PDA

View Full Version : Robert Ayers?

Jsteve01
09-26-2013, 09:59 PM
I had family in town and never got to watch the game. Are the two sacks deceptive or did he really look that good rushing the passer?

shank
09-26-2013, 10:05 PM
you should get a new family.

Dzone
09-26-2013, 10:09 PM
lol...
Ayers seems to be a good player. He plays with some attitude. He's mad

Krugan
09-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Isnt he in a contract year?

What I saw was sporadic at best. And I like the kid, just wish he was more consistent.

The sacks are there, and he had some pressures, just seems they come on 2nd down, not third.

Simple Jaded
09-26-2013, 11:30 PM
One sack was legit, the other came when Pryor was buying time and ultimately gave himself up, irrc.

TXBRONC
09-27-2013, 06:25 AM
One sack was legit, the other came when Pryor was buying time and ultimately gave himself up, irrc.

Yes that is correct, Ayers second sack was on Pryor giving himself up.

Dreadnought
09-27-2013, 06:37 AM
He played a solid game, much improved from past years

CoachChaz
09-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Which should only get better once Miller returns. Phillips has been a ghost the last 2 games.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Which should only get better once Miller returns. Phillips has been a ghost the last 2 games.

So has Derek Wolfe. I haven't seen him even get pressure one time so far.

CoachChaz
09-27-2013, 09:41 AM
So has Derek Wolfe. I haven't seen him even get pressure one time so far.

I agree completely. He's probably the one regular DL whose name has been anonymous thus far. Still waiting for him to live up to all the hype we heard about him in the off-season

Dzone
09-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Thats true, havent seen wolfe do much of anything yet. I hope that sprained neck isnt holding him back.
I saw sly williams on the field once. He didnt do anything, but I did see him against oakland

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Thats true, havent seen wolfe do much of anything yet. I hope that sprained neck isnt holding him back.
I saw sly williams on the field once. He didnt do anything, but I did see him against oakland

I'm not worried about Sly. Malik Jackson has earned his playing time, and it's not like Sly is ready to take Knighton's or Vickerson's spot.

I think Wolfe has been getting doubled a lot, if I remember correctly. His play will probably improve a lot when Miller returns.

claymore
09-27-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm not worried about Sly. Malik Jackson has earned his playing time, and it's not like Sly is ready to take Knighton's or Vickerson's spot.

I think Wolfe has been getting doubled a lot, if I remember correctly. His play will probably improve a lot when Miller returns.

Miller coming back will help everyone on the D I think.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2013, 10:02 AM
It's difficult to remember, because of their dominance so far, but the Broncos had a significant problem when this season began.

Who would replace Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller and generate a pass rush? Shaun Phillips seemed like a logical candidate. The former San Diego Chargers star had a bunch of sacks in his NFL career. Derek Wolfe seemed ready for double-digit sacks after a promising rookie year in 2012.

Denver's sack leader through three games? Defensive end Robert Ayers.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24186353/robert-ayers-surprise-leader-sacks-undefeated-denver-broncos

Dreadnought
09-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Another really sound game from Ayers. I am warming to him.

GEM
09-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Weird how Moreno and Ayers were drafted the same year, in the same round, and they are both now starting to come on. Good stuff.

CoachChaz
09-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Weird how Moreno and Ayers were drafted the same year, in the same round, and they are both now starting to come on. Good stuff.

Contract year. Imagine that

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Contract year. Imagine that

I don't know if that's fair. I think Robert has played well throughout the years. I thought he looked like our best front 7 player in his second year before he got hurt. I think one think that's helping him this year is he said they had him drop 15 pounds this offseason. He looks a lot more explosive now.

CoachChaz
09-30-2013, 10:10 AM
I don't know if that's fair. I think Robert has played well throughout the years. I thought he looked like our best front 7 player in his second year before he got hurt. I think one think that's helping him this year is he said they had him drop 15 pounds this offseason. He looks a lot more explosive now.

My comment wasnt intended to assume they waited until now. But with all players...there is always that extra motivation. Hard to deny that

BroncoNut
09-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Isnt he in a contract year?

What I saw was sporadic at best. And I like the kid, just wish he was more consistent.

The sacks are there, and he had some pressures, just seems they come on 2nd down, not third.

aren't we all in a contract year when it gets right down to it? think about that, serioulsly

BroncoNut
09-30-2013, 12:10 PM

probably, I was wondering just where in the heck Wolfe has been . on a side note, I like both Mexicans on the D line right now

Mike
09-30-2013, 12:18 PM
probably, I was wondering just where in the heck Wolfe has been . on a side note, I like both Mexicans on the D line right now

Stopping the run and occupying lineman so they stay off our LBs.

CoachChaz
09-30-2013, 12:36 PM

Not exactly what we want from a DE...but at least he is doing something

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 12:38 PM

I was kind of under the impression that that's exactly what Del Rio likes in his DEs.

Ravage!!!
09-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Not to mention, he's basically a DT more than a pass rushing DE.

rationalfan
09-30-2013, 01:46 PM

i see your point, but i think he's doing more than you think. look at this year's stats:

robert ayers: 3.5 sacks

elvis dumervil: 2 sacks

this isn't including QB pressures (which could be way in either one's favor, i have no idea on dumervil.) but i suspect if dumervil was still in denver with 3.5 sacks in four games he'd be getting positive reviews.

rationalfan
09-30-2013, 01:48 PM
aren't we all in a contract year when it gets right down to it? think about that, serioulsly

great point. but it's easier to repeat overused cliches.

CoachChaz
09-30-2013, 02:27 PM
i see your point, but i think he's doing more than you think. look at this year's stats:

robert ayers: 3.5 sacks

elvis dumervil: 2 sacks

this isn't including QB pressures (which could be way in either one's favor, i have no idea on dumervil.) but i suspect if dumervil was still in denver with 3.5 sacks in four games he'd be getting positive reviews.

I was referring to Wolfe...not Ayers.

CoachChaz
09-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I was kind of under the impression that that's exactly what Del Rio likes in his DEs.

If a line clogging DE that frees up linebackers is what Del Rio wants...he may want to reconsider. It's fine if that guy also has pass rushing skills, but if he doesnt, then you put the pass rush and pass defending pressure on your LB's. Having Miller helps that cause, but the only pressure we get from the left side right now is from Phillips...and that has been sporadic at best.

rationalfan
09-30-2013, 02:31 PM
I was referring to Wolfe...not Ayers.

gotcha. my bad.

my point remains, though.

BroncoNut
09-30-2013, 02:33 PM
he was having more big plays last season it seems. seemed like a fair share of of philly's runs yesterday went to the linebackers

Broncolingus
09-30-2013, 03:56 PM
you should get a new family.

lmao! :D

I think he's where he is...

...certainly not a great, or even above average pass rusher, but also not the worst Denver could do.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-30-2013, 09:30 PM

If a line clogging DE that frees up linebackers is what Del Rio wants...he may want to reconsider. It's fine if that guy also has pass rushing skills, but if he doesnt, then you put the pass rush and pass defending pressure on your LB's. Having Miller helps that cause, but the only pressure we get from the left side right now is from Phillips...and that has been sporadic at best.

The other thing to consider about Wolfe is that he got the majority of his sacks and pressures last year from the 3 technique spot with Doom and Von coming off the edges. I think Wolfe is a better interior rusher than he is off the edge.

He's a good LDE because he can anchor against the run, but he's an effort pass rusher, not a natural speed guy. I think Wolfe's numbers will go up a lot once Von returns if they go back to kicking him inside.

TXBRONC
09-30-2013, 09:43 PM
The other thing to consider about Wolfe is that he got the majority of his sacks and pressures last year from the 3 technique spot with Doom and Von coming off the edges. I think Wolfe is a better interior rusher than he is off the edge.

He's a good LDE because he can anchor against the run, but he's an effort pass rusher, not a natural speed guy. I think Wolfe's numbers will go up a lot once Von returns if they go back to kicking him inside.

That's what I think too.

LTC Pain
10-01-2013, 03:44 PM
We need to re-sign Ayers to an extension before the end of the season. The boy is making plays and pressuring the QB.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-01-2013, 03:46 PM

I thought they had been kicking him inside with Malik Jackson on passing downs?

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Screw it. Go get Jared Allen in the off-season

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Screw it. Go get Jared Allen in the off-season

Entice him with Colorado's large elk herd. :D

CoachChaz
10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Entice him with Colorado's large elk herd. :D

Why not. Finally give him a chance to play for a Super Bowl contender.

jhns
10-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Wolfe doesn't have the skillset to be a pass rushing DE. I have no idea why anyone would expect him to fill that role.

Ayers does have the ability to be a complete DE and I'm sure he will continue to grow under this coaching staff. They know how to get the most out of their players. It's good to see him improving.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-01-2013, 05:31 PM
We need to re-sign Ayers to an extension before the end of the season. The boy is making plays and pressuring the QB.

I hesitate to throw a lot of cash at him. Where was he for the 1st 4 years? It's a contract year so I can't be sure he will keep this up after he gets paid. Remember, he came on strong his last year in Tennessee too. Last year he couldn't even beat out Wolfe at DE and even though he came in on passing downs he still registered less sacks than Von, Doom, and Wolfe playing alongside them.

I'm hoping Quanterus Smith pans out. Yes, Ayers is playing well right now, but I just don't trust it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-01-2013, 05:56 PM
I hesitate to throw a lot of cash at him. Where was he for the 1st 4 years? It's a contract year so I can't be sure he will keep this up after he gets paid. Remember, he came on strong his last year in Tennessee too. Last year he couldn't even beat out Wolfe at DE and even though he came in on passing downs he still registered less sacks than Von, Doom, and Wolfe playing alongside them.

I'm hoping Quanterus Smith pans out. Yes, Ayers is playing well right now, but I just don't trust it.

He played really well in the 3-4 before he got hurt in that Baltimore game his second year.

broncohead
10-01-2013, 08:21 PM
I was never a fan of Ayers. Hated the pick when we were a 3-4 team and stand by the fact he isn't a pass rusher. He is a LDE and an average at best starter. I'd keep him if he asks for a reasonable contract but the position can be upgraded imo

Dapper Dan
10-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Why not. Finally give him a chance to play for a Super Bowl contender.

Bring Adrian Peterson with him.

Dapper Dan
10-02-2013, 12:00 AM
I don't see Ayers asking for too much money.

I think he's just getting settled in with the right defensive scheme.

He's never been a sack machine. I don't think I'd expect that to change.

bcbronc
10-02-2013, 01:05 AM
Ayers is a valuable piece in our defence. Great against the run and not a black hole in pass rush. Biggest thing to consider with his first few years is how much he was moved around...from OLB to run stuffing end to pass rushing 3 tech at times, for a guy viewed as a project coming out of college, all the different techniques and weight fluctuations wasn't exactly ideal.

Looks like he might be settling into a role here, and he should only get better when Von returns. I'd like to see him re-signed, but has to make sense vs the cap.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Ayers is a valuable piece in our defence. Great against the run and not a black hole in pass rush. Biggest thing to consider with his first few years is how much he was moved around...from OLB to run stuffing end to pass rushing 3 tech at times, for a guy viewed as a project coming out of college, all the different techniques and weight fluctuations wasn't exactly ideal.

Looks like he might be settling into a role here, and he should only get better when Von returns. I'd like to see him re-signed, but has to make sense vs the cap.

People can say what they want, but he's been our best pass rusher this year.

tubby
10-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Bob BEAST Ayers

- OMO

claymore
10-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Last night On 104.3 the fan, Alfred Williams said he is probably playing himself into a Franchise Tag at the end of the year. Id be happy with that.

G_Money
10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Alfred Williams had better be high. It does take linemen a few years to get the hang of things, but just last year Ayers was being blasted by his DC for being a lazy SOB who made no impact on the field. This version of Ayers can keep playing for me, absolutely. The guy has been giving it everything out there, and playing well with both technique and attentiveness. But I am not paying him 11 million dollars to keep him around.

I'm very pleased to see him doing well, giving effort, and contributing heavily. I ain't that pleased. He can stay for rotational-ish salary, as Chaz alluded to in a prior thread. For max money some other sucker can be on the hook for a guy who only shows up when it's a contract year. We paid for enough of those in Shanahan's days as GM, no need to go back there now - not when there are so many guys we'll need to keep this offseason.

~G

claymore
10-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Alfred Williams had better be high. It does take linemen a few years to get the hang of things, but just last year Ayers was being blasted by his DC for being a lazy SOB who made no impact on the field. This version of Ayers can keep playing for me, absolutely. The guy has been giving it everything out there, and playing well with both technique and attentiveness. But I am not paying him 11 million dollars to keep him around.

I'm very pleased to see him doing well, giving effort, and contributing heavily. I ain't that pleased. He can stay for rotational-ish salary, as Chaz alluded to in a prior thread. For max money some other sucker can be on the hook for a guy who only shows up when it's a contract year. We paid for enough of those in Shanahan's days as GM, no need to go back there now - not when there are so many guys we'll need to keep this offseason.

~GId rather FT the guy than sign him to a 5 year deal. I want to see another year with similar numbers before we sign him to a large contract... If he leaves via FA are we eligible for compensentory picks?

TXBRONC
10-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Last night On 104.3 the fan, Alfred Williams said he is probably playing himself into a Franchise Tag at the end of the year. Id be happy with that.

I don't know about that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-02-2013, 02:32 PM

I tend to ignore anything he says related to personnel.

LTC Pain
10-02-2013, 02:48 PM
I don't know about that.

Agree with Tex. Here's the franchise tag #s for the various positions in the NFL. No way Ayers gets the franchise tag.

Position Franchise/Transition
Quarterback: 14,896,000/13,068,000
Running back: 8,219,000/6,970,000
Wide receiver: 10,537,000/8,867,000
Tight end: 6,066,000/5,194,000
Offensive lineman: 9,828,000/8,709,000
Defensive tackle: 8,450,000/7,039,000
Defensive end: 11,175,000/9,151,000
Linebacker: 9,619,000/8,358,000
Cornerback: 10,854,000/9,095,000
Safety: 6,916,000/6,002,000
Kicker/punter: 2,977,000/2,700,000

BigDaddyBronco
10-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I tend to ignore anything he says related to personnel.

I tend to ignore anything he says.

CoachChaz
10-02-2013, 04:20 PM

I seriously dont see him getting that much of a raise. Even if it's only for a year

TXBRONC
10-02-2013, 06:20 PM
I happy he's playing well but one good season after three rather not so memorable seasons I don't see how he would get that kind of a pay raise from the Broncos.