PDA

View Full Version : Pay D. Thomas Now

WARHORSE
09-11-2013, 04:50 PM
The thought of McDaniels time here will always make the hairs on Broncos fans necks bristle. People sold their season tickets and who can blame them?

But one thing Im really grateful for that came from that time is Optimus Prime......Demaryius Thomas.

This guy is unbelievable and you dont hear a peep out of him. Hes so humble. Looking at his life experience prior to football, this kid has every right to hate the world, and go rebellious. Thank the Lord for the uncle that took the kid in and gave him a father figure to guide him.

DT epitomizes what John Elway wants in the lockeroom.

We dont talk about him much, but man we sure should.

We need to lock him up now if we can. He deserves it. I wouldnt be surprised if we're in negotiations with his agent. He just wouldnt do it in the media.

I tip my hat to you Demaryius. I hope youre a B R O N C O for LIFE.

Northman
09-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Lets wait till at least the end of the season.

DenBronx
09-11-2013, 05:10 PM
So far so good on DT. He keeps his nose clean and produces on the field.

We are going to have some big decisions to make this offseason I think.

Phillips, DRC, DT, Welker and Decker. Then Miller and Chris Harris next offseason.

Either way DT has got to be at the top of the list. Decker just might be the odd man out if he continues to have games like last week.

North is right though, play out the year then go from there. Whatever cap space we didnt use, I think around 10 mill or so, will have to be rolled for next year so we can sign a couple more of our guys.

Ravage!!!
09-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Didn't decker have the 2nd highest number of TD catches for a WR last year?

Either way. DT is fun.

Ziggy
09-11-2013, 05:18 PM
DT is under contract for this season and next. No need to re-sign him now.

Ziggy
09-11-2013, 05:19 PM

Phillips, DRC, DT, Welker and Decker. Then Miller and Chris Harris next offseason.

Either way DT has got to be at the top of the list. Decker just might be the odd man out if he continues to have games like last week.

North is right though, play out the year then go from there. Whatever cap space we didnt use, I think around 10 mill or so, will have to be rolled for next year so we can sign a couple more of our guys.

Welker and DT are both signed for this season and next. Re-signing DRC should be our top priority this offseason. He may even get franchised. Decker may have to go just as a matter of attrition.

slim
09-11-2013, 05:19 PM
DT is under contract for this season and next. No need to re-sign him now.

That is what the Ravens said about Joe Flacco, then they had to overpay to keep him.

There is something to be said for planning ahead.

DenBronx
09-11-2013, 05:24 PM

Either way. DT is fun.

Yes he did. He had a bad game last week but I'm sure he will get back to form next week. My point was if he continues that kind of play then it will be hard pressed to give him a contract before DT or Welker. Right now Decker is the 3rd best WR. Thomas has more talent and Welker is unstoppable. We might have to let one of the modern day 3 amigos go. At least enjoy it while they are all here and you never know, maybe Elway works more magic with these contracts. If we win a SB guys are going to want to get paid and paid now. It always works that way, sadly.

The ball is going to get spread around even more though. Just too many options for Manning now. When we finally hit stride in the running game then this offense is going to be extremely difficult to game plan for. Who in the hell do you cover??

EMB6903
09-11-2013, 05:55 PM

Either way. DT is fun.

Decker is solid. DT is a top 5 WR in this league.

I'd take him over any WR not named AJ Green and Calvin Johnson.

SR
09-11-2013, 06:17 PM

Welker is on a two year deal. I think they'll let Decker walk.

Magnificent Seven
09-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Indeed!

BroncoWave
09-11-2013, 06:44 PM

Yeah, I don't think Decker will be a huge priority to re-sign. I'm sure he's a guy the FO would like to have back at the right price, but I don't see them overpaying for him. DT should absolutely be our first priority.

SR
09-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I don't think Decker will be a huge priority to re-sign. I'm sure he's a guy the FO would like to have back at the right price, but I don't see them overpaying for him. DT should absolutely be our first priority.

I think Decker's best year is behind him.

BroncoWave
09-11-2013, 06:50 PM
I think Decker's best year is behind him.

I've honestly never been as enamored with him as some on here. I dunno, he's just never jumped off the screen at me. He makes some solid plays, but it seems like he has too many bad drops too. And I can't shake that image of him falling on his face with a wide open field against SD last season.

SR
09-11-2013, 06:55 PM
I've honestly never been as enamored with him as some on here. I dunno, he's just never jumped off the screen at me. He makes some solid plays, but it seems like he has too many bad drops too. And I can't shake that image of him falling on his face with a wide open field against SD last season.

He's an above average WR, but he's not special. DT is special. Welker is special.

Hawgdriver
09-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm with you.

Northman
09-11-2013, 07:32 PM
That is what the Ravens said about Joe Flacco, then they had to overpay to keep him.

There is something to be said for planning ahead.

Sure, then there is the flipside of that in Brian Griese. :lol:

Northman
09-11-2013, 07:34 PM
For the record, i would want to keep Decker personally. But ive been wrong before (see Eddie Royal).

Hawgdriver
09-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Royal was deserving, awkward circumstances.

broncohead
09-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Who knows what decker will be asking. I'd like to keep him. He's still young and a proven player that is starter material. There are players who can be restructured who are at the end of their careers. DT is a must though

Northman
09-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Well, im not sure if Deck is in a position to ask for the farm. If he does than you just got to cut him loose but he hasnt really made the kind of impact (yet) to ask a high price.

DenBronx
09-11-2013, 08:36 PM

I think you are right. If it has to come down to that. Depends on what kind of deal we can strike with DT.

This isnt a bad problem to have is it? Too much talent and not enough to go around.

SR
09-11-2013, 08:42 PM
I think you are right. If it has to come down to that. Depends on what kind of deal we can strike with DT.

This isnt a bad problem to have is it? Too much talent and not enough to go around.

DT will want top WR money and he'll get it.

Broncolingus
09-11-2013, 09:04 PM
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out...

One game into the season, the Raven's look like idiots for not keeping Bolden...but it's a long season, and he went to a team that has (had) a great offense.

Wallace in Fishville is the other side of the pendulum - went to a team with no offense and looks like he'll be lucky to do anything this year...but again, that's only after one game and it's a long season.

...maybe see where things are with DT and Decker soonest at midseason, and then start formulating some plans.

JMO...

Denver Native (Carol)
09-11-2013, 09:16 PM
I though the following deserved to be posted, and since this thread is about DT, I will post it here.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 10m

.@Amit_MileHigh Well, D-Thomas just donated 25-hundred to Boys Hope, Girls Hope completely unsolicited. Didn't do it for the press.

SR
09-11-2013, 09:29 PM
He's a good guy.

WARHORSE
09-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Paying him now is the smart thing to do. He's proven, broncos know it and he knows it. The broncos would be making a gesture that can go a long ways towards getting a great deal. Wait till next year, and his agent will be have every bit of nerve to stare down all offers.
Two years in this league can be a long time to dodge injury.

pay the man now, he's earned it.

Jsteve01
09-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Listen im a huge dt fan. But in today's nfl you can't just start arbitrarily resigning guys a year before you have to. Hes getting paid first round money and we can sign him after next year. No need take that huge cap hit a year before we have to. If he were a 6th rounder ala td then maybe. The other thing you have to factor in is injury history. Listen if you wait one more year that's another year on his first fa contract which will be during his prime years

WARHORSE
09-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Listen im a huge dt fan. But in today's nfl you can't just start arbitrarily resigning guys a year before you have to. Hes getting paid first round money and we can sign him after next year. No need take that huge cap hit a year before we have to. If he were a 6th rounder ala td then maybe. The other thing you have to factor in is injury history. Listen if you wait one more year that's another year on his first fa contract which will be during his prime years

You actually have more flexibility imo. IF he has hit all his escalators, then his deal was five years 15 million.

His contract had 9.35 million guaranteed. The base is 12.12 million over those five years.

With the rookie scale, we really dont have to worry about huge cap hits that arent planned. If a team mortages its team on a player in this day and age theyre dumb.

Sign him now for a lesser average per year over the long haul. DONT sign him while being leveraged to a deal that gives us less room cap wise in the end.

1. Vincent Jackson, Buccaneers – 11,000,000
2. Dwayne Bowe, Chiefs – 9,515,000
3. Wes Welker, Patriots – 9,515,000
4. Brandon Marshall, Bears – 9,300,000
5. Santonio Holmes, Jets – 7,750,000
6. Sidney Rice, Seahawks – $,7,000,000
7. Anquan Boldin, Ravens – $6,000,000
8. Roddy White, Falcons – 5,500,000
9. Darius Heyward-Bey – $5,279,000
10. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals – $5,000,000

Ziggy
09-12-2013, 12:14 AM
We can franchise him in 2 years if we need to, and do it again the next season. That means that we have him under contract for this year and 3 more if we want to without signing him to an extension.

Simple Jaded
09-12-2013, 12:16 AM
We can franchise him in 2 years if we need to, and do it again the next season. That means that we have him under contract for this year and 3 more if we want to without signing him to an extension.

Iirc they have Miller due same year, tho.