PDA

View Full Version : Is It Time to Think About Trading Von Miller? - Brandon Spano

DenBronx
09-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Not my idea but figured it was worth discussion.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any backlash in this thread.

The boy wonder is at it again, Von Miller was cited for driving without a license and speeding last week when driving with his father, Von Sr. Hours after that story came out, another was released stating that Von actually had a warrant in California as well.

After Broncos country tossed and turned on the interwebs about it for a solid few hours, Vic Lombardi from CBS4 in Denver tweeted that Von in fact did not have a warrant.

USA Today took a crack at it this morning and found out that he apparently has an unpaid traffic ticket out there but not a warrant. Either way, this is just getting stupid now.

Unlike his last run-in with the law, Miller was not arrested for the driving with no license infraction. Luckily, his father was given permission by the police to drive away with the vehicle. Miller had no license and his father did, yet Von was the one driving? Is he pushing his limits or does he not really care about the millions of dollars he’s due to earn if he just keeps his nose clean and continues to play Von Miller football?

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://www.brandonspano.com/News-and-Notes.html?entry=is-it-time-to-cut

BroncoWave
09-12-2013, 09:02 PM
No.

Next...

MOtorboat
09-12-2013, 09:02 PM
No.

DenBronx
09-12-2013, 09:07 PM
I think Spanos thinking is we would get a couple 1st rounder plus not have to worry about paying Miller a huge deal.

I wouldnt do it either. Miller is a rare talent and deffinitely worth the risk.

MOtorboat
09-12-2013, 09:08 PM
I think Spanos thinking is we would get a couple 1st rounder plus not have to worry about paying Miller a huge deal.

But Denver won't get 2 first rounders for him.

Davii
09-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Definitely not.

BroncoWave
09-12-2013, 09:12 PM
But Denver won't get 2 first rounders for him.

Yeah, even if we did want to trade him this would be the worst time to do it. His value is about as low as it will ever be right now. And even given all the stupid shit he's done, it's not enough to trade a top 2 defensive player in the league.

Buff
09-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Only if Cleo Lemon is available.

BroncoNut
09-12-2013, 09:23 PM
it might be time to consider it. I'd trade him for Dumerville and a 3rd at this time.

DenBronx
09-12-2013, 09:27 PM
it might be time to consider it. I'd trade him for Dumerville and a 3rd at this time.

Id trade him for Clay Matthews but thats about it.

MOtorboat
09-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Id trade him for Clay Matthews but thats about it.

No thanks.

Dapper Dan
09-12-2013, 09:33 PM
I'd take about any trade if it came with nudes of Erin Andrews in hi-def.

SR
09-12-2013, 09:34 PM
About the only players in the NFL I would trade Miller for would be Aldon Smith or JJ Watt, but this isn't Madden.

Broncolingus
09-12-2013, 09:34 PM
No disrespect, Bronx, but no...final answer.

BroncoWave
09-12-2013, 09:35 PM
About the only players in the NFL I would trade Miller for would be Aldon Smith or JJ Watt, but this isn't Madden.

I wouldn't even trade him for Aldon Smith unless they threw in Justin Smith too. Aldon's production went in the crapper when Justin got hurt and couldn't hold o-linemen for him.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2013, 09:38 PM

My answer also

Broncolingus
09-12-2013, 09:55 PM
My answer also

...you're a wise woman, Carol...

TimHippo
09-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Miller has little trade value. He's a guy that is one failed drug test away from missing an entire season for the rest of his career. Nobody would give multiple high picks for such a player. The best you could get is probably a 2nd round pick but then it's not worth trading him.

7LEGEND7
09-12-2013, 10:15 PM
No. He paid it and there is not warrant. Even if there was, hell no!

Army Bronco
09-12-2013, 10:20 PM
No!!

jhildebrand
09-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Trade him if the player we can get can be moved to safety or we can draft two safeties.

DenBronx
09-12-2013, 10:34 PM

It was an article and Spanos idea. No disrespect taken.

Dapper Dan
09-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Buy Von a chauffeur and move him to safety.

spikerman
09-13-2013, 05:36 AM
I'm listening.

TXBRONC
09-13-2013, 06:11 AM
No.

Simple Jaded
09-13-2013, 06:40 AM
Miller has little trade value. He's a guy that is one failed drug test away from missing an entire season for the rest of his career. Nobody would give multiple high picks for such a player. The best you could get is probably a 2nd round pick but then it's not worth trading him.

Considering the Broncos can't trade an inactive player I'm assuming ya'll mean an offseason trade.

He's a guy who is cuurently 18 months from being out of the program all together, meaning he'll have approx a year left in the system at the time of the trade. Two years since his last infraction also coincides with the time Miller will be signing his second contract in the league.

Lets not pretend that the Broncos would be trying to trade Darrell Strawberry. Either way, you don't trade players like Von Miller.

TXBRONC
09-13-2013, 06:54 AM

I doubt we could get that for him.

TXBRONC
09-13-2013, 07:06 AM
It was an article and Spanos idea. No disrespect taken.

Spano isn't the only one that has floated this idea Kiszla also floated this dumbassery last week.

Northman
09-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Trade him today.

slim
09-13-2013, 08:00 AM
No.

gregbroncs
09-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Spano isn't the only one that has floated this idea Kiszla also floated this dumbassery last week.

Kizla said something similar to this in a radio interview here in SLC. He said they should consider the possibility. Or something close to that. And they need to decide how much they are going to put up with from him. He was really harsh on Von. I was surprised. It was my 1st time hearing the guy on the radio.

Dapper Dan
09-13-2013, 08:04 AM
If this were Madden, I'd get something out of Manning in a trade before he retired.

Dreadnought
09-13-2013, 08:04 AM
I'm listening.

Me too. We probably can't get enough to make it worthwhile, but...

Northman
09-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Me too. We probably can't get enough to make it worthwhile, but...

Same here. If the defense keeps playing like they did vs the Ravens (something i didnt think would happen) than im all ears.

BroncoWave
09-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Unless someone gives us something insane like JJ Watt or 3 first round picks, it would be insane to even entertain the thought of trading him. Despite all of his dumb shit, he is the second best if not the best defensive player in football. And he's 24. You don't just give up on that because of a couple of incidents. I'd rather take my chances on someone with his talent avoiding that 3rd strike than I would with unproven draft picks or a lesser player.

Northman
09-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Unless someone gives us something insane like JJ Watt or 3 first round picks, it would be insane to even entertain the thought of trading him. Despite all of his dumb shit, he is the second best if not the best defensive player in football. And he's 24. You don't just give up on that because of a couple of incidents. I'd rather take my chances on someone with his talent avoiding that 3rd strike than I would with unproven draft picks or a lesser player.

Well, unfortunately that didnt work out well for Brandon Marshall here either. Just depends on how much the John's are willing to put up with. Even DJ Williams got cut loose eventually because of stupid stuff.

TXBRONC
09-13-2013, 08:16 AM
Kizla said something similar to this in a radio interview here in SLC. He said they should consider the possibility. Or something close to that. And they need to decide how much they are going to put up with from him. He was really harsh on Von. I was surprised. It was my 1st time hearing the guy on the radio.

I'm not surprised Kiszla has been bitching about Osweiler as well. Broncos have a lot invested in Miller to just give up on him would be foolish.

LTC Pain
09-13-2013, 08:17 AM
I'm not surprised Kiszla has been bitching about Osweiler as well. Broncos have a lot invested in Miller to just give up on him would be foolish.

Kiszal is an idiot and not worth reading.

BroncoWave
09-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Well, unfortunately that didnt work out well for Brandon Marshall here either. Just depends on how much the John's are willing to put up with. Even DJ Williams got cut loose eventually because of stupid stuff.

Brandon Marshall isn't the best example for your case though since he seems to have turned things around in his life and has stayed out of trouble. And DJ didn't have near the talent of Von to justify putting up with his crap. Von is young and stupid. None of the stuff he does is violent or malicious. He will grow out of it. I would hope Elway has the patience to stick with him instead of panicking and getting poor value in a trade.

Northman
09-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Brandon Marshall isn't the best example for your case though since he seems to have turned things around in his life and has stayed out of trouble. And DJ didn't have near the talent of Von to justify putting up with his crap. Von is young and stupid. None of the stuff he does is violent or malicious. He will grow out of it. I would hope Elway has the patience to stick with him instead of panicking and getting poor value in a trade.

Maybe, but as Denver has already shown they were able to replace Marshall (or so it would seem as our passing game is fine) and defensively the team is playing pretty well without Von in the lineup. Like i said, depends on how much they want to put up with. With Manning, the window is small so having to wait for one of your more talented players to get his shit together is just wasting a roster spot when he isnt playing games.

slim
09-13-2013, 08:25 AM
You can't trade your best player unless you get market value in return.

Well, I guess you can, but that is a dangerous game.

TXBRONC
09-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Kiszal is an idiot and not worth reading.

There have been a few thing here and there that I have agreed with him on but for the most part I don't.

BroncoWave
09-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Maybe, but as Denver has already shown they were able to replace Marshall (or so it would seem as our passing game is fine) and defensively the team is playing pretty well without Von in the lineup. Like i said, depends on how much they want to put up with. With Manning, the window is small so having to wait for one of your more talented players to get his shit together is just wasting a roster spot when he isnt playing games.

And he'll be right back for week 7 and playing in the playoffs when it matters. If we survive the stretch without Von at 4-2 or 5-1, his loss will have had little to no impact. Hell it might be a good thing for us as he will be fresher for the playoff run.

Northman
09-13-2013, 08:28 AM
You can't trade your best player unless you get market value in return.

Well, I guess you can, but that is a dangerous game.

Maybe, but sometimes holding onto a player too long while he continues to F up hurts his value even more. Then you are just forced to cut him and get absolutely nothing. Its not a dangerous game but can be a risky one.

slim
09-13-2013, 08:28 AM
defensively the team is playing pretty well without Von in the lineup.

It was one game against an average offensive unit. Let's not get carried away.

Northman
09-13-2013, 08:29 AM
And he'll be right back for week 7 and playing in the playoffs when it matters. If we survive the stretch without Von at 4-2 or 5-1, his loss will have had little to no impact. Hell it might be a good thing for us as he will be fresher for the playoff run.

Thats of course he doesnt find his way into more trouble. If he does, what then?

Northman
09-13-2013, 08:31 AM

An average offensive unit that torched us last year in the playoffs and still managed to hang 27 points on the board. Yea, we didnt hold them to FG's but considering the loss of Doom and no Von that was impressive enough for me. Still a lot to play but im not going to short change the guys who are actually out there busting their ass for this organization.

BroncoWave
09-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Thats of course he doesnt find his way into more trouble. If he does, what then?

We'd look WAY dumber for giving him away then him never getting in trouble again and having a HoF career than we would look for sticking by him and him getting in trouble again. With a player as gifted as Von it's a chance you have to take. I would get where you were coming from if he were a violent criminal, but none of the stuff he has gotten in trouble for is THAT bad in the grand scheme of things. They are all stupid shit that tons of young people do and grow out of all the time.

BroncoWave
09-13-2013, 08:34 AM
An average offensive unit that torched us last year in the playoffs and still managed to hang 27 points on the board. Yea, we didnt hold them to FG's but considering the loss of Doom and no Von that was impressive enough for me. Still a lot to play but im not going to short change the guys who are actually out there busting their ass for this organization.

Except we didn't face the offensive unit that torched us in the playoffs last season. They were without Boldin, Pitta, and Jones. Flacco had literally no one to throw it to.

TXBRONC
09-13-2013, 08:37 AM

Let also not forget Denver didn't much pressure on Flacco until they started blitzing.

claymore
09-13-2013, 08:37 AM

Not to mention Phillips sacks came against a rookie backup RT. For all the dumb stuff Von has done, none of it has been malicious. If he stops smoking pot, hires a chauffeur, or learns how to pay his tickets its a non issue.

Im thinking in 2 months nobody will remember any of this. Von is a once in a decade talent. I wouldnt trade him for any less than 3 #1 draft picks. And thats not going to happen.

BroncoWave
09-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Not to mention Phillips sacks came against a rookie backup RT. For all the dumb stuff Von has done, none of it has been malicious. If he stops smoking pot, hires a chauffeur, or learns how to pay his tickets its a non issue.

Im thinking in 2 months nobody will remember any of this. Von is a once in a decade talent. I wouldnt trade him for any less than 3 #1 draft picks. And thats not going to happen.

Exactly. It's all stupid shit that millions of people his age do and eventually grow out of. Every report about him says he's not a bad or malicious guy, just that he isn't very mature. He can be mentored and grow out of this current phase. He would make us look really really stupid for a long long time if we just dumped him now.

LTC Pain
09-13-2013, 08:46 AM
So Von (24 years old) needs a Nanny???

TXBRONC
09-13-2013, 08:50 AM

It might take a little longer than that.

Northman
09-13-2013, 09:02 AM

Apparently.

claymore
09-13-2013, 09:26 AM

The problem with Von is that the fines for all these "micro" tickets are the equivelent of a couple bucks. It really doesnt mean anything to him. Hopefully his next offense he has to sit in jail for the weekend.

TXBRONC
09-13-2013, 10:08 AM
The problem with Von is that the fines for all these "micro" tickets are the equivelent of a couple bucks. It really doesnt mean anything to him. Hopefully his next offense he has to sit in jail for the weekend.

This is something that happened 18 months so that well before he was susupended. I think it was Cris Carter who said the thing that really gets a players attention is missing games. Hopefully it's having that effect on Miller.

claymore
09-13-2013, 10:33 AM
This is something that happened 18 months so that well before he was susupended. I think it was Cris Carter who said the thing that really gets a players attention is missing games. Hopefully it's having that effect on Miller.

I hope so too.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-13-2013, 10:49 AM
I suppose it's fun for journalists to throw out fodder like this, but at the end of the day, the Broncos do not need to be in any hurry to do anthing.

slim
09-13-2013, 11:11 AM

I hope so. I get a semi every time I watch him play.

claymore
09-13-2013, 11:30 AM
I hope so. I get a semi every time I watch him play.

This will all blow over. Ray Lewis killed someone and he is going to the HOF. Miller can get away with a few traffic citations and still be ok.

slim
09-13-2013, 11:39 AM
This will all blow over. Ray Lewis killed someone and he is going to the HOF. Miller can get away with a few traffic citations and still be ok.

As long as he can stay away from the bong. I'm not sure he can.

Northman
09-13-2013, 11:41 AM

Unless he gets worse and ends up like Thomas.

claymore
09-13-2013, 11:42 AM

Anyone that CANT stop smoking dope is a weak person. Id say soda is more addictive than pot.

camdisco24
09-13-2013, 11:43 AM
I think the solution to this problem is simple... Give von the Dez Bryant Treatment. Obviously, their issues are very different, but I'm sure the Broncos can afford to get Von a 24/7 security officer, and a driver. IMO, if you always have a watchful eye on the guy, these stupid mistakes go away. At least until he matures, Von needs something like this.

claymore
09-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Unless he gets worse and ends up like Thomas.

Well, then we wont have to worry about it!

slim
09-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Anyone that CANT stop smoking dope is a weak person. Id say soda is more addictive than pot.

I agree, which is why I don't really understand how he got himself in this position.

Maybe the suspension will wake him up, but he may not really care.

claymore
09-13-2013, 11:54 AM
I agree, which is why I don't really understand how he got himself in this position.

Maybe the suspension will wake him up, but he may not really care.

Miller is bad at passing piss tests. Thats really what he did wrong. Id say that the percentage of players that smoke is pretty high. No pun intended.

slim
09-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Miller is bad at passing piss tests. Thats really what he did wrong. Id say that the percentage of players that smoke is pretty high. No pun intended.

Yeah and now he will need to be tested 10 times a month for the rest of his career. :eek:

I hope he gets better at passing the tests.

claymore
09-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Yeah and now he will need to be tested 10 times a month for the rest of his career. :eek:

I hope he gets better at passing the tests.

Me too.

Simple Jaded
09-13-2013, 12:07 PM

Que Chronic to tell us about the many ways to smoke doobage...in 3...2...

slim
09-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Que Chronic to tell us about the many ways to smoke doobage...in 3...2...

He is on a time out. So you might want to start your countdown at 10,000

Simple Jaded
09-13-2013, 12:24 PM
He is on a time out. So you might want to start your countdown at 10,000

Aaaaaaand 10,000...9,999...

Joel
09-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Why would we trade him now, when his market value is probably lower that at any point since his first pro game, if not draft day? I don't get the "buy high, sell low" mentality that's so popular (not just in football.)

I have to admit, these two things in conjunction speak volumes of the NFL under Goodell, none of it positive. Apparently being suspected in and strongly implicated in two murders isn't enough to prevent someone making double digit Pro Bowls, making their retirement Super Bowl the feel good story of the season or being a first ballot HoFer, but if someone's suspected of getting high it's a crisis threatening the whole integrity and image of the sport. I guess the role model message to young fans is heroes can kill people over drugs (or nothing at all) as long as they committ a truly heinous crime by DOING them.

Note: That's not a "drugs are fine" argument, it's a "murder's at least as bad as drugs" argument. I can't help thinking that if Miller had a few more Pro Bowls and jersey sales the NFL would find a reason a failed recreational drug test didn't matter.

BroncoWave
09-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Why would we trade him now, when his market value is probably lower that at any point since his first pro game, if not draft day? I don't get the "buy high, sell low" mentality that's so popular (not just in football.)

I have to admit, these two things in conjunction speak volumes of the NFL under Goodell, none of it positive. Apparently being suspected in and strongly implicated in two murders isn't enough to prevent someone making double digit Pro Bowls, making their retirement Super Bowl the feel good story of the season or being a first ballot HoFer, but if someone's suspected of getting high it's a crisis threatening the whole integrity and image of the sport. I guess the role model message to young fans is heroes can kill people over drugs (or nothing at all) as long as they committ a truly heinous crime by DOING them.

Note: That's not a "drugs are fine" argument, it's a "murder's at least as bad as drugs" argument. I can't help thinking that if Miller had a few more Pro Bowls and jersey sales the NFL would find a reason a failed recreational drug test didn't matter.

For the record, Goodell wasn't commish when the Ray Lewis stuff went down, so I'm not really sure what he has to do with that.

WARHORSE
09-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Seems the severity of the crime or offense is not a determinate of future behavior.

Im more concerned about his response to the money that hes going to lose. If hes immature enough to blame the Broncos rather than the- (a hee hee) man in the mirror, then we will be sitting on pins and needles until he proves otherwise.

I agree though, that the man has not hurt anyone and his crimes are minute considering some others out there.

He will get a far longer rope to hang himself than the average NFL guy, because hes a virtual megastar with some added maturity.

People dont trade megastars unless theyre stomping their feet and pulling out their hair...........

Northman
09-14-2013, 04:25 AM
For the record, Goodell wasn't commish when the Ray Lewis stuff went down, so I'm not really sure what he has to do with that.

Exactly.

Joel
09-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Fair enough; I have trouble distinguishing between the current commissioner and his predecessor. The NFL hasn't had much of a commissioner since it lost Rozelle, IMHO. It often seems modern commissioners are mainly lightning rod figureheads, announcing and thereby drawing all criticism for each unanimous owners decision to screw players and/or fans for money (or PR, just another form of money.)

BroncoWave
09-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Goodell does seem to crack down on discipline way harder than Tagliabue did.

Simple Jaded
09-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Goodell does seem to crack down on discipline way harder than Tagliabue did.

Can you imagine the shitstorm the NFL would be in if they had all these issues and Goodell didn't have the reputation of a tyrant?

bigplug2
09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Hell no next subject...