PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Caldwell?

OldschoolFreak
09-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Brandon Lloyd is still a FA. I would like to see the Broncos sign him as the 4th WR and cut Andre Caldwell.

Seriously, field the best 53, right? Ok, this is sort of a pipe dream but can anyone give me a solid reason why not?

CrazyHorse
09-06-2013, 02:28 AM
He had one good year. I would assume his salary would be more than Caldwell who already knows the offense. Andre is good enough as 4th or 5th receiving option.

jhildebrand
09-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Lloyd was a bit of a malcontent and wishy washy at the end. No thanks to him.

If Decker continues to not be able to catch a cold naked in a snowstorm, let caldwell take his reps.

OldschoolFreak
09-06-2013, 02:46 AM
Didn't he lead the league in receiving 2 years ago? He's a great route runner and though I'm ok he's no longer a 1 or 2, he'd be a great option as a #4/possession guy.

sneakers
09-06-2013, 06:32 AM
How many other teams are jumping at the bit to go sign him right now? something must be up

Dapper Dan
09-06-2013, 07:41 AM
I'd stick with Caldwell.

BroncoWave
09-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Wow, Caldwell makes a sweet TD catch last night and now we want to cut him? Huh?

broncofaninfla
09-06-2013, 08:35 AM
??? Caldwell outplayed Decker last night. If I'd single out any WR at this point it would be Decker.

Rex
09-06-2013, 08:45 AM
So Lloyd can sit around and bitch that he isnt getting any balls?

shank
09-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Brandon Lloyd is a salesman in the aircraft materials industry now.

smith49
09-06-2013, 09:42 AM
First off, hell no! Second, we have better guys playing on our practice squad that would be better than Lloyd. Lloyd was a one year wonder and a little bitch to boot.

Buff
09-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Lloyd was relatively productive for New England and they didn't bring him back despite a need at WR - that is a red flag. We traded him for cheap because he wanted out. The fact that he didn't get any other opportunities likely means his career is over.

jhns
09-06-2013, 09:44 AM
No thanks. He had one good year and isn't good. Why would we go older for no more skill?

SR
09-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Lloyd was relatively productive for New England and they didn't bring him back despite a need at WR - that is a red flag. We traded him for cheap because he wanted out. The fact that he didn't get any other opportunities likely means his career is over.

Lloyd was nowhere near as productive as he could have been.

Buff
09-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Lloyd was nowhere near as productive as he could have been.

Yeah, but he almost had 80 catches and 900+ yards receiving... So he can obviously contribute - but there is something about his character that has scared teams away IMO.

Dzone
09-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Brandon Loyd is done. He couldnt earn a job in the NFL, he is too old. He is finished as a player. We have young guys with speed who are better.

I would like to see Caldwell replace Decker...Decker is slow and he has these kinds of crappy games way too frequently. Decker needs to be sat.

Dreadnought
09-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Decker will be just fine this year, jeez, settle down evvybody. He played like crap last night. Lots of very good ball players have games where they play like crap.

Please just say no to Brandon Lloyd. Not ever. The guy is an egotistical pain in the ass

BroncoWave
09-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Yeah, but he almost had 80 catches and 900+ yards receiving... So he can obviously contribute - but there is something about his character that has scared teams away IMO.

Agreed. He was our only legitimate WR option at one point and we pretty much gave him to the Rams. Clearly there is something about him that makes teams not want to keep him for too long.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2013, 10:15 AM
He's not a good WR, and has been pin-balling around the NFL since getting into the league. He had 1 good year, and that's pretty much it.

Rex
09-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Decker will be just fine this year, jeez, settle down evvybody. He played like crap last night. Lots of very good ball players have games where they play like crap.

Please just say no to Brandon Lloyd. Not ever. The guy is an egotistical pain in the ass

Its the woman. She will be the end of him. Reality shows. All that nonsense. He will be a hotel doing crack with Lamar Odom soon

GEM
09-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Brandon Lloyd is still a FA. I would like to see the Broncos sign him as the 4th WR and cut Andre Caldwell.

Seriously, field the best 53, right? Ok, this is sort of a pipe dream but can anyone give me a solid reason why not?

Brandon Lloyd is not an upgrade.

vandammage13
09-06-2013, 11:12 AM

If Decker continues to not be able to catch a cold naked in a snowstorm, let caldwell take his reps.

Brandon Loyd is done. He couldnt earn a job in the NFL, he is too old. He is finished as a player. We have young guys with speed who are better.

I would like to see Caldwell replace Decker...Decker is slow and he has these kinds of crappy games way too frequently. Decker needs to be sat.

I don't know what happened to Decker...I was a big fan of his coming out of college, but he has quickly become one of my least favorite Broncos with his highly inconsistent play dating back to his rookie year...Drives me nuts.

That being said, with Welker and the Thomas bros, I don't think we will need much from Caldwell, Decker, or hypothetically Lloyd...All they need to do is run the correct routes to make the offense work properly.

smith49
09-06-2013, 01:02 PM

I don't know what happened to Decker...I was a big fan of his coming out of college, but he has quickly become one of my least favorite Broncos with his highly inconsistent play dating back to his rookie year...Drives me nuts.

That being said, with Welker and the Thomas bros, I don't think we will need much from Caldwell, Decker, or hypothetically Lloyd...All they need to do is run the correct routes to make the offense work properly.

No offense fellas, but decker had a great year last year. He is big and for the most part, has good hands. He had one bad game with a couple of drops to start the year and everyone wants to bench him for a Guy that just scored his first nfl touchdown in who know how long. and a guy who is a ***** ( Lloyd) selfish, me guy.

You are certainly entitled to you're opinions, but I urge you to give Deck the benefit of the dought here. There will no dought be games where he is the man. It's going to be the nature of this offense.

G_Money
09-06-2013, 01:12 PM
I would promote Robinson before going after Lloyd - and Caldwell is just fine for what he's doing. Decker and Welker were fumble-handed last night. Decker just didn't get any great plays to offset his mistakes like Welker did. Deck is gonna win us some games this year, and Caldwell shouldn't be needed to do any more than he did.

We're fine. And if we weren't fine, Lloyd still wouldn't be my first call.

~G

rationalfan
09-06-2013, 02:28 PM
why does this feel like a troll thread?

caldwell collected exponentially more DNPs last year than receptions. yet, he didn't complain to the media. he came back and worked on making the squad. seems like those are the kinds of players we often celebrate as fans - especially when they also score touchdowns.

as for lloyd, he was one of my fave broncos while he was here. i loved watching his body control on acrobatic catches . but toward the end of his time in denver i suspected he was one of those "unnamed sources in the broncos locker room" feeding info to the media. (i don't think i was the only one suspecting that). so, uh, no don't ever bring that dude back here.

jhns
09-06-2013, 02:47 PM
why does this feel like a troll thread?

I think it's really Lloyd trying to get fans to back him for a job, like we did with Tebow.

Broncolingus
09-06-2013, 03:12 PM
I thought Caldwell did everything he could to show he earned his spot last night...that catch was incredible (well, so was the throw too).

...also need to give Decker a pass (pun intended) and I agree he had a - well, okay, really shitty game... ...but everyone does from time-to-time.

If Decker plays that bad every game thru mid-season (which I highly doubt), then we'll start taking about it game 8...but again, I think he just had a bad game - that's all.

JMO...

Joker56
09-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Sure... Caldwell only scored one lousy TD ,thats it ...
We need to cut him...
One catch... one TD ... we need to get him benched ...
Jeeeezuz....

Joker56
09-06-2013, 05:42 PM
On Decker ... he just had an "Off Night"
everybody does sometimes...
It Was the Thomas Twins Show last night

lol

TMT....
stands for too many td's... Thomas Manning Thomas Show

Dreadnought
09-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Sure... Caldwell only scored one lousy TD ,thats it ...
We need to cut him...
One catch... one TD ... we need to get him benched ...
Jeeeezuz....

And that bum Decker. 2nd in the NFL in TD catches last year, and close to a Pro Bowl pick, but one game of admittedly looking like hot dog crap and we're ready to "move on"? That's just silly talk.

Dzone
09-06-2013, 05:53 PM
If Decker was playing on a team with a mediocre qb, he would be a no name.
Instead, he gets on the cover and SI and is highly overrated.

MOtorboat
09-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Decker was second in the league in touchdowns last year. I don't care who your quarterback is, if you catch 13 touchdowns in a season, you're a pretty decent receiver.

Dreadnought
09-06-2013, 06:09 PM

Well, he was also our best WR when Tebow was here, a pretty mediocre passer. I think you are 100% wrong on this one. Big, fast, (yes, quite fast), runs good routes, and gets good yardage after the catch - as we saw last year. Needs to improve consistency, but then he was consistently one of the best WR's in the league in the second half of 2012 after he got over some early season hiccups.

ShaneFalco
09-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Randy Moss at 36 still better then Lloyd and Caldwell!

smith49
09-06-2013, 06:28 PM

This is a ridiculous statement!

wayninja
09-06-2013, 06:43 PM

No it's not. Decker is 3rd string on a team desperate for WR's at best. Stone-hands push-off will always be stone-hands push-off.

wayninja
09-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Well, he was also our best WR when Tebow was here, a pretty mediocre passer. I think you are 100% wrong on this one. Big, fast, (yes, quite fast), runs good routes, and gets good yardage after the catch - as we saw last year. Needs to improve consistency, but then he was consistently one of the best WR's in the league in the second half of 2012 after he got over some early season hiccups.

While I find the kind words (yes, mediocre is kind) about Tebow endearing, Decker is far from 'quite fast' IMO. I'll agree that he can get good yards after the catch, but only if he catches it. His drop rate was the highest on the team last year and so far, the first game hasn't been kind to him in this regard either.

Dzone
09-06-2013, 06:56 PM
LOL....comeon man, one more game like last night and decker will be on the taxi squad

Broncolingus
09-06-2013, 07:49 PM
No disrespect, Zone, but I think Decker just had a (really) bad game...every player has 'em.

...and he was $$$ last year.

Give him some time...

topscribe
09-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Lloyd was a terrific WR when he was here -- one of the best in the league.
Doesn't mean he would be now. His skills must have deteriorated. If not,
there would be a lot more interest in him around the league, it would seem.

dogfish
09-06-2013, 08:03 PM
lol, brandon lloyd. . . definition of a one-trick pony-- an alligator-armed, primadonna douchebage who only runs routes outside the hash marks, doesn't play special teams, and can't block to save his life. . . yea, no. . .

Dzone
09-06-2013, 08:25 PM
No disrespect, Zone, but I think Decker just had a (really) bad game...every player has 'em.

...and he was $$$ last year.

Give him some time...
Ya I hear ya man.
Decker is okay. His drops just irk me . I shouldnt let it bother me. Im just being racist

Dzone
09-06-2013, 08:55 PM
So Decker has a reality show? Now he and his wife jesse james are tweeting that fans are invading their privacy...
Arent reality shows shows about having NO privacy?

blamkin86
09-06-2013, 09:48 PM
As a casual fan, decker seems to always start cold. Almost like a RB who needs a few plays just to get going. Personally he's in a tough spot as manning is going to spread the throws around more this year so it'll be tough for decker to get hot.
Isn't he the guy who did a a flip by himself last year just running down the field?
Finally I'd never cut Caldwell seems like the kind of guy you want on the team plays hard understands how many other guys would love to be in his shoes. Don't know enough about Lloyd to say either way.

Dapper Dan
09-06-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else watched the game last night. It was raining. Decker wasn't the only one struggling.

wayninja
09-06-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else watched the game last night. It was raining. Decker wasn't the only one struggling.

I'd say he had the worst night of all the receivers for either team. He had an offensive PI call and dropped a pass in the end zone. Dallas Clark is a somewhat close second.

Dapper Dan
09-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Baltimore was dropping passes like crazy. I didn't keep up with names, but it happened a lot. People also slid several times. I wasn't there, but it seems like it was wet weather. Which makes what everyone else did that much more extraordinary.

wayninja
09-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Baltimore was dropping passes like crazy. I didn't keep up with names, but it happened a lot. People also slid several times. I wasn't there, but it seems like it was wet weather. Which makes what everyone else did that much more extraordinary.

I'm not discounting that, there were a good number of dropped passed, doesn't change the fact that Decker seemed to bear the worst of it.

smith49
09-06-2013, 10:28 PM
LOL....comeon man, one more game like last night and decker will be on the taxi squad

If you say so.

Dzone
09-06-2013, 10:50 PM
If you say so.
lol...Thank you...

Ravage!!!
09-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Damnit... we are too late!!

Report: Brandon Lloyd to Retire

Brandon Lloyd, who played last year with the New England Patriots and played for six teams in a 10-year career, is planning to retire from football, according to Jason LaCanfora.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report-Brandon-Lloyd-to-retire.html

Ravage!!!
09-07-2013, 10:40 AM
I'd say he had the worst night of all the receivers for either team. He had an offensive PI call and dropped a pass in the end zone. Dallas Clark is a somewhat close second.

Yeah.. but did you see the play where he was called for Offensive PI???

Decker is fine. I have no worries about him.

wayninja
09-07-2013, 11:00 AM

Yeah.. but did you see the play where he was called for Offensive PI???

Decker is fine. I have no worries about him.

I sure did. It was a good call.

TXBRONC
09-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Didn't he lead the league in receiving 2 years ago? He's a great route runner and though I'm ok he's no longer a 1 or 2, he'd be a great option as a #4/possession guy.

Why would Denver want him back, remember he wanted out when he found out Tebow was going to be the starting quarterback. Besides that he has a well deserved reputation of wearing out his welcome wherever he goes. I see no reason to bring that turd back unless it's absolutely necessary and there is no one else available.

Simple Jaded
09-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Denver is loaded at WR and y'all are scrambling for ways to **** it up? The Broncos 5th-6th option in the passing game?