PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to sign Winston Justice

Denver Native (Carol)
09-18-2013, 10:09 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos liked what they saw from veteran tackle Winston Justice in a workout and will sign the veteran, according to team sources.

He will receive the veteran minimum plus another $350,000 in incentives, a league source told ESPN. The move is expected to be announced by the end of the business day in the wake of Ryan Clady's left foot injury.

Clady suffered a Lisfranc sprain late in the Broncos 41-23 victory over the Giants Sunday in MetLife Stadium. The Broncos spent most of Tuesday working Clady through several medical exams

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9688404/denver-broncos-sign-winston-justice

CoachChaz
09-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Wasnt he always a right tackle? I know he was in Philly anyway

Denver Native (Carol)
09-18-2013, 10:12 AM
from article:

Ed Werder of ESPN reports that one of those options is former Eagle and Colt Winston Justice. According to Werder, Justice worked out for the team on Wednesday.

Justice didn’t generate much interest as a free agent this offseason after playing 12 games with the Colts last season. Justice’s experience is mostly on the right side of the line, making it unlikely that he’d leap over Chris Clark in the event that Clady needs to be replaced for an extended period of time.

full article - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/18/broncos-work-out-winston-justice/

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Wasnt he always a right tackle? I know he was in Philly anyway

I believe you are correct, but Clark was our only back up OT.

CoachChaz
09-18-2013, 10:16 AM
I believe you are correct, but Clark was our only back up OT.

I posted this in the Clady thread...Fox was on NFL radio yesterday with Pat Kirwan and PK asked him about the Clady situation. I didnt expect Fox to be negative about the scenario, but I also didnt expect him to be so "glowingly" supportive of Clark. Apparently the team really likes him there. I guess we'll see

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I posted this in the Clady thread...Fox was on NFL radio yesterday with Pat Kirwan and PK asked him about the Clady situation. I didnt expect Fox to be negative about the scenario, but I also didnt expect him to be so "glowingly" supportive of Clark. Apparently the team really likes him there. I guess we'll see

He did pretty well in the preseason. He doesn't seem to be as good at run blocking as Clady, but he did well in pass protection.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 16m

RT @AdamSchefter: Broncos signed former Colts and Eagles OT Winston Justice --->>>another clue that Clady will be out a while. Long while

TXBRONC
09-18-2013, 10:20 AM
I wonder which IR Clady is going to be placed on?

chazoe60
09-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Who gets cut to make room?

Ravage!!!
09-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Who gets cut to make room?

Clady. If Clady is on IR, then his spot is filled with Winston.

Ravage!!!
09-18-2013, 10:27 AM
I wonder which IR Clady is going to be placed on?

Can't they put him on season ending (or whatever designation), after the short term IR? Seems it wouldn't make sense to right him off, unless they know he needs surgery and are doing it now. Otherwise, lets see what happens and make a move from there?

CoachChaz
09-18-2013, 10:28 AM
He did pretty well in the preseason. He doesn't seem to be as good at run blocking as Clady, but he did well in pass protection.

I didnt get to see 3 of the pre-season games, so I'm in the dark on when it comes to Clark

Ravage!!!
09-18-2013, 10:29 AM
watch out, he's rhyming again.

Foochacho
09-18-2013, 10:32 AM
We should be fine with Clady out even if it ends up being the whole year. Not facing many elite pass rushers in the regular season. Come playoff time Clark will have alot of experience working on our line. We run better to the right anyway so we will keep doing what we are doing.

BigDaddyBronco
09-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Yea, maybe. If Clark doesn't suck and get PFM killed. At least Winston has some experience, should be an able backup. At least they didn't sign the LT the Bears had last year, that wouldn not have ended well.

turftoad
09-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Can't they put him on season ending (or whatever designation), after the short term IR? Seems it wouldn't make sense to right him off, unless they know he needs surgery and are doing it now. Otherwise, lets see what happens and make a move from there?

Sounds like they will put him on short term IR, the sooner they do it the sooner he can come back.

CoachChaz
09-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Who knows...this could be a break out for Clark and he could be nice trade bait

VonDoom
09-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Well, it's official now:

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis
LT Ryan Clady is gGoing on season-ending IR. Done. Team is signing veteran OT Winston Justice. Details coming at http://denverpost.com

CoachChaz
09-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Well...injuries were the one thing that could derail this train. This is a big one

TXBRONC
09-18-2013, 10:51 AM

I think so that's the way it has sounded to me. It depends on bad the injury is.

BigDaddyBronco
09-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Well, it's official now:

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis
LT Ryan Clady is gGoing on season-ending IR. Done. Team is signing veteran OT Winston Justice. Details coming at http://denverpost.com

Well ****. Not good. God, I hope Clark can be servicable as a LT.

chazoe60
09-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Son of a .........

Is it the true season ending IR or that IR MacGahee was on last year where he can be brought back later in the season?

zbeg
09-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Son of a .........

Is it the true season ending IR or that IR MacGahee was on last year where he can be brought back later in the season?

Looks like it's the true season-ending IR. No designation to return here. Surgery + long rehab means he's not going to be ready to play again this season.

I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach right now.

Dapper Dan
09-18-2013, 01:00 PM
He should be quality depth.

broken12
09-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Didn't we trade for that offensive lineman from Seattle, why nit move beadles to lt and plug that guard in .....

TXBRONC
09-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Didn't we trade for that offensive lineman from Seattle, why nit move beadles to lt and plug that guard in .....

Moffit is a guard iirc.

Joel
09-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Aren't they always glowing about anyone who wasn't already starting though? They glowed about Nate Irving all of this AND last preseason, but if Miller weren't on suspension he'd still be a backup. Apart from STs, the same applies to Bruton. We've had more than a few receivers and defensive linemen like that, too. I don't know how other coaches and front offices handle it, but everytime need suddenly forces the Broncos to promote a backup to starter Fox and Co. gush over him so much anyone who believes the hype must wonder Wtf is anyone THAT good only getting his first start now?!

I hope Clark lives up to the hype or we quickly find someone who does, and, as you say, I wouldn't expect Fox to publicly say, "This kid's awful; our seasons over," but I'm not optimistic (shocking, I know.)

TXBRONC
09-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Aren't they always glowing about anyone who wasn't already starting though? They glowed about Nate Irving all of this AND last preseason, but if Miller weren't on suspension he'd still be a backup. Apart from STs, the same applies to Bruton. We've had more than a few receivers and defensive linemen like that, too. I don't know how other coaches and front offices handle it, but everytime need suddenly forces the Broncos to promote a backup to starter Fox and Co. gush over him so much anyone who believes the hype must wonder Wtf is anyone THAT good only getting his first start now?!

I hope Clark lives up to the hype or we quickly find someone who does, and, as you say, I wouldn't expect Fox to publicly say, "This kid's awful; our seasons over," but I'm not optimistic (shocking, I know.)

You want him to come out and say Clark sucks monkey nuts? He didn't say he's Clady's equal but he can do the job.

Joel
09-18-2013, 05:41 PM
You want him to come out and say Clark sucks monkey nuts? He didn't say he's Clady's equal but he can do the job.

I wouldn't expect Fox to publicly say, "This kid's awful; our seasons over," but I'm not optimistic (shocking, I know.)
The worse Clark actually was, the less I'd expect Fox to broadcast it to the whole league. I hope he's at least serviceable, at least as much for Mannings sake as the seasons, but Fox saying so doesn't mean much.

slim
09-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Well ****. Not good. God, I hope Clark can be servicable as a LT.

#85 will be his left shoulder.

Dzone
09-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Sounds like Winston is not going to play LT at all, if Clark goes down, Franklin will move to LT and Winston takes Orlando's spot at RT

Jsteve01
09-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Sounds like Winston is not going to play LT at all, if Clark goes down, Franklin will move to LT and Winston takes Orlando's spot at RT I lived in Philly when justice gave up 6 sacks in a game to osi. We definitely don't want him manning LT.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-18-2013, 08:13 PM
I foresee lot of Victor Green or Knomo chipping on the left side.

Ziggy
09-18-2013, 08:27 PM
I lived in Philly when justice gave up 6 sacks in a game to osi. We definitely don't want him manning LT.

Wasn't that 6 years ago?

TXBRONC
09-18-2013, 09:26 PM
I foresee lot of Victor Green or Knomo chipping on the left side.

It will either be Green or Dressen.

BroncoFanatic
09-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Wasn't that 6 years ago?

And he hasn't been able to stay on a roster since then

Dapper Dan
09-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Oh. Dang. This guy is black. I was thinking of Eric Winston. :confused:

Simple Jaded
09-19-2013, 11:16 PM
I wonder if Jeff Otah is still attempting to get back in the league, he was better than Justice.

UnderArmour
09-20-2013, 09:14 AM
I wonder if Jeff Otah is still attempting to get back in the league, he was better than Justice.

Jeff Otah is a right tackle and we already have a healthier and better player in his mold at the position. It's also pretty telling that Otah didn't get brought into an NFL camp and there's nothing in his history to suggest he could play left tackle. Winston Justice has played both left and right tackle in the NFL and he has had games where he has held his own against some of the league's better pass rushers. Winston is a far superior swing-tackle option to the likes of Jeff Otah.

Clark will do just fine though and so will Manny. As the Broncos of the 90s and 2000s proved, you don't need players with first/second round pedigrees to have an elite offensive line.

Traveler
09-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Anyone know what OT position Justice practiced at yesterday?

CoachChaz
09-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Considering all of Justice's starts have been at RT...I'm going to guess he'll be used as a swing tackle in the event of another injury

UnderArmour
09-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Considering all of Justice's starts have been at RT...I'm going to guess he'll be used as a swing tackle in the event of another injury

Justice has had spot starts at left tackle with the Eagles(notably the Osi game where he gave up 4.5 sacks). It's also important to note that Vick is a left-handed quarterback and this causes the offensive playbook to flip, so he effectively is experienced enough to man either tackle spot in the event of another injury.