PDA

View Full Version : Julius Thomas, Denver Broncos player, arrested for failing to appear in court

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Broncos player Julius Thomas was arrested in August after he failed to appear in Arapahoe County court for a traffic offense.

Thomas, 25, was charged with failing to yield to an emergency vehicle on Jan. 25, according to court records.

He was scheduled to appear in court for the misdemeanor charge on March 21. Thomas did not appear for the hearing.

According to state records, Thomas was arrested by Arapahoe County Sheriff's deputies on Aug. 28.

Thomas posted the $500 bond the same day he was arrested, according to court records.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_24022900/julius-thomas-denver-broncos-player-arrested-failing-appear

:tsk::tsk::tsk:

chazoe60
09-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Good Lord, our team is made up of children and idiots.

Northman
09-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I would laugh if it wasnt so pathetic.

MOtorboat
09-05-2013, 11:44 AM
lol

weazel
09-05-2013, 12:01 PM
since 2006 the average number of arrests or citations per NFL team is 12. Denver is 25, the highest in the league. It's a culture, laugh at the Raiders all you want but this team has had it's fill of douchebags

Bosco
09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
So he failed to show up for court as a result of a traffic citation, got arrested and made bail.

Yawn. Call me when something important happens.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 12:09 PM
a traffic violation. If this was any other profession, who would give a rat's ass?

Ziggy
09-05-2013, 12:09 PM
So he failed to show up for court as a result of a traffic citation, got arrested and made bail.

It's called immaturity and failure to respect the law. No, it's not as bad as murdering someone but it's still stupidity in it's own right. There's a pattern that has developed with this team, and it isn't a good one.

Northman
09-05-2013, 12:26 PM
It's called immaturity and failure to respect the law. No, it's not as bad as murdering someone but it's still stupidity in it's own right. There's a pattern that has developed with this team, and it isn't a good one.

Agreed.

Army Bronco
09-05-2013, 12:32 PM
I thought this was a joke thread for a second till I read it. Unbelievable.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 12:36 PM
I think the only pattern I'm seeing is that we have some bad drivers on the team.

rationalfan
09-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Agreed on the "pattern."

As for respecting the law, we all break laws. I'm not going to rip a guy for a traffic violation and missing a court date. He's not a moral leader, big deal.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't even think it shows poor morals, I think it shows that a guy is more focused on making the Denver Broncos at the start of the season, and a traffic violation slipped his mind.

MOtorboat
09-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't even think it shows poor morals, I think it shows that a guy is more focused on making the Denver Broncos at the start of the season, and a traffic violation slipped his mind.

Considering the traffic violation occurred in January and the court hearing in March, I'd say that would be a pretty poor excuse.

WTE
09-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Gangster in the Huddle.

The Glue Factory
09-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Thomas is a douche. Cut and replace immediately! :welcome:

dogfish
09-05-2013, 12:52 PM
people who don't pull over for emergency vehicles are selfish douchebags. . . i hope someone punches him in the face. . .

i also hope he scores three touchdowns tonight. . .

rationalfan
09-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Just read this on deadspin regarding redskins fans; it's a nice parody of fan expectations. Made me laugh.

WE LOVE YOU RGIII BUT NOW YOU MUST DIE FOR NOT BEING PERFECT. WE SHALL WEAR YOUR SKIN AT NIGHT.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Do you think it is ok that he did something to receive a traffic citation, then failed to show up for his court appearance, and because of that got arrested? I certainly do not.

jhns
09-05-2013, 01:06 PM
What a moron.

What's with these guys having court dates for traffic violations? Can't you just pay a fine? I thought you only went to court for this stuff if you wanted to contest it. I don't drive bad enough to know though.

Bosco
09-05-2013, 01:08 PM
a traffic violation. If this was any other profession, who would give a rat's ass?

Exactly.

That's Julius' problem, not mine. My ability to care about this is limited to the effect it has on the team, which is none.

Poet
09-05-2013, 01:08 PM
You guys have had quite the offseason.

Bosco
09-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Do you think it is ok that he did something to receive a traffic citation, then failed to show up for his court appearance, and because of that got arrested? I certainly do not.

Again, not my problem.

rationalfan
09-05-2013, 01:54 PM

i'm ambivalent about it. my opinion needs to be formed around context and details. right now we have virtually none.

my thing about these continued arrests/suspensions isn't absolving these players from blame because they're players on my favorite football team. rather, it's not holding them to a higher standard than i would have for an average human because they player on my favorite football team. these guys are not puritans, they're football players. why do we expect them to be anything more that? a percentage of them will make stupid or regrettable mistakes, just like a percentage of all humans will.

now if you (general sense, not you personally, carol) have a problem with your friend, sibling or self making these mistakes, fine. but often it feels like some fans are more critical of these players than they would be to friends/family/themselves.

Traveler
09-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Is anyone else concerned by all the off field incidents? For a team with so-called SB aspirations, their lack of focus in their personal lives is a distraction to their on-field endeavors. Wake the F*** up and stop all this BS. There are just too many incidents this offseason for my tastes.

If they haven't already, Bowlen, JE & Co. need to gather the entire organization together, and lay down the law! Just because they are professional athletes and team administrators doesn't give them the right to disobey the laws of the NFL or Colorado laws. I want laser like focus on winning another SB and less stories like these.

Northman
09-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Is anyone else concerned by all the off field incidents? For a team with so-called SB aspirations, their lack of focus in their personal lives is a distraction to their on-field endeavors. Wake the F*** up and stop all this BS. Their are just too many incidents this offseason for my tastes.

If they haven't already, Bowlen, JE & Co. need to gather the entire organization together, and lay down the law! Just because they are professional athletes and team administrators doesn't give them the right to disobey the laws of the NFL or Colorado laws. I want laser like focus on winning another SB and less stories like these.

I have no idea what you just posted. My focus was TOTALLY on that chick in your avy. My god.....

rationalfan
09-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Is anyone else concerned by all the off field incidents? For a team with so-called SB aspirations, their lack of focus in their personal lives is a distraction to their on-field endeavors. Wake the F*** up and stop all this BS. Their are just too many incidents this offseason for my tastes.

i get your point, but i'm not sure how much of a distraction these things are inside the locker room. i mean, if a player gets arrested, but maintains his composure at practice, doesn't miss meetings and doesn't treat his teammates/coaches like a scumbag, what's the big deal?

Tned
09-05-2013, 02:18 PM
I would laugh if it wasnt so pathetic.

Yea, either pay the fine, or if you want to contest it, actually show up.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 02:36 PM
now if you (general sense, not you personally, carol) have a problem with your friend, sibling or self making these mistakes, fine. but often it feels like some fans are more critical of these players than they would be to friends/family/themselves.

Bingo. If I have a friend of mine miss a traffic court date, and gets arested and has to pay a fine... I would probably laugh at him call him a dumbass. That's about it. Nothing more. I might buy him lunch since he just had to drop 500.

Tned
09-05-2013, 02:38 PM

I started to answer, but I keep getting distracted by your avvy.

chazoe60
09-05-2013, 02:41 PM
If my son was 25 and did this I would be disappointed and I would tell him so. It shows a lack of responsibility and maturity and that is the problem. Have I done something similar? Yep. Am I calling for JT's head? No. But, at some point these guys need to show some responsibility, it's disappointing to read these stories in the paper time and again. That's all. I don't think anyone is saying burn him at the stake.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 02:46 PM
I don't know that it was irresponsible or simply having more focus and responsibility to making the Broncos roster. :shrug: I just see a traffic violation and I'm not making more out if it than that. If my son did this, I wouldn't say I was "disappointed" in him... I would shake my head and say "that sure made that into an expensive ticket, huh? I bet you wish you paid that now" and let it go. Just how disappointed could I be in a kid I know and love for not paying a traffic fine? Personally, I save my disappointments in a 25 yr old man for something much more important. I would know that I've made the same kind of mistakes, he will make the same kind of mistakes, and that's just part of life. Oh well, I guess.

Poet
09-05-2013, 02:55 PM
I don't think you can pass off focus and being responsible for something like this. It's not a huge deal, I think it just sort of compounds the wacky offseason you guys had.

Northman
09-05-2013, 02:57 PM
I would probably laugh at him call him a dumbass.

Thats basically all people have said here..... :confused:

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 03:00 PM
I don't think you can pass off focus and being responsible for something like this. It's not a huge deal, I think it just sort of compounds the wacky offseason you guys had.

I agree. The "too focused" thing is stretching it, but at the same time, not unreasonable. I mean, it was a traffic ticket. Same with any other traffic ticket. It gets laid down, forgotten about, put in a drawer and the next thing you know (especially in a kid's life that is trying to make a professional football team) its past the date and you had completely forgotten about it. "Too focused" is a pretty lame way of putting it, but I can see that it certainly wasn't something that would be on his mind for concern or worry.

Weird to have it happen to two guys. Almost looks as though the Denver police force is getting stricter on bench warrants for traffic violations. I wonder what could have changed recently in Denver that would have made such actions to be warranted?? :confused:

Poet
09-05-2013, 03:04 PM
I agree. The "too focused" thing is stretching it, but at the same time, not unreasonable. I mean, it was a traffic ticket. Same with any other traffic ticket. It gets laid down, forgotten about, put in a drawer and the next thing you know (especially in a kid's life that is trying to make a professional football team) its past the date and you had completely forgotten about it. "Too focused" is a pretty lame way of putting it, but I can see that it certainly wasn't something that would be on his mind for concern or worry.

Weird to have it happen to two guys. Almost looks as though the Denver police force is getting stricter on bench warrants for traffic violations. I wonder what could have changed recently in Denver that would have made such actions to be warranted?? :confused:

I understand where you are coming from.

ShaneFalco
09-05-2013, 03:09 PM

seriously... what a joke.

Traffic court is a huge source of revenue here in Denver for the city, and i think the city abuses the shit out of it( alot more then other places i have lived). Ive had to deal with it a couple times since moving out here. Mostly every violation requires some type of court hearing now :(

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Thats basically all people have said here..... :confused:

Well, that and calling him an idiot, moron, douchebag, immature with "no respect for the law", and several other exaggerations. I don't really know why I get uptight about the responses on these situations other than it does bother me to see such HIGH exaggeration about something so small. I mean, there have been some funny responses like dog, and others. But I guess the "feel" around here is just to JUMP like pouncing cats and rip apart the tiniest things. :shrug: I dunno.

Jsteve01
09-05-2013, 03:27 PM
seriously... what a joke.

Traffic court is a huge source of revenue here in Denver for the city, and i think the city abuses the shit out of it( alot more then other places i have lived). Ive had to deal with it a couple times since moving out here. Mostly every violation requires some type of court hearing now :( Denver? denver has nothing on the east coast. Try getting a traffic or parking violation in Philly. As to this I think a hug part of the scrutiny is all the other bs that's gone one this offseason. In a normal year you wouldn't even bat an eye at this story. Be honest. Our sensitivity is way up/

Joel
09-05-2013, 03:32 PM

I agree with BOTH of you: Running a stop sign isn't a capital offense, but court dates aren't state secrets or difficult to make. It would be less of an issue if other Broncos hadn't also missed court dates for minor charges, but in that context it has the feel of guys who think exceptional athletic ability puts them above the law. Guess what: You're no longer a HS star in a tiny middle-of-nowhere town that has nothing else. In fact, you're not in HS at all; stop acting like it.

weazel
09-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Gangster in the Huddle.

damn did I laugh at this!

weazel
09-05-2013, 03:35 PM
I have no idea what you just posted. My focus was TOTALLY on that chick in your avy. My god.....

ha, thats what I high fived him for as well.

topscribe
09-05-2013, 03:46 PM
I think the only pattern I'm seeing is that we have some bad drivers on the team.
The arrest wasn't about driving. It was about going to court -- or, in this case, not going to court . . .

Northman
09-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Well, that and calling him an idiot, moron, douchebag, immature with "no respect for the law", and several other exaggerations. I don't really know why I get uptight about the responses on these situations other than it does bother me to see such HIGH exaggeration about something so small. I mean, there have been some funny responses like dog, and others. But I guess the "feel" around here is just to JUMP like pouncing cats and rip apart the tiniest things. :shrug: I dunno.

You should see what i say about Miley Cyrus and all she did was behave like a stripper. Its just messageboard. For all the people who complain that we over exaggerate there are people who take it too much to heart (as you stated) as well. If its not a big deal to people then just pass by the other posts and dont respond. I just find it funny that the complaints about other posters comments come from the same core group of posters who say it isnt a big deal. :lol:

Dapper Dan
09-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Good Lord, our team is made up of children and idiots.

They say a team reflects its fan base.

rationalfan
09-05-2013, 04:10 PM
You should see what i say about Miley Cyrus and all she did was behave like a stripper. Its just messageboard. For all the people who complain that we over exaggerate there are people who take it too much to heart (as you stated) as well. If its not a big deal to people then just pass by the other posts and dont respond. I just find it funny that the complaints about other posters comments come from the same core group of posters who say it isnt a big deal. :lol:

that goes both ways, man. people have differing perspectives, it happens. i get irked by the holier-than-thou stance or the quick-to-call-someone-an-idiot reaction (often through posts that appear to have been composed in idiotic fashions).

there's a sense of perceived hypocrisy that's rather off-putting (i'm not immunte to it, myself).

my biggest problem is, mostly, that i have a high standard for broncos fans. i hate going to sports bars and seeing them act as dumb or foolish as the raiders gang. it's my thing. i can admit that.

Dapper Dan
09-05-2013, 04:10 PM
people who don't pull over for emergency vehicles are selfish douchebags. . . i hope someone punches him in the face. . .

I agree to an extent. Once or twice I've not seen the emergency vehicle until it was too late for me to get over. I wasn't in the way, but I just didn't see it. I probably had my phone hooked up to my radio beating off to some Sasha Grey.

Northman
09-05-2013, 04:14 PM
that goes both ways, man. people have differing perspectives, it happens. i get irked by the holier-than-thou stance or the quick-to-call-someone-an-idiot reaction (often through posts that appear to have been composed in idiotic fashions).

there's a sense of perceived hypocrisy that's rather off-putting (i'm not immunte to it, myself).

my biggest problem is, mostly, that i have a high standard for broncos fans. i hate going to sports bars and seeing them act as dumb or foolish as the raiders gang. it's my thing. i can admit that.

Well, no offense RF but you are one of the biggest offenders when it comes to members acting "holier than thou" over everyone else acting like your shit dont stink. Funny thing is, its not like your an idiot but it always seems that you spend more time on here lecturing everyone else no how they should feel or post rather than actually comment on the issue of the thread.

dogfish
09-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Well, no offense RF but you are one of the biggest offenders when it comes to members acting "holier than thou" over everyone else acting like your shit dont stink. Funny thing is, its not like your an idiot but it always seems that you spend more time on here lecturing everyone else no how they should feel or post rather than actually comment on the issue of the thread.

hammer, meet nail. . .

:welcome:

LawDog
09-05-2013, 04:15 PM
The arrest wasn't about driving. It was about going to court -- or, in this case, not going to court . . .

In California, an appearance date on a traffic citation merely gives you the opportunity to contest the ticket. If you don't show, you are guilty by default and the fine is assessed. You can also just admit guilt by paying the fine prior to the date. If you don't show and don't pay, they don't bother issuing a bench warrant, they simply go about collecting the fine including putting a hold and/or suspending your license, and putting a hold on your vehicle registration so you can't renew it until the ticket is paid.

What kind of whacked out system is Colorado using where they allocate the resources of a police officer to arrest someone and take them to jail to post bond on a traffic ticket? Everyone can just leave their cars and houses unlocked and let their children run around unsupervised because there is apparently no "real" crime going on in Colorado...

Dapper Dan
09-05-2013, 04:17 PM
In California, an appearance date on a traffic citation merely gives you the opportunity to contest the ticket. If you don't show, you are guilty by default and the fine is assessed. You can also just admit guilt by paying the fine prior to the date. If you don't show and don't pay, they don't bother issuing a bench warrant, they simply go about collecting the fine including putting a hold and/or suspending your license, and putting a hold on your vehicle registration so you can't renew it until the ticket is paid.

What kind of whacked out system is Colorado using where they allocate the resources of a police officer to arrest someone and take them to jail to post bond on a traffic ticket? Everyone can just leave their cars and houses unlocked and let their children run around unsupervised because there is apparently no "real" crime going on in Colorado...

Everyone's high and loving life.

chazoe60
09-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Well, compared to the cesspool that is California, yeah.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Pffft. Whatever. The reason traffic court isn't exactly on the forefront of anyone's mind is because it deals with a traffic ticket....or...bad driving. I feel pretty confident that if the court date had anything to do with anything, he would have gone.

THEN, as LawDog just pointed out, other states have different laws that deal with traffic tickets. If you don't go, you simply pay the fine..no bench warrant, no "disrespect to the court system" :eyeroll: and not arrest. Its VERY feasible to accept the possibility that these guys grew up in areas that traffic tickets were treated the same as LawDog just explained, thus, not really giving it a second thought.

Now please, don't give me "ignorance of the law is no excuse"..because when you bring guys to work for any company from around the nation, I doubt ANYONE goes and looks up, and accustoms themselves with, the the laws of "traffic court".. before moving.

Traveler
09-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Okay, hope this is less of a distraction. :D

LawDog
09-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Well, compared to the cesspool that is California, yeah.

Wish I could argue with you there. We still have a couple of nice beaches and some mountain wilderness that hasn't burned up yet. But, our governor decided to open up the doors to the prisons and let 10's of thousands of felons loose on the streets, so the crime rate is kind of... skyrocketing.

Dapper Dan
09-05-2013, 04:30 PM
The only good thing California every produced was John Elway.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Okay, hope this is less of a distraction. :D

after seeing all the comments on your avi, I actually went and turned them back on so that I could get a look!!

LawDog
09-05-2013, 04:37 PM

And Reagan. And Mr. Zog's sexwax... http://www.tactics.com/mr-zogs

rationalfan
09-05-2013, 05:09 PM

of course, you're right.

i have my perspectives and ideals and i defend them or confront the ones i don't agree with - same as most people on here. again, part of my thing is reacting to fellow fan behavior i don't agree with. right or wrong, i'm compelled to do that moreso than wonder if running back x is going to be better than running back y. it bothers some people, others (at least a few) seem to find communion in it.

acting like my shit don't stink? i think that's perception more than fact. i have no problem admitting my shit stinks, i just don't always agree when others tell me my shit stinks. smell can be subjective.

rationalfan
09-05-2013, 05:10 PM

and tony hawk.

Buff
09-05-2013, 05:15 PM
In n Out Burger

Jsteve01
09-05-2013, 05:23 PM
The only good thing California every produced was John Elway. ever heard if Terrell davis?

Dapper Dan
09-05-2013, 05:28 PM
ever heard if Terrell davis?

He doesn't count.

LawDog
09-05-2013, 05:39 PM
He doesn't count.

How about Ryan Clady?

Dapper Dan
09-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Srsly guise. Jus shuddup.

Hawgdriver
09-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I'm discipline oriented but this doesn't move my needle. His dude needs to handle his ish a bit better, and the Broncos PR guy sucks is my reaction.

Dapper Dan
09-06-2013, 12:30 AM
He may not have shown up to court, but she showed up today.

Get it?

Broncolingus
09-06-2013, 12:46 AM
In n Out Burger

True-that!

weazel
09-06-2013, 12:50 AM
2 TD's, but then they noticed he was on the field and he was invisible... then Welker came alive.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-06-2013, 01:17 AM
JT's got some wheels for a big man. I don't see anyone taking the starting job from him.

dogfish
09-06-2013, 05:48 AM

but, i will settle for two, since it was his first start and all. . .

:defense:

Ravage!!!
09-06-2013, 09:17 AM
2 TD's, but then they noticed he was on the field and he was invisible... then Welker came alive.

I think one is a result of the other. Go to Thomas because more coverage on Welker, and the presence of Thomas opens things up for Welker.

weazel
09-06-2013, 09:50 AM
I think one is a result of the other. Go to Thomas because more coverage on Welker, and the presence of Thomas opens things up for Welker.

thats kinda what I was getting at. Makes it hard on the D when there are 5 legitimate threats. Although, Decker had a night to forget... the dropsies came back.

CoachChaz
09-06-2013, 09:52 AM
thats kinda what I was getting at. Makes it hard on the D when there are 5 legitimate threats. Although, Decker had a night to forget... the dropsies came back.

Did they ever leave?

Ravage!!!
09-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Eh.. I heard that last year and he had a great season. I'm not worried about Decker.

Northman
09-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Eh.. I heard that last year and he had a great season. I'm not worried about Decker.

Nor am i. Not everyone is going to have a stellar game. Im quite content with our starting 3.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Nor am i. Not everyone is going to have a stellar game. Im quite content with our starting 3.

Starting 4.... (since this is in a Julius Thomas thread)

Northman
09-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Starting 4.... (since this is in a Julius Thomas thread)

Noted. My bad. lol

CoachChaz
09-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Not sure what to do with JT on my office fantasy team when Gronk gets back

Dapper Dan
09-06-2013, 12:06 PM

When is Gronk suppose to be back?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-06-2013, 12:07 PM

Gronk will probably get a lot of targets...

CoachChaz
09-06-2013, 12:22 PM
When is Gronk suppose to be back?

I think week 3 is the current target since he's been practicing

Gronk will probably get a lot of targets...

Yeah, I think Gronk will be more of a focal point for the Pats than JT will be. My work league allows TE at flex, so maybe that will work out some weeks.