PDA

View Full Version : Upon Further Review- Week 1

Ziggy
09-12-2013, 03:18 AM
So once again, I watched the game in it's entirety as I'm prone to do during the regular season. Here are some observations that I came away with:

1. Julius Thomas is a stud receiver. He's a horrible blocker. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the sidelines some when Dreesen gets back. He's a great target, but caused Manning to take 1 sack and at least 2 other hits. I expect the Broncos to stay with the 3 WR set in the base offense. There are going to be times when Dreesen's blocking will be more important than having another target out there.

2. Other than 2 low snaps, Manny Ramirez played a great game. Early on he was getting to the second level and looked a bit lost on who to block. As the game went on he became more and more comfortable and settled in well.

3. Welker and Manning are still not in synch. Don't let the 9 receptions fool you. There were some plays left on the field. When they do get in synch, watch out.

4. Montee Ball is the future workhorse in this offense. The Broncos took a back by committee approach to this game......until it was time to run the clock out. Once it was time to put the game away, Ball was the only back to see the field. I suspect that when his pass blocking improves, he will get the lion's share of playing time amongst backs.

5. Louis Vasquez is a stud pass blocker. You can see why Elway made signing him his first priority in free agency.

6. Eric Decker may have had the worst game of his career. 2 catches, 3 drops. One of his drops would have been a TD, and one of his 2 receptions ended in a fumble. I expect him to have a big game against the Giants this week.

7. Vickerson and Knighton are not going to be run on when they are on the field together. Teams may run around them, but they won't run on them. Those two were clogging up the middle of the line of scrimmage all night long. While they weren't creating much of a pass rush, they also weren't allowing any holes to run through.

8. Tony Carter continues to play the role of Jeckyl and Hyde. There are plays where he looks like an all pro and plays where he looks lost.

9. DRC is back to being one of the best cover corners in the NFL. I realize that he was playing against sub par talent as a whole, but when the Broncos left him in man to man coverage his receiver disappeared from the game. Can't wait to see him, Champ, and Harris all at full strength on field together.

10. Duke is who we thought he was. He was all over the field. I expect some big plays out of him this season. The kid closes like Paulamalu.

11. Shawn Phillips is far from finished. He just may carry this pass rush until Von gets back. I loves what I saw out of him out there.

12. I have no clue how teams are going to stop the Broncos offense. The Giants will be a good test, because the only way to stop this team is to get pressure with a 4 man rush. Then again, that may not even be enough. I stated before the season started that 35 points/game out of this offense wasn't unrealistic. I may have to raise my expectations.

aulaza
09-12-2013, 04:31 AM
Yeah I would agree with all of that - although Thomas did show up with a few good blocks - but yes his pass blocking for the majority was not great.

I am in the middle of going over the game again, and Ive just watched the first ravens td (leach reception). I've realised something - we only have 10 men on the field!! Am I going crazy? Have I missed something? Because Ive looked on the coaches film and I can only see 10. Nobody mentioned it at the time and I haven't seen anyone mention it after. Ill prob put my other thoughts on here when Ive finished, but I thought this was amazing that nobody had mentioned it!?!

Skinny
09-12-2013, 06:36 AM
Totally agree on Vasquez, he IS a stud pass blocker. Came away very impressed with him there. He gets sets so quick, gains leverage, and uses his hands and strength to keep guys off him and from having any chance of creating any kind of pressure on Manning. He made it look so easy. Hopefully his run blocking will get on the same level as the season goes along. But that position upgrade with Louis looks to be money well spent and a great move by Elway & Co.

Simple Jaded
09-12-2013, 08:43 AM
JT had a couple nice blocks, the chip on Suggs and he had a play where he slide and mirrored Doom perfectly.

Ziggy
09-12-2013, 09:06 AM
JT had a couple nice blocks, the chip on Suggs and he had a play where he slide and mirrored Doom perfectly.

He did have a couple of nice blocks. He also missed several. At some point the Broncos are going to have to weigh keeping Manning healthy vs. having another stud receiver on the field. This team needs Dreesens blocking. Then again, you can't take Thomas out of the game plan. Should be interesting when they have the option full time. Anyone else notice Tamme playing FB on the next to last drive?

TXBRONC
09-12-2013, 09:10 AM
There are couple of things I differ with you on.

First of all, I loved what J. Thomas I wouldn't call him a stud just. Yes he has improve his blocking but I wouldn't he was horrible because he did have couple good blocking.

Second Phillips definitely a good pick up but I wouldn't saying he's carrying the pass rush because the defense didn't really get much pressure until Del Rio started blitzing.

Other than that, I would say you're spot on.

Simple Jaded
09-12-2013, 09:11 AM
He did have a couple of nice blocks. He also missed several. At some point the Broncos are going to have to weigh keeping Manning healthy vs. having another stud receiver on the field. This team needs Dreesens blocking. Then again, you can't take Thomas out of the game plan. Should be interesting when they have the option full time. Anyone else notice Tamme playing FB on the next to last drive?
I think any TE is gonna have a field day as long as Deck, DT and Welker are on the field. Dreessen is the most complete TE they have.

aulaza
09-12-2013, 09:25 AM
The first play of the 2nd half - where Dumervil beat J.Thomas for a sack - he should never be left one on one in that situation. Franklin should been more aware and helped Thomas much earlier, as Vasquez was fine inside him. Clearly his pass blocking needs work, but that was tough for him. Also, Virgil Green wasn't all that impressive in his pass blocking.

BroncoWave
09-12-2013, 09:31 AM
The first play of the 2nd half - where Dumervil beat J.Thomas for a sack - he should never be left one on one in that situation. Franklin should been more aware and helped Thomas much earlier, as Vasquez was fine inside him. Clearly his pass blocking needs work, but that was tough for him. Also, Virgil Green wasn't all that impressive in his pass blocking.

Yeah, Dumervil on any TE 1-on-1 is a pretty big mismatch.

Chef Zambini
09-12-2013, 12:30 PM
loved the duke. palomaolo comparisons are premature but exciting.
RB by comittee, based on situation looked just fine to me!
GIANTS game:
PFM will face the 12th defender in the meadowlands, the wind !

decker looked dismal, if he drops another pass this week, there is no reason to send him back on to the field, we have far too many more reliable otions.Maybe we keep him out there to block, but no more targets !

Magnificent Seven
09-12-2013, 12:38 PM
So once again, I watched the game in it's entirety as I'm prone to do during the regular season. Here are some observations that I came away with:

1. Julius Thomas is a stud receiver. He's a horrible blocker. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the sidelines some when Dreesen gets back. He's a great target, but caused Manning to take 1 sack and at least 2 other hits. I expect the Broncos to stay with the 3 WR set in the base offense. There are going to be times when Dreesen's blocking will be more important than having another target out there.

2. Other than 2 low snaps, Manny Ramirez played a great game. Early on he was getting to the second level and looked a bit lost on who to block. As the game went on he became more and more comfortable and settled in well.

3. Welker and Manning are still not in synch. Don't let the 9 receptions fool you. There were some plays left on the field. When they do get in synch, watch out.

4. Montee Ball is the future workhorse in this offense. The Broncos took a back by committee approach to this game......until it was time to run the clock out. Once it was time to put the game away, Ball was the only back to see the field. I suspect that when his pass blocking improves, he will get the lion's share of playing time amongst backs.

5. Louis Vasquez is a stud pass blocker. You can see why Elway made signing him his first priority in free agency.

6. Eric Decker may have had the worst game of his career. 2 catches, 3 drops. One of his drops would have been a TD, and one of his 2 receptions ended in a fumble. I expect him to have a big game against the Giants this week.

7. Vickerson and Knighton are not going to be run on when they are on the field together. Teams may run around them, but they won't run on them. Those two were clogging up the middle of the line of scrimmage all night long. While they weren't creating much of a pass rush, they also weren't allowing any holes to run through.

8. Tony Carter continues to play the role of Jeckyl and Hyde. There are plays where he looks like an all pro and plays where he looks lost.

9. DRC is back to being one of the best cover corners in the NFL. I realize that he was playing against sub par talent as a whole, but when the Broncos left him in man to man coverage his receiver disappeared from the game. Can't wait to see him, Champ, and Harris all at full strength on field together.

10. Duke is who we thought he was. He was all over the field. I expect some big plays out of him this season. The kid closes like Paulamalu.

11. Shawn Phillips is far from finished. He just may carry this pass rush until Von gets back. I loves what I saw out of him out there.

12. I have no clue how teams are going to stop the Broncos offense. The Giants will be a good test, because the only way to stop this team is to get pressure with a 4 man rush. Then again, that may not even be enough. I stated before the season started that 35 points/game out of this offense wasn't unrealistic. I may have to raise my expectations.

Really? Orange Julius is a horrible blocker? I thought he did a great job on Thursday night.

broncohead
09-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Yeah, Dumervil on any TE 1-on-1 is a pretty big mismatch.

Pretty much what I was gonna say. Can't expect any TE to pass block Dume. JT pancaked Suggs pretty good on one play.

Buff
09-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Fox was surprisingly critical of Ihenacho when he was asked to evaluate his play this week... But I think that's a good thing - if he looked that good and was playing out of position too often, then he'll be unstoppable once he learns the finer points of playing the position as a starter.

BroncoWave
09-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Fox was surprisingly critical of Ihenacho when he was asked to evaluate his play this week... But I think that's a good thing - if he looked that good and was playing out of position too often, then he'll be unstoppable once he learns the finer points of playing the position as a starter.

Yeah, Fox knows what he's doing here. With the meteoric rise Duke has made over the past few months it's good to keep him grounded and striving to improve. Really looks like he could be our next undrafted gem.

Buff
09-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Yeah, Fox knows what he's doing here. With the meteoric rise Duke has made over the past few months it's good to keep him grounded and striving to improve. Really looks like he could be our next undrafted gem.

It's been refreshing to see us playing with an above average secondary over the last year. We were so bad for so long. I want to have Chris Harris' babies.

LTC Pain
09-12-2013, 01:31 PM
It's been refreshing to see us playing with an above average secondary over the last year. We were so bad for so long. I want to have Chris Harris' babies.

Are you getting the sex change operation???

Buff
09-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Are you getting the sex change operation???

If Harris goes to the pro bowl I'm going to seriously consider it.

Chef Zambini
09-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Yeah, Fox knows what he's doing here. With the meteoric rise Duke has made over the past few months it's good to keep him grounded and striving to improve. Really looks like he could be our next undrafted gem.actually, fox knows our opponents will watch film and take advantage of the dukes propensity to leave his assignment.
this is more than ego control.

TXBRONC
09-12-2013, 01:37 PM
If Harris goes to the pro bowl I'm going to seriously consider it.

I bet you would make one butt ugly woman if you did have a sex change. :heh:

LTC Pain
09-12-2013, 02:59 PM

New face as well as crotch work :) :) :)

Simple Jaded
09-12-2013, 03:11 PM
I want to have Chris Harris' babies.

Shouldn't be too hard to chase them down when they act up.

WARHORSE
09-12-2013, 04:34 PM

I agree. It looked like Thomas was leveraging towards Franklin and expected the help.

But Orange Julius can improve on his blocking and he will. The guy barely has any experience and I only see him getting better.

That being said.......DONT LET ANYONE TOUCH THE QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TXBRONC
09-12-2013, 05:40 PM
New face as well as crotch work :) :) :)

Beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes all the way to the bone.

underrated29
09-12-2013, 05:53 PM

He'd prob look like a real ugly Madonna.