PDA

View Full Version : THE MMQB: Manning doesn't need a stalwart left tackle

rationalfan
09-23-2013, 03:28 PM
In Indianapolis, Manning often played behind average linemen. His left tackle in Super Bowl XLIV was utility backup Charlie Johnson (now a guard in Minnesota). Sure, having an All-Pro tackle like Ryan Clady on the blind side adds value to an offense, which is why the Broncos paid him $33 million guaranteed in July. But that value represents a luxury for Manning, not a necessity—a luxury that Denver lost last week when Clady went down with a season-ending foot injury.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/23/6094/

Simple Jaded
09-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Clearly that depends on how good/bad Clady's replacement is.

slim
09-23-2013, 03:48 PM
I get the point he is trying to make, but losing your best OL is going to hurt. Period.

TXBRONC
09-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Clearly that depends on how good/bad Clady's replacement is.

Well Tony Ugoh was as bad you can get for left tackle and Manning was still able to make it work.

That said, I would rather have Clady in there.

Joel
09-23-2013, 04:34 PM
In Indy, Manning usually played behind a very good line in Tarik Glenn, Jake Scott, Jeff Saturday, Dylan Gandy and Ryan Diem. One of them's a guaranteed HoFer, another made his third straight Pro Bowl when Indy won the SB & Diem was a fine blocker in his own right. The guards weren't as good as the center and tackles, but only relatively speaking: They were still good; the edge blockers were just outstanding. They gave up 15 sacks in 16 games that year (one of them of Joseph Addai.) That's not just the QB; they kept his pants clean every week.

Manning didn't Elway the Colts to two SBs. Really. Their defense was garbage, but their offenses were VERY good, good enough those wretched defenses never mattered till the postseason, and once not even then.

We'll miss Clady, and not just because he's also a pretty good run blocker. Manning will miss him more.

zbeg
09-23-2013, 06:08 PM
I get the point he is trying to make, but losing your best OL is going to hurt. Period.

Obviously that's true, but for a lot of teams it's catastrophic. If Manning's your QB, you have one of the two or three guys who can mitigate that loss because how quickly they get rid of the ball (Brees being the other one who comes to mind). A lot of teams can't be elite with a turnstile at LT, but Manning is one of the very few guys who can. It's not as easy of course, but it doesn't doom Denver's SB hopes the way it would for virtually any other non-Brees quarterback in the league.

Simple Jaded
09-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Clark got beat once tonight as far as I could tell.

MOtorboat
09-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Yes he does.

wayninja
09-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Overall Clark was an effective replacement, but far from perfect. Peyton did take a scary/nasty shot.

tomjonesrocks
09-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Overall Clark was an effective replacement, but far from perfect. Peyton did take a scary/nasty shot.

I didn't see it as a nasty shot, at least if you're referring to the Houston strip. I saw a clean low-impact tackle, to Houston's credit.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-24-2013, 12:30 AM
I didn't see it as a nasty shot, at least if you're referring to the Houston strip. I saw a clean low-impact tackle, to Houston's credit.

I saw a move that Clady never gets beat by.

Mr Bojangles
09-24-2013, 09:59 AM
In Indianapolis, Manning often played behind average linemen. His left tackle in Super Bowl XLIV was utility backup Charlie Johnson (now a guard in Minnesota). Sure, having an All-Pro tackle like Ryan Clady on the blind side adds value to an offense, which is why the Broncos paid him $33 million guaranteed in July. But that value represents a luxury for Manning, not a necessity—a luxury that Denver lost last week when Clady went down with a season-ending foot injury.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/23/6094/

I hope you wrote this prior to last night's game.

Clearly, when his protection let's down, Manning is like everyone else....no, actually, worse, because he tends to cough the ball up when he gets hit hard...as evidenced in last night's game.

I think he was only touched or hurried twice, maybe three times, and gave up the ball. Left alone, he's murder for defenses, but the blueprint to beat him is clearly established, and losing his all-pro left tackle could come back to bite the Broncos.

Ravage!!!
09-24-2013, 10:01 AM
I hope you wrote this prior to last night's game.

Clearly, when his protection let's down, Manning is like everyone else....no, actually, worse, because he tends to cough the ball up when he gets hit hard...as evidenced in last night's game.

I think he was only touched or hurried twice, maybe three times, and gave up the ball. Left alone, he's murder for defenses, but the blueprint to beat him is clearly established, and losing his all-pro left tackle could come back to bite the Broncos.

I'm sorry, I'm confused...:confused: Is this paragraph written about Brady??? This is a thread about Manning.

Mr Bojangles
09-24-2013, 10:03 AM
In Indy, Manning usually played behind a very good line in Tarik Glenn, Jake Scott, Jeff Saturday, Dylan Gandy and Ryan Diem. One of them's a guaranteed HoFer, another made his third straight Pro Bowl when Indy won the SB & Diem was a fine blocker in his own right. The guards weren't as good as the center and tackles, but only relatively speaking: They were still good; the edge blockers were just outstanding. They gave up 15 sacks in 16 games that year (one of them of Joseph Addai.) That's not just the QB; they kept his pants clean every week.

Manning didn't Elway the Colts to two SBs. Really. Their defense was garbage, but their offenses were VERY good, good enough those wretched defenses never mattered till the postseason, and once not even then.

We'll miss Clady, and not just because he's also a pretty good run blocker. Manning will miss him more.

I happen to agree with you, Joel...but to hear the Indy boosters whine about Brady's O-Line protection, you'd think he was getting stoked like Cutler every week, the past few years (Chicago seems to be protecting jay better this season, tho)

Ravage!!!
09-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Not if you saw the Sunday night game.

slim
09-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Obviously that's true, but for a lot of teams it's catastrophic. If Manning's your QB, you have one of the two or three guys who can mitigate that loss because how quickly they get rid of the ball (Brees being the other one who comes to mind). A lot of teams can't be elite with a turnstile at LT, but Manning is one of the very few guys who can. It's not as easy of course, but it doesn't doom Denver's SB hopes the way it would for virtually any other non-Brees quarterback in the league.

It's a lot easier to get by in the regular season than it is in the playoffs, though.

Guys like Clark get exposed in the playoffs. So did his OL in Indy.

SR
09-24-2013, 01:32 PM
I hope you wrote this prior to last night's game. Clearly, when his protection let's down, Manning is like everyone else....no, actually, worse, because he tends to cough the ball up when he gets hit hard...as evidenced in last night's game. I think he was only touched or hurried twice, maybe three times, and gave up the ball. Left alone, he's murder for defenses, but the blueprint to beat him is clearly established, and losing his all-pro left tackle could come back to bite the Broncos.

His turnover per game ratio for fumbles is among the best in history for QBs. They stated that stat during the game last night.

Mike
09-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Clark will be fine. He played well beyond my expectations last night. The one sack he gave up was more on the formation and Manning. No TE or RB help and Manning held on to the ball too long. In that set Manning has to get rid of the ball quickly. He didn't.

Clark won't ever be Clady, but if he gives that kind of a performance then Denver will be good enough.

slim
09-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Trolling, trolling, trolling....

Joel
09-28-2013, 07:58 AM
I happen to agree with you, Joel...but to hear the Indy boosters whine about Brady's O-Line protection, you'd think he was getting stoked like Cutler every week, the past few years (Chicago seems to be protecting jay better this season, tho)
To be fair, Brady's always had elite protection, too, and finding Vollmer AND Solder in the middle of AFCCG and SB appearances is just WRONG. I understand why Colts fans would be jealous once they lost their elite linemen. For most of the past decade I considered the Colts and Pats offensive lines neck and neck for the best in the game, certainly at pass protection. If Romo and Cutler had that kind of protection they might each have multiple Rings (though Romo does have that annoying tendency to collapse against anything more than average competition; the times he's come up big in big games are memorable because rare.)