PDA

View Full Version : O-Line

Ziggy
09-06-2013, 04:18 PM
The Oline gave up 3 sacks in 42 passing attempts by Manning. While that may trouble some, I couldn't be more encouraged by this line. Of course Clady got beat early a couple of times. Folks quickly forget that he missed all of OTA's, most of camp, and played in just one quarter of the preseason. Did I mention that he was going against the best pass rushing front in the NFL? Ngata, and Canty in the middle, with Suggs and Doom rushing from the outside. Quick...name a better pass rushing line in the league. That's 3 all pro's coming at the Broncos on nearly every passing down.

Ramirez was helped out quite a bit by Vasquez blocking Ngata. That's called good coaching. Franklin was beat once or twice, but he also was blocking Doom and Suggs all night. He's developing into a stellar right tackle. Once Clady gets into game shape, we'll see why Elway paid him the fat contract that he did. Beadles was average at the point of attack, but he can pull like a trucker on meth. Vasquez might be the best pass blocking guard we've had in Denver.

This team won't face a better 4 man pass rush this season. While the run blocking left a bit to be desired, I expect that to improve as the season moves on. All this group has to do is keep Manning upright. 7 TD passes? Let's give some love to the offensive line.

rationalfan
09-06-2013, 04:42 PM
yep. and, if i recall, one of the sacks (perhaps just a pressure) was because julius thomas couldn't block elvis.

Broncolingus
09-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Great post, Zig...and couldn't agree more.

With all of the injuries and turmoil with the OL this preseason, I was very impressed with the overall effort...esp. for a season opener.

While the Ravens defense lost pieces, they still have some very good players (Suggs, Ngata, etc.) and still, the offense absolutely shredded them.

Stay healthy and just keep getting better each week!

TXBRONC
09-06-2013, 04:59 PM
The Oline gave up 3 sacks in 42 passing attempts by Manning. While that may trouble some, I couldn't be more encouraged by this line. Of course Clady got beat early a couple of times. Folks quickly forget that he missed all of OTA's, most of camp, and played in just one quarter of the preseason. Did I mention that he was going against the best pass rushing front in the NFL? Ngata, and Canty in the middle, with Suggs and Doom rushing from the outside. Quick...name a better pass rushing line in the league. That's 3 all pro's coming at the Broncos on nearly every passing down.

Ramirez was helped out quite a bit by Vasquez blocking Ngata. That's called good coaching. Franklin was beat once or twice, but he also was blocking Doom and Suggs all night. He's developing into a stellar right tackle. Once Clady gets into game shape, we'll see why Elway paid him the fat contract that he did. Beadles was average at the point of attack, but he can pull like a trucker on meth. Vasquez might be the best pass blocking guard we've had in Denver.

This team won't face a better 4 man pass rush this season. While the run blocking left a bit to be desired, I expect that to improve as the season moves on. All this group has to do is keep Manning upright. 7 TD passes? Let's give some love to the offensive line.

One of the sacks was a blown assignment by J. Thomas. From what I saw the line looked pretty good.

broncohead
09-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Also when we cant run the ball rushers can pin their ears back

Joel
09-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Pass blocking never concerned me much; Franklin's much improved (ask Doom,) Clady's healthy and Vasquez is an excellent pass blocker, so unless Ramirez fell apart (and he did get Manning creamed on Julius Thomas' first TD) or Beadles was awful the pass blocking felt pretty secure. If only I felt as good about our run blocking; I know we like to run traps, but there were too many defenders too often in our backfield.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Also when we cant run the ball rushers can pin their ears back

like last night?

TXBRONC
09-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Yes Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are no there but they still play the run.

Chef Zambini
09-07-2013, 12:56 AM
I love our Oline, they cant rest on their laurels however.
the texans have a better pass defense, to answer the rhetorical question.
I love the way KM took the penalty rather than let PFM get creamed.
PFM rewarded him by throwing him a pass on the very next play.