PDA

View Full Version : Migrating to new server 9/16 -- server will be down part of the day

Tned
09-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi, after the lack of support when the server was compromised last week, I'm moving to a more expensive, but more "managed support" centric data center. While normally I only make these moves during the offseason, in this case, after what just happened, the the fact that I will be traveling on business nearly every week between now and November 1st, including 15 days in Germany with large windows of time where I will be completely unavailable, I don't feel comfortable with the support at the data center where the BroncosForums server is currently located.

My plan is to get the new server online and completely setup over the weekend, with all of the security hardening and all that stuff. And then sometime Monday AM (probably not super early like normal, because I will be working until after midnight Sunday night), I will take BroncosForums down, migrate all of the files and databases to the new server, change the DNS records, and bring it back online.

As things never go 100% as planned, I would anticipate up to 2 hours to move BroncosForums.com, and then in theory only 15-30 minutes after that you should start being directed to the new server. However, not all ISPs (internet providers) follow the DNS rules, so in some cases, if your ISP only updates their DNS information every 6, 12 or 24 hours, you could see longer downtimes.

I'll post further updates on this throughout the weekend.

UPDATE: I might hold off until Late Tuesday night/ early Monday AM to give us Monday to talk about the Sunday night game, but still have plenty of time to make sure all is sorted out before the evil Raiders invade Mile High.

I'm closing this thread, but to ask any questions, please visit the thread in Town Hall discussing this server move: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/555278-Migrating-to-new-server-9-16-server-will-be-down-part-of-the-day

Tned
09-13-2013, 12:47 PM
See update at bottom of the original post for change to timing.

Tned
09-16-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm copying old backups and other files from the current server to the new server. In theory, it could create some slight slowdown while all the data is copying. However, I don't think you will actually notice anything.

Assuming all goes well, including my testing, I will move to the new server early tomorrow morning. If not, I will do it early Wednesday morning.

More updates to follow.

Tned
09-17-2013, 01:56 AM
For anyone still online, I'm running a test migration. If the test goes well, I will probably move it to the new server within the next hour. If I encounter any problems, i'm going to get a few hours, and sort them out in the morning and then migrate around 10:00 tomorrow morning (I have some work stuff I will need to do first thing).

Tned
09-17-2013, 03:11 AM
Ok, I'm still working with support to try and adjust a few more settings on the new server. I'm going to grab 2.5 hours sleep, then have a few hours of work I have to do, then will come back to the migration.

Tned
09-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Ok, I'm doing some final testing, but all looks good and I will probably make BF read only in about 30 minutes and make the move.