move might be letting Champ go to pay him.

I agree with this. We are winning without him. I'd like to keep Champ but if his contract is keeping us from retaining our good young talent then the FO gotta do whats best for the team

Skinny
10-01-2013, 08:49 PM
I agree. The only other top CB's available this year will be Tillman and Jennings and I see at least one of them re-signing with Chicago. After them and DRC, we're looking at guys like Vontae Davis and Alterraun Verner. Not good.

Sign DRC and groom Kayvon to replace Champ

Verner's playing extremely well this year. One could argue he's having a better season than DRC, though we are only heading into week 5. If we can't resign DRC or choose to Franchise someone else (i hope we're able to retain him either way), Verner would be at the top of my wish list. That is if he isn't resigned by Tennessee. Still early. Just a last resort train of thought in a worst case scenario looking ahead.

The CB FA list looks awfully bleak this year so he may be the best of the bunch.

TXBRONC
10-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Assuming DRC is gone after this year I don't Elway laying out mega bucks for a veteran corner.

CoachChaz
10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Verner's playing extremely well this year. One could argue he's having a better season than DRC, though we are only heading into week 5. If we can't resign DRC or choose to Franchise someone else (i hope we're able to retain him either way), Verner would be at the top of my wish list. That is if he isn't resigned by Tennessee. Still early. Just a last resort train of thought in a worst case scenario looking ahead.

The CB FA list looks awfully bleak this year so he may be the best of the bunch.

Yeah...after I put him on the list, I realized I'd actually be happy as hell to have him...I just didnt feel like editing my comment. I would defeinitely be happy with Verner as a replacement for DRC if we cant keep him.

zbeg
10-02-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't see Champ playing like a top CB again. It'd be nice if he restructures to make room for our younger talent like Decker and DRC

Champ was a top 5 corner in the league last year. Why don't you see him playing like a top CB again?

G_Money
10-02-2013, 02:04 PM
If the choice is Decker or DRC, I go with DRC every day. I like Decker, having Manning around makes me leery of paying Decker for all his numbers. If Decker gets a wad of cashed shoved his way (a la Pierre Garcon and his 5/42 contract that his Manning connection helped make him), I'd throw money toward DRC instead and trust that Manning can make Caldwell or King or another WR into the next great #3 option on this team. We need a replacement for Champ at some point, and I'd rather have him while Champ is still around.

Seattle's secondary is showing that defensive backs still matter in this league, and with the extreme passing league it's becoming, getting a bunch of good ones who can all play together may be more important than anything. A few stops on defense is all a Manning-led juggernaut should need. Gotta be able to get those stops.

~G

BigDaddyBronco
10-02-2013, 02:45 PM

Hell, I would draft a WR before getting Nicks. He is pretty beat up. Seems like we have pretty good success drafting WR's.

Dean
10-02-2013, 07:15 PM
With what the front office is paying Bailey, the time he has missed, and his age; I can't see the front office keeping him at his current contract level. Prorate his salary for a 12 game season (it may be even less) and his cost is out of sight. Champ has been consistently great but all players come with an expiration date irregardless of their ability.

NightTerror218
10-02-2013, 09:25 PM
I would love to see champ start getting ints again as qbs throw at him since DRC is playing so well, QBs could force it into DRC or champ

broncohead
10-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Champ was a top 5 corner in the league last year. Why don't you see him playing like a top CB again?

I don't really have any facts to back up my statement. It's just an opinion. I just don't see him playing at such a high level at his age.

Pudge
10-03-2013, 05:33 AM
I don't really have any facts to back up my statement. It's just an opinion. I just don't see him playing at such a high level at his age.

While I disagree with you, I applaud your approach. Just sharing your opinion and claiming it as nothing more than that.

zbeg
10-03-2013, 09:27 AM

I think we've been spoiled because for a long time, Champ wasn't a top 5 corner, but a top 1 corner, with the pinnacle coming in 2006, where he turned in the finest season I've ever seen by a cornerback.

When in man coverage, Champ was thrown at 35 times, he allowed 4 receptions (!!!!!!), and had 10 interceptions. He's so far away from that peak right now, which makes him seem so much worse than he is. He's no longer completely and utterly unbeatable.

He's also slower, but he ran a 4.28 40 his rookie year. He's got a lot of room to fall in the speed department as well.

The point is that Champ Bailey was a windmill slam lock #1 by far not even close top cornerback in the league by a wide margin. Being a fair bit worse still means you can be pretty darn good. Last year was Champ's best season in a while. He still has decent speed, and he's always had absolutely flawless technique and elite hips, and he's a film rat. That's going to really, really far in the NFL, especially from a guy whose physical skills went from "elite" to "pretty good," and that's still good enough to be a top 5ish CB in my opinion.