PDA

View Full Version : Broncos in the Second Half

Dapper Dan
09-16-2013, 09:37 AM
The Broncos are outscoring opponents 66-24 in the second half of games.

I think it's a few factors. The hurry up offense takes its toll on opposing defenses. Along with that, third down conversions. 8 for 15 on third downs in each game. Our defense gets to rest. Their defense gets tired. The offense and defense both make corrections. Because not only is it nice to score 33 points a game in the second half, it's nice to hold the other team to 12 points. Each group is feeding off of the other. The offense, the defense, and the special teams. Colquitt, Prater, and Holliday is an excellent trio for special teams. We have some pretty good special teams tacklers. Throw in the fact that we still get Champ and Von back on defense.

This is why some think that Denver has the most complete team in the NFL.

BroncoNut
09-16-2013, 09:41 AM
all good points, but Champ can't cover anymore. sorry folks

Dapper Dan
09-16-2013, 09:47 AM
all good points, but Champ can't cover anymore. sorry folks

The only thing that can't cover is your tshirt and over your beer belly.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-16-2013, 10:00 AM
My only concern right now is the pass rush. Once again, it took until we had a sizable lead and made the Giants one dimensional to get any pressure. It's also a contributor to the defensive PI calls. The CBs know that they aren't getting much help from the pass rush so they have to bump, grab, and shove more to make sure they don't get beaten deep. PI/Holding/Illegal Contact penalties are like offensive line Holding. They happen to some extent on every play it's just a matter of how much the officials enforce it. It's also going to happen much more often in man coverage, of which, we play a ton of due to our lack of pass rush and having to blitz. The more straight up man coverage we play and the less pass rush we have, the more those penalties will occur.

Hopefully, Miller will help the pass rush significantly when he returns but we're putting a lot of pressure on our secondary right now. My hat is off to the coaching staff and Peyton for the halftime adjustments. We dominate in the second half of games because we make great adjustments at halftime on both sides of the ball.

NightTrainLayne
09-16-2013, 10:09 AM
We had a great opening drive yesterday up until Ball fumbled it into the endzone. The rout might have been on earlier if we score a TD there.

I think that there is a lot of pressure on our offense each time they go out, and it is showing up early in the games. As they get comfortable during the game we get better, and are able to really put it on in the second half.

Hopefully, this improves. . .we won't always be able to just ignore scoring in the first half. I would expect that this might rear it's head again in the playoffs where the pressure will be high again.

Dapper Dan
09-16-2013, 10:29 AM
I agree. It is something to worry about. The team needs to get going earlier.

I do take comfort in the fact that, along with the Houston and New England games, these will be two of our tougher games of the year. I'm not saying the other games don't matter. And any of them could easily be a loss. Division games can always sneak up on any team. As far as the teams go, the ones (on our schedule) that will have the best shot at going deep in the playoffs, in my opinion, will be the Ravens, Giants, Texans, and Patriots. And we've shown to compete with half of those teams already. Of course, this is only the regular season. We'll have to keep it up, make the playoffs, and play this well there.

powderaddict
09-16-2013, 10:32 AM
The pass rush gets better as the lead grows because they no longer need to worry about the run, and can just rush the passer.

Once Von gets back, the pass rush will get much better. It's not a huge problem, and the solution is already there.

zbeg
09-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Seeing the Broncos have to blitz to get pressure on the quarterback is so reminiscent of the old Shanahan/Plummer days, when it was all well and good until it came to the playoffs, and then Peyton Manning just picked that team apart in the most painful way.

I'm really glad he's in a position not to eviscerate Denver's blitz anymore. Ugghggh those games gave me nightmares about Peyton for years.

G_Money
09-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Fox in his post-game presser said a lot of the slow starts were based around getting different looks that they weren't recognizing fast enough as players. So at halftime the coaches are drawing them up on the board and clarifying things, and then the players are going out and killing it in the 2nd half.

Not sure how much weight I put on that, but it certainly could be. Peyton has been a 2nd-half-adjustments guy his whole career.

It's why the Patriots used to design two game plans for him: one for the first half, then a completely different look for the second half, so whatever adjustments he was making would be ineffectual. Gotta be really brave to do that, though, to give up on something that's worked for a half to slow him down.

We also had what, 7 or so drops in the game (most in the first 2.5 quarters) and a fumble going in for 7. That's slow somebody down.

We don't seem sharp to start games. I'll take that as long as we can keep the score close and finish games like we're puttin' on the Ritz.

~G

gregbroncs
09-16-2013, 12:20 PM
all good points, but Champ can't cover anymore. sorry folksBecause of one game? He can no longer cover? BS. Complete hyperbole.

zbeg
09-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Because of one game? He can no longer cover? BS. Complete hyperbole.

He was a consensus top 5 corner last season, but...you know. One game. So he's garbage now.

Sheesh.

BroncoNut
09-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Because of one game? He can no longer cover? BS. Complete hyperbole.
I happen to think he's about done if not so already. that's all

oh yeah, which game are you thinking I'm basing that on? just curious.

Broncolingus
09-16-2013, 02:37 PM
I am enjoying being a second-half team for a change...

I think most remember those 'after-Elway' years with Shanahan where we'd get up early on someone and then (what seemed like) hang on for dear life...which would usually fail.

Peyton, like Elway, has always been able to turn it on in the second half...

Ziggy
09-16-2013, 04:43 PM
I believe we have the best coaching staff in the NFL. The Broncos make adjustments better than any team out there. Billechick used to be the best but he's lost his touch over the years. JDR is a master at adjusting the D and our new O coordinator has been impressive so far.

gregbroncs
09-16-2013, 09:08 PM
I happen to think he's about done if not so already. that's all

oh yeah, which game are you thinking I'm basing that on? just curious.The only game he has been burned in more than once for the last 3 years. At least deep.

Dzone
09-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Its best damn offense ever assembled in NFL history

BroncoWave
09-16-2013, 09:19 PM
And it's not even like we're playing badly in first halves, we've just had some weird plays happen to us. The Welker punt muff against Baltimore and the Ball fumble this week stick out the most. The offense is still moving the ball well in the first half, it just hasn't translated into as many points.