PDA

View Full Version : Broncos, on short week, ready to hurry up against Philadelphia Eagles

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2013, 03:24 PM
John Fox was in a hurry. As in a Peyton Manning-like, "Hurry! Hurry!"

The Broncos next play the well-rested and presumably well-prepared Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. The Broncos will mark the occasion by formally inducting former center Tom Nalen into the team's Ring of Fame.

Although the Eagles played poorly in losing a home game to the Kansas City Chiefs last Thursday, they have had since last Thursday to get ready for the Broncos.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24165567/broncos-short-week-ready-hurry-up-against-philadelphia

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2013, 03:28 PM
I posted the following in the game thread, but will put it here also.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h

John Fox says "nothing serious" with #Broncos injuries from Monday night.

Northman
09-24-2013, 03:28 PM
I want to smash the Eagles too.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2013, 03:29 PM

If you're into this sort of thing, #Broncos open as a 10.5 point favorite over #Eagles in week 4. Over-under set at whopping 58 points.

slim
09-24-2013, 03:32 PM
I want to smash the Eagles too.

It is a good match up for us.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2013, 04:12 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Less than 24 hours ago, the Broncos moved to 3-0 with a 37-21 win against the Oakland Raiders.

But Head Coach John Fox and his staff haven't had time to look back.

“We’re on to Philly," he said Tuesday afternoon. "They’ve had 10 days (to prepare), we’re on six. All our focus is on Philadelphia.”

Even without looking at the tape, however, Fox knows he's happy with what he's seen from his team.

“Well, 3-0. It’s hard to be better than that in three games," he said.

Below is a rundown of what Fox addressed in his Tuesday afternoon press conference.

rest - plus video - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Fox-Broncos-Onto-Week-4/44ce0364-13fb-4c9d-bb9c-4ec834483eeb

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-24-2013, 04:17 PM
I feel bad for Vick, but I don't think this game is going to be pretty for the Eagles.

CoachChaz
09-24-2013, 04:31 PM
If we contain McCoy like we have everyone else, we force Vick to throw. That's a good thing for us

OrangeHoof
09-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Two weeks in a row we get to see a "college" offense with a "running" quarterback. And Chip Kelly will want to surprise us with a hurry-up offense.

But the Broncos already see this hurry-up in practice against The Master all the time so I don't think it will be a major problem.

What will be a major problem is the Iggles trying to stay up with the Broncos' hurry up at altitude. Their D will be seriously gassed by the 4th qtr when we probably switch to pounding them with the running game.

slim
09-24-2013, 04:32 PM
If we contain McCoy like we have everyone else, we force Vick to throw. That's a good thing for us

Yes and Philly has struggled defending the pass.

I like the way this looks...on paper.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-24-2013, 04:34 PM

If you're into this sort of thing, #Broncos open as a 10.5 point favorite over #Eagles in week 4. Over-under set at whopping 58 points.

I would take the over...

OrangeHoof
09-24-2013, 04:36 PM
The Eagles also could not stop the underneath across-the-middle stuff from KC and we can run similar stuff with Hillman, Welker or J. Thomas. Demeco Ryans is a great run stuffer but he's below average covering receivers.

BroncoWave
09-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Both Manning and Fox brought it up, but it is kinda BS that we have to play them on a short week when they had a Thursday game last week. I feel like teams coming off a MNF game shouldn't have to play a team coming off a bye or a Thursday game.

Canmore
09-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Both Manning and Fox brought it up, but it is kinda BS that we have to play them on a short week when they had a Thursday game last week. I feel like teams coming off a MNF game shouldn't have to play a team coming off a bye or a Thursday game.

We will be fine.

underrated29
09-24-2013, 04:59 PM
I dont like the feel of this game or the cowboys game....I think we will win this one but I bet both teams score in or above the 30s

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly spoke to the media on Tuesday, the day after the Eagles upcoming opponent, the Denver Broncos, beat the Raiders on Monday Night Football. Here's a full transcript:

Q. Did you watch the Broncos?

COACH KELLY: Last night and this morning.

Q. What did you think?

COACH KELLY: Outstanding performance. Offensively very difficult when you see your quarterback playing at that level right now. He's got a lot of weapons. You got [Wes] Welker, [Demaryius] Thomas, [Eric] Decker, wherever you want to put them in. Three really good running backs.

It's a tough challenge for us this week.

rest - http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Full_Transcript_Eagles_coach_Chip_Kelly_talks_pers onnel_game_plan_vs_Broncos.html

HORSEPOWER 56
09-24-2013, 05:10 PM
This is actually one of the games I do worry about. Philly has retarded speed on offense and a pretty good pass rush (although their secondary isn't very good). They are a big play threat and our pass rush is less than spectacular. If we give Vick time, they can burn us deep.

I think this is going to be a big test for us. I don't think it will be easy and I don't think they'll just give the game away like they did to KC.

wayninja
09-24-2013, 05:50 PM
It will be good to have Bailey back.

GEM
09-24-2013, 05:59 PM

Adversity creates greatness....and we're damn great. :)

Nomad
09-24-2013, 06:02 PM
This is actually one of the games I do worry about. Philly has retarded speed on offense and a pretty good pass rush (although their secondary isn't very good). They are a big play threat and our pass rush is less than spectacular. If we give Vick time, they can burn us deep.

I think this is going to be a big test for us. I don't think it will be easy and I don't think they'll just give the game away like they did to KC.

Doesn't Vick usually do damn good against the BRONCOS? Or was it just that one Halloween night?

LTC Pain
09-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Hurry, hurry, hurry..............................

Ziggy
09-24-2013, 08:55 PM
How confident were the Broncos going into the Raiders game? John Fox said on the KOA post game show that they did some prep for the Eagles over the long week. The Broncos will hang 50 on Philly and that pathetic defense. The Eagles gimmick offense will run their defense into the ground with the quick 3 and outs at altitude and Manning attacking non stop. This one is going to be ugly.

wayninja
09-24-2013, 10:03 PM
How confident were the Broncos going into the Raiders game? John Fox said on the KOA post game show that they did some prep for the Eagles over the long week. The Broncos will hang 50 on Philly and that pathetic defense. The Eagles gimmick offense will run their defense into the ground with the quick 3 and outs at altitude and Manning attacking non stop. This one is going to be ugly.

Chip Kelly is going to set a new standard for the pace of 3 and outs.

TXBRONC
09-24-2013, 10:18 PM
The Eagles do not have as much talent as the Broncos but still they have some playermakers so Denver can't afford to be sloppy.

CrazyHorse
09-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I dont like the feel of this game or the cowboys game....I think we will win this one but I bet both teams score in or above the 30s

That won't be a problem if we score 40+. I really hate playing prevent defense and going conservative on offense with a lead though.

701Bronco
09-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Philly fans are looking really confident...

Northman
09-25-2013, 07:10 AM

Yea, i really dont get the nervousness about this game. Vick has always been overrated as a QB. Their defense is very very very bad. McCoy is really the only threat and if Denver neutralizes him like they did McFadden they force them to become one dimensional which works in our favor. The only way Denver ****s this up is they get sloppy with the football and turn it over and get lazy. I was far more nervous going in against the Ravens and Giants than i was about this game.

TXBRONC
09-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Yea, i really dont get the nervousness about this game. Vick has always been overrated as a QB. Their defense is very very very bad. McCoy is really the only threat and if Denver neutralizes him like they did McFadden they force them to become one dimensional which works in our favor. The only way Denver ****s this up is they get sloppy with the football and turn it over and get lazy. I was far more nervous going in against the Ravens and Giants than i was about this game.

DeSean Jackson and Celek are no slouches either.

Rick
09-25-2013, 08:36 AM
We can probably use a similar defensive game plan from the Raiders game. Shut down Mccoy, contain Vick. Can't let the receivers get wide open in this game though.

BroncoWave
09-25-2013, 08:38 AM
I think I'm the most nervous of this game of the four. Our defense is really banged up and Philly has a lot of offensive weapons. If we keep turning the ball over, this will not be an easy game. I kinda have the same feeling about this game that I did heading into the Baltimore playoff game. Pretty much everyone on this board was assuming a win and I just had a bad feeling about it.

TXBRONC
09-25-2013, 09:06 AM
We can probably use a similar defensive game plan from the Raiders game. Shut down Mccoy, contain Vick. Can't let the receivers get wide open in this game though.

Vick is a little better passer than Pryor.

CoachChaz
09-25-2013, 09:49 AM
DeSean Jackson and Celek are no slouches either.

Celek is almost irrelevant in this offense. 4 catches in 3 games? Neutralize McCoy and force Jackson to beat DRC with safety help.

Rick
09-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Vick is a little better passer than Pryor.

Most definitely but the Eagles strength, like the Raiders, lies in the running game with a great RB and mobile QB.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Chip Kelly spoke to the Denver media via conference call bright and early Wednesday morning, four days in advance of his Eagles' matchup with the Broncos on Sunday in the Mile High City.

Philadelphia will be coming off of a 10-day break after they last played in a Thursday-night loss to Kansas City, but Kelly said he and his staff haven't used the extra time to make any roster or lineup changes after two straight losses. Quarterback Michael Vick played worse against the Chiefs than he did in the team's first two games, Kelly said, but he didn't cite it as a reason to make any major tweaks.

When asked about his much talked-about hurry-up offense, Kelly was quick to simplify what he's doing and compare it to Denver's attack. His Eagles have the second-most total yards in the NFL, 1,385 through three games, behind only the Broncos.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24172009/chip-kelly-aims-keep-gameplan-when-eagles-face

Dzone
09-25-2013, 10:04 AM
.The pot roast is going to wreak havoc...Nick Foles will be trying to lead the eagles on a frantic comeback

Broncolingus
09-25-2013, 12:01 PM
I can't wait to see our run defense against a solid rushing team and great RB...

TXBRONC
09-25-2013, 12:43 PM
I think this game could end up being close.

Northman
09-25-2013, 01:13 PM
I actually think we roll. I see the Eagles turning it over at least 3 times against us.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-25-2013, 02:11 PM
It was windy, sunny and loose at Dove Valley on Wednesday as the Broncos held their first practice in preparation for their game Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Not practicing for the Broncos were cornerback Tony Carter (ankle), safety Duke Ihenacho (ankle) and linebacker Paris Lenon (thigh).

The intrigue in this game is the fast tempo in which both offenses play. Eagles coach Chip Kelly had great success with the Oregon Ducks. But since stunning Mike Shanahan's Washington Redskins in the opener, the Eagles' offense has executed poorly.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24173331/tony-carter-duke-ihenacho-out-broncos-begin-brace

Denver Native (Carol)
09-25-2013, 02:16 PM
DENVER — The Denver Broncos might have the NFL's best answer for how to slow the Philadelphia Eagles' fancy, new high-paced offense. His name is Peyton Manning.

You want your offense to play fast, Chip Kelly?

Manning and his teammates might be able to play even faster. When the Broncos beat the Oakland Raiders on Monday night in Denver, Manning was moving the Broncos so quickly at times in the first half that ESPN, with its 30-second delay, was nearly a full play behind.

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/09/24/broncos-eagles-offenses/2865859/

TXBRONC
09-25-2013, 08:47 PM
I actually think we roll. I see the Eagles turning it over at least 3 times against us.

I hope you're right North.

wayninja
09-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Celek is almost irrelevant in this offense. 4 catches in 3 games? Neutralize McCoy and force Jackson to beat DRC with safety help.

Isn't Bailey back?

Dzone
09-26-2013, 12:03 AM
I dont know, is Bailey going to play sunday? How bad do we need him?
.I have a feeling Vick is going to get more pressure than ever and we will see Foles in the game

Traveler
09-26-2013, 05:29 AM
DRC gets his revenge pick 6 this week!

BroncoWave
09-26-2013, 07:15 AM
I dont know, is Bailey going to play sunday? How bad do we need him?
.I have a feeling Vick is going to get more pressure than ever and we will see Foles in the game

If Nacho and Carter can't go, I would say we really need Champ.

jhns
09-26-2013, 09:58 AM

I don't think we will even need turnovers to beat them by a lot. We also won't need a great defensive performance. Their offense doesn't eat clock and has almost no chance of keeping up with a Bronco offense that will see a lot of possessions. This team is scoring on a very high percentage of drives and Kelly doesn't seem interested in slowing the game down and limiting possessions.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 10:11 AM
They didn't have a faster paced offense against the Chiefs. I was pretty disappointed. But then, they played like shit against the Chiefs.

TXBRONC
09-26-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't think we will even need turnovers to beat them by a lot. We also won't need a great defensive performance. Their offense doesn't eat clock and has almost no chance of keeping up with a Bronco offense that will see a lot of possessions. This team is scoring on a very high percentage of drives and Kelly doesn't seem interested in slowing the game down and limiting possessions.

I think Kelly's biggest mistake is thinking can run his offense exactly the same way he did at Oregon.

Northman
09-26-2013, 11:18 AM
I think Kelly's biggest mistake is thinking can run his offense exactly the same way he did at Oregon.

A lot of college coaches think they can do that. Remember when Spurrier signed all his former Gators? lmao

BroncoWave
09-26-2013, 11:44 AM
I think Chip is smarter than that. From everything I have heard about him, he is a big time student of the game and he knows how to run offenses other than what he ran at Oregon. I don't think you'll see him flame out of the league because of a stubbornness to stick to his college system. Honestly, I think his system would work much better on this Eagles team if Vick didn't turn it over so much. If he had, say Russell Wilson as his QB, I think his offense would be amazing.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 12:12 PM
I think Chip is smarter than that. From everything I have heard about him, he is a big time student of the game and he knows how to run offenses other than what he ran at Oregon. I don't think you'll see him flame out of the league because of a stubbornness to stick to his college system. Honestly, I think his system would work much better on this Eagles team if Vick didn't turn it over so much. If he had, say Russell Wilson as his QB, I think his offense would be amazing.

I don't think it would be amazing. I don't think they do anything that other offenses in the NFL don't do, and we saw what their offense looks like when they slow it down (which is what they seemed to have done against the Chiefs).

I also know the Chip is/was a sought after coach BECAUSE of the offense/system he ran in Oregon. He may "know" other offenses, but the reality is that he is hitched to that wagon. If he can't make that work, which is why he was brought to the Eagles to begin with, he may be out pretty fast.

BroncoWave
09-26-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't think it would be amazing. I don't think they do anything that other offenses in the NFL don't do, and we saw what their offense looks like when they slow it down (which is what they seemed to have done against the Chiefs).

I also know the Chip is/was a sought after coach BECAUSE of the offense/system he ran in Oregon. He may "know" other offenses, but the reality is that he is hitched to that wagon. If he can't make that work, which is why he was brought to the Eagles to begin with, he may be out pretty fast.

And how do you know this? From the outside that seems like the obvious reason, but maybe he is so sought after because of his vast football knowledge that lets him use a variety of schemes.

MOtorboat
09-26-2013, 12:45 PM
And how do you know this? From the outside that seems like the obvious reason, but maybe he is so sought after because of his vast football knowledge that lets him use a variety of schemes.

How many coaches do you know of that change core philosophies and systems on the fly?

Name me one. (And I'm not talking about a defensive-minded head coach changing offensive coordinators, like Rex Ryan in NY, or vice versa Mike Shanahan in Denver)

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Come on BTB, lets not play this game. This "you weren't in the room" thing you got going can really get old.

College coaches are SOUGHT after because of their college success. He was specifically targeted by the Eagles, and they didn't target him because of his "vast football knowledge" over THOUSANDS of other candidates that have "vast football knowledge." They were interested in him and what he was doing with the Oregon offense, specifically the fast paced offense that made him well known. That's not exactly taking liberties nor is it guessing..... nor is it not well known.

Why do you think that OCs in the NFL are hired to be HCs? You think its because of their "vast football knowledge" that is greater than the other coaches in the NFL that are applying, or are they hired because of the offense they implemented in their previous job? This is no different.

BroncoWave
09-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Come on BTB, lets not play this game. This "you weren't in the room" thing you got going can really get old.

So can claiming that you KNOW something that you don't actually know. Since you are convinced you know this though, this seems like a good point to end this discussion. We've had this debate enough times to know where this goes. :lol:

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 01:01 PM
So can claiming that you KNOW something that you don't actually know. Since you are convinced you know this though, this seems like a good point to end this discussion. We've had this debate enough times to know where this goes. :lol:

Yes, I'm convinced and feel 100% positive I'm right since that has been the case since day 1. Keep using that "we don't know, we weren't in the room" stuff, though. Its working for you.

BroncoWave
09-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks, I will. :)

Northman
09-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Yea, we can play the guessing game as too why Chip Kelly was sought out but i think its quite obvious because of his success at Oregon. If it was really just because he is a great mind any NFL team would of hired him long before he worked in Oregon.

BroncoWave
09-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Yea, we can play the guessing game as too why Chip Kelly was sought out but i think its quite obvious because of his success at Oregon. If it was really just because he is a great mind any NFL team would of hired him long before he worked in Oregon.

Well obviously it had to do with his success at Oregon. But I think NFL teams have wised up to the fact that gimmick offensive coaches usually fail in the NFL. Obviously there is something more to him than just his scheme at Oregon.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Well obviously it had to do with his success at Oregon. But I think NFL teams have wised up to the fact that gimmick offensive coaches usually fail in the NFL. Obviously there is something more to him than just his scheme at Oregon.

For one, its not a gimmick offense. For two, NFL hasn't wised up (as you say), since you still see the "option read" being tried in the NFL and we just tried the Wildcat just a couple years ago. I don't know where you to the idea that the NFL is NOT trying college offense more NOW than every before, but you might want to re-think that belief.

OBVIOUSLY the reason he was sought after by Philly was because of his offensive system that he used in Oregon. The same system that influence the NE Patriots last season, and has now influenced the Denver Broncos on theirs this year. So not only are the Philly Eagles buying into that "gimmick" offense, but so are many of the teams with top QBs that can run the offense from the LoS.

BroncoWave
09-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Since the offense was so easily copied by the Pats and Broncos, what added value is there in hiring Kelly as your coach?

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Since the offense was so easily copied by the Pats and Broncos, what added value is there in hiring Kelly as your coach?

Wow.. .I mean.... just wow.

BroncoWave
09-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Wow.. .I mean.... just wow.

Exactly, his offensive expertise. If the only trick he had was his Oregon offense, there would have been no reason to hire him.

TXBRONC
09-26-2013, 01:53 PM
What different scheme is he actually running? He's running spread option just like he did at Oregon. The difference is he's doesn't have 85 players he can dress per game and his team doesn't consist of kids that range from the age of about 18 to 23.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Exactly, his offensive expertise. If the only trick he had was his Oregon offense, there would have been no reason to hire him.

This is probably the dumbest thing you've posted.

For one, I dind't say that NE and the Broncos "copied" his offense. I said they are influenced by it.

2) Just like hiring ANY OC in the NFL to be a HC, they hire that person because of their OFFENSIVE system. Not because of their "superior" knowledge of the game. EVERY candidate has superior football knowledge. They hire that coach because of their superior KNOWLEDGE of that particular offensive system. Ta-da!!

You just contradicted yourself in one sentence trying SOOO hard to prove someone else wrong.

They hired him because of his offensive system. OF COURSE he has high football knowledge to be a top NCAA coach. That goes without saying. Of course he knows HOW to coach, that goes without sayign considering he's a NCAA HC. But so are thousands of other candidates. The Philly Eagles TARGETED him because of his offensive system. Just like ANY OC they would/could hire from another NFL team.

Its not really as hard as you are trying SOO hard to make it. You are just being a bite in the ass purely for the sake of being a bite in the ass. It's typical of you, and I fell into that same crappy trap once again.

BroncoWave
09-26-2013, 02:18 PM

The next time we have a discussion without you using this phrase or something like it will be the first. Have a nice day!

TXBRONC
09-26-2013, 02:26 PM

For one, I dind't say that NE and the Broncos "copied" his offense. I said they are influenced by it.

2) Just like hiring ANY OC in the NFL to be a HC, they hire that person because of their OFFENSIVE system. Not because of their "superior" knowledge of the game. EVERY candidate has superior football knowledge. They hire that coach because of their superior KNOWLEDGE of that particular offensive system. Ta-da!!

You just contradicted yourself in one sentence trying SOOO hard to prove someone else wrong.

They hired him because of his offensive system. OF COURSE he has high football knowledge to be a top NCAA coach. That goes without saying. Of course he knows HOW to coach, that goes without sayign considering he's a NCAA HC. But so are thousands of other candidates. The Philly Eagles TARGETED him because of his offensive system. Just like ANY OC they would/could hire from another NFL team.

Its not really as hard as you are trying SOO hard to make it. You are just being a bite in the ass purely for the sake of being a bite in the ass. It's typical of you, and I fell into that same crappy trap once again.

I'm sure Kelly knows a lot about offense but as MO pointed out his core philosophy is a spread option that is ran a hyper tempo.

MOtorboat
09-26-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm sure Kelly knows a lot about offense but as MO pointed out his core philosophy is a spread option that is ran a hyper tempo.

From what I can see it looks like Coryell route concepts mixed in with spread formations.

I still think there's nothing new about it.

Northman
09-26-2013, 02:54 PM

Em, well too early to tell on that. Its been what? 3 games? It was kind of funny how after the win vs Wash the media was pronouncing him the next coming of christ of coaches. Then all of a sudden they start losing and you dont hear a peep from the media anymore about him. We wont know one way or the other if he has failed or succeeded until after the season is over. Not that he needs to win a SB this year but considering he inherited a team with some pretty good talent i would think that the expectations are supposed to be more than what Reid did the last couple of years. If he fails to have a winning season i think the idea that he is just a "gimmick" guy might have some weight to it.

Northman
09-29-2013, 06:32 PM

Bump.

Didnt get 3 turnovers but....

BroncoWave
09-29-2013, 06:34 PM
If we didn't have such a historic offense we could have been in trouble in this one. Philly was moving it with ease until the score started to get out of hand. It was great to see the D put the clamps down in the second half though.

MOtorboat
09-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Interesting, BTB was the one saying it was a gimmick.

BroncoWave
09-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Interesting, BTB was the one saying it was a gimmick.

Trollin, trollin, trollin.

MOtorboat
09-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Trollin, trollin, trollin.

Hey...you made a bunch of snide comments in the game thread and it turns out you were wrong.

BroncoWave
09-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Hey...you made a bunch of snide comments in the game thread and it turns out you were wrong.

I'm glad after a big win, the most important thing you had to do was come in here and tell me I was wrong! :lol: