PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite unheralded Bronco of all time?

BroncoWave
09-27-2013, 07:33 PM
This idea just popped into my head and I thought it would make for a cool discussion. Basically, who is your favorite Bronco of all time who was little known, didn't play here long, or just wasn't very good? The more obscure the better. I think it would be interesting to learn about lesser-known former Broncos.

Mine isn't exactly lesser-known, but my answer to the question would be Tatum Bell. I will never forget the game where we signed him off the street from selling cell phones and played him in the Week 17 game where the Chargers destroyed us to end our playoff hopes. Bell was the one bright spot in that game as he looked like pretty much the only player giving that much of an effort. I always thought he was fun to watch play and I miss having him on the team.

Nomad
09-27-2013, 07:46 PM
He wasn't my favorite, but I always remember that game Quentin Griffin had against the Chiefs.

chazoe60
09-27-2013, 08:13 PM
I could name a bunch. Allen Aldridge, Maa Tanuvasa, Keith Traylor, Howard Griffith, and Brian Habib all come to mind just from our SB XXXII team alone, but my favorite might have been Mike "The Beast" Lodish. He played in 6 SBs and was always one of my favorites when he played here. My favorite Mike Lodish memory was seeing him punch Stephen Wiesnewski in the dick on Monday Night Football. :laugh:

topscribe
09-27-2013, 08:34 PM
I could name a bunch. Allen Aldridge, Maa Tanuvasa, Keith Traylor, Howard Griffith, and Brian Habib all come to mind just from our SB XXXII team alone, but my favorite might have been Mike "The Beast" Lodish. He played in 6 SBs and was always one of my favorites when he played here. My favorite Mike Lodish memory was seeing him punch Stephen Wiesnewski in the dick on Monday Night Football. :laugh:
Yes, all of those you named. There was also Cookie Gilchrist, Bob Scarpitto,
John Bramlett, Dave Costa, Al Denson, Mike Haffner, Larry Kaminski, Billy
Van Heusen, Paul Smith, Barney Chavous, Claudie Minor, Keith Bishop,
Tom Glassic, Bob Swenson, Rubin Carter . . . oh my, did I miss anybody?

But my favorite might have been Van Heusen. Man, I loved to watch him
take off on those fake punts! Those were some of the more unforgettable
moments during a forgettable era . . .

Poet
09-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Selvin Young. Short career, but he was fun to watch when he was playing.

olathebroncofan
09-27-2013, 08:38 PM
The tandem of Smith and Atwater comes to mind for me. Just watching them fly into the hole and destroy the RB. Remember the hit on Okoye?

As far as running backs, I will always remember when Sammy winder was in his last year, and in the last game or last home game coach Reeves tried gruys hardest to get him into the end zone so he could do his Mississippi mud dance. He never got in, but he did it after we turned the ball over on downs.

Army Bronco
09-27-2013, 08:45 PM
I liked Shane Dronett cause he would throw up on the centers hand before the snap and Luther Ellis because I knew him when he played college ball. Neither were good but Broncos for a little while.

smith49
09-27-2013, 08:47 PM
For some reason the name Bobby Humphrey comes to mind. I was in my early teens when he played. He was awesome for a short time.

Magnificent Seven
09-27-2013, 08:53 PM
I would pick:

QB: Tim Tebow

WR: Ashley Lelise

TE: Dwayne Carswell & Byron Chamberlain

RB: Olandis Gary & Aaron Craver

LB Ian Gold

DB Nick Ferguson, Kenoy Kennedy, and Lenny Walls

SoCalImport
09-27-2013, 09:00 PM
love that list. I'll add Glen Cadrez and Ray Crockett

chanesaw
09-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Anybody remember Gaston Green and Greg Lewis?

Dzone
09-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Rick Upchurch
Jack Dolbin
Tebow(Maybe not unheralded)
Steve Foley

Romanowski because he was a gym rat...was on a tour of the broncos facilities in 1999 a few weeks after the super bowl win and walked into the weight room and there was romo, all alone squatting away in the squat rack

Dreadnought
09-27-2013, 09:54 PM
But my favorite might have been Van Heusen. Man, I loved to watch him
take off on those fake punts! Those were some of the more unforgettable
moments during a forgettable era . . .

Van Heusen is a favorite of mine as well. In 1974 he was not only a Pro Bowl punter but a starting WR - and he averaged a ridiculous 26 yards per catch. Great on deep crossing routes. His knees were crap though, and his career as a WR was on and off

Slick
09-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Olandis Gary is a good one. I remember him scoring a touchdown in overtime after Trevor Price stripped Rich Gannon a play earlier in the snow at Mile High on a monday night. I was there with my Mom.

Orson Mobley. No real reason.

Rob Lytle and Norris Weese because I met them at Gart brothers when I was a little kid. Like 3 or 4 years old.

gregbroncs
09-27-2013, 10:04 PM
For some reason the name Bobby Humphrey comes to mind. I was in my early teens when he played. He was awesome for a short time.

This is who I was going to mention. I thought he was going to be the shit. Then he just kind of disappeared.

TXBRONC
09-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Ralf Tamm

Bobby Maples

Jim Turner

Don Latimer

Jim Ryan

Steve Foley

Rulon Jones

Mark Jackson

Joe Rizzo

Simple Jaded
09-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Jon Keyworth, dude stopped the parade to sign my penant when nobody else even saw me.

smith49
09-27-2013, 10:23 PM

This is who I was going to mention. I thought he was going to be the shit. They he just kind of disappeared.

Yah he was going to be our savior at RB. Something we hadn't had in a long time up to that point if ever really. I think he had a drug problem or something like that and it ended his career..........I think.

Slick
09-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Jon Keyworth, dude stopped the parade to sign my penant when nobody else even saw me.

How old were you?

Simple Jaded
09-27-2013, 10:31 PM
How old were you?

Like 5 or something.

Timmy!
09-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Sammy Winder.

Dzone
09-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Tony Lilly ...I knew this chick who claimed to be his girlfriend when he was in denver, she might have been , she was hot, but she was crazy

chazoe60
09-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Rich Tombstone Jackson, he deserves a bust in Canton.

OrangeHoof
09-27-2013, 10:44 PM
He wasn't my favorite, but I always remember that game Quentin Griffin had against the Colts.

OrangeHoof
09-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Jeremiah Castille.

EMB6903
09-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Tony jones.

/thread

tubby
09-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Widell brothers
Steve Watson
Rulon Jones

MOtorboat
09-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Rod Bernstein.

Plus he was a beast on Tecmo Bowl.

Oh, and Glenn Martinez.

EMB6903
09-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Anthony miller was a beast in Denver

CrazyHorse
09-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Brandon Stokley.

Dapper Dan
09-28-2013, 01:13 AM
Whenever I started becoming more of a sports fan, Brian Griese was quarterback. So, I would have to say him.

Obviously, Broncos fans loved them. But most people don't think about Tom Nalen, Matt Lepsis, Ben Hamilton, and the other OLinemen in the early 2000s.

Ed McCaffery was awesome. I enjoyed watching him.

Ian Gold.

Again, Broncos fans loved him, not as much known league-wide, IMO. Al Wilson.

Mike Anderson was one of my favorite runningbacks of all those lesser known RBs.

I really liked Jeb Putzier while he was in Denver.

Tned
09-28-2013, 01:36 AM
Depends on your definition of unheralded.

Some non-stars that come to mind are Steve Sewell (but he was a pretty big part of the offense in his day, but he's not a name you often here thrown around) and Kubiak for doing the backup work.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Kenoy Kennedy

Bronco4ever
09-28-2013, 02:57 AM
Maurice Clarett... But seriously, just going for an obscure player player who contributed a ton for this team, I'd say Keith Burns. Dude was an animal on special teams and filled in well when needed to sub on Defense. Was a captain and is now coaching under Shanny in DC. I also met him shortly after the Super Bowl runs and he seemed like a great guy.

Bronco4ever
09-28-2013, 03:01 AM
Maurice Clarett... But seriously, just going for an obscure player player who contributed a ton for this team, I'd say Keith Burns. Dude was an animal on special teams and filled in well when needed to sub on Defense. Was a captain and is now coaching under Shanny in DC. I also met him shortly after the Super Bowl runs and he seemed like a great guy.

Also, I think David Bruton is in the Keith Burns mold, but probably even better.

Skinny
09-28-2013, 06:22 AM
Dan Neil was one of my many favorites. I loved how he was so small yet at 285 pounds he kicked ass when he lined up against bigger DTs. Gibbs had a great eye for talent and finding pieces who could fit perfectly in the ZBS scheme. Unfortunate injuries derailed his career here.

BroncoJoe
09-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Steve Sewell - he was with us for many years, but no one really ever thinks about his contributions to the team. I think he is still with the organization - but I don't remember in what capacity.

Bobby Humphrey - supplemental draft pick who had an 1100 yard season his rookie year and 1200 the next. Then the idiot held out for more money and fell out of favor with the Broncos. Effectively ended his career. He could have been something special if he had a few more brain cells.

topscribe
09-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Olandis Gary is a good one. I remember him scoring a touchdown in overtime after Trevor Price stripped Rich Gannon a play earlier in the snow at Mile High on a monday night. I was there with my Mom.

Orson Mobley. No real reason.

Rob Lytle and Norris Weese because I met them at Gart brothers when I was a little kid. Like 3 or 4 years old.
Rob Lytle - tough as nails. Was really an asset to the team.

Tim Tebow reminded me of Norris Weese. Could extend plays with his feet,
but couldn't throw the ball into the ocean. Another like them was Bradlee
Van Pelt. At least they were fun to watch at times . . .

LTC Pain
09-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Rod Smith :)

smith49
09-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Steve Sewell - he was with us for many years, but no one really ever thinks about his contributions to the team. I think he is still with the organization - but I don't remember in what capacity.

Bobby Humphrey - supplemental draft pick who had an 1100 yard season his rookie year and 1200 the next. Then the idiot held out for more money and fell out of favor with the Broncos. Effectively ended his career. He could have been something special if he had a few more brain cells.

Huh. I thought bobby had a drug problem or something. I guess that's what I get for thinking.

topscribe
09-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Rod Smith :)
Very true, but not exactly "unheralded" in Broncos lore . . .

atwater27
09-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Kenny Walker, the deaf defensive end. And I was always hoping Kevin Kasper and Darius Watts could break out one day... Oh well. Also one of those that thought Mike Croel could have been so awesome, and I was high on Marcus Thomas and his backflipping ass.

Ravage!!!
09-28-2013, 11:01 AM
I guess I have a liking for our workhorses that were here for short times.

Orlandis Gary
Mike Anderson
Reuben Droughns

and although a bit more well known but still not a star, one of my favorites from the Super Bowl years, my favorite FB ... Howard Griffith

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-28-2013, 11:10 AM
I guess I have a liking for our workhorses that were here for short times.

Orlandis Gary
Mike Anderson
Reuben Droughns

and although a bit more well known but still not a star, one of my favorites from the Super Bowl years, my favorite FB ... Howard Griffith

I loved Mike Anderson too...the ex-Marine.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Whenever I started becoming more of a sports fan, Brian Griese was quarterback. So, I would have to say him.

Obviously, Broncos fans loved them. But most people don't think about Tom Nalen, Matt Lepsis, Ben Hamilton, and the other OLinemen in the early 2000s.

Ed McCaffery was awesome. I enjoyed watching him.

Ian Gold.

Again, Broncos fans loved him, not as much known league-wide, IMO. Al Wilson.

Mike Anderson was one of my favorite runningbacks of all those lesser known RBs.

I really liked Jeb Putzier while he was in Denver.

Being a die hard Boise State fan it was really cool for me to have Putzier on the team. Back when he was drafted there weren't many Boise players in the NFL. I love having players from my favorite college team on my favorite NFL team.

nevcraw
09-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Mike Young and Alfred Williams (he was unheralded when he got here)

nevcraw
09-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Not to hijack this great thread with another subject but not worth a new one.. How about the former super stars who came to Denver to finish their careers. I can think of 2. anymore?
Jerry Rice
Tony Dorsett

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Not to hijack this great thread with another subject but not worth a new one.. How about the former super stars who came to Denver to finish their careers. I can think of 2. anymore?
Jerry Rice
Tony Dorsett

Leon Lett
Chester McGlockton
Butch Johnson
Sam Adams
Neil Smith

EastCoastBronco
09-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Darien Gordon and Ray Crockett and my favorite of all...... Sammy Winder

spikerman
09-28-2013, 07:44 PM
I kind of liked Britt Hager. He was a tough guy.

turftoad
09-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Man I can't believe you guys leave out Simon Fletcher. Talk about unheralded, the guy was a QB sacking stud and never made the Probowl.

And what about Greg Kragen! The guy was small for a DT but didn't take any crap. Mecklenburg was a stud also but as much unheralded.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Man I can't believe you guys leave out Simon Fletcher. Talk about unheralded, the guy was a QB sacking stud and never made the Probowl.

And what about Greg Kragen! The guy was small for a DT but didn't take any crap. Mecklenburg was a stud also but as much unheralded.

I always thought Kragen was overrated. Your NT shouldn't be making tackles 5 yards downfield.

spikerman
09-28-2013, 08:48 PM
I always thought Kragen was overrated. Your NT shouldn't be making tackles 5 yards downfield.

I liked Kragen as well, but I believe it was him getting blown off the ball during Timmy Smith's historic Super Bowl performance.

MOtorboat
09-28-2013, 08:56 PM
I liked Kragen as well, but I believe it was him getting blown off the ball during Timmy Smith's historic Super Bowl performance.

That was also about the time that there was a philosophical change from Bum Phillips' 3-4 defense to the Dick LeBeau 3-4 defense...schematically it was an interesting turning point.

atwater27
09-29-2013, 12:24 AM
Michael brooks

Canmore
09-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Huh. I thought bobby had a drug problem or something. I guess that's what I get for thinking.

I thought I remembered the same thing.

camdisco24
09-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Brandon Stokley.

Mine too. Just something about that guy I enjoyed watching. (I also think he had a lot to do with Manning picking Denver, Stoke was like our outside salesman)

chazoe60
09-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Another guy I liked was George Coghill. He took some flack for not making a play in the giants game in 1998 that ended our perfect season but I always appreciated him as a hard worker and special teamer. He had a really cool attitude also, I remember that he got cut one time during camp and he just went home and got a job as a HS teacher, he later got resigned and said he had always planned to be a teacher when his playing career was over. Guess what he's doing now, that's right he's a teacher and coach.

spikerman
09-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Another guy I liked was George Coghill. He took some flack for not making a play in the giants game in 1998 that ended our perfect season but I always appreciated him as a hard worker and special teamer. He had a really cool attitude also, I remember that he got cut one time during camp and he just went home and got a job as a HS teacher, he later got resigned and said he had always planned to be a teacher when his playing career was over. Guess what he's doing now, that's right he's a teacher and coach. I thought Tito Paul was the one who didn't make the play.

chazoe60
09-29-2013, 10:57 AM
I thought Tito Paul was the one who didn't make the play.

It's been a long time Spiker, I thought Coghill was in on that. I could be wrong though, I've damaged my brain a lot since then. ;)

spikerman
09-29-2013, 12:28 PM
It's been a long time Spiker, I thought Coghill was in on that. I could be wrong though, I've damaged my brain a lot since then. ;)

I totally get it. I always liked Coghill too.

Broncolingus
09-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Theodore Anthony Gregory

http://troll.me/images/yaoi-ming-f-dat-face/-hahahaha-lol.jpg

sneakers
09-30-2013, 06:24 AM
Ron Dayne

Dreadnought
09-30-2013, 06:42 AM
Ron Dayne

Ron Dayne destroyed the Cowboys on one magical Thanksgiving day. He wasn't a huge Bronco contributor, but he has that, and I am thankful for it.

GEM
09-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Rich Karlis, I thought he was the toughest sob ever, kicking barefoot in the snow. :lol:

BigDaddyBronco
09-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Dale Carter, Michael Dean Perry, and Daryl Gardener. :)

I was always a big Dennis Smith fan, Howard Griffith, Greg Kragen, Orson Mobley, Tyrone Braxton.... many others.

Dreadnought
09-30-2013, 11:15 AM

You forgot Eddie Kennison. An oversight, I am sure

Northman
09-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Depends on your definition of unheralded.

Some non-stars that come to mind are Steve Sewell (but he was a pretty big part of the offense in his day, but he's not a name you often here thrown around) and Kubiak for doing the backup work.

Yea, Sewell was always one of mine.

BroncoNut
09-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Jake plummer

BroncoNut
09-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Ron Dayne

homer post

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-30-2013, 11:25 AM

I was always a big Dennis Smith fan, Howard Griffith, Greg Kragen, Orson Mobley, Tyrone Braxton.... many others.

Michael Dean Perry had a few really good years for us. It's too bad for him he got released the year we won our first SB.

Northman
09-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Basically my list,

Mike Harden
Steve Sewell
Ricky Nattiel
Willie Green
Tim Mckyer
Ian Gold
Terrell Buckley
Deltha O'Neal
Wymon "Goggles" Henderson

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Basically my list,

Mike Harden
Steve Sewell
Ricky Nattiel
Willie Green
Tim Mckyer
Ian Gold
Terrell Buckley
Deltha O'Neal
Wymon "Goggles" Henderson

The only thing I remember about Harden was being made famous by Bo Jackson.

Northman
09-30-2013, 11:45 AM
The only thing I remember about Harden was being made famous by Bo Jackson.

Bo Jackson made a lot of players famous to be honest. lol

Skinny
09-30-2013, 11:47 AM
I'd like to take a minute to give David Diaz-Infante a shout-out. Key backups need love too.

chazoe60
09-30-2013, 11:50 AM
You forgot Eddie Kennison. An oversight, I am sure

Thanks Dread, now I'm gonna be in a bad mood all day.

rationalfan
09-30-2013, 11:58 AM
tyrone braxton (solid contributor in both times here; plus, love the ND State Bison on the Broncos)
glyn milburn (so fun to watch in the open field)
clarence kay (best blocking TE in football, when he wasn't in trouble)
mike pritchard (love the Buffs)

tubby
10-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Jim Ryan
Al Wilson
Sam Brandon (Big Nickle)
Dwayne Carswell (House)

MasterShake
10-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Rich Karlis, I thought he was the toughest sob ever, kicking barefoot in the snow. :lol:

I was just going to say that! My wife worked for the Karlis Foundation out here in Denver for a bit and I had the chance to meet him a few times. Really cool dude.

Northman
10-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Actually loved Rich but still cant get over him hitting both sides of goal post in back to back games (i think they were back to back) and then seeing the cartoon in the post that showed him staring down a goal post that looked like a pick/comb. lmao

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Gerald Willhite

http://vimeo.com/58678967

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Although, there is one guy that did the most for the Broncos organization in the time he was with them. That guy is Chris Hinton. Without him...who knows where this organization would be today.

spikerman
10-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Although, there is one guy that did the most for the Broncos organization in the time he was with them. That guy is Chris Hinton. Without him...who knows where this organization would be today.

Yep, along with Mark Herrman.

G_Money
10-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Wesley Woodyard :salute: Mostly because I made the call when he was in college and he ain't never let me down. :lol:

Um... Glyn Milburn. Tom Nalen just made the Ring of Fame so he's not exactly unheralded, but the man was one of my favorite linemen ever. Howard Effing Griffith blasting holes for TD. John Mobley. I loved how Crockett played corner. House, just from a TE-to-OL perspective. Steve Watson. Meck, though he was pretty heralded back in the day along with Ruuuuulon.

There are a bunch. Not a lot of heralded Broncos for quite a long time.

~G

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-01-2013, 05:30 PM

He had a pretty good career for the Colts. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't John Elway.