PDA

View Full Version : Could Phillips end up being better than Dumervil in Denver?

DenBronx
09-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I always thought Elvis was a little one demensional at times. Don't get me wrong, he is really good at rushing the passer but has struggled stopping the run in times past. Scheme wise, Phillips just might end up putting up even better numbers than Elvis would have. No knock on Elvis at all either, he was very good here and I think will still be good in Baltimore.

Were only at week 1 but Phillips is giving us signs that he is going to get to the QB alot. Really, I think he is a little more diverse than Elvis, not to mention alot cheaper. He should put up alot of sacks and still stop the run. That is exactlly the kind of thing Del Rio is looking for.

Throw in Miller and I see alot of sacks & turnovers in this defense.

FanInAZ
09-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Doom was a young, rising star. Phillips has come to us in the twilight of his career. That not saying that Phillips isn't a quality veteran FA pick-up, but Doom will still be playing years after Phillips has retires.

DenBronx
09-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Doom was a young, rising star. Phillips has come to us in the twilight of his career. That not saying that Phillips isn't a quality veteran FA pick-up, but Doom will still be playing years after Phillips has retires.

Baring no injuries that should be a true statement.

However, Phillips is only about 3 years older. And how long will we even need Phillips??? Don't we have an ALL-IN/WIN NOW mentality? At 32 I fully expect Phillips to still be at the top of his game, he is not on the wrong side of 30 yet.

Did he show any signs of age or rust week 1???

I think we have him on a one year rental but maybe we should try and keep him around while Mannings here at least.

Joel
09-08-2013, 10:01 PM
My first reaction to the question was "overall, or as a rusher?" but in the context of your clarifying that, yeah. Doom got better against the run over the years (in part by adding 10 lbs.) but it's still not his strength. Phillips had to do many things well as a 3-4 OLB in San Diego, and did, so Doom may be a better blitzer, but Phillips is no slouch, and plays the run much better, so, yeah, better overall.

Simple Jaded
09-08-2013, 10:01 PM
No, not even in his prime was Phillips better than Dumervil is now.

Dapper Dan
09-08-2013, 10:05 PM
I think we will be okay without Doom because we have Phillips. But I think Phillips has never been better than Doom.

topscribe
09-08-2013, 10:19 PM
I hope you're right, DB. In fact, I was banging the table for Phillips before the Broncos signed him.

But Phillips has played exactly one regular season game for the Broncos. Don't you think we need
to put the lid back on the kool-aid jar for a while and see how he does the rest of the season?

DenBronx
09-08-2013, 10:24 PM
I hope you're right, DB. In fact, I was banging the table for Phillips before the Broncos signed him.

But Phillips has played exactly one regular season game for the Broncos. Don't you think we need
to put the lid back on the kool-aid jar for a while and see how he does the rest of the season?

No, I would rather talk about it now and we don't have Broncos football until next week. I know it's early but it's something I think we are all keeping an eye on. Right out the gate he is looking good. Will he keep it up? Time will tell.

Point is, maybe Phillips has never been as good as a pass rusher as Dumervil was but he just might end up making a bigger impact in THIS scheme. He had decent teams in SD but I think this defense is better than what he had in SD.

And yes Joel, I mean all around player for us.

MOtorboat
09-08-2013, 10:27 PM
No, not even in his prime was Phillips better than Dumervil is now.

Not so sure about that...

Phillips has averaged 52.5 tackles and 7.5 sacks per season.

Dumervil has averaged 37.5 tackles and 10.5 sacks per season.

Phillips also has 37 deflections in 9 years versus 10 in 6 years, and has 6 interceptions to Dumervil's 1 and 21 fumbles forced to 16 for Dumervil.

I don't think Dumervil is clearly better.

DenBronx
09-08-2013, 10:30 PM

Phillips also has 37 deflections in 9 years versus 10 in 6 years, and has 6 interceptions to Dumervil's 1 and 21 fumbles forced to 16 for Dumervil.

Looked up both of their career stats yesterday and was just getting ready to post some of those numbers.

Thanks for saving me the time.

MOtorboat
09-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Looked up both of their career stats yesterday and was just getting ready to post some of those numbers.

Thanks for saving me the time.

I don't even think it's clear that Dumervil is the better pass rusher. Phillips was playing in a different scheme that asked him to drop back more. Even when Denver was playing the 3-4 and Dumervil had his career year, he wasn't dropping much. Phillips was.

DenBronx
09-08-2013, 10:31 PM
On a side note, Mannings little brother is looking pretty bad tonight. Hope he continues to throw those picks against us too.

DenBronx
09-08-2013, 10:34 PM
I don't even think it's clear that Dumervil is the better pass rusher. Phillips was playing in a different scheme that asked him to drop back more. Even when Denver was playing the 3-4 and Dumervil had his career year, he wasn't dropping much. Phillips was.

All I can remember when we played them was him getting to our QBs alot.

I did hate his bowling sack dance back then though. However, I was kind of glad to see it Thursday.

The first half we didnt get alot of QB pressure. I don't know what happened in that locker room at half time but they came out looking alot better.

Simple Jaded
09-08-2013, 10:39 PM

I hope I'm wrong, either way l still think the signing was a really solid move.

Simple Jaded
09-08-2013, 10:41 PM
I could do without all the ******* dancing around though.

Army Bronco
09-08-2013, 10:44 PM
I sure hope he is! He already has 2.5 sacks.

jhns
09-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Lol no...

topscribe
09-08-2013, 11:01 PM
I could do without all the ******* dancing around though.
You know what, ol' buddy? If he gets 2.5 sacks a game, he can do the
foxtrot out there, for all I care. :lol:

Joel
09-08-2013, 11:09 PM
On a side note, Mannings little brother is looking pretty bad tonight. Hope he continues to throw those picks against us too.
I got there late, so can't speak to the first one, but, to be fair, the second was a hot read that bounced off a backup RB who wasn't looking for it and went straight into a defenders hands for a pick six; not Mannings fault. Eli's a pretty good QB; when we signed Peyton I remember wishing we'd gotten him instead, and not just because he's younger. Eli's not as good a passer, doesn't read Ds and write playbooks, but he's a LOT more mobile and even converts 3rd and 10 with his legs pretty often for someone first and foremost a pocket passer. Plus, y'know, clutch factor. ;)

The first half we didnt get alot of QB pressure. I don't know what happened in that locker room at half time but they came out looking alot better.
If memory serves the main thing that happened was their starting RT went out in the third quarter and didn't return.

topscribe
09-08-2013, 11:16 PM

If memory serves the main thing that happened was their starting RT went out in the third quarter and didn't return.
That had to be a reason for the second-half performance (although not the only one).
Baltimore's starting five seems one of the tougher units to pass rush against.

sneakers
09-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Does he get most of his sacks in times other than garbage time? then yes.

CrazyHorse
09-08-2013, 11:24 PM
He's more versatile so possibly.

underrated29
09-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Nah. I did not think he got very good pressure at all until other got hurt and went out. I remember seeing doom on many occasions get very close....I didn't see that from Shaun.

If he can get to Eli a few times, then we can talk about how he does vs doom. In the meantime he is doing well and we need it til Von gets back. For that I am happy.

Hawgdriver
09-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Sure, why not.

They say Doom was not the best against the run. That's hard for me to quantify objectively, compared to sacks. They should have a metric of "plus rushes surrendered" so we could compare that. Then maybe we could say Phillips was better overall.

My gut is that Doom is bit more of a special player, but I might be wrong.

Northman
09-09-2013, 03:49 AM

^All this.

SR
09-09-2013, 07:47 AM
I voted no only for longevity reasons. Phillips has a few more miles on him than Elvis. Talent wise, Phillips, I think, is just as good as Elvis.

SR
09-09-2013, 07:52 AM
I got there late, so can't speak to the first one, but, to be fair, the second was a hot read that bounced off a backup RB who wasn't looking for it and went straight into a defenders hands for a pick six; not Mannings fault. Eli's a pretty good QB; when we signed Peyton I remember wishing we'd gotten him instead, and not just because he's younger. Eli's not as good a passer, doesn't read Ds and write playbooks, but he's a LOT more mobile and even converts 3rd and 10 with his legs pretty often for someone first and foremost a pocket passer. Plus, y'know, clutch factor. ;)

Are you ******* with me right now? Clutch factor? Who has the most career fourth quarter comebacks and game winning drives combined in NFL history? PEYTON MANNING. Who cares how "mobile" Eli is...he's not half the QB in the pocket and at the line of scrimmage Peyton is. Eli over Peyton? Good lord.

Dzone
09-09-2013, 08:38 AM
I will take Philllips over Dumervil...we got lucky in the fax snafu...

LTC Pain
09-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Screw Dumerville!

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
09-09-2013, 09:28 AM
I think he did most of his damage in garbage time and after Oher got injured. Before that, our pressure was our biggest problem. We will see how he does in the next few weeks before Von gets back.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-09-2013, 09:32 AM
I don't know if I'm ready to crown Phillips just yet. As was previously stated, our d-line got zero pressure without blitzing until Oher went out.

That coincided with the offense catching fire and getting a 2 TD lead which allowed the D-line to go into full on pass rush mode. We also got halftime for JDR to make adjustments (which we seem to be quite good at finally). We're finally a second half team after all those years of being a first half team with Shanny. We adjust better than most teams.

I hope Phillips can keep it up even after Von gets back because then. We'll be in great shape. If Ayers and Wolfe can step up and get some pressure, we'll be a force.

Chef Zambini
09-09-2013, 09:48 AM
I don't know if I'm ready to crown Phillips just yet. As was previously stated, our d-line got zero pressure without blitzing until Oher went out.

That coincided with the offense catching fire and getting a 2 TD lead which allowed the D-line to go into full on pass rush mode. We also got halftime for JDR to make adjustments (which we seem to be quite good at finally). We're finally a second half team after all those years of being a first half team with Shanny. We adjust better than most teams.

I hope Phillips can keep it up even after Von gets back because then. We'll be in great shape. If Ayers and Wolfe can step up and get some pressure, we'll be a force.

the comments about second half adjustments are the most praiseworthy !!
Our coaches showed that last season and I was elated to see that again in this first game of this season.

as for elvis, he has left the building, I fail to see the merit in discussing him.
its like talking about the OTHER brandon marshall who is no longer a bronco, whats the point?

I hope Phillips has a great season.
I hope our D comes together as a unit, regardless of who is on the field.
I hope our coaches are preparing a little film montage of all the STOOPID that occured in the first eek of the NFL, danny T was not alone, welker and other NFL players made some bonehead plays that our coaches should address !
so for now, the best thing I can say about philips is I dont recall him doing anything stoopid !

Chef Zambini
09-09-2013, 09:50 AM

I wish I could buy you a beer for calling shanny a first half coach, BINGO !
first half of games, first half of season.
that was his M.O. during this millenium.

TXBRONC
09-09-2013, 09:53 AM
No I don't think Phillips is going to be better than Dumervil. Dumervil isn't light years ahead Phillips and I don't think we'll get that much more versatility out him but atm it looks like he'll be able to do a solid job. Also as it was pointed out Denver didn't get a lot pressure without blitzing.

Chef Zambini
09-09-2013, 10:37 AM
pressure on the QB.
that seemed to be the weakest aspect of our D.

topscribe
09-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Are you ******* with me right now? Clutch factor? Who has the most career fourth quarter comebacks and game winning drives combined in NFL history? PEYTON MANNING. Who cares how "mobile" Eli is...he's not half the QB in the pocket and at the line of scrimmage Peyton is. Eli over Peyton? Good lord.
Eli has one advantage over Peyton: youth. But then, so does Tebow.

I don't know how anyone could debate Eli vs. Peyton with a straight face . . .

topscribe
09-09-2013, 11:14 AM
I think he did most of his damage in garbage time and after Oher got injured. Before that, our pressure was our biggest problem. We will see how he does in the next few weeks before Von gets back.
You should have watched the game, then. That was a real game going on,
and the Ravens were doing everything they could to catch up. That was
definitely not "garbage time."

No I don't think Phillips is going to be better than Dumervil. Dumervil isn't light years ahead Phillips and I don't think we'll get that much more versatility out him but atm it looks like he'll be able to do a solid. Also as it was pointed out Denver didn't get a lot pressure without blitzing.
And they won't without Von. And they wouldn't without Von, even with
Dumervil in there. They would just double up on him and chip him and
let the rest of the pass rush try to beat them. Because outside of Von
and Phillips, they don't really have a great pass rusher.

Chef Zambini
09-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Eli has one advantage over Peyton: youth. But then, so does Tebow.

I don't know how anyone could debate Eli vs. Peyton with a straight face . . .
.I think ELI is morer elusive than big brother,
but maybe thats out of nessesity.

topscribe
09-09-2013, 12:16 PM
I think ELI is morer elusive than big brother,
but maybe thats out of nessesity.
Well, Zam, a lot of QBs today are more elusive than Peyton. But, as you
implied, they have to be. They don't have the anticipation, the lightning-
quick release, the movement in the pocket, the cerebral qualities that
Peyton has.

Shoot, he proved last Thursday that a heavy pass rush isn't any more
effective against him than it is against more mobile QBs.

slim
09-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Yes

09-09-2013, 01:06 PM
You should have watched the game, then. That was a real game going on,
and the Ravens were doing everything they could to catch up. That was
definitely not "garbage time."

I watched the game, but did you? Do you remember the 1st half with a healthy Oher at RT? I'll give you the one sack that came early in the 3rd was due to halftime adjustments, but the second sack came in GARBAGE TIME with under 5 minutes left in the game.

The main point I was trying to make was that pressure came AFTER Oher went down. Some others in this thread seem to agree. This was certainly an encouraging game, but it was only 1 game. I'm going to remain reserved about Phillips until I see more.

G_Money
09-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Better at what, I guess is my question. Better this year than Doom was last year? Sure, he could be that. Better for this year's salary than Doom would have been at his salary pre-fax-reconstruction? Sure.

My favorite thing was how personally he took (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000239110/article/shaun-phillips-denver-broncos-defense-quiet-critics) the Doom and gloom about Dumervil's departure:

"I took it personally," linebacker Shaun Phillips said after Thursday's 49-27 victory, via The Denver Post. "Everyone was like, 'What are we going to do about the pass rush?' I've got like 70-something sacks in my career. What am I, some bum or something like that?"

The veteran linebacker, who signed with the Broncos this offseason, pulled no punches after the game when asked if the media's questions motivated him.

"Of course, because that's basically saying, 'Shaun Phillips, you suck,'"
I don't need him to be great forever. I need him to be great, or at least good, this year. Dumervil was never gonna get back to being a 17-sack dude here in a 4-3, even with Von getting the lion's share of the attention. I need what Doom provided last year, plus more playoff pressure. Phillips could absolutely make that happen.

Nobody thinks Phillips was worth what Doom was worth over the next few years, or Phillips wouldn't have been available for a $1 mil/1 year flier. But Doom had 11 sacks and 54 total tackles last year. Phillips had 9.5 and 50 total tackles. I'd give it an even shot that Phillips has the same year Doom does this year, and Welker + Phillips for the same price as Dumervil should be a complete net win in the end, shouldn't it?

~G

G_Money
09-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Or to put it another way:

Doom's 2012 sacks against below .500 teams: 7.5
Against .500 or better teams: 3.5

Do I think Phillips can manage 3.5 sacks this year against playoff caliber teams to help us beat teams that can actually compete with us? Yup. Below .500 teams shouldn't need his help to beat em anyway, so who cares what stats he racks up against them.

~G

Chef Zambini
09-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Do I think Phillips can manage 3.5 sacks this year against playoff caliber teams to help us beat teams that can actually compete with us? Yup. Below .500 teams shouldn't need his help to beat em anyway, so who cares what stats he racks up against them.

~G
or to put it another way, stats/ schmatz, just help our D to win the game.
philips played without champ and von and contributed in a win.
elvis has left the building, we might as well be discussing gradishar.

jhns
09-09-2013, 01:34 PM

~G

Now give the total number of games played in each category... Again, lol. You guys try to hard. Elvis has been far better than Phillips throughout his career. Even when coming off of a major injury. The one time he was in a 3-4 with a decent coordinator, he led the league in sacks.

But you all know this. Comparisons like the above are just proof of this.

topscribe
09-09-2013, 01:41 PM
I watched the game, but did you? Do you remember the 1st half with a healthy Oher at RT? I'll give you the one sack that came early in the 3rd was due to halftime adjustments, but the second sack came in GARBAGE TIME with under 5 minutes left in the game.

The main point I was trying to make was that pressure came AFTER Oher went down. Some others in this thread seem to agree. This was certainly an encouraging game, but it was only 1 game. I'm going to remain reserved about Phillips until I see more.
I understand your point, and it is well taken. But you do know who Oher
is, right? You remember the playoff game, right? How often did Von and
Doom get in there? When all five of the Ravens' offensive linemen are
healthy, that is one tough line to pass rush against.

I personally loved how Phillips took Oher's replacement to school. And to
me, "garbage time" is when the scrubs are sent in to finish the game.
With five minutes left in the game, the starters were still in there trying to
score.

silkamilkamonico
09-09-2013, 01:50 PM
dont know bout phillips although he looked good.

elvis was what i thought hed be.

couple good plays, couple bad plays, and a whole lot of nothing in between.

dudes overrated big time imo

09-09-2013, 02:00 PM
I understand your point, and it is well taken. But you do know who Oher
is, right? You remember the playoff game, right? How often did Von and
Doom get in there? When all five of the Ravens' offensive linemen are
healthy, that is one tough line to pass rush against.

I personally loved how Phillips took Oher's replacement to school. And to
me, "garbage time" is when the scrubs are sent in to finish the game.
With five minutes left in the game, the starters were still in there trying to
score.

I loved it too, there's no disagreement there. I just think garbage time is when the game gets out of reach and the winner is clear. I do remember how hard it was to put pressure on Flacco in the playoff game and it was frustrating. I just want this team to be able to put pressure on good, playoff-caliber teams when it counts so that doesn't happen again. Phillips played extremely well in the second half, but I'm not ready to crown him as better than Doom after 1 game and the opposing O-line wasn't fully healthy. To me, the answer to the question of whether we can put pressure on the QB is still to be determined until we face 60 minutes of a fully healthy O-line.

That aside, there wasn't a lot to complain about from our first game. There were stupid mistakes, but all were forgivable/coachable IMO. Even with the lack of pressure in the 1st half, our secondary (and linebackers in coverage) played extraordinary without Von and Bailey. Our O-line played well against a tough front 7. Week 1 PFM played better than last year's week 1 PFM.

The reason I chose to talk about the lack of pressure here was because the Ravens made a lot more mistakes. I'm not sure how many drops they had, but there were so many that I couldn't believe I was watching a Bronco game where the opposition (and not the Broncos) was making most of the mistakes. I want to see us answer the bell when we need to.

slim
09-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Doom got half his sacks in garbage time and/or against inferior competition, so I'm not sure I get your point.

G_Money
09-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Now give the total number of games played in each category... Again, lol. You guys try to hard. Elvis has been far better than Phillips throughout his career. Even when coming off of a major injury. The one time he was in a 3-4 with a decent coordinator, he led the league in sacks.

But you all know this. Comparisons like the above are just proof of this.

But we don't play in a 3-4, so Doom being better in a 3-4 doesn't help us at all. I'm confused. :huh:

~G

jhns
09-09-2013, 03:51 PM
But we don't play in a 3-4, so Doom being better in a 3-4 doesn't help us at all. I'm confused. :huh:

~G

Phillips was standing up with 3 down linemen a lot. People are comparing past stats where Phillips has always been in a 3-4. I don't think you know this defense if you think we actually play a 4-3. They mix it up constantly.

All of this just sounds like you guys trying to convince yourselves that Orton is better than Cutler. Just lol...

CoachChaz
09-09-2013, 03:58 PM
I think it goes both ways. I saw Phillips also look good in coverage on Thursday. I dont think I could EVER say that about Doom.

But that being said, I think Phillips could get 12 sacks in this defense as well as look better against the run and in coverage. Does that make him better or more valuable than Doom? I guess it's really just a matter of favoritism. Personally...I want the guy that can contribute the most. If Phillips can equal the sack total, but be better in other areas...WIN

slim
09-09-2013, 04:01 PM
To me Philips is the better overall player and you aren't really giving up that much pass rush anyway (Philips has averaged 8 per season for his career and Doom has averaged 10.5).

G_Money
09-09-2013, 04:08 PM
The question was whether Phillips could be better in Denver than Doom. I assume that's not whether he's the better player, but whether he could be a better fit or simply have an up year. I dunno if he meant this year or over multiple years, but while I think Dumervil is more talented at pass-rushing, he is a terrible cover man (not that Phillips is great) and is bad against the run (Phillips is better but still not great). For this year, do I think he COULD be more productive than Doom? Sure, I think he could.

It's not like he's talking about Jarvis Moss.

~G

BroncoNut
09-09-2013, 04:19 PM
I like Phillips, but before I start riding his balls, I really need to see what he can do against a higher caliber defense

CoachChaz
09-09-2013, 04:21 PM
I like Phillips, but before I start riding his balls, I really need to see what he can do against a higher caliber defense

Let me know how Phillips does against those higher caliber defenses

BroncoNut
09-09-2013, 04:23 PM
:tsk:

could Phillips be better than doom? I spose, anything is possible

Jsteve01
09-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Good posts nut.

DenBronx
09-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Poll looks pretty split down the middle.

I can understand why fans think Dumervil is the better player. He was a sack machine here.

Can also see why many voted for Phillips, mainly because we might be able to do more with him. He is sort of a poor mans Von Miller.

DenBronx
09-09-2013, 06:01 PM

Let me know how Phillips does against those higher caliber defenses

Didnt he just get 2.5 sacks against a high caliber Ravens defense?? lol

He will also be going up against the Giants defense. If he has anywhere near the same production next weel then we need to expect him to play like the whole year.

DenBronx
09-09-2013, 06:07 PM
The question was whether Phillips could be better in Denver than Doom. I assume that's not whether he's the better player, but whether he could be a better fit or simply have an up year. I dunno if he meant this year or over multiple years, but while I think Dumervil is more talented at pass-rushing, he is a terrible cover man (not that Phillips is great) and is bad against the run (Phillips is better but still not great). For this year, do I think he COULD be more productive than Doom? Sure, I think he could.

It's not like he's talking about Jarvis Moss.

~G

I just think he might fit our defense a little better.

Either guy would do good here. Just think we are able to drop Phillips back in coverage, he reads the correct gaps to stuff the run and then he brings QB pressure. He plays with his hand in the dirt or he can stand up. All of those little things is why I gave him the edge.....at least for this current team.

Its like an every down RB that can pound the rock, block for the QB or catch passes versus a pass catching only RB. Clinton Portis was very well rounded and so was TD.

broncohead
09-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I said yes only because he COULD end up playing better but I'd still rather have Doom then Phillips. Phillips is more versatile but at this stage Doom is a better pass rusher imo

BroncoNut
09-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Good posts nut.

thanks Jsteve!! I think people are finally starting to take my football posts more seriously

BroncoNut
09-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Didnt he just get 2.5 sacks against a high caliber Ravens defense?? lol

He will also be going up against the Giants defense. If he has anywhere near the same production next weel then we need to expect him to play like the whole year.

well coach was making fun of me for my error with "defense", but really he's a dipshit when it comes to sarcasm. other than that I really have no response to what you say here. we will see I guess

BroncoNut
09-10-2013, 09:24 AM
and yeah Joel, on you mhs, yeah, probably. I need to see how the Bengals are playing, if they are as good as what seems to be the workd on the streets. I'd like to see the browns too in that regard. in that Division, I probably feel most confident in thinking the Steelers are in the worst situation. it's early

Denver Native (Carol)
09-10-2013, 06:16 PM
In the upper corner of Shaun Phillips' locker, a bumper sticker is smoothed onto the wall. Issued by the U.S. Marines, it reads: "Lead ... Follow ... Or get the hell outta the way."

Phillips, one gets the sense, is a proponent of the first option. Nine years of NFL football behind him and talking a mile a minute, the veteran linebacker came to Denver this offseason in search of a winning team.

"I hate to lose more than I love winning," he said.

And Thursday, first game in his new uniform, he asserted his role. No matter that he's 32 years old, that the football world thought the Broncos' pass rush was suspended, along with Von Miller; Phillips ignored it all, making 2½ sacks in an overall defensive effort that looked something approaching sharp by game's end.

rest - plus video - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24055923/broncos-shaun-phillips-provides-sack-power-von-millers

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-10-2013, 06:59 PM
thanks Jsteve!! I think people are finally starting to take my football posts more seriously

Woah buddy, let's not get ahead of ourselves. :D

topscribe
09-10-2013, 07:32 PM
I said yes only because he COULD end up playing better but I'd still rather have Doom then Phillips. Phillips is more versatile but at this stage Doom is a better pass rusher imo
Well, last year, Doom got 11 sacks, 32 tackles, and 21 assists. Shaun got 9.5 sacks, 33 tackles, and 17 assists.

You may be right about Doom, but he's gone, and I ain't crying . . .

BroncoWave
09-10-2013, 07:40 PM
He may not be a better player than Doom, but he is a WAY better value. Even if he only gives us 80-90% of what Doom could, we are getting it at a far better price than we would have owed Dumervil this season.

TXBRONC
09-10-2013, 08:01 PM

I don't how much more versatile he'll be. It looks me they used him in a manner very similar to the way they used Dumervil.

Northman
09-11-2013, 05:32 AM
I miss Doom.

*hate parade in 5...4....3....2....1*

BroncoNut
09-11-2013, 09:31 AM
I miss Doom.

*hate parade in 5...4....3....2....1*

no hate parade here, but I will suggest that you get over it, he's gone and not inexpendible. if it's a sexual thing, get a Dumerville bobblehead or fathead and jerk off to it, I guess, not that I would know.

Northman
09-11-2013, 10:00 AM
no hate parade here, but I will suggest that you get over it, he's gone and not inexpendible. if it's a sexual thing, get a Dumerville bobblehead or fathead and jerk off to it, I guess, not that I would know.

I was over it 10 seconds after the fax sheet got jammed. But now that he is closer jerking off wont be so difficult. I am THE DOOMSTALKER.

Ravage!!!
09-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Well, last year, Doom got 11 sacks, 32 tackles, and 21 assists. Shaun got 9.5 sacks, 33 tackles, and 17 assists.

You may be right about Doom, but he's gone, and I ain't crying . . .

Yeah.. but can't compare in a sense that PHillips didn't have the advantage of having Miller on the other side of the field to take away the double team like Doom did last year. I actually think Phillips is the better player...well, WAS in his prime........than Doom is.

slim
09-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Yeah.. but can't compare in a sense that PHillips didn't have the advantage of having Miller on the other side of the field to take away the double team like Doom did last year. I actually think Phillips is the better player...well, WAS in his prime........than Doom is.

He was always a better player than Merriman, too. But people get hung up on the flash too much.

Ravage!!!
09-11-2013, 11:23 AM
He was always a better player than Merriman, too. But people get hung up on the flash too much.

Agreed.

Broncolingus
09-11-2013, 10:17 PM
I like the guy, always have, and man was this ever a key acquisition this offseason...

I just think he's got a bit too many miles on his chassis to be consistently dominant for the long haul...

...BUT, a great role player and story for a Super Bowl year.

Simple Jaded
09-11-2013, 10:37 PM

Speaking of missing former Broncos, they need a Fathead of Renee Herlocker. Fap, fap, fap, fap, fap.