PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker still getting comfortable with Broncos as new go-to WR

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Wes Welker has been settling into life in Colorado for a while now.

He started, coincidentally enough, with a destination wedding to Aspen last summer. He then went back to the New England Patriots for another 100-reception season, but in mid-March, he jumped to the Broncos. He and his wife, Anna, have since moved into the Cherry Creek area, where they enjoy getting out and about.

Welker started running routes for his new quarterback, Peyton Manning, in April and practiced with the Broncos through parts of April, May, June and July — and all of August.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24018361/wes-welker-still-getting-comfortable-broncos-new-go

WTE
09-05-2013, 03:53 PM
I heard that after NE beat Denver last year and exhausted the Broncos defense w/ their hurry-up that Denver copied NE's playbook and decided to go hurry up too.

Joel
09-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Is he really our go to guy though? It seems like Thomas is our playmaker, but also seemed PFM really liked targeting Decker last year. I expect good production from Welker, but, for all the advantages of missmatches, if slot receivers were go to guys they'd be #1/2.

Northman
09-05-2013, 04:17 PM
If Manning is smart he will get everyone involved.

SR
09-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Which he is, and he will.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Wait.. did you say "if" Manning is smart?

Ziggy
09-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Manning will go to whoever gets open. There may be a different star every week. If a team refuses to double Welker, you very well may see him get 15 catches in a game. The next game might be DT or someone else doing the same thing. I can't wait to watch this offense destroy some defenses this season.

Joel
09-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Barring serious injury, the passing game is easily the most reliable flexible part of our team now.

Our secondary's banged up and starting two guys who weren't on the team last year while Moore tries to convince us he's put the playoff loss behind him and urges us to do the same.
Our best LB is on a six game suspension and the only starter from last year is at a new position.
One of last years starting DEs went to another team and was replaced by a 3-4 OLB from a division rival, and one of our starting DTs is a question mark also new to the team.
Our offensive line is a patchwork inside and has little depth at tackle (its sole real strength.)
Our starting second year back coughed up a ball opponents ran back for a TD in 2 of his last 3 preseason games; behind him we have a rookie and a productive but often injured Moreno.

Compared to all that our passing game is almost uniformly cause for celebration.

Manning is Manning; whatever one thinks of his postseason performance he's always lethal in the regular season.
Thomas and Decker both spent all of last year transforming their 2011 potential into 2012 results (though Thomas did have some growing pains in the first few games.)
Welker is Welker.
Julius Thomas did well enough in preseason to beat out Tamme on the depth chart despite the latter productive 2012, and once healthy Dreesen should be as solid as ever both catching and blocking.
Receiving may be Morenos best quality, and Hillman did it adequately last year, while Ball had a few good catches in preseason as well.

I wish any of the rest of our team looked as good as our passing game; Welker will get his share, but "whoever's open" does sound like the right choice of go to guy, because someone usually will be; our main concern there is the line keeping Manning on his feet long enough to make a throw, but even there a delayed blitz inside is more worrisome than Doom coming around Clady.

Broncolingus
09-06-2013, 12:53 AM
I think it's safe to say he's become comfortable with the offense...

...now, he just needs to get 'comfortable' with fielding punts. ;)

BroncoWave
09-06-2013, 12:55 AM
He actually might still catch 100 balls this season. He's just always open.

ShaneFalco
09-06-2013, 01:02 AM
I heard that after NE beat Denver last year and exhausted the Broncos defense w/ their hurry-up that Denver copied NE's playbook and decided to go hurry up too.

https://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3493.134426.0009731242421/B7662556.6;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=728x90;pc=gdnCSYOt QcAAAA;dcove=r;ord=1681500575?