PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment - what do you think?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Chad Brown is sitting in for Scott Hastings today. A little bit ago, Chad stated that, rather than the Broncos go undefeated during the regular season - he would like to see at least one loss. His reason for this is that there are always mistakes being made in a game, but they become glossed over if you are winning.

After each game, Bronco players make post game comments such as they can get better, there are things that need to be corrected, etc. If they really mean that, I would assume that mistakes are not being overlooked. If they are saying that to try to sound humble, I guess it could be a problem.

What do you guys think?

smith49
09-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Honestly with a perfectionist like PFM I think those comments of getting better etc. are genuine. I actually believe them when they say it. Plus I think staying humble always keeps you focused on getting better.

Personally is like to see some close games that we win and some we lose. I think that drives a strong desire to come back stronger. Just hope they blow out everyone once the playoffs start.

rationalfan
09-30-2013, 02:28 PM
well, i don't think the undefeated dolphins team wishes it had lost. or the various undefeated college football teams that won national titles. i think when an unbeaten team loses in the postseason it's easy to look back and say they should have lost for some type of perspective, but i'm not sure that changes anything. sometimes teams just lose at inopportune times.

as for this year's broncos team. i think the loss from last january will be enough motivation to keep them working hard to improve on each victory. remember how we all felt about that loss? just imagine if you were a player. i can't imagine they've forgotten how it felt to lose that game, then watch the ravens win the super bowl.

TXBRONC
09-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Chad Brown is sitting in for Scott Hastings today. A little bit ago, Chad stated that, rather than the Broncos go undefeated during the regular season - he would like to see at least one loss. His reason for this is that there are always mistakes being made in a game, but they become glossed over if you are winning.

After each game, Bronco players make post game comments such as they can get better, there are things that need to be corrected, etc. If they really mean that, I would assume that mistakes are not being overlooked. If they are saying that to try to sound humble, I guess it could be a problem.

What do you guys think?

It seems every time Manning steps up to a mic to address he talks about Denver needing clean up mistakes and I don't think that's just lip service. I think Denver is going lose at point during the season.

Skinny
09-30-2013, 02:44 PM
well, i don't think the undefeated dolphins team wishes it had lost. or the various undefeated college football teams that won national titles. i think when an unbeaten team loses in the postseason it's easy to look back and say they should have lost for some type of perspective, but i'm not sure that changes anything. sometimes teams just lose at inopportune times.

as for this year's broncos team. i think the loss from last january will be enough motivation to keep them working hard to improve on each victory. remember how we all felt about that loss? just imagine if you were a player. i can't imagine they've forgotten how it felt to lose that game, then watch the ravens win the super bowl.

My thought exactly. We already had our one loss, the last game of the playoffs last year and it still stings. With PFM as our leader, he's not going to let this team get complacent.

That's not to say we won't lose again. Going 16-0 may be a once in a lifetime. But i don't think it's going to dash any hopes this team has of it's ultimate goal, and that's winning the SB.

claymore
09-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Id rather try to go undefeated. Mainly because I dont want to rest starters in week 14-16 if it comes to that. As for the comments, Its all lip service PC stuff anyway. Regardless of what our record is.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2013, 03:01 PM
After thinking about what Brown said - the Broncos have been great in making adjustments during halftime - to me, that means correcting mistakes made in the first half. Therefore, that tells me that the mistakes are being corrected - game by game, as they happen. If that continues to be the pattern, I think an undefeated season would be great, thru the SB, and I do not agree with Brown.

CoachChaz
09-30-2013, 03:03 PM
We have some tough games left. Dallas could be a challenge, perhaps KC, Indy and Houston and obviously NE. Any one of those could be a loss if we slip.

BroncoFanatic
09-30-2013, 03:05 PM
I'd like for these to happen, in order of importance:

1. Super Bowl win (duh!)
2. Record breaking offensive numbers for the season (points, TDs, etc)
3. Undefeated
4. A record setting Prater FG of 65+ :D

BroncoWave
09-30-2013, 03:05 PM
I would be ok with a loss just because I don't even want there to be a chance of us being like the 07 Pats and having that embarrassment. If you think Manning gets hate for his playoff losses now, just wait until that happens. No sir, don't want any part of it.

Having said that, I would freaking love to go 19-0. That would just be the pinnacle of my sports fan life if that happened. I would just be so freaking scared of losing in the playoffs if we were 16-0.

claymore
09-30-2013, 03:13 PM
I would be ok with a loss just because I don't even want there to be a chance of us being like the 07 Pats and having that embarrassment. If you think Manning gets hate for his playoff losses now, just wait until that happens. No sir, don't want any part of it.

Having said that, I would freaking love to go 19-0. That would just be the pinnacle of my sports fan life if that happened. I would just be so freaking scared of losing in the playoffs if we were 16-0.

My only problem with this, is that there is nowhere to go after that. I might as well stop watching, cause it will never get better!

BroncoWave
09-30-2013, 03:15 PM
My only problem with this, is that there is nowhere to go after that. I might as well stop watching, cause it will never get better!

On the flip side, you never have to stress about the Broncos again. Even if we suck for the next 40 years, we'd always have 19-0. The Dolphins still seem pretty happy living off of that. :lol:

claymore
09-30-2013, 03:17 PM
On the flip side, you never have to stress about the Broncos again. Even if we suck for the next 40 years, we'd always have 19-0. The Dolphins still seem pretty happy living off of that. :lol:

Id take that, I think Id live an extra 5 years from the lack of football related stress.

BroncoWave
09-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Id take that, I think Id live an extra 5 years from the lack of football related stress.

On the other flip side, I'm sure every Broncos fan thought the same in 1996, and here we sit after two Super Bowls still stressing about this shit. :lol:

Maybe it's just just hard-wired into our DNA.

VonDoom
09-30-2013, 03:25 PM
When it comes to each game individually, I always want a win. Why wouldn't you, right? I think it's too early to start all this undefeated talk anyway, but since it came up here ... I'd probably be concerned that a 16-0 would have enormous pressure going into the playoffs, which would only increase each round. You remember the 07 Patriots, right? That team looked unbeatable early, played a bunch of close games down the stretch, struggled in the AFCC and then ... well, you know. Would a loss during the season have done them good? Obviously we'll never know, but for a team (and QB) that already has a post season demon hanging over them until it's exorcised, I think the pressure would be too much.

But really, I don't care what else happens this year, as long as it ends in a Super Bowl win.

claymore
09-30-2013, 03:25 PM
On the other flip side, I'm sure every Broncos fan thought the same in 1996, and here we sit after two Super Bowls still stressing about this shit. :lol:

Maybe it's just just hard-wired into our DNA.

The first one was the best. I refused to drink for that one. I wanted to remember every second.

Northman
09-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Honestly with a perfectionist like PFM I think those comments of getting better etc. are genuine. I actually believe them when they say it. Plus I think staying humble always keeps you focused on getting better.

Personally is like to see some close games that we win and some we lose. I think that drives a strong desire to come back stronger. Just hope they blow out everyone once the playoffs start.

Agreed.

John knows all about the pressure of staying perfect. Im sure he and Peyton have a good idea of how to stay focused and keep working on the little things they can improve upon.

Broncolingus
09-30-2013, 03:30 PM
I don't have a preference (or idea) on undefeated regular season...

...NE went undefeated a few years ago, made it to the Super Bowl, and lost a close one on yet (another) once-in-a-lifetime catch that I don't think had anything to do with not having a loss in the regular season, so...

I do agree with Smith that it's more important to dominate folks in the postseason than have a perfect record in the regular season...and if a choice, I'd chose the former.

Either way, just win the friggin Super Bowl Denver cause opportunities (and seasons) don't come along like this often...

JMO...

Northman
09-30-2013, 03:34 PM
...NE went undefeated a few years ago, made it to the Super Bowl, and lost a close one on yet (another) once-in-a-lifetime catch that I don't think had anything to do with not having a loss in the regular season, so...

Yea, that was really just a lucky bounce that went the Giants way.

DenBronx
09-30-2013, 03:36 PM
I sometimes think a key loss will sort of wake up a team. Well, just watch last season. We beat Balt last year in the regular season then they came back to win a nail biter.

Undefeated is sweet but I would hate to see us fizzle out in the playoffs. The good teams get hot in the playoffs not regular season.

DenBronx
09-30-2013, 03:39 PM

Well, its NEs fault for ever letting the game be so close anyway. They had a full 4 Qs to build a bigger lead. In the final seconds anyone can make a play and anyone can get burned. Lucky or not Eli still had to pull off one of the greatest scrambles in SB history. 2nd of course to the Elway Helicopter. :)

Broncolingus
09-30-2013, 03:44 PM

You are wise beyond your years, brother...:D

Ziggy
09-30-2013, 03:58 PM
I can't stand it when the Dolphins pop the champagne every year when the last team gets it's first loss. 19-0<16-0. 2013 Denver Broncos----greatest team ever.

Broncolingus
09-30-2013, 04:04 PM
I can't stand it when the Dolphins pop the champagne every year when the last team gets it's first loss.

I agree...

On 'A Football Life' the other night with Don Shula (which was actually a decent show, btw), Don and the usual suspects (Boner-acontti, Tzconka Truck, etc.) all went out of their way to explain how it wasn't gloating or in-your-face stuff, but rather how it's respect to the that team and group of guys...yada, yada, yada.

...all I could say was...

http://troll.me/images/brick-tamland/hahaha-why-you-lie-to-me.jpg

HORSEPOWER 56
09-30-2013, 04:31 PM
It's too early to talk undefeated. Yes, we've been walloping teams so far, but they were the Ravens (who just lost to Buffalo at home), the 0-4 Giants who lead the league in giving the ball away, the Faiders (not a good team), and the Eagles (also not a good team).

If we stomp out the Chiefs and Pats like we did the others, I'll feel more confident. Let's get to at least 14-0 before we even think about undefeated.

Joel
09-30-2013, 04:32 PM
*shrugs* "Ain't braggin' if it's true." The '72 Dolphins earned the right to gloat as much as they like till someone does better. After losing SB VII in January '72 they never lost again till September '73, only lost one other game that year and capped it all with a second straight championship. No one's come closer to a SB threepeat, but a perfect pro football season is special; while three different teams have gone undefeated till the championship game (two in Chicago in less than a decade,) only the '48 Browns were truly perfect, and NFL purists will say that doesn't count because they were in the AAFC at the time.

So, yeah, way too early to talk perfection; Thanksgiving's the earliest anyone should do that. The '98 Broncos were truly dominant, but even they couldn't win >13 straight. I'd love to see it, since it would instantly vault us into conversations about the all time best teams (when asked which team was history best, Shula diplomatically replied, "Doesn't get much better than 17-0.") But winning in February is matters most.

As far as whether a loss would help or harm that cause, it's impossible to say. Perfection might keep us focused through the playoffs, or make us carelessly overconfident, or make mentally soft key players snap under the strain. A loss might make us hungry again and angry enough to refuse any further ones, or bring us back down to earth and disspell much of the magic this season's had so far or make us (and opponents) aware of our vulnerabilities. Which either would do would probably come down to coaching and experience.

In terms of records apart from SBs, the one that seems most in reach now is 73-0: The final score in Chicagos championship win over Washington (ironically, two years before Washington WON the championship that spoiled Chicagos second bid for a perfect season.) It's also both the most points scored and largest margin of victory in any NFL game (Chicago debuted the pro T that year, and it was lethal.)

BroncoWave
09-30-2013, 04:33 PM
There is no way we have a 73 point game. Fox will always pull Manning way before that. I wouldn't even want us to go for that record. The last thing we need is a garbage time injury.

weazel
09-30-2013, 04:43 PM
I would rather they lose a couple games, the pressure of one of those "perfect seasons" is stupid.

CrazyHorse
09-30-2013, 04:53 PM
I really don't care. If we manage to secure the #1 seed before the end of the season I hope we still play our starters a bit to keep them fresh, but pull them early regardless of score to avoid injury.

Day1BroncoFan
09-30-2013, 07:03 PM
one week at time...

I see improvement every week so I am sure they are actually working it, not just lip service.

Dapper Dan
09-30-2013, 10:18 PM
I honestly think the staff and Manning do well analyzing games, whether it's a win or loss.

But I think going undefeated puts way too much pressure on the team as a whole. That's why you're not suppose to mention a perfect game. It can get in your head. It may not with the Manning, but the rest of our team is mostly human.

TXBRONC
09-30-2013, 10:40 PM
I agree...

On 'A Football Life' the other night with Don Shula (which was actually a decent show, btw), Don and the usual suspects (Boner-acontti, Tzconka Truck, etc.) all went out of their way to explain how it wasn't gloating or in-your-face stuff, but rather how it's respect to the that team and group of guys...yada, yada, yada.

...all I could say was...

http://troll.me/images/brick-tamland/hahaha-why-you-lie-to-me.jpg

Yeah that's b.s. They do it rub it face of the NFL when last undefeated team is beaten.

cmc0605
10-01-2013, 12:55 AM
I won't lie. Going undefeated (with a SB win of course) would be 10x better than just winning the super bowl. Although the super bowl is the ultimate prize, someone wins a super bowl every year, and I'm quite sure very few football fans can even name the last 6 or 7 super bowl winners off the top of their head in under 30 seconds. I'm sure even less people could tell you who won in some random year...1982, 1987 1993, 1995, etc. People know what happened in 1972. A 19-0 feat would never be forgotten and it would be the ultimate "we got there first" bragging rights.

That said, undefeated talk is way too early to talk about. All it takes is one sloppy game, and that always seems to happen 1-2 times a year. Like @ATL last year, or those games where the defense suddenly can't tackle. I know undefeated talk is going to crop up a lot more on nfl.com, etc if we make it to 7-0 or 8-0, etc...they already have one or two "are we beatable?" articles. It will be annoying even for this Denver fan,

About the other stuff:

1) I'm sure if you got a lot of the players on this team drunk and asked them about a team like Jacksonville they'd laugh and say it will be an easy win. You always have some degree of lip service when addressing the media, and it's silly not to be confident right now. That said, I am absolutely convinced that Peyton Manning, Fox, and other veterans have set a defining culture in the locker room, one where people are actually being held accountable, people actually do want to improve, the chemistry is getting better, and that people are not overlooking the teams they are ready to play. And yea, the playoff game is still in their mind even if they say otherwise...they don't need a meaningless loss to remind them.

2) I don't think our guys will get mentally off track if we get to the point of being 13-0, 14-0, etc. The target is clear and I like the discipline. Forgetting about the perfect season though, if we end up clinching the first-round bye, I don't want to rest guys (that don't need it of course) in week 17. Two weeks off is too much, and recent history demonstrates that having top seeding is pretty much irrelevant in terms of post-season success. Home-field would be amazing. I think the only real obstacle in the AFC is New England still, even with KC playing well...playing them in Denver is infinitely better than at their place.

MasterShake
10-01-2013, 07:35 AM
I'm fine with a loss or two but you can't tell me you can't learn the same lessons in a 1 point win as you can in a 1 point loss. The only lesson the Broncos need to remember happened last January.

claymore
10-01-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm fine with a loss or two but you can't tell me you can't learn the same lessons in a 1 point win as you can in a 1 point loss. The only lesson the Broncos need to remember happened last January.

Great point. With this offense, a one point win is a wakeup call. It means our D absolutley melted down, or we became a turnover factory.

TXBRONC
10-01-2013, 08:43 AM

I agree. Adversity is adversity it doesn't matter if it is a win or lose. Even so I don't think Denver is going to go undefeated.

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 09:18 AM
I'll call Dallas as their first loss...and they will lose to NE as well.

Just throwing shit against the wall

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-01-2013, 09:33 AM
I'll call Dallas as their first loss...and they will lose to NE as well.

Just throwing shit against the wall

Phew, I almost fell out of my chair. :D