PDA

View Full Version : Broncos LB Von Miller beefing up support system with parents

Denver Native (Carol)
09-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Denver star linebacker Von Miller aims to return to the team following his six-game drug suspension a more mature, responsible individual, according to sources close to the player, including having his parents move in with him in Denver.

Miller has become a media target following his suspension and his recent issues with speeding, and should he fail another drug test or have irregularities with his sample and follow every part of the program's strict protocol, he would be facing a season-long suspension. To that end Miller's parents have moved in with the third-year player shortly after his suspension came down, and the Broncos plan to have a team employee work directly with Miller on a daily basis making sure he is coordinating his time wisely, and working with the player's representatives closely.

Miller isn't seen as a bad kid by any stretch, but clearly he has issues with maturity and responsibility. He's been known to show up to the wrong meeting at the team facility or show up late despite being inside the facility, with details sometimes slipping his mind. For lack of a better word, team officials will babysit him more closely and ensure Miller understands that things many would take for granted -- like traveling outside of the state without first notifying the NFL -- he cannot do. Due to the stage of the drug program he is in, all such trips must be cleared first so that Miller is able to potentially be drug tested.

rest - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23661621/broncos-lb-von-miller-beefing-up-support-system-with-parents

SR
09-15-2013, 02:05 PM
So sad. Just goes to show the very distinct difference between being smart and being capable.

Chef Zambini
09-15-2013, 02:09 PM
babysitting, exactly.
I guess his parents are getting a second chance at doing their job too.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-15-2013, 02:26 PM
babysitting, exactly.

This will be the THIRD time I posted the following when someone has felt the need to put Von's parents down:

from a 2011 article:

Miller referred to not just NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, but also to some of his soon-to-be Broncos teammates as "Mister." He did the same for star NFL quarterbacks he will be expected to chase down ("Mr. Manning," "Mr. Brees"), explaining why he consented to have his name added to the players' lawsuit against the league.

"I like to show respect to those guys," he said of his pending Broncos teammates. "I haven't met those guys in person, so going by nicknames and stuff, I don't think that would be appropriate until we build a relationship and I can prove myself, gaining respect."

So where'd this come from? The same household and influences where the elder Von Miller was shocked to find out that his son was playing football.

"That was the way I was raised and the way we raised our children," said the father.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/ci_17966890

AND

from same article:

When Miller rebelled and said he would transfer, Sherman responded that if he really wanted to leave, the coach would sign his release.

Von loaded up his 1981 pickup truck and started back to DeSoto. His phone rang. His father put it simply: "Turn around."

"It wasn't the right thing to do," Von, the father, said. "That's not who we are."

Said the son: "I pulled over. I objected and gave him my opinion, and I told him what I wanted to do. He said, 'No, the right thing to do is to go back and fix what you've done. You can't run from things.'

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_17966890

Chef Zambini
09-15-2013, 02:54 PM
so you want to give his parents credit for being respectful to people but they dont figure in to the equasion when it comes to lack of respect for rules and laws?
besides, I didnt say the parents were bad parents, i just said they were getting a second chance.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-15-2013, 03:11 PM
so you want to give his parents credit for being respectful to people but they dont figure in to the equasion when it comes to lack of respect for rules and laws?
besides, I didnt say the parents were bad parents, i just said they were getting a second chance.

When Miller rebelled and said he would transfer, Sherman responded that if he really wanted to leave, the coach would sign his release.

Von loaded up his 1981 pickup truck and started back to DeSoto. His phone rang. His father put it simply: "Turn around."

"It wasn't the right thing to do," Von, the father, said. "That's not who we are."

Said the son: "I pulled over. I objected and gave him my opinion, and I told him what I wanted to do. He said, 'No, the right thing to do is to go back and fix what you've done. You can't run from things.'

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_17966890

GEM
09-15-2013, 06:39 PM
babysitting, exactly.

Zam, don't speak of shit you don't know about.

MOtorboat
09-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Zam is the last person who should be lecturing others on accountability.

BroncoNut
09-15-2013, 06:50 PM
I think it's cool that Von has parents like that. so he's a young knucklehead that might be a bit slow on the uptake/still doing stupid shit. who knows what the issues are, NO ONE. i think it's great what his Parents are doing.

dogfish
09-15-2013, 07:07 PM
wasn't his dad riding shotgun while von was driving around with no license?

we'll see if it helps. . . all this talk about how he's gonna get his shit together is just that-- talk-- until it actually happens. . . i'm hoping for the best. . .

Chef Zambini
09-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Zam, don't speak of shit you don't know about.yes mam, because YOU are so much closer to the miller family you have every right to talk about thew miller family whereas i do not.
yes mam.

Chef Zambini
09-15-2013, 07:54 PM
lets be sure and make this thread about me.
go broncos

wayninja
09-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Adderall is a helluva drug.

Joker56
09-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Ok they moved in with him... great
BUT ...
how in the H did his dad let him drive ????
ummmm
Bonehead move on his part..
Now i am not sure if he knew that Von's license was in jeopardy...
but ...
he should have asked Von...
Made sure about it..

Just my 2 cents ..

Joker56
09-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Sure Zam can say things that sound silly... but he can say smart stuff at times also...Us old people... (i is 57)
We can sound different to young ones ..

Nomad
09-15-2013, 09:44 PM
I must of missed where it says his father knew Von had a suspended license.

Joel
09-16-2013, 05:32 PM
wasn't his dad riding shotgun while von was driving around with no license?

we'll see if it helps. . . all this talk about how he's gonna get his shit together is just that-- talk-- until it actually happens. . . i'm hoping for the best. . .
I had the same thought, followed by Pity dad wasn't there to say, 'No, the right thing to do is to go back and fix what you've done.' when Miller was skipping court dates without paying fines.

He's 24; if he still needs a babysitter to stay out of jail or of suspension that doesn't suggest his parents did a great job raising him, or will do a better one now that he's grown. I wish the guy well, as a person and a Bronco, but don't think mom and dad returning to wet nurse him will solve the basic problem.

Dzone
09-16-2013, 06:10 PM
That Molly shit can cause permanent brain damage. He probably took too much and fried his brain

BroncoNut
09-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Zam and Joker are an embarrassment to geriatrics everywhere

Broncolingus
09-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Whatever you need to do, Von...

...but, no escaping it's ultimately just on you to be of good character, brother.

(JMO)

Ziggy
09-17-2013, 12:42 AM
I just hope he turns it around. Moving the parents in is a great step in the right direction. Nothing beats accountability when it comes to turning things around. Let's hope he turns out to be more like Jared Allen than Aaron Hernandez in the long run.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-17-2013, 12:19 PM
I just hope he turns it around. Moving the parents in is a great step in the right direction. Nothing beats accountability when it comes to turning things around. Let's hope he turns out to be more like Jared Allen than Aaron Hernandez in the long run.

It's easy to take a dump on the kid, but I can see how this would happen. He seems to have a happy go lucky personality. Add millions of dollars to his celebrity status, and he's away from home for the first time, and bam, he's acting like a rock and roll star. It doesn't mean he can't turn it around.

Like you pointed out, accountability is a big step in the right direction, and I'd like to point out that it couldn't have been easy for him to ask his parents to move in with him.

Krugan
09-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Great move, hopefully the concern for making himself the best he can be is a reality.

I would love nothing more to have the best D player in the league be in Denver and be a role model type player.(and they are, the NFL makes them that way whether its agreable or not)

OrangeHoof
09-17-2013, 01:06 PM
The Cowboys once hired Calvin Hill to develop a program for miscreant players to keep them from trouble. Apparently, it didn't always work but you'd think the Broncos could spend some money to do the same thing since not doing so means losing players they have invested in.

I Eat Staples
09-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Ok they moved in with him... great
BUT ...
how in the H did his dad let him drive ????
ummmm
Bonehead move on his part..
Now i am not sure if he knew that Von's license was in jeopardy...
but ...
he should have asked Von...
Made sure about it..

Just my 2 cents ..

When I drive with my parents, they don't ask me to show them my license every time. You sort of assume someone has their license when you get in a car with them.

The Glue Factory
09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I had the same thought, followed by Pity dad wasn't there to say, 'No, the right thing to do is to go back and fix what you've done.' when Miller was skipping court dates without paying fines.

He's 24; if he still needs a babysitter to stay out of jail or of suspension that doesn't suggest his parents did a great job raising him, or will do a better one now that he's grown. I wish the guy well, as a person and a Bronco, but don't think mom and dad returning to wet nurse him will solve the basic problem.

Kids can have great parents that do a fantastic job and still end up complete chowder-heads. I'm not the best father, but my eldest daughter has a head start in going that way. It's 50/50 whether she'll figure out how to do life right or continue to be a knuckle-head. My hat's off to the parents willing to do what they can to help their son.

Ravage!!!
09-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Kids can have great parents that do a fantastic job and still end up complete chowder-heads. I'm not the best father, but my eldest daughter has a head start in going that way. It's 50/50 whether she'll figure out how to do life right or continue to be a knuckle-head. My hat's off to the parents willing to do what they can to help their son.

Bingo. SOme are trying to make it out to be the "bad parents" because their kid didn't show up on a TRAFFIC VIOLATION! :lol:

The parents moving in are about his pot smoking. It's simply putting positive people around him. I'm glad MOST of the fans aren't around Von most of the time. Can you imagine having Joel around him on an everyday basis? He'd go postal.

Hawgdriver
09-17-2013, 05:03 PM
This will be the THIRD time I posted the following when someone has felt the need to put Von's parents down

:mhs:

Hawgdriver
09-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Von, make a good decision, gut it out, glory is yours.

Cugel
09-17-2013, 05:43 PM
It's easy to take a dump on the kid, but I can see how this would happen. He seems to have a happy go lucky personality. Add millions of dollars to his celebrity status, and he's away from home for the first time, and bam, he's acting like a rock and roll star. It doesn't mean he can't turn it around.

Like you pointed out, accountability is a big step in the right direction, and I'd like to point out that it couldn't have been easy for him to ask his parents to move in with him.

This is basically the problem. And the NFL is, according to one former player "the last bastion of fascism in America." It's a corporate control program where the workers do what they're told at all hours of the day and night -- or else, they don't play in the league.

They get paid, and paid very, very well for playing in this league.

But, they surrender their freedom for however long they get to play. Period.

Some guys can't wrap their minds around that. They just are naturally unable to adapt to the kind of corporate control atmosphere of the NFL. Violate a substance abuse policy that has more clauses in it than the IRS Code and blam! "You left the state without notifying the NFL."

I have lots of clients who have done stupid things like miss a court hearing. Personally, I can't imagine blowing off something like that, but untold thousands of people do it all the time.

In college the control of coaches and the University just revolved around the game. But, in the NFL it involves all aspects of your life. ALL aspects. If you get a divorce, it's front page news in the Denver Post. If you get a speeding ticket, tens of thousands of people are spouting off about what a turd you are.

Life in the goldfish bowl that is the NFL isn't easy and some people have trouble adapting.

Von is just an absent minded kid who doesn't realize than in the NFL this stuff is taken seriously with a capital S.

Earendil
09-17-2013, 06:05 PM
If it helps keep him on the field, I say it's a good move. Fortunately the defense has been playing well without him, they'll be that much better when he and Champ get back.