PDA

View Full Version : Broncos defense may be underrated, but looking to improve with Giants up next

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Saying that the Broncos defense started the season opener in a shaky fashion might be something of an understatement, but by the end of the first half, the team seemed to be coming into its own. In the days since the convincing 49-27 win, that defense has been the subject of more praise than it’s warranted in weeks, but no one is letting it get to his head just yet.

“I think we’ll just leave it to understate-overproduce, hopefully, and start our preparation,” coach John Fox said on Monday of his defense. Then, after being asked to asses the performance of safety Duke Ihenacho, Fox delivered something closer to criticism when many of the assembled writers expected praise. He’s not ready to make any sweeping congratulations, not after one game in which he witness plenty of mistakes.

Even with the defense doing enough to hold Baltimore to just 10 second-half points, it still allowed the Ravens 363 total yards, the seventh-most allowed by any defense this week. (Four teams have yet to play at the time I post this.) There are improvements to be made, and though the Broncos will be an offensive-minded team, plenty will ride on their shorthanded defense early this season.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/09/09/broncos-defense-maybe-underrated-but-looking-to-improve/21463/

SR
09-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Good read.

CrazyHorse
09-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Both teams might be without their starting corner this week. I expect another high scoring affair.

Joel
09-10-2013, 07:48 AM
For completeness, SD allowed Houston 449 yds, while both Washington and Philly had >363 offensive yards (but only by 19 in Washingtons case,) so we gave up the tenth most yards. It's hard to say what w have after just one game against (IMHO) a weak offense, especially with two top defenders sidelined. It's a marathon, not a sprint, as the Ravens reminded us a month after we shelled them on their home field last year.