PDA

View Full Version : Von could learn from his friend Aldon Smith

P34flyboy
09-23-2013, 08:59 AM
I dislike Aldon Smith very much, and none of it is related to football. The guy is a terrible human-being, not only because of DUIs, but also the reports of his actions at the parties he hosts. Him and an old teammate in San Fran ended the party by shooting their handguns everywhere and in return guys were firing back and ended up getting people shot in the process. I know this is just a report, but the way I look at it, is this would never come up if it never happened.

But after all of this, Aldon spoke with reporters after the game, apologized, and said he needed to get help and he would be back when he is better. Von's response to his issues was denial by saying "I did nothing wrong" and no apology. He needs to clean up his act and take responsibility like his friend Aldon Smith did. Especially after yesterday's report from Schefter and Mortenson about corrupting the system. It is pretty clear he did something wrong. Man up Von!

CoachChaz
09-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Yeah...because denying you got high is so much worse than admitting you drive drunk and fire guns aimlessly into the air. You're right...Aldon Smith is a bona fide role model

claymore
09-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Problem with Von is that all of his mishaps have trickled out week after week. When you lump all of it together, what he did is so minor in comparrison to Smith its not funny. Von is a dumb kid with tons of money. Aldon, is on the path to being a terrible person.

CoachChaz
09-23-2013, 09:29 AM
They are good friends in the off-season. Perhaps they share brain cells as well

P34flyboy
09-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Yeah...because denying you got high is so much worse than admitting you drive drunk and fire guns aimlessly into the air. You're right...Aldon Smith is a bona fide role model

You make my point. If Smith can admit to being wrong about his crap and apologize, why is it so hard for Von to do it??

P34flyboy
09-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Problem with Von is that all of his mishaps have trickled out week after week. When you lump all of it together, what he did is so minor in comparrison to Smith its not funny. Von is a dumb kid with tons of money. Aldon, is on the path to being a terrible person.

I know what he did was minor in comparison, that's not the point. He just has to man up and apologize.

Nomad
09-23-2013, 09:44 AM
To me, it's a wash, they both aren't playing because of being stupid.

claymore
09-23-2013, 10:04 AM
I know what he did was minor in comparison, that's not the point. He just has to man up and apologize.

Id rather not have an apology. There is no way to know if he was sincere. I just want him to make better decisions.

Dzone
09-23-2013, 10:06 AM
They are good friends in the off-season. Perhaps they share brain cells as well
It appears that they like to get together and kill brain cells

GEM
09-23-2013, 10:13 AM
I could care less if he apologizes. I care that he isn't on the field. Actions speak a whole lot louder than an apology.

Army Bronco
09-23-2013, 10:16 AM
They are good friends in the off-season. Perhaps they share brain cells as wellNo they share "A" brain cell.

P34flyboy
09-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Maybe it's because i'm Canadian and we apologize for everything I just expect it. Obviously him being back on the field is more important. I just look at the quality of a man by taking responsibility for his actions instead of just hiding or placing blame elsewhere.

I was hoping the face of our franchise for the future was a man instead of a cowherd. I guess it's just me.

jhns
09-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Was Smith going to deny it when he got arrested? If he was so sorry, he wouldn't have done it.

I agree though. I think Miller should gice up weed and just start driving around drunk while shooting a gun out the window. He would probably get in less trouble with the league that way. They really hate the weed.

claymore
09-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Maybe it's because i'm Canadian and we apologize for everything I just expect it. Obviously him being back on the field is more important. I just look at the quality of a man by taking responsibility for his actions instead of just hiding or placing blame elsewhere.

I was hoping the face of our franchise for the future was a man instead of a cowherd. I guess it's just me.

If he would have came out with a sincere, heartfelt apology, then all of this "new" (old) information continued to leak out we would all be even more pissed at him. But, I get where you are coming from. I guess I only care that he plays. I dont care about all this minor stuff.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Before the Players Association and his agent told him not to talk to the media anymore Miller did say that he needed to grow up.

Northman
09-23-2013, 11:12 AM
It appears that they like to get together and kill brain cells

Maybe that is why Von was buying a gun. Whenever they have their next shindig they will get the ho-down and party like its 1999. Gang-um style.

ShaneFalco
09-23-2013, 03:55 PM
This would be the reaction in Colorado.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/BooThisMan.gif

Joel
09-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah...because denying you got high is so much worse than admitting you drive drunk and fire guns aimlessly into the air.
In the NFLs eyes it certainly seems so. Yeah, Miller could indeed learn much from Smith: Get drunk, not stoned, because the NFL is evidently more comfortable with players getting drunk and running over people than with players smoking pot in their own living rooms. So Miller gets a 4 game suspension for a repetaed violation, upped to 6 because he sought out an accomplice, and the CBA PROHIBITS suspending Smith before he gets his day in court for a repeated violation. Whether one feels good, bad or indifferent about (non-alcoholic) drugs, that's a pretty shabby double standard.

VonDoom
09-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Smith apparently is going into a treatment program and will miss some time, for what it's worth:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9713973/san-francisco-49ers-put-aldon-smith-non-football-injury-list

wayninja
09-23-2013, 04:29 PM
I'll admit I haven't read every report or know every detail on Von's transgressions, but why does everyone assume that it was Pot that Von was covering up? Has there been a subsequent test since the altered/replacement specimen? Is it fair to say that we have no idea what drug(s) Von is hiding? Or is it just an assumption based on his rookie year test?

ShaneFalco
09-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Just to answer your question...

I believe he tested positive for it once before, and rumors about him smoking in nightclubs and doing it in college a bunch.

BroncoWave
09-23-2013, 04:33 PM
In the NFLs eyes it certainly seems so. Yeah, Miller could indeed learn much from Smith: Get drunk, not stoned, because the NFL is evidently more comfortable with players getting drunk and running over people than with players smoking pot in their own living rooms. So Miller gets a 4 game suspension for a repetaed violation, upped to 6 because he sought out an accomplice, and the CBA PROHIBITS suspending Smith before he gets his day in court for a repeated violation. Whether one feels good, bad or indifferent about (non-alcoholic) drugs, that's a pretty shabby double standard.

Failing a league-administered drug test is not the same thing as getting arrested. It's not a double standard that they have different suspension guidelines.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2013, 04:39 PM
If you ever need any evidence that I can evaluate football talent, look no further than the 2011 NFL draft.

I say this mostly in jest, but a tiny bit seriously. You see, the fall before, I'd covered Missouri's 2010 season. As such, I'd been subjected to months of chatter that Blaine Gabbert might be the No. 1 pick in 2011.

I disagreed. I thought his teammate, Aldon Smith, should go before him, and I was also high on Von Miller, whom I'd seen play in October in College Station, Texas. (I also liked his glasses.)

rest - interesting - http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_24156967/von-miller-aldon-smith-show-chasm-between-young

Joel
09-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Failing a league-administered drug test is not the same thing as getting arrested. It's not a double standard that they have different suspension guidelines.
You're right; repeated arrests are far worse than repeated violations of company policy. Yet the CBA says the NFL can't suspend Smith until he's had his day in court; no such prohibition exists for Miller. Maybe when the NFL airs as many pot commercials as beer commercials each week that will change. But, hey, at least Smith's not doing any drugs, right? ;) He just, y'know, can't stop consuming an intoxicating substance that impairs his judgement and motor skills, even when it threatens his job and the lives of others.

BroncoWave
09-23-2013, 04:54 PM
You're right; repeated arrests are far worse than repeated violations of company policy. Yet the CBA says the NFL can't suspend Smith until he's had his day in court; no such prohibition exists for Miller. Maybe when the NFL airs as many pot commercials as beer commercials each week that will change. But, hey, at least Smith's not doing any drugs, right? ;) He just, y'know, can't stop consuming an intoxicating substance that impairs his judgement and motor skills, even when it threatens his job and the lives of others.

That's because failing a drug test doesn't require a day in court. You know right then that the player is guilty of the offense, because you have the positive test result to prove it. And you can still appeal and the league can't suspend you until the appeal is heard, so you do get due process before you have to miss a game.

Sorry, but I'm failing to see the double standard here.

BroncoWave
09-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Also, my argument has nothing to do with the pot vs DUI debate. I'm not arguing that one is worse than the other. I'm just arguing that a company drug test is going to have different policies than an arrest, and having different standards in place doesn't constitute a double standard.

wayninja
09-23-2013, 04:56 PM

When you say they are 'worse', what do you mean? The NFL is not the police and is not there to enforce US law. There is some overlap in conduct between US law and the NFL policy, but there nothing that sets the magnitude of a breach of NFL policy proportional to that set by US courts. There are also examples of something being perfectly legal, but yet completely against NFL policy and warranting penalites fines etc.

I just don't think you can equate an arrest to another breach of policy 1 for 1 like that. Miller didn't have a day in court because he broke no US law (or at least wasn't charged with any crime).

Another point you aren't mentioning is that Smiths' breach was outside 'the office' so to speak. Von's was not. That necessitates treating them a little differently, and I don't really see it as a double standard.

silkamilkamonico
09-23-2013, 05:21 PM
who cares whats worse and who apologizes. miller isnt doing anything fir his team at the moment.

at least miller is moving his daddy in to babysit him 24 hours a day

Simple Jaded
09-24-2013, 12:36 AM
We don't know that Smith wasn't smokin weed, they found weed on his car from what I read. Maybe that's one reason Smith is taking his act to rehab, perhaps he hasn't been tested and his absence would give him time to clean his system.