PDA

View Full Version : Nate Jackson Book Excerpt

rationalfan
09-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Wow. Captivating read about his time in Denver, the injuries, the meds, Shanahan (in a good light), etc.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/13/nate-jackson-slow-getting-up-book-excerpt/

slim
09-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Except what?

elsid13
09-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Nasty Nate does do a good job writing about his experience.

slim
09-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Holy cow, that was awesome.

claymore
09-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Good read. I love the dislike of McDaniels. I still hate that phag SO much.

rationalfan
09-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Except what?

except the r.

GEM
09-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Just put this on hold at the library. Looks fantastic!

MasterShake
09-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Really interesting stuff. Might have to check that out.

Dreadnought
09-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Good read. I love the dislike of McDaniels. I still hate that phag SO much.

All sound men do, Clay.

Dream hated Nate Jackson IIR. One of the old mania folks might be able to enlighten us, but IIR there was a story that Nate Jackson had actually logged into Mania just to take Dream to the woodshed

Buff
09-13-2013, 03:45 PM
All sound men do, Clay.

Dream hated Nate Jackson IIR. One of the old mania folks might be able to enlighten us, but IIR there was a story that Nate Jackson had actually logged into Mania just to take Dream to the woodshed

Yes, the link is still floating around somewhere. Dream started a thread advocating that we cut Jackson, and Jackson took exception to that.

The book excerpt was superb. I was sort of wondering whether a backup TEs story would be interesting, but I am intrigued.

rationalfan
09-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Yes, the link is still floating around somewhere. Dream started a thread advocating that we cut Jackson, and Jackson took exception to that.

that is awesome. i'd love to see the link. how was jackson able to verify that he was jackson?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-13-2013, 03:56 PM

The book excerpt was superb. I was sort of wondering whether a backup TEs story would be interesting, but I am intrigued.

I read it a couple of years ago. It was freaking hilarious. He did in fact take him to the woodshed. :laugh:

slim
09-13-2013, 04:04 PM
that is awesome. i'd love to see the link. how was jackson able to verify that he was jackson?

That would be my question as well.

I doubt any NFL players read the crap we post. I'm not sure why they would.

elsid13
09-13-2013, 04:13 PM

You would be surprised. The Broncos media staff monitor the Bronco Message boards and print out stuff for Bowlen and Shanny (when he was in Denver) to read. We got in trouble on Mane when we were making fun of Pat and they pulled the press pass they gave some of posters to report on training camp a couple of years ago because of it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-13-2013, 04:19 PM

Dominique Foxworth posted once or twice as well.

Keep in mind, Nate Jackson is not your typical dude.

That's another reason I'm somewhat careful about how I critique players. I try not to be too insulting, unless it's that freaking Travis Henry guy. What a douche.

NightTrainLayne
09-13-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm going to have to get a copy of this book. Looks like a great read.

I used to always have Nate Jackson returning punts in Madden. Now I feel bad because he got tired of having to do everything. :D

Buff
09-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Here is the infamous Dream/Nate Jackson thread link - http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?98305-The-quot-Release-Nate-Jackson-quot-Movement&highlight=nate%20jackson

rationalfan
09-13-2013, 04:33 PM
i'm not convinced that was actually nate jackson, but i love any comment using a facts of life reference in a comeback. classic.

Buff
09-13-2013, 04:35 PM
i'm not convinced that was actually nate jackson, but i love any comment using a facts of life reference in a comeback. classic.

Yeah, I have no idea if was actually him. But given that the guy only ever had 2 posts, and the strong writing + subject matter, it seems totally plausible.

Nomad
09-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Natemania was his biggest fan. Did he mention her:lol:?

HORSEPOWER 56
09-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Here is the infamous Dream/Nate Jackson thread link - http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?98305-The-quot-Release-Nate-Jackson-quot-Movement&highlight=nate%20jackson

Ah, the memories! Too funny. It's funny looking back over 6 years to see some of us post in that thread. Dog, GEM, Skinny, Ravage, and me all posted in that thread.

Poet
09-13-2013, 09:33 PM
I might buy this book?

BroncoWave
09-13-2013, 09:35 PM

There actually are some who do. Chris Kluwe (former Vikings punter) is very active on the NFL section of Reddit. I've even interacted with him a time or two on there. It's not unrealistic that some guys might want to check out what fans say about them on the internet.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-13-2013, 09:44 PM
I just bumped it. :D

SR
09-13-2013, 09:48 PM
That thread was fuggin hilarious. Dream sure didn't have shit to say after that.

SR
09-13-2013, 09:49 PM
I just bumped it. :D

Awwww cute

Poet
09-13-2013, 09:50 PM
There was something about two geniuses or something?

Simple Jaded
09-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Dream was right, Nasty Nate sucked.

Simple Jaded
09-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Shit, still banned.

Dzone
09-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Awesome. Thanks. Cant wait to read the book

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Shit, still banned.

What was your username over there?

dogfish
09-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Ah, the memories! Too funny. It's funny looking back over 6 years to see some of us post in that thread. Dog, GEM, Skinny, Ravage, and me all posted in that thread.

What was your username over there?

he was stnzed. . . also, giveemlove was GEM, columbiaskinny was skinny, and LDB was mike. . .

WAbronco and bigbronclove were great posters, wish those guys were still around. . .

also, i can't belive they found a way to make that site look like an even bigger steaming pile of horse shit. . . embarrassing. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-14-2013, 12:39 AM
I remember stnzed. I knew who Gem was. Its funny looking through that thread. Almost everyone in it is banned.

Simple Jaded
09-14-2013, 12:41 AM
They completely changed that site since I last been there, it is by far the worst MB layout I've ever seen. I bet it makes ya wish they still had the shitty white abomination.

Broncolingus
09-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Wow. Captivating read about his time in Denver, the injuries, the meds, Shanahan (in a good light), etc.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/13/nate-jackson-slow-getting-up-book-excerpt/

Thx, Fan...interesting read.

Sort of a modern North-Dallas-Forty (still a great book) type story...

silkamilkamonico
09-15-2013, 01:56 AM
dream was right jackson should have been cut.

greatwriter though. missed his calling. much better writer than football player.

Dapper Dan
09-15-2013, 02:08 AM
Such a gay website. Interesting thread doe. Funny to see you guys in yesteryears.

sneakers
09-15-2013, 06:42 AM
There i bumped the thread

Chef Zambini
09-15-2013, 08:19 AM
thanks great excerpt, he obviously has a great editor, the writing flowed .

Bosco
09-16-2013, 02:44 AM
I'll have to pick this one up.

Mike
09-16-2013, 08:37 AM

I forgot all about that board...takes me back. Used to be a good board. I didn't think it could get worse than the white board, until I saw that new thing. That is really bad.

LawDog
09-16-2013, 02:40 PM
That was the first time I have gone back to that board since about a week after AZ dragged me over here. And, I could have gone without going back this time...

Thanks again Tned et.al.

LawDog
09-16-2013, 02:55 PM
As for the book excerpt, the part about the Cowboys pulling crap in the preseason reminds me of a certain team in the northwest coached by a gum-munching adderall addict...

DenBronx
09-16-2013, 05:16 PM

Wow Buff, taking it way back in the day.

Dream was a dooshschnozzle.

DenBronx
09-16-2013, 05:20 PM
dream was right jackson should have been cut.

greatwriter though. missed his calling. much better writer than football player.

Nate was injury prone but Shanny always liked him for some reason. I always thought Nate should have been cut but after Dream went in a rant about him getting cut I started pulling for Nate to make the team each year.....just out of spite.

His mock drafts always sucked and was never right about free agents. Glad he doesnt post anymore.

BroncoWave
09-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Nate was injury prone but Shanny always liked him for some reason. I always thought Nate should have been cut but after Dream went in a rant about him getting cut I started pulling for Nate to make the team each year.....just out of spite.

His mock drafts always sucked and was never right about free agents. Glad he doesnt post anymore.

Well he doesn't post anymore because he was permabanned from here.

Dreadnought
09-17-2013, 12:02 PM

I think Nate Jackson was a guy whose body betrayed him. That's not like a moral failing or a matter of Will or anything, and clearly the guy is bright and busted his hump doing the things he needed to do. Probably why Shanny like him. Whether he was any good or not we'll never know, because he got hurt year after year. To say he "sucked" back in that thread was pretty much the perfect definition of ignorant dumbassery. In '08 I think he won a starting spot in camp then promptly tore hamstring muscles yet again. Them's the breaks, and it was the last straw for Jackson's career, but its nothing like proof he "sucked".

elsid13
09-17-2013, 03:05 PM
It's interesting that no one is talking about him using HGH to attempt to play again. I bet there a hell of lot of players that using it just to keep their bodies going and earning pay check.

Bosco
09-17-2013, 06:04 PM
I think Nate Jackson was a guy whose body betrayed him. That's not like a moral failing or a matter of Will or anything, and clearly the guy is bright and busted his hump doing the things he needed to do. Probably why Shanny like him. Whether he was any good or not we'll never know, because he got hurt year after year. To say he "sucked" back in that thread was pretty much the perfect definition of ignorant dumbassery. In '08 I think he won a starting spot in camp then promptly tore hamstring muscles yet again. Them's the breaks, and it was the last straw for Jackson's career, but its nothing like proof he "sucked".

Agreed completely.

rationalfan
09-20-2013, 11:32 AM
It's interesting that no one is talking about him using HGH to attempt to play again. I bet there a hell of lot of players that using it just to keep their bodies going and earning pay check.

actually, i just read the book and he said he's never seen anyone in the NFL use HGH. he didn't use it until after he was cut by the broncos, and got it via some clandestine ways.

the book is very good. among the most striking things to me, is how good it makes shanahan looks. granted, jackson had a strong connection to the guy (through bill walsh), but when you contrast shanahan's methods to eric mangini's (jackson was in training camp with the browns) you realize why shanahan was so damn successful for so many years. you also get an idea, through the mangini stuff, why exactly McD failed.

i recommend the book for anyone here. very good read.

elsid13
09-21-2013, 06:41 AM
actually, i just read the book and he said he's never seen anyone in the NFL use HGH. he didn't use it until after he was cut by the broncos, and got it via some clandestine ways.

the book is very good. among the most striking things to me, is how good it makes shanahan looks. granted, jackson had a strong connection to the guy (through bill walsh), but when you contrast shanahan's methods to eric mangini's (jackson was in training camp with the browns) you realize why shanahan was so damn successful for so many years. you also get an idea, through the mangini stuff, why exactly McD failed.

i recommend the book for anyone here. very good read.

Thanks.

Simple Jaded
09-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Nate Jackson was part of Shanatan's never ending attempt to recreate Shannon Sharpe, he's somewhere slightly above Muneer Moore and Curtis Alexander in failed developmental projects. Shanatan kept Jackson around because of Shanatan's ego.