PDA

View Full Version : Is Manning Bowl a Trap Game for Us?

Joel
09-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Think about it: We just shelled the defending Super Bowl champs on national TV, with our stadium draped in pics of their QB, and erased some of the shame of having them end our 2012 season.

The Giants, on the other hand, were just humilated on national TV, losing the ball SIX times, and consequently the game against a divisional rival.

Even before last week few considered a team that couldn't even win its division better than the defending champs (I happen to disagree, but we all know what my opinion's worth.)

Sounds like a classic trap scenario: The perception is a great team just stomped another great team, while an also ran just exploded on the launchpad against another also ran, so the great one would naturally be tempted to rest on its laurels a bit against the mediocre one—opening the door to an upset. If we show up we should win, but we have last January to remind us what happens when we don't show. Go, coaches. ;)

BroncoWave
09-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Trap games happen to poorly coached teams. I do not think we are a poorly coached team. So to answer your question, no.

SR
09-14-2013, 12:39 PM
What?

Davii
09-14-2013, 12:42 PM
I don't think there's a person anywhere that considers this game a gimme, an "easy" game, a "guaranteed win", or anything similar. Therefore, no, this is not something that could be considered a "trap" game.

The Giants are a good team, we're playing in their house, and they will be even more motivated to win as they were narrowly defeated after SIX turnovers last week. This is anything but a "trap" game. Give the Giants their due, I guarantee the coaches and players are.

Simple Jaded
09-14-2013, 12:43 PM
A trap game implies that Denver has no business losing to NY.

Slick
09-14-2013, 01:52 PM
No. Peyton is going against his little brother. I doubt he is taking it lightly.

Army Bronco
09-14-2013, 02:55 PM
WTF is a trap game?

Timmy!
09-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Thread fail.

Joel
09-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Trap games happen to poorly coached teams. I do not think we are a poorly coached team. So to answer your question, no.
Reckon we'll see; a well coached team wouldn't have lost to the Ravens last January.

I don't think there's a person anywhere that considers this game a gimme, an "easy" game, a "guaranteed win", or anything similar. Therefore, no, this is not something that could be considered a "trap" game.

The Giants are a good team, we're playing in their house, and they will be even more motivated to win as they were narrowly defeated after SIX turnovers last week. This is anything but a "trap" game. Give the Giants their due, I guarantee the coaches and players are.
I definitely give the Giants their due, and certainly hope our players and coaches do the same.

A trap game implies that Denver has no business losing to NY.
It doesn't, especially not if the Super Bowl favorite all the homers believe it to be. Champ and Miller or no Champ and Miller.

WTF is a trap game?
Pretty much what everyone referenced in denying that's our situation: A game where one team is so much better than their opponent, or thinks they are, that they phone it in, while the other knows they'll have to play their guts out to have a chance, and therefore does, resulting in an upset.

Kind of like when a banged up ancient Ravens team that barely won its division came to the home stadium of the AFCS #1 seed for a playoff game a month after we stomped them in their own house. No one but the players and coaches know what goes on in the locker room, much less their own heads, but that sure looked like a team phoning it in and looking ahead to the AFCCG vs. a team playing for its life, and that would explain a lot of why it went so differently than the matchup four weeks earlier. Much like when the AFCs #2 seed was one-and-done against a 2nd years expansion team in '96.

TXBRONC
09-14-2013, 04:43 PM
If you're trying to say the Giants are bad team you're sadly mistaken and if Denver loses to them then they lose to a very good football team.

underrated29
09-14-2013, 05:13 PM
We should rock them. I know we will score on them just fine. It's his big three receivers and Wilson that I am concerned about. I still suspect we win this game handily.

What I really suspect is that montee ball has a very big game....may not be stats wise but he is the right back to go against this team. I think he beasts it.

Skinny
09-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Naw. I just can't see us taking this game lightly.

Army Bronco
09-14-2013, 05:35 PM
I've never heard of the term "trap game" till I read it in these forums.

Skinny
09-14-2013, 05:45 PM
I've never heard of the term "trap game" till I read it in these forums.

It's a term used mostly in college football. I've never applied it to the NFL myself.

MOtorboat
09-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Hoping hard for a loss, Joel?

Joel
09-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Hoping hard for a loss, Joel?
Hope for the best, plan for the worst. The Giants aren't a bad team, but aren't nearly as good as everyone keeps saying we are; apparently we're the '72 Dolphins.

MOtorboat
09-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Hope for the best, plan for the worst. The Giants aren't a bad team, but aren't nearly as good as everyone keeps saying we are; apparently we're the '72 Dolphins.

Why?

You're not a coach.

DenBronx
09-14-2013, 06:54 PM
I expect the Giants to play very good this game. They don't want to be 0-2 and Eli I think wants to beat his older brother. The Giants are stacked talent wise on both sides of the ball. This game is going to be extremely tough for us.

Good teams find ways to beat other good teams. If this Denver team is a championship caliber team it will find a way to beat these Giants.

Someone mentioned in another thread the DRC should cover Cruz. Not the case, it will be Chris Harris going one on one with Cruz the whole game. Why? Because Harris is our best CB right now and he has shown zero signs of getting beat on a consistant basis. DRC will cover the other side of the field.

I see Decker having a bounce back game and catching a TD and Moreno doing well too. The Giants are going to be too concerned about Thomas/Thomas and Welker and that is going to leave other guys wide open.

Still, this is going to be a nail biter.

Joel
09-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Why?

You're not a coach.
Because I don't want to set myself up for overconfident heartbreak; I hope the team is approaching things the same way, but have no guarantees.

Until/unless our running game gets traction we must rely on the fact teams can't cover everyone, especially with Peyton under center. That said, the Giants may have the best chance of covering everyone, because they can get pressure without blitzing; this game could be a baptism of fire for Manny Ramirez. The good news is we can cover almost everyone even without Champ; the bad news is we'll have to, because our pass rush is nothing like New Yorks, and probably won't be even if Miller can stay out of trouble long enough to play the last half of the season.

I'm really worried about how hungry the Giants will be for this game, and how overconfident the Broncos will be after curbstomping the defending champs.

Davii
09-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Because I don't want to set myself up for overconfident heartbreak; I hope the team is approaching things the same way, but have no guarantees.

Until/unless our running game gets traction we must rely on the fact teams can't cover everyone, especially with Peyton under center. That said, the Giants may have the best chance of covering everyone, because they can get pressure without blitzing; this game could be a baptism of fire for Manny Ramirez. The good news is we can cover almost everyone even without Champ; the bad news is we'll have to, because our pass rush is nothing like New Yorks, and probably won't be even if Miller can stay out of trouble long enough to play the last half of the season.

I'm really worried about how hungry the Giants will be for this game, and how overconfident the Broncos will be after curbstomping the defending champs.

Why would the Broncos be overconfident? They know damn well who's coming up. You act like a bunch of pros have no idea what is going on, like they think week 1 was the Super Bowl. Like our coaches think the season is over.

I mean, come on Joel, we're not playing the Jaguars this week, we're playing the Giants.

Oh, and I personally feel Ngata, Suggs, Dumervil, etc are a much bigger challenge than a rusty JPP, Jenkins, and Joseph.

There is not anyone in the Broncos organization looking past any team in week 2, much less a team such as the Giants in their house.

MOtorboat
09-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Why would the Broncos be overconfident? They know damn well who's coming up. You act like a bunch of pros have no idea what is going on, like they think week 1 was the Super Bowl. Like our coaches think the season is over.

I mean, come on Joel, we're not playing the Jaguars this week, we're playing the Giants.

Oh, and I personally feel Ngata, Suggs, Dumervil, etc are a much bigger challenge than a rusty JPP, Jenkins, and Joseph.

There is not anyone in the Broncos organization looking past any team in week 2, much less a team such as the Giants in their house.

Things would be different if Denver had a better quarterback.

SR
09-14-2013, 07:45 PM
I expect the Giants to play very good this game. They don't want to be 0-2 and Eli I think wants to beat his older brother. The Giants are stacked talent wise on both sides of the ball. This game is going to be extremely tough for us.

Good teams find ways to beat other good teams. If this Denver team is a championship caliber team it will find a way to beat these Giants.

Someone mentioned in another thread the DRC should cover Cruz. Not the case, it will be Chris Harris going one on one with Cruz the whole game. Why? Because Harris is our best CB right now and he has shown zero signs of getting beat on a consistant basis. DRC will cover the other side of the field.

I see Decker having a bounce back game and catching a TD and Moreno doing well too. The Giants are going to be too concerned about Thomas/Thomas and Welker and that is going to leave other guys wide open.

Still, this is going to be a nail biter.

I don't agree with your reasoning for Harris being on Cruz at all. And DRC is our "best" corner that's why he will be glued to Nicks the whole game. Harris will be on Cruz because Harris is a natural at the slot and that's where Cruz will be.

SR
09-14-2013, 07:46 PM

Manny Ramirez handled Ngata just fine. I'm not worried about the Giants front. At all. Our line will be fine. You need to calm down a little with the anti-broncos crap.

SR
09-14-2013, 07:46 PM

Add Tuck

SR
09-14-2013, 07:47 PM

I agree. If we had Eli or Matt Schaub we'd be GOLDEN

TXBRONC
09-14-2013, 07:56 PM

This sounds like complete waste of time. Only you could pull off being both paranoid and arrogant at the same time. You're worried that the Giants will be hungry that just dumb to worry about. Then your arrogance comes through in the next breath assuming Denver is overconfident because they won big against the defending champs. When did Elway and Fox start confiding in you?

HORSEPOWER 56
09-14-2013, 08:37 PM
I just can't classify this as a "trap" game. The Giants are a very good team and we're playing at their house. This won't be a "gimme" by any stretch and nobody is making it out to be from what I've seen. We can win if we bring our "A" game but its not going to be easy.

IMO, a trap game would be playing the Raiders on a Sunday with the Patriots on the following Thursday. The Raiders are usually so bad that we should win easily, but the team might be looking ahead to the bigger game on a short week. That's a "trap" game as far as I'm concerned.

DenBronx
09-14-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't agree with your reasoning for Harris being on Cruz at all. And DRC is our "best" corner that's why he will be glued to Nicks the whole game. Harris will be on Cruz because Harris is a natural at the slot and that's where Cruz will be.

Sorry, not true at all.

And Cruz is a better WR than Nicks, plus more reliable.

Harris can play all DB positions, DRC is better suited to play flankers or taller WRs. I was very impressed with DRC last game though.

Az Snake
09-14-2013, 09:28 PM

My only concern for this game is that the Broncos may not have had optimum practice conditions this week.
The weather is Denver has been poor, good thing Denver had those extra days after the Thursday opener.

Denver goes into Meadowsland Stadium in New Jersey and stomps the New York Football Giants !!!

Nomad
09-14-2013, 10:05 PM
I don't believe in trap games.

Simple Jaded
09-14-2013, 10:05 PM
You guys just tell Joel how bad the Broncos ****** up by not adhering to a rebuilding plan so he can have his little pity party.

The Broncos suck at everything, shoulda spent the $98 mil somewhere else, blah, blah blah.

TXBRONC
09-14-2013, 10:35 PM
You guys just tell Joel how bad the Broncos ****** up by not adhering to a rebuilding plan so he can have his little pity party.

The Broncos suck at everything, shoulda spent the $98 mil somewhere else, blah, blah blah.

It's not just any building plan but Joel's building plan. If Denver had just done things Joel's obviously Denver would have already won the Super Bowl.

Broncolingus
09-14-2013, 11:40 PM
No, I don't think Denver's 'looking past' the Giants...they're too good a team.

JMO...

dogfish
09-15-2013, 02:25 AM
WTF is a trap game?

it's a stupid, ****tarded term that should be set on fire, and banned from the interwebs forever. . .

stop being an idiot! quarterbacks are only good for handing off. . . middle linebackers decide football games. . .

Simple Jaded
09-15-2013, 02:36 AM
It's not just any building plan but Joel's building plan. If Denver had just done things Joel's obviously Denver would have already won the Super Bowl.

I've been as guilty of that as anybody, I just find it hard to believe that anybody could object to the path the Broncos have taken.

Mr Bojangles
09-15-2013, 06:56 AM

This is the most important point, among a lot of other good points you've raised.

I don't know that Denver will be, or more importantly, needs to be, overconfident in order for NY to beat them at home.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-15-2013, 07:53 AM

My only concern for this game is that the Broncos may not have had optimum practice conditions this week.
The weather is Denver has been poor, good thing Denver had those extra days after the Thursday opener.

Denver goes into Meadowsland Stadium in New Jersey and stomps the New York Football Giants !!!

Practice conditions don't concern me as much as the time between games. A long layoff can sometimes be detrimental too. Feels like its been forever since the Ravens game.

TXBRONC
09-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Practice conditions don't concern me as much as the time between games. A long layoff can sometimes be detrimental too. Feels like its been forever since the Ravens game.

I know it's been 10 days since they last played but it just like it's been that long to me.

Chef Zambini
09-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Reckon we'll see; a well coached team wouldn't have lost to the Ravens last January.

I definitely give the Giants their due, and certainly hope our players and coaches do the same.

It doesn't, especially not if the Super Bowl favorite all the homers believe it to be. Champ and Miller or no Champ and Miller.

Pretty much what everyone referenced in denying that's our situation: A game where one team is so much better than their opponent, or thinks they are, that they phone it in, while the other knows they'll have to play their guts out to have a chance, and therefore does, resulting in an upset.

Kind of like when a banged up ancient Ravens team that barely won its division came to the home stadium of the AFCS #1 seed for a playoff game a month after we stomped them in their own house. No one but the players and coaches know what goes on in the locker room, much less their own heads, but that sure looked like a team phoning it in and looking ahead to the AFCCG vs. a team playing for its life, and that would explain a lot of why it went so differently than the matchup four weeks earlier. Much like when the AFCs #2 seed was one-and-done against a 2nd years expansion team in '96.Joel, did you deliberatly overlook the most important refute of your trap game scenario/
its manning versus manning !
, you really think PFM is going to take this game lightly?
or allow his teammates to take it lightly?
besides, a trap game is a match -up with an inferior opponent sandwiched in between two superior opponents.
who do we play AFTER the Giants..... I rest my case.
sorry, Joel, I like you alot, agree with you most of the time, but its ludicrous to suggest that any member of the bronco org, is taking this game lightly !
its the freakin meadowlands!
do you actually think JFE is going to allow his team to take it lightly?
this VENUE is the greatest defender JFE ever faced !

BroncoWave
09-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Given that we beat every single lesser team we played last season, I'm not sure how anyone could think the Broncos would fall into a "trap game" anyway.

Joel
09-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Well, guess that answers that. In the first half it didn't look like anyone but Moreno and the D came to play, but we turned on it in the second half just like last week. If we ever learn how to START games that well we'll be unstoppable.

weazel
09-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Manning doesnt have trap games

DenBronx
09-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Manning IS the trap game.

BroncoWave
09-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Yeah, huge trap game. :lol:

wayninja
09-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Am I too late to post a picture of Admiral Ackbar?

SR
09-15-2013, 08:06 PM

wayninja
09-15-2013, 08:14 PM

Out of date

SR
09-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Out of date

No.

wayninja
09-15-2013, 08:53 PM
No.

Considering it's now Owen 3.... Yes.

BroncoWave
09-15-2013, 08:56 PM

I think it was in reference to the Giants current record this season.

Nomad
09-15-2013, 08:58 PM

I've never seen this.....funny.

SR
09-15-2013, 09:00 PM

The Giants are Owen 2...

wayninja
09-15-2013, 09:36 PM
The Giants are Owen 2...

Eli is Owen 3 vs Peyton... I guess it all just depends on how you take the joke...

I guess since I don't know when that was made, I'm probably wrong.

Joker56
09-15-2013, 09:55 PM
I was simply afraid of this game i said 12-4 before season started.. and this game was my first concern...
but ...
but....
damn ....
The Broncos are not playing "Perfect Football" or along that line...
but ...
Damn...
if they keep playing like this
just maybe..
Maybe ..
Never know... 16-0 ????

MOtorboat
09-15-2013, 09:56 PM
I was simply afraid of this game i said 12-4 before season started.. and this game was my first concern...
but ...
but....
damn ....
The Broncos are not playing "Perfect Football" or along that line...
but ...
Damn...
if they keep playing like this
just maybe..
Maybe ..
Never know... 16-0 ????

Unjinx the jinx.

BroncoWave
09-15-2013, 09:57 PM
2-14. Book it.