PDA

View Full Version : Team Needs

Traveler
09-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Although quite early, I wonder what people think the positions of need are for the team. Guessing that much will depend on how many players we lose or retain that are in contract years or on one year deals.

Having said that, this team is deep depthwise, so not many new draftees will make the squad.

At what position(s) are we deficient?

Northman
09-27-2013, 09:03 AM
I still think DE is an issue.

Buff
09-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Center, Running Back, Linebacker, Defensive End

underrated29
09-27-2013, 09:08 AM
De
Lg
Cb
Wr
S

BroncoWave
09-27-2013, 09:09 AM
As of now I really don't see a single glaring need outside of DE, but I'm sure that will change once free agency hits. Really too early to say now.

TXBRONC
09-27-2013, 09:12 AM
I think the Broncos need to pay for Buff's sex change. :heh:

You can never have enough pass rushing defensive ends, defensive tackles, and running backs.

Traveler
09-27-2013, 09:24 AM
RB is a need? I get the DE and C are concerns, but RB isn't IMO.

Buff
09-27-2013, 09:28 AM

The team gave Ball and Hillman every opportunity to win the starting job and they couldn't do it. Moreno has been solid, but he's not a game changer. Nor are either of the other two guys. We can do a lot better at that position.

TXBRONC
09-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Given the beating those guy take you just never can have enough good ones.

We could also say the same about defensive tackle but good one are hard to come by.

claymore
09-27-2013, 10:01 AM
We are a suprisingly deep team in most areas. We will need to replace Decker. I dont think he will be worth what he is most likely to ask. We might need to concentrate on finding Vons replacement as well. Hope not, but Id rather have a plan in place if he fails his next ttest.

Traveler
09-27-2013, 10:11 AM

The team gave Ball and Hillman every opportunity to win the starting job and they couldn't do it. Moreno has been solid, but he's not a game changer. Nor are either of the other two guys. We can do a lot better at that position.

With whom?

Traveler
09-27-2013, 10:13 AM
We are a suprisingly deep team in most areas. We will need to replace Decker. I dont think he will be worth what he is most likely to ask. We might need to concentrate on finding Vons replacement as well. Hope not, but Id rather have a plan in place if he fails his next ttest.

Von isn't going anywhere. Agree with comments about Decker though.

TXBRONC
09-27-2013, 10:15 AM

I don't think they did concerning Ball. He was start in front Hillman and Moreno. Ball needs better ball security but he's starting to get the hole quicker and finishing runs.

Buff
09-27-2013, 10:18 AM
With whom?

With someone who creates matchup problems. Our RBs don't scare anyone. They are serviceable. But they probably fall in the 75th percentile of RBs in the league. I'm not saying I have a specific player in mind, just that we will eventually need to upgrade the overall talent at that position.

TXBRONC
09-27-2013, 10:18 AM

I don't know if the Broncos will just let Decker walk. The receiver that most likely least amount of time is Welker.

underrated29
09-27-2013, 10:22 AM
With knowshon montee who will be so sexy for us, Hillman and Cj Anderson I am fine with rb on our team. Sure we will prob take a flier on one, as we should every draft.

I still see de and Beadles as the weak spots....then cb for when champ retires.....I like drc and Harris jr, but we will need another one. Tc and kayvon are great but I'd like another cb on the level of champ/drc-a lock down guy.

BroncoWave
09-27-2013, 10:27 AM

I can't imagine we use a high draft pick at that position three years in a row. I think Hillman and Ball will be back next year. Wouldn't even shock me to see Moreno back at the right price. You have the wildcard in Anderson too. Our backs aren't great, but they are good enough and fit the offense well IMO.

UnderArmour
09-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Decker will probably leave town after this year unless he accepts a hometown discount. Re-signing DRC will take priority over Decker based on the value to the team, but we are prepared for him to walk. DE is definitely a need and I would still keep an eye on safeties. We should be fine at RB and CB. If a first round DT drops to us, we're taking him no questions asked. Panthers got a steal in Star Lotulelei and Sheldon Richardson is looking great for the Jets.

I think with Woodyard and Trevathan our defensive identity is starting to lean more towards fast linebackers, just like our 2005 team with Gold, Wilson, and DJ. There really is not any good reason to take a 4-3 linebacker early in the draft unless you spot a franchise guy ala Luke Kuechly. Fox prefers to develop his players and not start rookies (with a few exceptions), so I just don't see a LB. O-Line as a whole is not going to be touched in offseason, maybe some developmental guys.

So in order of need anticipating offseason losses: DE, WR, CB, DT, LB with the flexibility to draft BPA.

Buff
09-27-2013, 11:33 AM
I can't imagine we use a high draft pick at that position three years in a row. I think Hillman and Ball will be back next year. Wouldn't even shock me to see Moreno back at the right price. You have the wildcard in Anderson too. Our backs aren't great, but they are good enough and fit the offense well IMO.

I agree with this... Manning covers up a lot of deficiencies at the RB position, so we have the luxury of getting by with some average backs. I think it will become a more glaring need in the 2015-2016 season when Manning is gone.

claymore
09-27-2013, 11:36 AM
With knowshon montee who will be so sexy for us, Hillman and Cj Anderson I am fine with rb on our team. Sure we will prob take a flier on one, as we should every draft.

I still see de and Beadles as the weak spots....then cb for when champ retires.....I like drc and Harris jr, but we will need another one. Tc and kayvon are great but I'd like another cb on the level of champ/drc-a lock down guy.
As for Montee, I think we need to get a different RB coach. Studsville was Tiki Barbers RB coach, and he didnt fix his fumbling issues until Studsville left. RB coach needs to be held accountable IMO.

Decker will probably leave town after this year unless he accepts a hometown discount. Re-signing DRC will take priority over Decker based on the value to the team, but we are prepared for him to walk. DE is definitely a need and I would still keep an eye on safeties. We should be fine at RB and CB. If a first round DT drops to us, we're taking him no questions asked. Panthers got a steal in Star Lotulelei and Sheldon Richardson is looking great for the Jets.

I think with Woodyard and Trevathan our defensive identity is starting to lean more towards fast linebackers, just like our 2005 team with Gold, Wilson, and DJ. There really is not any good reason to take a 4-3 linebacker early in the draft unless you spot a franchise guy ala Luke Kuechly. Fox prefers to develop his players and not start rookies (with a few exceptions), so I just don't see a LB. O-Line as a whole is not going to be touched in offseason, maybe some developmental guys.

So in order of need anticipating offseason losses: DE, WR, CB, DT, LB with the flexibility to draft BPA.

Agree 100%. I think with Del rio as DC, we will also be able to pick later round LB's and turn them into quality starters.

CoachChaz
09-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Elite RB's are a commodity in today's NFL. As long as you have guys that can block and pick up a first down...you are fine. Defenses dont game plan for RB's unless they play for a team with a serious deficiency at QB.

We have quite a few key FA's after this year and we certainly wont have the money to keep them all, so it comes down to prioritization. The draft will tell us which players are expendable. Even if Ayers has a good season, he will be an FA and I see him walking. So, we'll need a pass rushing DE since Wolfe isnt that guy and Quanterrus doesnt seem like he'll ever fully heal. I'll assume we'll re-sign Beadles, so DE would have to be the top priority with CB being #2 if we cant bring DRC back.

BroncoWave
09-27-2013, 11:57 AM
I agree with this... Manning covers up a lot of deficiencies at the RB position, so we have the luxury of getting by with some average backs. I think it will become a more glaring need in the 2015-2016 season when Manning is gone.

Probably so, and we can wait until then to address it IMO. Rookie RBs usually don't take too long to get up to speed.

Buff
09-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Probably so, and we can wait until then to address it IMO. Rookie RBs usually don't take too long to get up to speed.

Which is sort of my point on why Ball isn't the answer. I know they are both young and will develop more, but I think what you see is what you get with Hillman and Ball.

broncohead
09-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Center, DE, Possibly WR and CB, later round LB and OL depth

CoachChaz
09-27-2013, 12:56 PM
If I put them in order, I'd go DE, CB, WR, depth, depth, depth.

If Ramirez can continue to play as he has been...I dont see center as a top priority. Then again...I'm not one of those that saw 2 or 3 bad plays from him last year and turned that into a witch hunt.

Ayers is likely gone and even if Wolfe decides to play as well as he did last year...he still isnt a pass rusher.

DRC will be the top corner on the market and as long as we're still paying Old Man Bailey 10 mil a year...we cant afford another elite corner.

I can also see Decker leaving. He'll want more than he is worth and tagging him isnt the answer

Dreadnought
09-27-2013, 01:18 PM

I hate to break it to some of youse guys, but If Peyton Manning plays another year I would rate the chances of Decker leaving at about zero. His remaining time is too short to break in another WR like that, and Decker is a perfect fit for him. Smart, runs precise routes, sees the same things and makes the same reads as Peyton does, good YAC, blocks well, tough to bring down.

I think the highest priority is finding the heir apparent to manning? Osweiler? Dysert? Somebody else?

CoachChaz
09-27-2013, 01:38 PM
I hate to break it to some of youse guys, but If Peyton Manning plays another year I would rate the chances of Decker leaving at about zero. His remaining time is too short to break in another WR like that, and Decker is a perfect fit for him. Smart, runs precise routes, sees the same things and makes the same reads as Peyton does, good YAC, blocks well, tough to bring down.

I think the highest priority is finding the heir apparent to manning? Osweiler? Dysert? Somebody else?

You're not going to find a "replacement" for Manning and you're not going to break the bank on an above average receiver to keep Manning happy. That's just not smart football operations

Dreadnought
09-27-2013, 01:59 PM
You're not going to find a "replacement" for Manning and you're not going to break the bank on an above average receiver to keep Manning happy. That's just not smart football operations

I meant a replacement for Decker, not Manning. Our short term needs are really pretty minimal; mostly we can stand pat. Plus, I think Decker is far closer to "elite" than "above average"

Magnificent Seven
09-27-2013, 02:00 PM
I am somewhat concerned with Broncos' secondary. They need to work on defending the opponents' read-option attack. The front 7 looks great because they didn't allow Ray Rice, Wilson/Jacob, and McFadden to rush over 40 yards. My point is that secondary needs to step up and knock them out. That's all I've got to say for now.

Ravage!!!
09-27-2013, 02:55 PM
I think we need a RB in a bad way. I don't see one on the roster that I think could really be the horse. I had hopes for Ball, and I know its WAYYY to early to judge him on fumbles and I'm not. But I don't see anything from him that I see from other rookies that make me say "yeah, he has it." Very plain jane.

To me:

DE
C ..
RB

if you want to go deeper, can never have too much depth at:

WR
LB
OL

Ravage!!!
09-27-2013, 02:57 PM

Decker is above average and a very good #2 WR. We don't need a guy to be another #1 like Atlanta has. Decker fills his role as a big, tall, stout WR that runs VERY good routes. I don't think we would have to "break the bank" for him, but he definitely deserves quality money for being a quality receiver.

Ravage!!!
09-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Decker will probably leave town after this year unless he accepts a hometown discount. Re-signing DRC will take priority over Decker based on the value to the team, but we are prepared for him to walk.

I disagree. I think Decker is more important to this team than DRC. I haven't been overly impressed with him at all, and this team is based around our offensive production.

TXBRONC
09-27-2013, 03:10 PM
I am somewhat concerned with Broncos' secondary. They need to work on defending the opponents' read-option attack. The front 7 looks great because they didn't allow Ray Rice, Wilson/Jacob, and McFadden to rush over 40 yards. My point is that secondary needs to step up and knock them out. That's all I've got to say for now.

I think we have a lot depth in the secondary already. But lets say a cornerback the caliber of Champ Bailey were just fall into our lap on draft day I wouldn't be opposed to taking him.

Dreadnought
09-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Decker is above average and a very good #2 WR. We don't need a guy to be another #1 like Atlanta has. Decker fills his role as a big, tall, stout WR that runs VERY good routes. I don't think we would have to "break the bank" for him, but he definitely deserves quality money for being a quality receiver.

Looks like we won't be in bad shape cap space-wise. No reason we can't take care of this.

Tamme and Dreesen are both making @ double what Decker is now. I suspect they won't next year one way or another. Julius Thomas makes these guys position kind of precarious

TXBRONC
09-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Looks like we won't be in bad shape cap space-wise. No reason we can't take care of this.

Tamme and Dreesen are both making @ double what Decker is now. I suspect they won't next year one way or another. Julius Thomas makes these guys position kind of precarious

I remember there was some thought around here that Decker would wash out in about two or three years. The same was said about Julius and Demaryius Thomas as well.

CoachChaz
09-27-2013, 03:33 PM

Fine...but where is that money coming from? You'll pay him instead of DRC and suddenly your secondary is comprised of a 36 year old and a nickel back. And you have zero pass rush to help them.

Decker is probably more important to our team than any other, so I say let him test the market. The rest of the NFL knows he wont duplicate these numbers on a team not ran by Manning and we need to recognize that as well. If some other team values him as a #1...they can have him. I'm not going to over pay my #2 option and sacrifice my defense in the process.

Again...it comes down to smart organizational decisions. if Elway ever gets to the point where he says "screw the defense, our offense will just outscore everyone", then that is the day he should be fired.

Slick
09-27-2013, 03:38 PM
I remember there was some thought around here that Decker would wash out in about two or three years. The same was said about Julius and Demaryius Thomas as well.

Clay was all over D Thomas. Boy was he wrong.

CoachChaz
09-27-2013, 03:39 PM

I disagree. We are already pushing it if there isnt a significant increase in the cap number for the next season. I'm going to assume we want to keep Decker, DRC, Woodyard, Beadles, DRC and probably Ayers. And right now, there is no way we could do it. So we need a bunch of team friendly contracts in addition to a nice cap increase. Otherwise, we are saying goodbye to some key pieces

claymore
09-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Clay was all over D Thomas. Boy was he wrong.

I thought he was a great player, but thought it was retarded to draft a WR with a broken foot... When Dez Bryant was on the board.

claymore
09-27-2013, 03:54 PM
I disagree. I think Decker is more important to this team than DRC. I haven't been overly impressed with him at all, and this team is based around our offensive production.

Im shocked at hearing this. I think Decker is pretty easily replaceable. DRC is not.

EMB6903
09-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Denver has 3 average running backs right now.

I could see it being a need this offseason.

weazel
09-27-2013, 03:59 PM
De
lt
c

EMB6903
09-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Center??

Based off what?

Not lack of production. Manny has been great so far.

CoachChaz
09-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Im shocked at hearing this. I think Decker is pretty easily replaceable. DRC is not.

Amen.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-27-2013, 04:13 PM
DE. We need a true pass rushing stud. Even when Miller comes back, having someone else to apply pressure is the key. I agree with Decker being "expendable". Sure, he's a good receiver and it's great to have him, but he's definitely not a #1 who would cause the offense to suffer greatly without him. Maybe King can be that guy, maybe not, but replacing Decker is a lot easier than replacing DT, Welker, or OJ.

DenBronx
09-27-2013, 04:15 PM

I agree about the Decker part. Would like to see them all here until Manning retires. We have the leagues best WR group. So many blast Decker for game 1 but he led the team game 2, game 3 and has chemistry in this offense. His route running is very good but him and DT could work on those hands a little bit. He would be a #1 on many teams.

Slick
09-27-2013, 05:04 PM
I thought he was a great player, but thought it was retarded to draft a WR with a broken foot... When Dez Bryant was on the board.

That's not how I remember it, not that it really matters. You hated McD so much that the DT draft pick was just collateral damage at that time.

MOtorboat
09-27-2013, 05:05 PM
De
lt
c

I assume you're saying this because Clady is injured?

MOtorboat
09-27-2013, 05:08 PM
RB

Everyone knows I have no problem with Moreno, but Denver simply needs more at running back. And that's the only position on the field where going into next year I think Denver could potentially have a problem. Part of that is because I believe Moreno's contract is up, and if he has a decent year, Denver won't be able to afford to keep him, because they have to keep so many other guys.

BTW, I think keeping DRC is a pipe dream. So I guess corner is probably a spot that will need to be addressed, depending on if Bailey can ever bounce back from this injury.

Buff
09-27-2013, 05:13 PM
RB

Everyone knows I have no problem with Moreno, but Denver simply needs more at running back. And that's the only position on the field where going into next year I think Denver could potentially have a problem. Part of that is because I believe Moreno's contract is up, and if he has a decent year, Denver won't be able to afford to keep him, because they have to keep so many other guys.

BTW, I think keeping DRC is a pipe dream. So I guess corner is probably a spot that will need to be addressed, depending on if Bailey can ever bounce back from this injury.

I fully expect the Broncos to cut Bailey and give that $$ to DRC if he is able to play at this level all year. Too difficult to find a tall/fast DB who can cover on an island.

claymore
09-27-2013, 05:15 PM
That's not how I remember it, not that it really matters. You hated McD so much that the DT draft pick was just collateral damage at that time.

I hated/hate Mcd, but I wasnt so blinded in hate to not have a reason. WR's with broken feet, hands, legs etc should be in the later rounds IMO.

weazel
09-27-2013, 05:16 PM
I assume you're saying this because Clady is injured?

definitely. I think if a team is this close, they need to do all they can to succeed and I don't think Manning is going to get enough protection from who they have at LT.

I agree that they need a better running game.

BroncoWave
09-27-2013, 07:43 PM
I hated/hate Mcd, but I wasnt so blinded in hate to not have a reason. WR's with broken feet, hands, legs etc should be in the later rounds IMO.

Except McD was completely right about DT. If a guy can play, so what if he's hurt? Broken bones heal. I wouldn't trade DT for Dez in a million years.

chazoe60
09-27-2013, 08:35 PM
I thought I would be saying Center but after watching Manny (isoing him on a rewatch of the Giants game and Raiders game) he has been much improved and has serious potential as a starting Center in this league.

An actual Pass rushing threat at DE is a definite need. Maybe the guy we drafted who is hurt, can't remember his name, can be that guy. I actually like Ayers more than most but he is what he is and that is a run stuffer not a consistent pass rusher.

OL depth is always a need for everyone.

CrazyHorse
09-28-2013, 01:35 AM
RDE, O-Line Depth, CB, RB

Simple Jaded
09-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Resign Woodyard, Decker, DRC and Harris Jr are most important offseason needs, if you don't sign those players you're going backwards.

Free agency would start and end with Everson Griffin or Michael Johnson.

Draft needs would still include DE, along with LG and depth at C, RB and WR.

DenBronx
09-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Team needs = Nothing