PDA

View Full Version : NFL safety committees told teams not to wear throwback helmets

weazel
09-18-2013, 01:14 PM
The news that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won’t wear their Bucco Bruce throwback helmets comes a month after two NFL safety committees concluded that throwback helmets are a bad idea.

The league office passed along to PFT a memo that was sent to the clubs in August, saying that when throwback uniforms are worn, helmets should not be changed.

“Our Head, Neck, and Spine Committee, chaired by Drs. Hunt Batjer and Richard Ellenbogen, and the Player Safety Advisory Panel, chaired by John Madden and Ronnie Lott, have recommended that players no longer wear different helmets as part of a ‘Throwback’ or ‘Third’ uniform,” the memo from the league office said. “Our office supports this change and has reviewed it with the chairman of our Health and Safety ownership committee, Dr. John York, who concurs with this recommendation.”

read more... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/17/nfl-safety-committees-told-teams-not-to-wear-throwback-helmets/

OrangeHoof
09-18-2013, 01:53 PM
If the helmets can just have the current decals removed and replaced with the throwback ones, the NFL is okay with that. They just don't want injuries because the players are wearing retro helmets with old school padding.

Dzone
09-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Nothings says "1970s!" like those old orangecicle buccaneers jerseys..disappoointed they should have planned ahead better...
Is Denver doing any throwbacks this year?

weazel
09-18-2013, 03:02 PM
I was under the assumption that once they found a good fitting helmet thats the ones they use, and can't switch to others. Even the "throwback" helmets are new, they aren't old helmets with old padding.

Dzone
09-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Ya, they should all go back to the 70s-80s air pump up helmets lol...damn those weere miserable, plus spearing with the head was totally legal back then

LawDog
09-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Ya, they should all go back to the 70s-80s air pump up helmets lol...damn those weere miserable, plus spearing with the head was totally legal back then

Don't they still use air pumps to fine tune the fit? I thought I saw equipment guys using a pump at the beginning of the Knowshon/Derek mic'd up video...

CoachChaz
09-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Why does wearing throwback unis have anything to do with equipment? Are teams seriously dusting off the helmets the guys wore in the 70's? Somehow I dont think so

Joel
09-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Leather is soft and absorbs impact well; the League's making a mistake. Go, Staleys; Go, America! :tongue:

HORSEPOWER 56
09-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Why does wearing throwback unis have anything to do with equipment? Are teams seriously dusting off the helmets the guys wore in the 70's? Somehow I dont think so

That's what I was thinking. Are they really that dumb? Why not use the normal helmets with a fresh coat of paint and different decal? This makes zero sense.

Ravage!!!
09-18-2013, 04:12 PM
yeah.. I've never thought that the "throwbacks" were actually using 1960 helmets. Haven't we seen throwbacks that were from the days of single bar face-masks? They weren't wearing single bars. This is just a weird announcement.

MOtorboat
09-18-2013, 04:47 PM
So, if the Bucs wear the throwback creamsicle, they have to wear the pewter helmets? Am I reading that right?

Didn't the Bears wear a different helmet this weekend with their throwbacks?

HORSEPOWER 56
09-18-2013, 04:56 PM
So, if the Bucs wear the throwback creamsicle, they have to wear the pewter helmets? Am I reading that right?

Didn't the Bears wear a different helmet this weekend with their throwbacks?

Yep. And they didn't wear old helmets just ones painted to look old.

MOtorboat
09-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Yep. And they didn't wear old helmets just ones painted to look old.

Uni-watch.com's lead story is about it today. This means no red helmets for the Falcons, White helmets for the Cowboys, Yellow helmets for the Steelers or Brown helmets for the Packers and Redskins. The Packers will still be wearing their throwback blue jerseys with the yellow circle number on the front, but with their yellow helmets with the logos and stripes removed for that game.

Detroit can wear their throwbacks and have the blank silver look by just removing the stickers/stripes. This weekend, Chicago just removed their logos, and the Bills replaced their new logo with the standing buffalo logo.

But all players can only have one helmet during the season.

wayninja
09-18-2013, 05:08 PM
There seems to be lots of confusion in this thread. The crux of the conclusion is that they don't want players having 'additional' helmets that have not been fitted properly solely for appearance sake. If the teams want to decal/paint over the existing, custom fitted helmets, that's fine.

No one was ever considering changing the design of the helmets being worn to be retro (in function or material) in any way. The issue is only over how the helmets were fitted.

Ravage!!!
09-18-2013, 05:14 PM
There seems to be lots of confusion in this thread. The crux of the conclusion is that they don't want players having 'additional' helmets that have not been fitted properly solely for appearance sake. If the teams want to decal/paint over the existing, custom fitted helmets, that's fine.

No one was ever considering changing the design of the helmets being worn to be retro (in function or material) in any way. The issue is only over how the helmets were fitted.

Oh.. well..... that makes sense then.

Broncolingus
09-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Tampa Bay 'throwback helmet?'

Dapper Dan
09-18-2013, 10:07 PM
I was under the assumption that players were new stuff all the time, even helmets. When a guy gets cut or traded, should he take his helmet with him and paint it? When's it okay to get a new helmet? You'd think with the technology and money they have now that a new helmet would be safe.

weazel
09-19-2013, 10:01 AM
some of you have bad comprehension skills lol. Nobody is wearing old equipment. The players get fitted for a helmet at the start of the season and that is now their helmet all year. The NFL doesn't want the teams to use different helmets for throwback games and have the players use other helmets.

so here's the math... 1 helmet per player.

MOtorboat
09-19-2013, 10:22 AM
some of you have bad comprehension skills lol. Nobody is wearing old equipment. The players get fitted for a helmet at the start of the season and that is now their helmet all year. The NFL doesn't want the teams to use different helmets for throwback games and have the players use other helmets.

so here's the math... 1 helmet per player.

Teams know months in advance if they are going to wear an alternate or a throwback because it has to be approved by the league. I don't know why they couldn't fit a player for two helmets at the beginning of the season, and just paint the two helmets differently.

weazel
09-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Teams know months in advance if they are going to wear an alternate or a throwback because it has to be approved by the league. I don't know why they couldn't fit a player for two helmets at the beginning of the season, and just paint the two helmets differently.

I agree. The whole 1 helmet per player rule doesn't work anyway, guys break or lose helmets. Heck we've seen guys lose their helmets on the sideline during a game haha

I see the NFL's point though, they were just sued by the old players for concussions

Dapper Dan
09-19-2013, 11:11 AM
If stats showed players with white helmets received more concussions, the NFL would ban white helmets.

Earendil
09-19-2013, 04:58 PM
yeah.. I've never thought that the "throwbacks" were actually using 1960 helmets. Haven't we seen throwbacks that were from the days of single bar face-masks? They weren't wearing single bars. This is just a weird announcement.

That's what I was thinking. The uniforms themselves are still new, so why wouldn't the helmets be?

Now if they would just keep the Steelers from wearing those god awful bumblebee uniforms...