PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted linebacker Wesley Woodyard now anchor of Broncos defense

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Eighty-eight years ago, New York Yankees dugout. First baseman Wally Pipp sat out his team's baseball game because of a headache. Lou Gehrig replaced him in the lineup and Pipp never regained his starting job.

What does this have to do with the Broncos?

Everything, according to Wesley Woodyard. Defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio has told his players the tale many a time, Woodyard said with a smile. The linebacker laughs: Wally Pipp and the next man up.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24194469/undrafted-linebacker-wesley-woodyard-now-anchor-broncos-defense

Simple Jaded
09-28-2013, 10:36 AM
This is becoming Woodyard's defense, if it's not already, time to start negotiations.

I remember 3-4 years ago when a lot of people started wanting Woodyard to replace Dj Williams, I thought y'all were high. I thought he should be moved to S, clearly l was wrong. Course he was 217-220 lbs pounds back then and I still had scars from Ian Gold.

chazoe60
09-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Woodyard isn't just one of my favorite players on THIS Broncos team, he's one of my favorite all time Broncos(check my adopted Bronco). I remember watching him in College and thinking everytime I saw him that he was the best player on the field. I watched the combine and was absolutely shocked when the commentators talked about him being undrafted or a late round selection, I guess they were right but I was even more right because look what he's doing in the NFL.

When I read his name among the list of UDFAs we signed that year I actually did a fist pump and a loud "YES!" in my living room. I knew he'd be a solid player, it's just who he is.

In the first game of the year one of the announcer said about Woodyard "he was just a special teamer last year until he filled in for Williams" and I wanted to leap through my tv and strangle the idiot. Wes has contributed on our defense in varying degrees since his rookie year.

He's one of my alltime favorites, sorta reminds me of a LBer version of Rod Smith. I hope he retires as a Bronco, many years from now.

LTC Pain
09-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Lay the wood on them Woody :)

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Wesley is not only a great player, he is also a great person

TXBRONC
09-28-2013, 12:37 PM
It can leave a person scratching their head how this guy went undrafted.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know if his brother is still in the military.

weazel
09-28-2013, 12:47 PM
if you dont like Wesley Woodyard, you dont like football!

weazel
09-28-2013, 12:48 PM
if you dont like Wesley Woodyard, you dont like football!

... and you might have the gay! check yourself for green blood.

DenBronx
09-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Woody and Chris Harris are perfect examples of why you do your homework on URRFAs and late rounders. Both are not just starters but doing damn good!

Glad the Broncos did there homework.

Broncolingus
09-29-2013, 09:33 PM
I was extremely impressed with this dude last year and have grown even more so this year...

...what a great kid and player!

:salute:

chazoe60
09-29-2013, 09:36 PM
I love the attitude he brings to the defense. He brings a mean streak that isn't fake or disengenuous like how it felt when DJ Williams tried to do the same. And you can tell from the way every other player on the defense interacts with him that he is without a doubt the leader and heart and soul of that unit.

DenBronx
09-29-2013, 09:36 PM
I wish someone had a gif of him and DeSean in todays game. I think Woody scared Jackson. lol