PDA

View Full Version : Journeyman Clark Is Manning’s New Protector

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2013, 08:46 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) – Chris Clark has a message for all those Denver Broncos fans fretting that their Super Bowl aspirations could be derailed by Ryan Clady’s foot injury: Relax, I got this.

“There it is,” Clark said with a wink and a smile. “There it is.”

Clady, the three-time Pro Bowler, two-time All-Pro and former first-round draft pick who has protected Peyton Manning’s blindside since the four-time MVP arrived in Denver last season, is expected to miss at least a couple of months with a sprained left foot.

AND

Clark, whose only career starts came at tight end during the Tim Tebow era in Denver, promises, however, that he’s not going to be the weak link.

“That’s what drives me. I don’t want to be THAT guy,” Clark said. “… So, my preparation, I try to be A-1 with it, just staying on course just to make sure the offense doesn’t miss a beat.”

rest - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/09/18/journeyman-clark-is-mannings-new-protector/

SR
09-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Lets hope his attitude follows him to the field.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Manning won a Superbowl with Tony Ugoh at LT. I think what Clark meant to say is, "Peyton's got this".

TXBRONC
09-20-2013, 12:41 PM
I hope he can back that up. He doesn't have to be as good as Clady but if he can do an adequate job Denver should be just fine.

BroncoWave
09-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Not really worried. Peyton has had less than stellar protection before. He's just so good at avoiding pressure in the pocket it almost doesn't matter who is blocking for him.

TXBRONC
09-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Manning won a Superbowl with Tony Ugoh at LT. I think what Clark meant to say is, "Peyton's got this".

HP I just looked that up and Tarik Glenn was still protecting Manning's blindside in 2006.

Joel
09-20-2013, 06:10 PM
HP I just looked that up and Tarik Glenn was still protecting Manning's blindside in 2006.
Right; the Colts actually had a VERY good line in their glory days; back then I considered their line and New Englands the best in the game, and it showed on the scoreboard, not to mention wins, losses and the postseason. Glenn made his third straight Pro Bowl that year, Jeff Saturday'll probably end up in Canton and Ryan Diem was a pretty darned good tackle in his own right. Even at guard, Dylan Gandy was pretty good, and Jake Scott wasn't bad, but their tackles were quite good. Ask David Carr what even the best QB is worth without a line.

Like you said, Clark doesn't have to be a Pro Bowler as long as he's competent; hopefully he is.

MasterShake
09-21-2013, 08:19 AM
To me center was a much bigger concern and Manny is fine so far. Will Clark be pro bowl level? Probably not but if he struggles Manning will slide protection to adjust. The more they want to rush the more receivers will be open and the ball will come out quicker anyway.

atwater27
09-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Not really worried. Peyton has had less than stellar protection before. He's just so good at avoiding pressure in the pocket it almost doesn't matter who is blocking for him.

There is a major difference now. His less than stellar protection before was pre-major neck surgery, and he was much younger then.