PDA

View Full Version : Knowshon Moreno plows over Giants as Broncos' go-to running back

Denver Native (Carol)
09-15-2013, 08:45 PM
It was a physics lesson on turf.

Shoulder down, perfect angle, 220 pounds of brute force traveling at the speed of an NFL game. Another 200 pounds, coming right at that shoulder, desperate, lunging, collision.

Force A meets force B, and Terrell Thomas is upended. The Giants cornerback didn't have a chance against Knowshon Moreno, and though the play was negated by a penalty, it was the kind of hit that makes a fan pause and gasp and wonder how on earth it feels to have the snot knocked out of him.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_24102267/knowshon-moreno-plows-over-giants-broncos-go-running

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-15-2013, 10:06 PM
That was a beautiful hit.

Davii
09-15-2013, 10:23 PM
I was very happy with the improvement in our run game today, specifically in the third quarter. Knowshon had a great game, as did the online. Hopefully Clady is good to go.

tubby
09-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Sauced

Broncolingus
09-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Related to a thread I just posted, but Denver looked very physical today on the offensive side...

...defense did too I suppose...well, for the 10 plays they weren't flagged on :tsk:

karnage
09-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Knowshon also seems to be getting much faster than he was a couple seasons ago. He seems to have found his perfect playing weight, because he can still block awesomely, and now he is able to actually reach the corner on stretch plays and outrun the D down the sideline..On his second TD run he outran the DB that had the angle on him. Knowshon is really starting to find his own, and I hope Denver keeps him after this year.

powderaddict
09-16-2013, 09:18 AM
There were a couple good blocks on those long runs, especially by Green, and Knowshon played very well.

Overall I was a little bit disappointed in the run blocking much of the game. Often the RB's were met behind the line of scrimmage. The interior run blocking was lacking. They pass blocked well. We hung 41 on them at their house though, so there really isn't too much to complain about!

I do think the Dlines the Broncos faced the last two weeks are two of the best, most physical lines we will face all season. So there is that.

OrangeHoof
09-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Knowshon is definitely coming into his own and maybe the Tebow years where the playbook looked a lot different were wasted years for him (injuries played a role too).

I'm not as disappointed in Ball as much as the play-calling for Ball and his lack of creativity. It seem like there were five times in a row where Ball took the handoff and crashed into the LT-LG hole even though there was no hole and got stuffed. Trust your blocks, yes, but the great ones always have a Plan B to take the carry elsewhere if the play is stuffed.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Knowshon is definitely coming into his own and maybe the Tebow years where the playbook looked a lot different were wasted years for him (injuries played a role too).

I'm not as disappointed in Ball as much as the play-calling for Ball and his lack of creativity. It seem like there were five times in a row where Ball took the handoff and crashed into the LT-LG hole even though there was no hole and got stuffed. Trust your blocks, yes, but the great ones always have a Plan B to take the carry elsewhere if the play is stuffed.

I noticed Moreno looks more patient. Some of those running plays were slow developing and Moreno looked a little like TD and the old Broncos where he pushed the play side stretch then hit the cutback lane. Ball is young and still just hits the designed play side hole (there or not) much like Moreno did early on.

Ball will learn. Moreno is finally playing in his element and is showing that he can contribute.

G_Money
09-16-2013, 11:42 AM
The problems I used to have with Moreno:

1) didn't run to daylight/couldn't read cutback lanes.
2) Had no leg-drive or heft to his running, couldn't break tackles.
3) Bad blocker, didn't seem to understand his responsibilities
4) no burst
5) juked and fell down instead of laying somebody out for extra yards
6) easily nicked up
7) ran tentatively

Other than that he was fine. :lol:

Well now he:
1) reads his lanes well and
4) hits the hole with burst and
5) runs over people / 2) runs through the arms tackles that used to up-end him easily and
7) plays every play with the enthusiasm of it being his last and/or most important play ever

He's also 3) gotten better at blocking.

Moreno seems to realize this is his last shot at a real gig, and if he can't prove it here he'll have a lot of trouble proving it anywhere else. So he's buckled down and is finally running like a guy worthy of playing time. Now it's Ball who's running tentatively, can't find daylight or wait for his blockers, isn't breaking tackles or getting extra yards... ;) I mind it less in a rookie getting used to the speed of the game; hopefully it doesn't take him 4 years to figure it out.

What I loved were Fox's comments after the game, to the effect of, "He (Moreno) was drafted before I got here, and some guys have certain reps. I couldn't be more proud of how he's grown as a person and a player."

We weren't wrong about Moreno running like a lazy, entitled, ineffectual cuss. But he ain't running like that now. :salute: Some kids take longer to grow up than others, or to realize what they have to do to reach their potential. I remember Tiki Barber as a really frustrating, fumble-prone running back who took several years to grow into himself. Most running backs don't get that kind of team, since RB is the least-tenured position in the league - but if you get the time, make the most of it, and Moreno just might be doing that.

Knowshon on a Tiki path would be just fine with me. Now he just needs to stay healthy and keep playing with all the energy and intelligence that he is now.

It's always better late than never, for everyone concerned. Congrats on a couple very nice games Knowshon. Keep it up!

~G