PDA

View Full Version : Frank Tripucka, Broncos’ Ring of Famer and first quarterback, dies

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Frank Tripucka, the first quarterback in Broncos history, a Ring of Famer and the first player to have his number retired by the team, died this morning following a lengthy illness. He was 85.

Tripucka completed 10 of 15 passes in the Broncos’ first-ever game in 1960, a 13-10 vcitory against the Boston Patriots. Broncos general manager Bob Howsam, who later gained prominence in baseball as architect of Cincinnati’s Big Red Machine in the mid-1970s, retired Tripucka’s number 18 following the quarterback’s retirement in 1963. Floyd Little (44) and John Elway (7) are the only other Bronco players to have their numbers retired.

Tripucka gave his blessing to surrender his No. 18 to Peyton Manning after the Broncos signed the star quarterback prior to last season. The Broncos had been working in the last couple weeks to set up a meeting between their current quarterback and original quarterback this Saturday in northern New Jersey, where Tripucka lived. The Broncos are playing the New York Giants in New Jersey this Sunday.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/09/12/frank-tripucka-broncos-ring-of-famer-and-first-quarterback-dies/21562/

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2013, 01:51 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver's original No. 18 -- the man for whom the Broncos retired the number -- passed away at age 85.

The Broncos' first quarterback, Frank Tripucka, died Thursday morning in Woodland Park, N.J.

“Frank will always hold a very special place in Broncos history for what he meant to this organization and community," the Broncos said in a statement.

Tripucka helped lay the foundation from the earliest days of the Broncos -- he originally came to Denver to coach alongside Head Coach Frank Filchock. But he was also the Broncos' best option at signal caller, and ended up as the team's starting quarterback.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-First-QB-Tripucka-Passes-Away/fa9406c8-26fd-4dee-aba0-3b492e82eb07

The Glue Factory
09-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Funny thing is that he didn't know his number had been retired when he was contacted last year about allowing Manning to wear it.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Funny thing is that he didn't know his number had been retired when he was contacted last year about allowing Manning to wear it.

That is something I have ever heard or read. In fact, the following indicates he knew it was.

After talking personally with Frank Tripucka in the last half hour or so, new Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning will wear No. 18 in Denver.

The number had been retired since Tripucka retired in 1963.

“It’s perfectly OK for him to go ahead and use it,’’ Frank Tripucka said last week from his New Jersey home. “I would be honored to have him wear it.’’

AND

“It’s been retired for 50 years,’’ Tripucka said. “That’s long enough.’’

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/03/20/peyton-manning-wear-18-broncos/12674/

BroncoNut
09-12-2013, 02:10 PM
RIP Frank.

and thanks for the memories

Northman
09-12-2013, 02:12 PM
RIP brother.

The Glue Factory
09-12-2013, 02:14 PM
That is something I have ever heard or read. In fact, the following indicates he knew it was.

AND

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/03/20/peyton-manning-wear-18-broncos/12674/

I'm positive I heard a news report last year say he didn't know it was retired. Maybe he mentioned he was surprised that it was and I assumed it meant he didn't know.

BroncoNut
09-12-2013, 02:14 PM
well, he lived what seems to me to be a nice long life. only know of him through football though, of course.

Skinny
09-12-2013, 02:43 PM
R.I.P brother Frank.

BroncoNut
09-12-2013, 03:17 PM
my fondest memory of frank is when I was a kid, I used to call him Frank Tapioca. Parents and other adults thought that was so adorable

Jaws
09-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Rest in Peace Frank :salute:

Magnificent Seven
09-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Rest In Peace, Frank Tripucka

Denver Native (Carol)
09-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Denver Broncos ‏@DenverBroncos 3h

#Broncos QBs honor the original Broncos QB, Frank Tripucka, whose photo proudly hangs in the QB mtg. room: pic.twitter.com/Dt92rZKBxX

Denver Native (Carol)
09-16-2013, 07:29 PM
On Thursday of last week, the Broncos’ first quarterback, Frank Tripucka passed away in New Jersey. When the Broncos traveled to play the New York Giants this weekend, the current quarterback was able to meet with some of the Tripucka family.

“I had a good visit with three of his sons and their wives,” Peyton Manning said after Sunday’s game. “It was a good meeting. I was explaining to them that in our quarterback room, we have a picture of their father. In our quarterback room, we have certain former quarterbacks that we have pictures of in our quarterback meeting room, and he was one of them. It was an honor to wear his number. I had a good meeting with three of his sons. They said their dad would have been proud.”

Manning was scheduled to meet with Tripucka while the team was in New Jersey.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Meets-with-Tripucka-Family/0af5e8d6-0453-4679-8c3b-12926c61eb43

Broncolingus
09-16-2013, 09:32 PM
RIP to a great man in Bronco's lore...