PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Phillips, Broncos waste no time finding an effective pass rush

Denver Native (Carol)
09-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Finally, the questions became too much. Too much doubt. Too much skepticism.

"I took it personally," linebacker Shaun Phillips said. "Everyone was like 'What are we going to do about the pass rush?' I've got like 70-something sacks in my career. What am I, some bum or something like that?"

With former Bronco Elvis Dumervil now on the Ravens and Von Miller suspended, coming into Thursday night's contest there was concern — with good reason — as to whether the Broncos would be able to generate enough of a pass rush to get things done.

But the Broncos defense checked that box to the affirmative.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24029907/shaun-phillips-broncos-waste-no-time-finding-an

Buff
09-06-2013, 02:37 PM
I remember watching an interview Phillips did with Paul Bermeister (sp?) on NFLN right as the Von suspension news was coming out - virtually every question they asked him was about Von - and he was visibly annoyed by the end of the interview. I hope the media continue to antagonize him.

P34flyboy
09-06-2013, 02:38 PM
They were a little slow on the pass rush for the first few series. Flacco had all day. But once they lost their RT, we were able to make Flacco rush throws. As much as I dislike Flacco, he didn't have any help. Once Jones left the game they had lots of trouble producing first downs.

Props to Shaun Philips and Robert Ayers, both got to Flacco more than Von and Elvis did in the playoffs.

SoCalImport
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I thought it was Oher that got injured. Guess I could just Google it.

Ziggy
09-06-2013, 02:54 PM

It was. Jacoby Jones was also injured.

jhns
09-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Phillips was good and better than I expected. I don't think the overall pass rush was very good. We knew they were passing most of the time and Flacco had a lot of time/room on a good percentage of passes. Even some all out blitzes were shut down. They just don't have any recievers to take advantage of that. There was zero pressure until their starting tackle went down.

It won't matter too much though as long as we stay healthy. Miller will be back long before the playoffs.

Broncolingus
09-06-2013, 02:58 PM
I think the defense (DL) started slow and lacked physicality - the first quarter into the second - but, Jack made some adjustments late and certainly at halftime that were effective.

I also think Oher's injury had more of an impact than prob most think...I'm sure the same could be said if Denver lost Clady early in a game.

Once the offense exploded in that 3rd quarter, everyone on the planet knew the Ravens were going to be throwing every down (although they did seem to throw a lot early and I thought their running game was getting decent yards in the 1st/2nd quarters ?)

Finally, I think the secondary played well the entire game for the most part...and we got some turnovers, which we didn't see in preseason.

Bottom line, I think the defense started to stabilize midway thru that 2nd quarter, gained some physicality, and generated some pressure. Once the wheels completely came off the Raven defense, Denver knew they could pin their ears back and not really worry...

We'll see what happens against the Giants...

...good news is for Phillips, he should get 18 more post-games to tell us how pissed he was anyone doubted him/them.

rationalfan
09-06-2013, 03:01 PM
don't forget about champ, either. if DRC continues to play that well, the outside lanes of the field can be contained by two people. that leaves the safeties/nickel back/lbs/whatever to get the rest.

i think this defense is going to be pretty good.

P34flyboy
09-06-2013, 03:06 PM

Oher was the one that got injured, their Right Tackle (RT).

DenBronx
09-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I loved this quote by Phillip, he is clearly playing with a chip on his shoulder -

"First, I want to thank the secondary, those guys get out there and do a good job which allowed me the opportunity to get some sacks. Another thing was, I took it personal that everyone was like, ‘Oh what are we going to do about the pass rush,’ but I’ve had like 70 sacks in my career. What am I some bum or something like that? I took it a little personal, but again, it’s one game and I’m going to enjoy it. I’m going to thank my teammates first because without them I wouldn’t make a play at all."