PDA

View Full Version : Stat Tracker: Denver Broncos highlighting NFL stat books after two weeks of play

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 03:55 PM
The Denver Broncos (2-0) have certainly gotten off to a hot start in 2013.

Their start has been so hot, they are on pace to break several NFL records this season. In the meantime, the team is leading the league in several major statistical categories.

Team Defense

On defense, the Broncos have allowed a measly 40.5 rushing yards per game, which is an NFL low. It certainly helps when you are averaging 45 points a game and teams have to pass to stay in the contest.

Meanwhile, Denver's defense has allowed offenses to convert on only 27 percent of third down attempts, which ranks them third in the NFL. The team's five sacks ranks 15th and their six interceptions rank first.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/9/17/4735152/several-denver-broncos-among-nfl-stat-leaders-after-two-weeks-of-play

Ravage!!!
09-17-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm LOVING our 3rd down defense so far this year. That has been a gigantic boon to our team.

BroncoWave
09-17-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm LOVING our 3rd down defense so far this year. That has been a gigantic boon to our team.

I'm really curious to see how we've improved in covering the tight end. That was a huge concern area for us last season. Although our schedule is pretty light on elite TEs this season, maybe Witten and Gronk.

Rick
09-17-2013, 04:15 PM
And all the while - without our all pro CB and without arguably the best pass rusher in the NFL.

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 04:20 PM
I had a friend on facebook boasting about how the raiders are #1 in rushing so far. Remember they played the Jags? Who exactlly have they beat?? lol

Well I let him know we are #1 in stopping the run and they are traveling to Denver for MNF. We are top 5 in many categories overall of offense, defense and special teams.

He hasnt responded yet.

Rick
09-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Also, if I looked correctly, we did not score 40 points in any game last year...and have already done it twice this year.

Ravage!!!
09-17-2013, 04:22 PM
I had a friend boasting about how the raiders are #1 in rushing so far. Remember they played the Jags? Who exactlly have they beat?? lol

Well I let him know we are #1 in stopping the run and they are traveling to Denver for MNF. We are top 5 in many categories overall of offense, defense and special teams.

He hasnt responded yet.

Let them be the #1 team in rushing. How many times do you think they will rush when down 30 points?

Ravage!!!
09-17-2013, 04:24 PM
I'm really curious to see how we've improved in covering the tight end. That was a huge concern area for us last season. Although our schedule is pretty light on elite TEs this season, maybe Witten and Gronk.

A couple posters were "scared to death" about the opposing TEs all year round, but didn't seem to be anything that beat us. This year, I think we have better coverage LBs in the game. I'm not too worried about it, but I but Joel and Zam are.

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 04:24 PM

I am loving the play of Chris Harris, DRC, Nacho and Moore. We have a very solid secondary! Just wait till we get and sort of pass rush going. It's going to be turnover central!

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Let them be the #1 team in rushing. How many times do you think they will rush when down 30 points?

They will have to air it out to catch up. Its going to be a very long night for oakland fans. I really hope we put up 50 or more points in these clowns and embarass them on prime time TV.

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 04:29 PM
A couple posters were "scared to death" about the opposing TEs all year round, but didn't seem to be anything that beat us. This year, I think we have better coverage LBs in the game. I'm not too worried about it, but I but Joel and Zam are.

It was really only New Englands TEs that shredded us. I credit Welker for that more than anything. Welker is what created the plays for Gronk and Hernandez.

Now Welk is gone replaced by injury prone Amendola and Hernandez is in jail. NE isnt going to be the same again. Poor Tommy boy.

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Also, if I looked correctly, we did not score 40 points in any game last year...and have already done it twice this year.

Insert Adam Gase and things get aggressive.

TXBRONC
09-17-2013, 04:37 PM
I had a friend on facebook boasting about how the raiders are #1 in rushing so far. Remember they played the Jags? Who exactlly have they beat?? lol

He hasnt responded yet.

I guess there really isn't much he can say. :D

TXBRONC
09-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Insert Adam Gase and things get aggressive.

We still had one of the highest scoring offenses in the League last year.

Rick
09-17-2013, 04:42 PM
It was quite good last year but definitely seems even more amped up this year.

If we can take Oakland out of the running game early we have a shot at a third straight 40.

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 04:45 PM
We still had one of the highest scoring offenses in the League last year.

McCoy was ultra conservative down the stretch. Gase doesnt seem conservative at all.

TXBRONC
09-17-2013, 04:45 PM

If we can take Oakland out of the running game early we have a shot at a third straight 40.

Agreed.

BroncoWave
09-17-2013, 04:46 PM
It was really only New Englands TEs that shredded us. I credit Welker for that more than anything. Welker is what created the plays for Gronk and Hernandez.

Not exactly. These were some of the games TEs had against us last season, other than NE...

Tony Gonzalez: 7 rec, 70 yds, TD
Antonio Gates: 6 rec, 81 yds, 2 TD
Jimmy Graham: 5 rec, 63 yds, TD
Jermaine Gresham: 6 rec, 108 yds
Greg Olsen: 9 rec, 102 yds, 2 TD
Dennis Pitta: 7 rec, 125 yds, 2 TD

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 04:46 PM

I wonder what the record is for consecutive weeks with 40 or more points scored?

BroncoWave
09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Speaking of stats, Decker really needs to clean this up. How did the guy who only dropped 3 passes (allegedly) in his college career develop such butterfingers in the NFL?

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/09/17/eric-deckers-drop-rate-among-worst-in-nfl/21753/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

TXBRONC
09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
McCoy was ultra conservative down the stretch. Gase doesnt seem conservative at all.

In the last eight weeks of the 2012 season we had two games where we scored less than 30 points and both games were on the road.

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Not exactly. These were some of the games TEs had against us last season, other than NE...

Tony Gonzalez: 7 rec, 70 yds, TD
Antonio Gates: 6 rec, 81 yds, 2 TD
Jimmy Graham: 5 rec, 63 yds, TD
Jermaine Gresham: 6 rec, 108 yds
Greg Olsen: 9 rec, 102 yds, 2 TD
Dennis Pitta: 7 rec, 125 yds, 2 TD

We won all of those except Atlanta and we didnt get blown out or anything. Still, you are right, looks like covering TEs has been a concern.

I was thinking teams with dual TE sets. NE has aboslutely carved us up this way in the past. At least if its only 1 TE having a good day then most likely we shut someone else out like a RB or starting WRs.

Ravage!!!
09-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Didn't he lead the team in catches this last game? Not only that, but let the team in targets as well?

The stats in that article really don't mean much when receivers haven't have very many targets for the season. That's two games, and I beleive people were griping last year as he was had the second most TD catches in the NFL as well. Decker runs solid routes, and is doing a fine job. Its TWO games, one of which he led the team in targets and catches.

BroncoWave
09-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Didn't he lead the team in catches this last game? Not only that, but let the team in targets as well?

The stats in that article really don't mean much when receivers haven't have very many targets for the season. That's two games, and I beleive people were griping last year as he was had the second most TD catches in the NFL as well. Decker runs solid routes, and is doing a fine job. Its TWO games, one of which he led the team in targets and catches.

It's not just two games though. He has had drop problems for years. I'm not questioning his productivity, but you can't deny he has dropped his fair share of passes in Denver. I just find it odd when he supposedly only dropped 3 passes in 4 years at Minnesota. What happened?

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Speaking of stats, Decker really needs to clean this up. How did the guy who only dropped 3 passes (allegedly) in his college career develop such butterfingers in the NFL?

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/09/17/eric-deckers-drop-rate-among-worst-in-nfl/21753/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

5 drops in 2 games isnt good but still not concerned as of yet. A couple of those throws were really tough but he also did drop a couple gimmies. I think he heard footsteps and didnt want to get cracked. Didnt get slide like a QB last year in open field?? lol

Still think Decker will turn it on at some point this season.

BroncoWave
09-17-2013, 04:57 PM
We won all of those except Atlanta and we didnt get blown out or anything. Still, you are right, looks like covering TEs has been a concern.

I was thinking teams with dual TE sets. NE has aboslutely carved us up this way in the past. At least if its only 1 TE having a good day then most likely we shut someone else out like a RB or starting WRs.

Well we won 13 games last year, so almost any bad stat you throw our from last season you could still say we won most of those games anyway. I do see your point though!

Ravage!!!
09-17-2013, 04:58 PM

Exactly. What it DOESN'T show is when most of those yards were accumulated. What part of the game? Did they get 10 yrds on a 12 yard first down?

Other than watching the Texas game where our corner allowed Owens to catch that ridiculously long TD catches early, and who stops Tony G and Graham? Which Baltimore game was it where Pitta got 125 yrds and 2 TDs??? The first one where we blew them out?

If their TE is their leading receiver, I'm not too worried about it.

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 04:59 PM
It's not just two games though. He has had drop problems for years. I'm not questioning his productivity, but you can't deny he has dropped his fair share of passes in Denver. I just find it odd when he supposedly only dropped 3 passes in 4 years at Minnesota. What happened?

Balls are getting there alot faster, the speed of the game, timing, differant routes, climate. Alot of factors.

No Tebow or Orton now though. He has Manning so he wont find any excuses if he doesnt start producing, which I think he will.

But hasnt he been playing injured??? Ribs or something like that?? So factor in that too, plus he is getting targeted alot less because of a couple new weapons added.

BroncoWave
09-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Exactly. What it DOESN'T show is when most of those yards were accumulated. What part of the game? Did they get 10 yrds on a 12 yard first down?

Other than watching the Texas game where our corner allowed Owens to catch that ridiculously long TD catches early, and who stops Tony G and Graham? Which Baltimore game was it where Pitta got 125 yrds and 2 TDs??? The first one where we blew them out?

If their TE is their leading receiver, I'm not too worried about it.

Those were definitely good TEs we faced, but I still saw it as an area of concern last season. When you are as good as we are, you almost have to nitpick to find a weakness in the team. Our D does seem to be even better this season though. I look forward to see how we do against better tight ends.

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Well we won 13 games last year, so almost any bad stat you throw our from last season you could still say we won most of those games anyway. I do see your point though!

Some of those teams were passing alot to play catch up. The TE is usually the guy underneath that will keep racking up yards if a QB is trying to chip away.

I was more concerned out the flankers burning us with the deep ball. Like Torrey Smith.

BroncoWave
09-17-2013, 05:03 PM
I was more concerned out the flankers burning us with the deep ball. Like Torrey Smith.

That didn't really happen too often last year though. Our CBs played really well. Smith did have a great game in the playoffs though. We just picked a really bad day to have an off-game that day.

Ravage!!!
09-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Same t hing that happens to QBs that can throw all over the college field with high pass %. He has to be more precise on hsi routes (which he is)..which relies on tougher cuts and smaller windows...thus the QB is throwing to tighter spots... lower intentionally on some cases, or just outside the fingers of defenders on others. The spin on the ball from the NFL QB compared to the college guy, and the room after the catch is generally not nearly as open in the NFL thus having to cover up faster.

I'm just saying, that the guy that wrote an article on the % of things happening (such as catches, pass % or any other stat) after just two games.... is absurd. I mean, seriously? If a QB happened to have 1 bad game this year, then this guy would complain that 50% of the season was BAD for the QB!

BroncoWave
09-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Same t hing that happens to QBs that can throw all over the college field with high pass %. He has to be more precise on hsi routes (which he is)..which relies on tougher cuts and smaller windows...thus the QB is throwing to tighter spots... lower intentionally on some cases, or just outside the fingers of defenders on others. The spin on the ball from the NFL QB compared to the college guy, and the room after the catch is generally not nearly as open in the NFL thus having to cover up faster.

I'm just saying, that the guy that wrote an article on the % of things happening (such as catches, pass % or any other stat) after just two games.... is absurd. I mean, seriously? If a QB happened to have 1 bad game this year, then this guy would complain that 50% of the season was BAD for the QB!

I don't have a problem with the article. We only have two weeks of data to go off so far, and you have to write about something. If these drops were coming out of nowhere, I agree it would be a bad article to write. But since it has been an issue for him in the past, I think it's a fair thing to bring up.

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 05:07 PM
That didn't really happen too often last year though. Our CBs played really well. Smith did have a great game in the playoffs though. We just picked a really bad day to have an off-game that day.

It was really freaky and we picked a terrible day to get burned deep. Moore really had 1 or maybe 2 bad plays that day but he played great the whole season. It was Bailey that gave up big play after big play then that created bigger problems in the secondary because then our safeties are trying to run up to help the CBs.

We beat ourselves but its not going to happen this year. This team looks focused and or DBs look alot better!

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 05:12 PM
I don't have a problem with the article. We only have two weeks of data to go off so far, and you have to write about something. If these drops were coming out of nowhere, I agree it would be a bad article to write. But since it has been an issue for him in the past, I think it's a fair thing to bring up.

Still a little early but it is something the coaches I think are keeping an eye on. Fox seems to trust Decker and so does Manning. Like I said before, not too concerned with Decker as of yet. He is still a damn good WR and without either Thomas, Thomas or Welker he would even be getting targeted more.

Another player I want to see more of next week is Phillips. Are his sacks only going to come in garbage time? He was a ghost Sunday and I think only had 1 tackle. We need QB pressure, this creates even more problems. Right now I am more worried about pass rush then anything.

Ravage!!!
09-17-2013, 05:12 PM

Two weeks of data. Exactly.

BroncoWave
09-17-2013, 05:13 PM

That's what this damn thread it about. :lol:

You didn't seem to have much of a problem with two weeks of positive data.

BroncoWave
09-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Still a little early but it is something the coaches I think are keeping an eye on. Fox seems to trust Decker and so does Manning. Like I said before, not too concerned with Decker as of yet. He is still a damn good WR and without either Thomas, Thomas or Welker he would even be getting targeted more.

Another player I want to see more of next week is Phillips. Are his sacks only going to come in garbage time? He was a ghost Sunday and I think only had 1 tackle. We need QB pressure, this creates even more problems. Right now I am more worried about pass rush then anything.

The only really good passer we face until Von gets back is Romo, so I think even if our pass rush sucks until then we will be fine.

DenBronx
09-17-2013, 05:32 PM

That's what this damn thread it about. :lol:

You didn't seem to have much of a problem with two weeks of positive data.

lol data schmata

LawDog
09-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Just for reference, through two games of the 2013 season, Peyton is completing 67% of his passes. Julius Thomas is catching 69%, Wes Welker 63%, Demaryus Thomas 58% and Eric Decker 55%.