PDA

View Full Version : DRC and the rest of the defense...

DenBronx
09-06-2013, 12:38 AM
They really stepped up. Must say, I was a little worried at first.

When Champ and Miller come back this defense just might be scary too. They got physical in the 2nd half and obviously Del Rio made some adjustments.

Harris is a monster (hope he is ok), Ayers looks like he is proving he can pass rush and DRC was lockdown!

PROPS to the :defense:!!!

BroncoWave
09-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Don't forget Shaun Phillips either. The way he looked tonight he will make us forget about Doom this season.

wayninja
09-06-2013, 12:41 AM
I'm going to have dreams about that lick Moore laid on Clark

Dapper Dan
09-06-2013, 12:42 AM
JDR is amazing. Next man up...

Broncolingus
09-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Defensive adjustments were very good in 2nd quarter on...

...saw a ton of blitz's, but also saw the DL (down 4) get pressure as well.

Very good against the run in the first and second quarters...

silkamilkamonico
09-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Harris is the best cover corner on this team and was last year too IMO.

MOtorboat
09-06-2013, 12:49 AM
DRC was just a decoy.

-Signed
People who don't know what they are talking about.

weazel
09-06-2013, 12:51 AM
would you say Ayers is a late bloomer?

DenBronx
09-06-2013, 12:52 AM

As much as I like Champ, I still have to be honest. Harris is a better play maker than Bailey at this point in his career.

Not a bad problem to be stacked at CB.

When they are all healthy, it's going to be hard to throw on us. Throw in Miller then I see alot of picks happening.

And Shaun Phillips has got it!!!!

G_Money
09-06-2013, 01:02 AM
would you say Ayers is a late bloomer?

Ayers had a sack when he was out of the play and got run into BY Flacco. He still left a lot of plays on the field. I'll take whatever he can give me but I'm not expecting anything like consistency from a guy with that kind of a sputtering motor. Still hoping Q Smith can take his job by mid-season.

Phillips played a great game, though. We need him to be a force worth reckoning with, both before and after Von comes back.

~G

G_Money
09-06-2013, 01:06 AM
DRC looked effing brilliant. Him, Champ, Nacho, Harris, a survivable Moore and Carter as the backup dime DB with Adams lurking for extra S help if Moore can't cut it... yeesh. That's quite the field of competitors. And it doesn't even include Webster, who looks like a sponge soaking up all the knowledge around him. Not looking like such an overdraft now.

Nacho's closing speed is brilliant. DRC hasn't needed any because he's been a velcro blanket out there. I love how the staff told him to prepare to get chewed on and coached if he came here. He wanted it, he's getting it, and that was one game of brilliance right there.

I'll take another in NY, please.

~G

Hawgdriver
09-06-2013, 01:07 AM
I said, DRC = surprise dude. Maybe not much of a surprise, as he's been touted in the past, but c'mon, props for the win tonight is due. He made it happen, along with the dudes like Harris and Duke stepping up.

Army Bronco
09-06-2013, 01:11 AM
What about Kayvon Webster stopping the TD pass??? He played well.

Joel
09-06-2013, 01:18 AM
I'm not sure if Cromartie is a better cover corner who was just on a crappy team for two years. I'm not convinced Harris is better than Champ even now, but if not the difference is increasingly negligible, and, like Champ, Harris is a fine tackler happy to swoop in and level guys on runs. Be honest, folks: Forced to choose between putting Champ and Harris on the field or Moore and Champ, which should it be...?

Imagine a secondary like this: FS Champ SS Ihenacho CB Cromartie CB Harris NB Carter DB Webster/Jammer/Moore/Adams (dealers choice.)

Ayers' first sack may have been the coverage sack Collinsworth called it (couldn't tell at the time,) but in my book a coverage sack is still a sack.

Phillips looked darned good though, especially once the Ravens lost their starting tackle, and I trust him more against the run than I did Doom.

Now, let's not break our arms patting ourselves on the back; we still gave up 27 points to a weak offense that had to ride its D and some iffy calls to a title even when it still had Boldin and Pitta. But, despite a few mistakes, our D played pretty well, and has a right to feel good about that.

Dzone
09-06-2013, 01:23 AM
Awesome effort by the d. Damn they were great

Joel
09-06-2013, 01:25 AM
Ayers had a sack when he was out of the play and got run into BY Flacco. He still left a lot of plays on the field. I'll take whatever he can give me but I'm not expecting anything like consistency from a guy with that kind of a sputtering motor. Still hoping Q Smith can take his job by mid-season.

Phillips played a great game, though. We need him to be a force worth reckoning with, both before and after Von comes back.

~G
Ayers is good vs. the run but no better than average vs. the pass; as long as we don't expect him to play RDE instead of LDE (which is where he is) he'll be fine. Although, when he's got zone dog coverage he REALLY should have sense enough not to go for the pick instead of making the tackle for a short three yard gain; can't believe he even tried that. :rolleyes:

CoachChaz
09-06-2013, 01:33 AM
I don't know who is more annoying. The slew of douchebag Pats fans or the negative Broncos fans that have no clue what they're talking about

Hawgdriver
09-06-2013, 01:39 AM
I have no clue what I'm talking about, but I'm not negative. Therefore, Coach Chaz likes me.

Ziggy
09-06-2013, 02:13 AM
DRC played like Champ in his prime tonight. I still say Kayvon takes Carter's dime spot sometime in the next few games. Del Rio is as good as any coordinator in the league at making half time adjustments.

jhildebrand
09-06-2013, 02:35 AM
You could see the D gelling early on tonight. It was a sight to see. I also LOVED the play of the secondary. Nothing was too big for them. Zone. Man. They were rockin bodies and shutting it down.

OrangeHoof
09-06-2013, 05:32 AM
DRC has all the talent Champ has had. It's a matter of keeping him focused and disciplined. On the telecast, Collinsworth explained JDR told him he could be great but he was going to have to work hard at it. So far, so good.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-06-2013, 05:52 AM
The most impressive part to me was how we stopped the run. The Ravens' bread and butter is pounding the rock with Rice and Pierce. Big Vick and Pot Roast were destroying the Ravens interior line on running downs. I LOVE finally having a DC who understands the importance of the DT position!

The secondary played tough but other than Smith, the Ravens don't exactly have a good receiving corps. There were a lot of drops and overthrows on open guys that helped too. That Harris INT was frickin sick!

gregbroncs
09-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Harris is the best cover corner on this team and was last year too IMO.DRC was spectacular in coverage today. Harris looks like the best cover corner because teams throw at him more than Bailey and more today than DRC. Don't get me wrong Harris is awesome, and I love him on our team. But DRC was the best cover corner today. He did not allow a single catch against him.

gregbroncs
09-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Ayers is good vs. the run but no better than average vs. the pass; as long as we don't expect him to play RDE instead of LDE (which is where he is) he'll be fine. Although, when he's got zone dog coverage he REALLY should have sense enough not to go for the pick instead of making the tackle for a short three yard gain; can't believe he even tried that. :rolleyes:I said the same thing. Then watched the replay. Going for the pick was his only shot at making a play. If he goes for the man he's too far behind and will not make the tackle anyway. Going for the ball really was his only chance.

BroncoWave
09-06-2013, 07:49 AM

~G

Q Smith is in IR.

Broncolingus
09-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Cromartie played a solid game... ...and I thought the secondary played very well all night.

Great job by Del Rio at making adjustments...

mrbusinesz
09-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Great job by the defense tonoght. I said earlier that they would be our achilles heel but they proved to be better than I gave them credit for. Can't wait for Champ and VM to get back.

underrated29
09-06-2013, 10:19 AM

~G

Q Smith is in IR.

Beat me to it.

G_Money
09-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Q Smith is in IR.

Yes, but I thought it was the revocable IR, which is why I said mid-season. Dude was playing fine, so it was my assumption that they were stashing him. If it ain't the revocable kind, then it would be pretty amazing for Q to compete for his spot in the rotation, agreed.

topscribe
09-06-2013, 10:32 AM
I don't know who is more annoying. The slew of douchebag Pats fans or the negative Broncos fans that have no clue what they're talking about
Chris Collinsworth . . .

BroncoWave
09-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Yes, but I thought it was the revocable IR, which is why I said mid-season. Dude was playing fine, so it was my assumption that they were stashing him. If it ain't the revocable kind, then it would be pretty amazing for Q to compete for his spot in the rotation, agreed.

Yeah, he's on season-ending IR. Denver didn't designate anyone for the short tern IR.

underrated29
09-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Yeah, he's on season-ending IR. Denver didn't designate anyone for the short tern IR.

I thought jd Walton was our return mid season guy?

BroncoWave
09-06-2013, 11:16 AM
I thought jd Walton was our return mid season guy?

He's on the PUP list. Can come back after week 6. No one is on our designated to return IR.

Cugel
09-06-2013, 01:35 PM
DRC played like Champ in his prime tonight. I still say Kayvon takes Carter's dime spot sometime in the next few games. Del Rio is as good as any coordinator in the league at making half time adjustments.

No. Champ in his prime had 11 Ints on the season one year and was runner-up for the Defensive MVP of the league. He had a play that year where he was beaten in the end zone and came zipping out of nowhere to step in front of the receiver in the corner of the end-zone, somehow tap both feet down in bounds and control the ball while falling out of bounds. The ref couldn't believe he got both feet down and called it an incomplete. Shanahan challenged and won.

That was one of the most amazing plays I ever saw. I think he also had a couple of 90+ yard INT returns that year also.

The day that DMC does something like that will be the day they get his bust ready for Canton. I think he's a better cover CB right now than Champ and should cover the #1 WR for the rest of this season with Champ covering the #2.

But, he's no Champ Bailey at his best. Not by a long shot.

Ziggy
09-06-2013, 01:52 PM
No. Champ in his prime had 11 Ints on the season one year and was runner-up for the Defensive MVP of the league. He had a play that year where he was beaten in the end zone and came zipping out of nowhere to step in front of the receiver in the corner of the end-zone, somehow tap both feet down in bounds and control the ball while falling out of bounds. The ref couldn't believe he got both feet down and called it an incomplete. Shanahan challenged and won.

That was one of the most amazing plays I ever saw. I think he also had a couple of 90+ yard INT returns that year also.

The day that DMC does something like that will be the day they get his bust ready for Canton. I think he's a better cover CB right now than Champ and should cover the #1 WR for the rest of this season with Champ covering the #2.

But, he's no Champ Bailey at his best. Not by a long shot.

DRC completely took one side of the field away. His coverage was so good that he was only thrown at once, and it ended up in an incompletion. I said that he played like Champ in his prime last night....not that he is Champ Bailey at his best. Good Lord, some people want to argue with everything. He posted a shutout and took whichever receiver he was covering completely out of the play on every play that the Broncos went man to man. Interceptions or not, he played a flawless game and was the best player on the field on defense for either team last night. How's your half empty glass doing? Need a refill?

broncohead
09-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Great D play all around. DRC played an amazing game. I saw he was out of position a few times while in zone but i'm sure it would get corrected. The Ayers sack was a mistake on Flacco's fault and not because he had a good pass rush. Moore played very well and Champ isn't moving to FS and taking his position. Nacho was my surprise player. Dude was everywhere and made a great play on the edge when getting blocked out. I'm still a little concerned about our pass rush. Seemed only Phillips could get pressure or when we blitzed. Hopefully with dominant DB play we can get coverage sacks. Well theres my rant on the D