PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Kayvon Webster a Quality Find

LTC Pain
09-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Story on K. Webster from Jeff Legwold, ESPN. I like that he plays close and is aggressive :)

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/62427/broncos-kayvon-webster-a-quality-find

Denver Native (Carol)
09-25-2013, 02:20 PM
beginning of article:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When the Denver Broncos snatched up cornerback Kayvon Webster with the 90th pick in this past April’s draft, some of their brethren in the personnel game around the league thought, sure, it was a good pick, but perhaps a bit of a reach in the third round.

Yet, three games into Webster’s rookie season, his play may have already authored a rather tidy response.

Whatever.

“That guy, I've been saying he’s going to be a player. I just think Kayvon’s going to have a long career in this league," Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard said. “He’s going to be one of those guys who is a dominant corner in the future, take my word on that."

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/955/denver-broncos-kayvon-webster-a-quality-find

Magnificent Seven
09-25-2013, 02:22 PM
He will be our future star. I like his style on the field. Hard-hitter!

gregbroncs
09-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Just needs to learn that in the NFL you must wrap up after a hit. I liked his aggressiveness but it was a horrible mistake on one play to just hit a guy then not grab him at all. Looks like a good pick to me though.

Ziggy
09-25-2013, 02:36 PM
The Broncos are going to have some decisions to make at corner after the season is over. DRC should be priority number 1. He will be an UFA. Chris Harris and Tony Carter will be RFA's, and Champ is signed for one more year at 9 million.

BroncoWave
09-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Just needs to learn that in the NFL you must wrap up after a hit. I liked his aggressiveness but it was a horrible mistake on one play to just hit a guy then not grab him at all. Looks like a good pick to me though.

Yeah, I noticed this too. He needs to learn to wrap up or at least go low instead of trying to make the big hit. Marcel Reece made a big gain against him because he tried for a knockout hit and Reece just bounced off of him.

G_Money
09-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Chris Harris Jr. ain't goin' nowhere. Tony Carter is probably gonna be gone, if Bolden can play at all. Webster can obviously play.

We look pretty great in the defensive backfield with Champ and DRC - and we're obviously not lost without Champ either, which is really impressive.

~G

CoachChaz
09-25-2013, 03:50 PM
I havea feeling DRC disappears. Most likely the top DB in free agency next year. Going to be hard to outbid for him

AZBronco
09-25-2013, 03:53 PM
I definitely like the way our DB's are rounding out. My football knowledge is a work in progress, and i feel dirty saying this, but at what point is 9 million/year better spent elsewhere? I love Champ on the field, and he's a quality person representing the Broncos, however, as his age catches up with him are we gonna miss out on a future with one of our young stud DB's? We need to lock up several people in the next couple years and some of them are young and going to require some coin to hold onto.
...Flame away..

CoachChaz
09-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Decker, DRC, Beadles, Woodyard. Those are out most "needed" UFA's this year. Maybe Ayers if he continues his play and ends up being a solid option at RDE. We'll have to restructure a few things if we want to re-sign them/extend anyone else

DenBronx
09-25-2013, 04:40 PM
This is great because if one of our other CBs dont take a lower contract we could always just play Kavon instead as a starter.

Makes me think we should only give Bailey 1 year deals after his contract expires. He is getting a little old now and these young DBs are bringing a spark to the defense. DRC is also going to want a new deal, Harris Jr will be up for a new deal in a couple years. So there are alot of mouths to feed but I dont think we will have the budget to pay them all.

DenBronx
09-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Tony Carter just might end up being the odd man out. He is also really short for a CB.

Harris is a lock to stay here and DRC might want way too much. This offseason is going to be an interesting one. Hopefully these guys understand its probably a chance of a lifetime to play on a team with Manning and possibly get something worth more than just money, like a Lombardi.

CoachChaz
09-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Tony Carter just might end up being the odd man out. He is also really short for a CB.

Harris is a lock to stay here and DRC might want way too much. This offseason is going to be an interesting one. Hopefully these guys understand its probably a chance of a lifetime to play on a team with Manning and possibly get something worth more than just money, like a Lombardi.

Harris is an RFA anyway

DenBronx
09-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Harris is an RFA anyway

He is going to get resigned when the time is right.

Bailey, DRC, Kavon and everyone else in the DB core will all be secondary.

Tned
09-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Decker, DRC, Beadles, Woodyard. Those are out most "needed" UFA's this year. Maybe Ayers if he continues his play and ends up being a solid option at RDE. We'll have to restructure a few things if we want to re-sign them/extend anyone else

Really need to re-sign woodyard, was hoping he was restricted, but wasn't sure

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

atwater27
09-25-2013, 08:00 PM
I couldn't believe it when the rookie came in there and just started knocking people around and defending passes like he owned the field. What an awesome find!

Denver Native (Carol)
09-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Maybe the ever-expanding subculture of draftnik geeks do have lives.

They all whiffed on Kayvon Webster. Small school. Losing football program. No picks.

If the stereotype were true, and all those bloggers, fast talkers and big-haired draft overanalyzers really did spend all day in dark rooms watching film, they would not have overlooked that Webster represents the new breed of bigger, stronger cornerback.

The Broncos didn't miss him.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24177984/new-secondary-hit-parade

jhns
09-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Haha, I think there is a bit of an over reaction to a single good game here. He played well but still has a lot to prove. There is a reason he is still 5th on the depth chart when all corners are healthy. Many guys play well until other teams have enough film to figure out tendencies that can be taken advantage of. He also wasn't playing against a good/established QB and reciever.

That all said, this front office has been great at bringing in talent. It comes from the draft and FAs. I have been extremely impressed with how deep this team is. It seems like everyone who plays does well. Great talent evaluationand and even better coaching. Webster looks like he may be another solid pickup.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Haha, I think there is a bit of an over reaction to a single good game here. He played well but still has a lot to prove. There is a reason he is still 5th on the depth chart when all corners are healthy. Many guys play well until other teams have enough film to figure out tendencies that can be taken advantage of. He also wasn't playing against a good/established QB and reciever.

That all said, this front office has been great at bringing in talent. It comes from the draft and FAs. I have been extremely impressed with how deep this team is. It seems like everyone who plays does well. Great talent evaluationand and even better coaching. Webster looks like he may be another solid pickup.

I get what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure he's fourth on the depth chart. He's ahead of the kid from Arizona State.

jhns
09-26-2013, 04:53 PM
I get what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure he's fourth on the depth chart. He's ahead of the kid from Arizona State.

4th now, 5th with Champ.

Champ, DRC, Harris, Carter, then Webster.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-26-2013, 04:57 PM

Technically, they moved Bolden to safety. That was the only way he made the roster.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Technically, they moved Bolden to safety. That was the only way he made the roster.

Yeah, Webster looks like a playmaker. I don't see how they would have Bolden on the field before him.

AZBronco
09-26-2013, 10:50 PM
I agree that he has a lot to prove, but his current depth chart position has to be evaluated with the people above him. Champ is a first round HOF'er. DRC was a former first round draft pick who played very well until Philly. Harris Jr. is just a stud who plays ball out. I'm not claiming KW is gonna be the next Champ Bailey, I'm just saying his fifth seat on our the depth chart shouldn't be an indication to his skill set.
I agree with you about the FO and their current structure of the team. They are building this team from within, and I love where we are and our current position moving forward.

Jsteve01
09-26-2013, 11:11 PM
look he's a rook and we all know how Fox and Del Rio feel about rookies it will be a lot easier to evaluate him next year because barring injury he just won't see the field much.