PDA

View Full Version : Source: Jack Del Rio won’t leave Broncos during 2013 season

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2013, 11:06 AM
A team source told The Denver Post Sunday morning that defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio will not leave the team during the 2013 season. Del Rio’s name has come up as a possible target for USC in its search for a new head football coach; the team fired Lane Kiffin after its Saturday loss to Arizona State.

Del Rio’s contract with Denver is up in February, and whether he stays with the Broncos or pursues a job elsewhere remains to be seen. The defensive coordinator played football and baseball collegiately at USC before spending 12 seasons in the NFL, and he’s coached at the pro level ever since, for the Saints, Ravens, Panthers, Jaguars and now Broncos. So far in 2013 he’s been responsible for leading a defense that has put up the best numbers against the run game in the NFL and has been a pleasant surprise after losing Von Miller and Champ Bailey for the beginning of the season.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/09/29/jack-del-rio-wont-leave-broncos-during-2013/22038/

Slick
09-29-2013, 11:37 AM
He was a great hire. I'd love to see him stick around at least until Peyton hangs it up.

Rick
09-29-2013, 11:43 AM
He was a great hire. I'd love to see him stick around at least until Peyton hangs it up.

I'd love to see Del Rio stick around until Del Rio decides to hang it up. :)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Give the man a raise.

Slick
09-29-2013, 12:06 PM
I said at least Rick but lets be realistic. Eventually he'll get another head coaching position. After what we went through with defensive coordinators, i'd love to see him get a long contract but I dont think its going to happen.

I love our coaching staff right now.

Rick
09-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Probably wishful thinking but I'm hoping he becomes our Dick LeBeau.

Tned
09-29-2013, 12:13 PM
I said at least Rick but lets be realistic. Eventually he'll get another head coaching position. After what we went through with defensive coordinators, i'd love to see him get a long contract but I dont think its going to happen.

I love our coaching staff right now.

It's hard to imagine that he won't get another HC offer this offseason. He will be the rare coordinator if he decides to re-up with the Broncos as DC rather than take a HC gig.

Northman
09-29-2013, 12:33 PM
I really hope we can convince him to stay. But, not shocked by the Kiffin firing. He sucks.

silkamilkamonico
09-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Why would anyone think Del RI would leave during the season?

silkamilkamonico
09-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Would love for him to stay, but he has said in the past he wants to be a head coach and will continue to explore opportunities. Like what has been said, I don't think we should be surprised this is coming out, if it isn't USC he certainly will be wanted in the NFL as well.

BroncoWave
09-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Why would anyone think Del RI would leave during the season?

Speculation that he might take the USC job. Rumor is he really wants it.

DenBronx
09-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Just pay the man! He was a fantastic hire.

SoCalImport
09-29-2013, 06:31 PM
I don't think pay will be the deciding factor anyway. If he wants to run his own ship again He'll go. He probably misses his pressed suits. I'd love him to say but I doubt he will.

Adam Gates is another concern but hopefully with Oakland and SanDiego suckin it up the NFL will take a 'wait and see' attitude about Denver's first-time coordinators.

Simple Jaded
09-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Hopefully someone like Rex Ryan is available when Del Rio leaves, the "promoting from within" has worked so well for Denver.

Broncolingus
09-29-2013, 07:30 PM

...well said.

I don't think $$$ will be the deciding factor for Del Rio...

...I think it'll be the opportunity where it's his ship now, his command. He's in charge, the boss, the head man, top dog, big cheese, a head honcho, number one...

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/f/ff/Airplane_Stack.jpg/400px-Airplane_Stack.jpg

HORSEPOWER 56
09-29-2013, 07:47 PM
JDR has been our second best move (next to Peyton) of the Elway/Fox era. I love this dude. He's got a bunch of no names and UDFAs playing way above expectations.

Look at our secondary: 3 UDFAs (Harris, Carter, Nacho), our LBs: a UDFA captain, a 3rd and 5th rounder, and a D line that's been damn near impossible to run on. No Champ, no Von and yet still killing it. JDR is our defensive MVP.

I hope he stays for a long time.

Dapper Dan
09-29-2013, 07:59 PM
That would really blow if he left. Especially to USC.

DenBronx
09-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Word on the street: Del Rio was just spotted at LAX.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1h

Del Rio may indeed take the USC job. But even if he does, won't leave the Broncos until end of the season. That's what Broncos tell me.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Former Jacksonville Jaguars head coach and current Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio was spotted at Los Angeles International Airport on Sunday, according to a tweet from University of Houston tennis coach Patrick Sullivan.

Here’s what Sullivan tweeted:

rest - http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/jack-del-rio-la-meeting-usc/205567

Dapper Dan
09-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Well. I think it would be good to promote within the organization. Here would be two lead candidates, in my opinion.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches/Richard-Smith/0cb4a011-2a6f-4c52-887f-ee4baff347f6

Richard Smith is in his third season as linebackers coach for the Denver Broncos in 2013 and his seventh season overall with the franchise after working with the team’s linebackers and special teams from 1993-96.

With a quarter century of experience at the NFL level, Smith was hired to his current position as the team’s linebackers coach on Jan. 25, 2011, after spending two seasons (2009-10) coaching under John Fox in Carolina. Prior to coaching the Panthers’ linebackers, Smith served as the defensive coordinator with the Texans for three years (2006-08) and with the Dolphins during the 2005 campaign. Prior to joining Miami, he coached with the Lions (2003-04), 49ers (1997-2002), Broncos (1993-96) and Oilers (1988-92). He has coached nine different players to a total of 11 Pro Bowls during his career.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches/Cory-Undlin/a7eb7af6-8092-427b-9449-444665484f94

Cory Undlin enters his second season with the Denver Broncos in 2013 and his first as the club’s secondary coach. A veteran of nine NFL seasons and 15 years overall, he was named to his current position on Jan. 15, 2013.

Before coming to Denver, Undlin, 42, spent three seasons with Jacksonville under current Broncos Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio, coaching the club’s defensive backs for two years and spending another season as a defensive assistant working with the defensive line and outside linebackers.

Smith has ties to Fox, so I don't think he would leave with JDR. I think Undlin may take a DC job with JDR. Both groups, the LBs and DBs, are playing amazing. Both are still playing without probably their best players. I'm still hoping JDRs stays. But I think this could be a glimpse ahead.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2013, 10:50 PM
DENVER -- Looking as relaxed as a guy can look when he’s the defensive coordinator of a team that has yet to have two of its best players in its lineup in four games this season, Jack Del Rio said he was aware Sunday about the speculation about his potential interest in the newly opened USC head coaching job.

But he just doesn't have much to offer right now.

“There isn’t anything to say. It’s all speculation at this point, I’ve got a job to do here, my focus is right there.’’

With that, Del Rio was out a side door of the Denver Broncos' locker room after Sunday’s 52-20 victory against the Philadelphia Eagles at Sports Authority Field at Mile High

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/1122/del-rio-says-focus-is-on-current-job

DenBronx
09-30-2013, 01:08 AM
rest - http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/jack-del-rio-la-meeting-usc/205567

So my little birdie was right.

TXBRONC
09-30-2013, 09:04 AM
USC is Del Rio's alma mature so would not be surprise see him go to USC after the season is over.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-30-2013, 10:06 AM
USC is Del Rio's alma mature so would not be surprise see him go to USC after the season is over.

Unfortunately for us, I think he would be a good fit at USC.

CoachChaz
09-30-2013, 10:09 AM
I find it entertaining that our coordinators are better HC candidates than our current HC. In all honesty, if Del Rio said he'd stay if we fired Fox and made Jack the HC...I'd probably take him up on that offer.

TXBRONC
09-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately for us, I think he would be a good fit at USC.

Even if USC wasn't play here Del Rio is going to be candidate for head coaching job.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Even if USC wasn't play here Del Rio is going to be candidate for head coaching job.

He would probably get $4-5 million per year at USC. That, plus the recruiting he would be able to pull off would make that job quite a bit more attractive than most jobs...including the NFL.

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 10:41 AM
I know GMs/ADs/Coaches, etc, lie all the time, but Pat Haden told Colin Cowherd this morning that he has not contacted any candidates.

TXBRONC
09-30-2013, 11:03 AM
He would probably get $4-5 million per year at USC. That, plus the recruiting he would be able to pull off would make that job quite a bit more attractive than most jobs...including the NFL.

What I'm saying is that even if USC was not an open job he's going to be a candidate for head coaching jobs and will more than likely be hired as head coach somewhere.

TXBRONC
09-30-2013, 11:10 AM
I find it entertaining that our coordinators are better HC candidates than our current HC. In all honesty, if Del Rio said he'd stay if we fired Fox and made Jack the HC...I'd probably take him up on that offer.

Since Bill Belicheck became the head coach of the Patriots how many times has been rumored to be a head coaching candidate at the college level?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2013, 11:11 AM

When someone is a HC, and has not been fired, why would a current HC, be a candidate to be a HC for another team?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-30-2013, 11:21 AM
What I'm saying is that even if USC was not an open job he's going to be a candidate for head coaching jobs and will more than likely be hired as head coach somewhere.

Yeah, I'm just hopeful that at his age with the career he's had he will be a little more picky about what kind of a job he takes.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I'm just hopeful that at his age with the career he's had he will be a little more picky about what kind of a job he takes.

from article:

Jack's wife, Linda, would be an asset because of her ability to make people feel at ease. She would be great in the living rooms of recruits talking with mothers. Mack Brown's wife is a tremendous asset in this regard at Texas. Del Rio would bring needed stability to the USC program. He's done a tremendous job at Denver. Historically, USC has not been a high-paying job (although lately the price has risen). Del Rio isn't making head-coaching money right now and as a native Californian and former USC player, I think he'd take the Southern Cal discount, and I also think USC would be willing to wait for Del Rio, who said Sunday he's staying with the Broncos through the 2013 season.

This might be very appealing to Jack - a native of California, and an alumni

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 12:29 PM
And here's your friendly reminder about Luke Del Rio, a walk on quarterback at Alabama....

I believe walk ons are not subject to transfer rules like sitting out a year.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2013, 01:08 PM
And here's your friendly reminder about Luke Del Rio, a walk on quarterback at Alabama....

I believe walk ons are not subject to transfer rules like sitting out a year.

from NCAA article:

The first is that whether an athlete is on scholarship affects surprising little in the transfer process. A walk-on must still get permission to contact and must still sit out in most cases.

http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2012/01/transfer-101/

claymore
09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Hopefully Del-Rio stays, if not I hope its his dream job. The 2013-2015 Broncos could be a very special unit. He could have almost any HC job on the planet if he is patient.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 51m

John Fox on Jack Del Rio: "I know he's focused on Dallas. He wasn't at LAX. I was with him at DelFriscos when that report happened."

G_Money
09-30-2013, 03:20 PM
This is John Fox's defense. For as long as he's head coach we should be fine. He TAUGHT Del Rio what he's using to run the D - keep in mind Del Rio was a coordinator for exactly one season before he was a head coach, and it was for Fox.

Del Rio has a special kind of love for huuuuuge DTs, which does affect our defense, but otherwise conceptually it's mostly Fox's. Do I think Del Rio is a good leader of men who had the defense all playing together? Yes. But losing Del Rio wouldn't be the end of the world.

That said, I really like the guy and he's certainly been willing to put in the effort, intensity and hours here that were sort of lacking his last few years in J-ville, per the rumor mill. If he wanted to wait for Fox to retire and take over the Broncos, I'd be fine with that.

I do think the lure of restoring his old school USC to glory and running that town probably appeals to him too much for him to stay past this year, but as long as we win a championship this year I won't begrudge him that. Win us a ring and you can go coach a college team, Jack. :salute: You can go to Disneyland or Mars if you want.

~G

broncon8tor
10-01-2013, 04:38 AM
Even if jack del rio were to leave I'm a 100% confident that the broncos will still be successfull, that's just how much faith I have in my number 1# favorite team and I know if we show them boys our support they will show us a good show.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-01-2013, 10:15 AM
For clarity, it's not the contract that will keep Jack Del Rio with the Broncos through the rest of this season. It's his moral conscience.

Del Rio, the Broncos' defensive coordinator, likely will eventually become a leading candidate for the Southern California head coaching position that opened Sunday with the firing of Lane Kiffin.

The position has been filled on a temporary basis by longtime assistant coach Ed Orgeron.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24210643/broncos-briefs-jack-del-rio-feels-he-has