PDA

View Full Version : Rare dynamic: Elway, Manning form special bond

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2013, 11:44 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The dining room at Augusta National Golf Club should be the type of place where even the most recognizable of American sports royalty can blend in, enjoy a steak or some good old-fashioned Southern comfort food and a cocktail after a round of golf.

It's a buttoned-up place, where members and guests aren't typically fazed by the wealth or celebrity of their fellow diners.

In his half-dozen or so previous visits as a guest to Augusta, Denver Broncos coach John Fox has delighted in the golf and the dinner conversation, but he never saw anything like the scene in May, when he sat down to eat with his companions, who happened to be two of the best quarterbacks in NFL history.

As Peyton Manning and John Elway ate and drank and talked and laughed, they were approached, several times, by people wanting to pose for photographs.

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/09/05/john-elway-peyton-manning-special-bond-denver-broncos/2768129/?sf16861297=1

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Great read... I found this few sentences interesting since so many felt that "this QB" would get great tutoring and coaching help from Elway"...

Osweiler, one of two quarterbacks drafted by Elway since 2012, arrived in Denver expecting on-field tutoring from Elway and was surprised at first when Elway never sat in on meetings or offered input during practices. But that is by design. Among Elway's first decisions when he was hired to run the Broncos front office was he would stay out of the coaching, even with the quarterbacks.

"A lot of people think I coach these guys. I don't. I don't have that kind of time," Elway said. "(Quarterbacks coach) Greg Knapp and those guys are technically much better than I am as a coach. I'm more of the encourager."

The Glue Factory
09-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Great read... I found this few sentences interesting since so many felt that "this QB" would get great tutoring and coaching help from Elway"...

I'm shocked that anyone would think that Elway would take time to get on the field to do anything more than observe and encourage. If he does provide any kind of tips it would encroach on the coaches who were hired to do that job. As an employee I'd start asking myself why I was hired and what my future looks like after seeing my boss's, boss's, boss take over part of my duties.