PDA

View Full Version : How the NFL MVP award will be decided

sneakers
09-25-2013, 08:16 PM
I know, I know...."sneakers stop making threads" blah blah blah

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1377619_616420471742389_1476636238_n.png

BroncoWave
09-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Sneakers, stop making threads.

SR
09-25-2013, 08:45 PM
So basically Peyton Manning is gonna be the MVP

Dzone
09-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Wow, he is so good that he is already being named MVP in week 4. Nobody else stands a chance

SR
09-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Wow, he is so good that he is already being named MVP in week 3. Nobody else stands a chanceodviously

Dapper Dan
09-26-2013, 12:46 AM
I still think he got ripped off on the 2011 MVP.

Dzone
09-26-2013, 01:16 AM
I still think he got ripped off on the 2011 MVP.
He totally got ripped off..totally 100%...AP goes and campaigns for himself...Manning deserved MVP but they gave him the consolation prize instead..what a joke...
if 2,000 yards is such a big deal, then why isnt TD in the HOF?

Dapper Dan
09-26-2013, 02:27 AM
He totally got ripped off..totally 100%...AP goes and campaigns for himself...Manning deserved MVP but they gave him the consolation prize instead..what a joke...

You're talking about last year, I think. I believe Aaron Rodgers got it in 2011.

CrazyHorse
09-26-2013, 04:13 AM
Didn't you post this before Sneakers?

zbeg
09-26-2013, 08:04 AM

For the same reason why Jamal Lewis isn't in the HOF. Should Chris Johnson also get into the HOF?

HOF is a career award, not a single season award. MVP is a single season award. TD also won MVP over Randall Cunningham when he had his 2k yard season even though the Vikings had a better record and Cunningham's season was pretty ridiculous by 1998 passing standards. That's just how it goes.

Honestly, the real travesty wasn't that AP won the MVP, but that JJ Watt didn't even get a single vote when he probably had the best season of the three.

Dzone
09-26-2013, 09:34 AM
You're talking about last year, I think. I believe Aaron Rodgers got it in 2011.
I thought 2011 was last year lol...damn time flies when youre getting older

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 09:54 AM

TD did win the NFL MVP when he rushed for 2000 yrds.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Honestly, the real travesty wasn't that AP won the MVP, but that JJ Watt didn't even get a single vote when he probably had the best season of the three.

Really? Did JJ Watt set some kind of sack record? Because if not, that is the ONLY way a guy like Watt will win the NFL MVP award. If I was starting a NFL franchise today, and had to pick one player out of everyone to start with, how many picks do you think we go through before a GM would choose JJ Watt to be their first player taken?

zbeg
09-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Really? Did JJ Watt set some kind of sack record? Because if not, that is the ONLY way a guy like Watt will win the NFL MVP award. If I was starting a NFL franchise today, and had to pick one player out of everyone to start with, how many picks do you think we go through before a GM would choose JJ Watt to be their first player taken?

By that logic, then no non-QB should be eligible for MVP ever. Just rename it "the best QB award." MVP doesn't mean "who you would pick first in a franchise draft award." (And that doesn't even make sense - Peyton Manning wouldn't even go in the top twenty. Guess he shouldn't win the MVP!)

Watt had the best defensive season in NFL history. 20.5 sacks from a 3 technique lineman?! 10th in the league in passes defensed. Tenth. FROM A DEFENSIVE LINEMAN. What?? He had more than anyone on the Broncos (Chris Harris and Tony Carter were the team leaders) and defended as many passes as Charles Tillman.

Tackles for loss:
#2 Von Miller 28
#1 J.J. Watt 42

It was the finest defensive season in NFL history and it's not close. If that's not worth the MVP award, then you might as well just rename the MVP award to "best offensive player" because that's what it is.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 10:25 AM
I think there are several RBs, LBs, and DEs that you would pick over the lower half of the QBs.

Point being, UNLESS he sets a very significant defensive record, and if I have a single vote for MVP, he most probably isn't going to get my vote. ESPECIALLY in a season where you have Manning playing like he did, and a RB rushing for over 2000 yrds. If I have a single vote, how could I POSSIBLY justify voting for JJ Watt over the other two obvious NFL MVPs? If the RB doesn't rush for 2000 yrds, then maybe his stock rises in line of candidates.

Also, the opinion that it was the finest defensive season is an opinion, not fact. Even if many others agreed with you, is it more important than a 2000 yrd rusher or a top QB playing at a top level? Not by NFL standards of need/want.

That's all I'm saying. NFL MVP. If I'm voting on the NFL's MOST VALUABLE PLAYER, I have to vote for the guy that has the MOST value for that season.

zbeg
09-26-2013, 10:33 AM
I think there are several RBs, LBs, and DEs that you would pick over the lower half of the QBs.

Point being, UNLESS he sets a very significant defensive record, and if I have a single vote for MVP, he most probably isn't going to get my vote. ESPECIALLY in a season where you have Manning playing like he did, and a RB rushing for over 2000 yrds. If I have a single vote, how could I POSSIBLY justify voting for JJ Watt over the other two obvious NFL MVPs? If the RB doesn't rush for 2000 yrds, then maybe his stock rises in line of candidates.

Also, the opinion that it was the finest defensive season is an opinion, not fact. Even if many others agreed with you, is it more important than a 2000 yrd rusher or a top QB playing at a top level? Not by NFL standards of need/want.

That's all I'm saying. NFL MVP. If I'm voting on the NFL's MOST VALUABLE PLAYER, I have to vote for the guy that has the MOST value for that season.

Obviously saying he had the best defensive season is an opinion, not a fact. Just like your opinion that Manning was more valuable is an opinion, not a fact. Now that we've established that we have opinions and that we aren't just quoting statistics at each other...

Watt was 2 sacks short of the single season record, that's true. But are 2 sacks so significant that they outweigh the off-the-charts pass defense numbers and the tackles for loss? Is there any defensive coordinator on the planet who would take Michael Strahan's season over Watt's?

UnderArmour
09-26-2013, 10:33 AM

AP had one of the all-time great seasons by a running back and ran an inferior team into the playoffs almost entirely on his own shoulders. If Manning had gotten MVP with those numbers, the award would have just continued to be a joke. Basically what you're saying is that the team with the best record and a franchise quarterback should by default get MVP, regardless of what NFL milestones were broken by other players. Manning did not have a year that redefined his position or even stood out amongst quarterback performances in the last decade. Manning had a great year and had Adrian Peterson not ran his team into the playoffs, Manning would have gotten the award. But I find it laughable that when Manning didn't even break 5000 yards or set any significant position milestones that somehow he deserves the award over a player who did have one of the all-time great years at his position.

Adrian Peterson rightfully won MVP over Manning. The only joke here is that people keep acting like Manning was robbed. Manning did deserve MVP, but definitely not over Adrian Peterson. That's why he was the runner-up.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Obviously saying he had the best defensive season is an opinion, not a fact. Just like your opinion that Manning was more valuable is an opinion, not a fact. Now that we've established that we have opinions and that we aren't just quoting statistics at each other...

Watt was 2 sacks short of the single season record, that's true. But are 2 sacks so significant that they outweigh the off-the-charts pass defense numbers and the tackles for loss? Is there any defensive coordinator on the planet who would take Michael Strahan's season over Watt's?

Apparantly there are enough people that realize that Watt's season wasn't so unbelievable and so remarkable that it outshined Peterson and Manning. He didn't get a single vote.

He had a GREAT year...truly, a GREAT season. But a great season for a DT doesn't warrant a NFL MVP award.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 12:57 PM
AP had one of the all-time great seasons by a running back and ran an inferior team into the playoffs almost entirely on his own shoulders. If Manning had gotten MVP with those numbers, the award would have just continued to be a joke. Basically what you're saying is that the team with the best record and a franchise quarterback should by default get MVP, regardless of what NFL milestones were broken by other players. Manning did not have a year that redefined his position or even stood out amongst quarterback performances in the last decade. Manning had a great year and had Adrian Peterson not ran his team into the playoffs, Manning would have gotten the award. But I find it laughable that when Manning didn't even break 5000 yards or set any significant position milestones that somehow he deserves the award over a player who did have one of the all-time great years at his position.

Adrian Peterson rightfully won MVP over Manning. The only joke here is that people keep acting like Manning was robbed. Manning did deserve MVP, but definitely not over Adrian Peterson. That's why he was the runner-up.

Wait... Peterson didn't redefine his position. I think you are using two sets of standards.

I DO agree. Peterson deserved the award, as did Manning. I think had Manning won, it would have been the right choice, as well. Had Manning won, fans would have complained that Peterson got robbed, and they would have had an argument. Just as the fans that feel Manning was robbed have a valid argument. I don't think it was a "hands down obvious" pick to think that Peterson was the most deserving.

DenBronx
09-26-2013, 01:03 PM
So the only way Manning doesn't get the award is if he doesn't get a first round bye?

Dapper Dan
09-26-2013, 04:25 PM
I thought 2011 was last year lol...damn time flies when youre getting older

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNHsk57f24

broncohead
09-26-2013, 06:01 PM
talking about stats it should have went to Watt or Calvin Johnson.

zbeg
09-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Apparantly there are enough people that realize that Watt's season wasn't so unbelievable and so remarkable that it outshined Peterson and Manning. He didn't get a single vote.

He had a GREAT year...truly, a GREAT season. But a great season for a DT doesn't warrant a NFL MVP award.

Right, I think it shows that the voters aren't going to vote a defensive player for MVP ever now, no matter how good the season. It's not "Most Valuable Player," it's the "Best Quarterback Unless A Running Back Has A 2000 Yard Year Or Recordbreaking Year In Which Case We'll Consider It But Not Always Even Then Award."

I just happen to think that's a travesty.