PDA

View Full Version : which Broncos RB will have the hot hand vs the Ravens??

Army Bronco
09-04-2013, 09:58 PM
I feel as though Knowshon will be the RB who ends up taking most of the snaps. Thoughts??

EMB6903
09-04-2013, 10:37 PM
I see ball emerging as the #1 rb on this team. Once he gets his reps and a feel for this level he's going to break out.

Jsteve01
09-04-2013, 11:32 PM
I see ball emerging as the #1 rb on this team. Once he gets his reps and a feel for this level he's going to break out.this

Army Bronco
09-04-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm hoping Ball steps up and becomes the #1 guy but I think Moreno would be the better back for this game. If he stays healthy.

underrated29
09-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Knowshon for this game. Montee by season end is bowss.

Pudge
09-05-2013, 12:17 AM
I think moreno is number one by the end of the year

ballhawk
09-05-2013, 12:48 AM
I honestly don't think the Broncos are going to have much success on the ground against the Ravens. Ozzie Newsome put a lot of work into upgrading that defense this year. They brought in Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Doom, Darryl Smith, and drafted standout MLB Arthur Brown. Their front seven is loaded and very deep. Its really going to be up to #18 in this one.

Magnificent Seven
09-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Personally, I don't want Ronnie Hillman on the field. We CAN'T afford to fumble the ball. Start Moreno and give some balls to Montee Ball.

Magnificent Seven
09-05-2013, 01:14 AM
I honestly don't think the Broncos are going to have much success on the ground against the Ravens. Ozzie Newsome put a lot of work into upgrading that defense this year. They brought in Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Doom, Darryl Smith, and drafted standout MLB Arthur Brown. Their front seven is loaded and very deep. Its really going to be up to #18 in this one.

Our linemen are over 6'4. Clady is '66, Beadles is 6'4, Ramirez is 6'4, Vasquez is 6'5. and Franklin is 6'7. We got powerful offensive linemen and they are like a "Bulldozer." Good enough to protect Manning.

Army Bronco
09-05-2013, 01:51 AM
Personally, I don't want Ronnie Hillman on the field. We CAN'T afford to fumble the ball. Start Moreno and give some balls to Montee Ball.This!!

Joker56
09-05-2013, 03:20 AM
Hell with IT !
All 3 of those guys will each have over 225 feet of total offence ....

:elefant::elefant::elefant::beer::elefant::elefant ::elefant: :salute:

Northman
09-05-2013, 04:35 AM
Personally, I don't want Ronnie Hillman on the field. We CAN'T afford to fumble the ball. Start Moreno and give some balls to Montee Ball.

Unfortunately Moreno coughs up the ball a lot too. I agree with Ballhawk, i think Manning will have to outscore the Ravens through the air to win this.

SR
09-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Unfortunately Moreno coughs up the ball a lot too. I agree with Ballhawk, i think Manning will have to outscore the Ravens through the air to win this.

Moreno did pretty well protecting the ball after Willis got hurt last season.

TXBRONC
09-05-2013, 06:18 AM
Hillman will have the hot hand. :D

Northman
09-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Moreno did pretty well protecting the ball after Willis got hurt last season.

Small stretch of games. He's been far too inconsistent in his career to declare him the go ahead guy.

Dapper Dan
09-05-2013, 07:09 AM
I'd be happy if Moreno, Ball, and Hillman got about 60-70 yards each.

Spartan
09-05-2013, 07:31 AM
I honestly don't think the Broncos are going to have much success on the ground against the Ravens. Ozzie Newsome put a lot of work into upgrading that defense this year. They brought in Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Doom, Darryl Smith, and drafted standout MLB Arthur Brown. Their front seven is loaded and very deep. Its really going to be up to #18 in this one.This is why I'm proud to be a fan with a fanbase constituting this: the Raven boards never, from what I've seen, carry comments of reasoned analysis about their opponents. This revamped defense of theirs looks more promising than not, for sure, but they could easily take a step back before molding into what the potential may manifest - and going up against #18 for their 1st real test is not a good way for them to mold in through some trial and error and not get burned occasionally. Overall, Manning vs the Ravens' secondary and LBs is more favorable to the Broncos than the advantage their DL will be in handling our O (adding Wes Welker into the slot is much more streamlined than the Ravens adding multiple starters on their defense). I think Clady & Co., combined with Peyton's superb impromptu abilities amid the action, can protect him enough to exploit a very good - possibly stellar - passing attack. Given what he can do, it's probably better to defend against Peyton with coverage rather than blitzing, and in this case for the Ravens that would be worse; their secondary is certainly not part of the 'new model' great defense they are very confiedent about.

Remember, Moreno had a good game against them last December (remember the vaunted hurdle over Ed Reed?). He can be utilized as a receiver out of the backfield and for pass-blocking protection. Ball could get called on for 1st and 2nd downs; Hillman is faster with more big-play capacity. I think it'll be the balanced 'committee'. A hot hand will not surprisingly come from any one of the three.

I'm going to stay in and watch this one - I want to pay attention to everything!

GO BRONCOS!!

James :)

ballhawk
09-05-2013, 09:06 AM
This is why I'm proud to be a fan with a fanbase constituting this: the Raven boards never, from what I've seen, carry comments of reasoned analysis about their opponents. This revamped defense of theirs looks more promising than not, for sure, but they could easily take a step back before molding into what the potential may manifest - and going up against #18 for their 1st real test is not a good way for them to mold in through some trial and error and not get burned occasionally. Overall, Manning vs the Ravens' secondary and LBs is more favorable to the Broncos than the advantage their DL will be in handling our O (adding Wes Welker into the slot is much more streamlined than the Ravens adding multiple starters on their defense). I think Clady & Co., combined with Peyton's superb impromptu abilities amid the action, can protect him enough to exploit a very good - possibly stellar - passing attack. Given what he can do, it's probably better to defend against Peyton with coverage rather than blitzing, and in this case for the Ravens that would be worse; their secondary is certainly not part of the 'new model' great defense they are very confiedent about.

Remember, Moreno had a good game against them last December (remember the vaunted hurdle over Ed Reed?). He can be utilized as a receiver out of the backfield and for pass-blocking protection. Ball could get called on for 1st and 2nd downs; Hillman is faster with more big-play capacity. I think it'll be the balanced 'committee'. A hot hand will not surprisingly come from any one of the three.

I'm going to stay in and watch this one - I want to pay attention to everything!

GO BRONCOS!!

Check out Russell Street Report. Its a good Ravens forum.

You make s good point about Manning vs Ravens secondary. Ravens will need to get pressure with front 4 to have a chance. They held Manning to 21 points in the playoffs playing a cover 2 predominantly out of the nickel. Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard played the back end great and took away the deep throws from Manning. Now both of those guys are gone. They have Huff and Ihedigbo (career backup)/Elam (rookie) back there now. They are going to miss Ed Reed.

underrated29
09-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Check out Russell Street Report. Its a good Ravens forum.

You make s good point about Manning vs Ravens secondary. Ravens will need to get pressure with front 4 to have a chance. They held Manning to 21 points in the playoffs playing a cover 2 predominantly out of the nickel. Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard played the back end great and took away the deep throws from Manning. Now both of those guys are gone. They have Huff and Ihedigbo (career backup)/Elam (rookie) back there now. They are going to miss Ed Reed.

It's more than that IMO. Once knowshon got hurt the game changed. They didn't stand a chance and were constantly getting driven upon until he went out. Only then could they get to Peyton and only then could we not run the ball and pick up shirt yardage. Their new defense etc. who cares ? They couldn't stop the old offense until we lost our rb. We e got two big ones now and welker. The ravens will have to score 50 to wi .

For the record, I do really like their dl. Canty, ngata, Cody, Suggs, that is freaking sexy.

TXBRONC
09-05-2013, 09:21 AM
It's more than that IMO. Once knowshon got hurt the game changed. They didn't stand a chance and were constantly getting driven upon until he went out. Only then could they get to Peyton and only then could we not run the ball and pick up shirt yardage. Their new defense etc. who cares ? They couldn't stop the old offense until we lost our rb. We e got two big ones now and welker. The ravens will have to score 50 to wi .

For the record, I do really like their dl. Canty, ngata, Cody, Suggs, that is freaking sexy.

He averaged just 3.2 yards per carry. Hillman average 3.8 per carry.

underrated29
09-05-2013, 09:24 AM
So?

Hillman got manning killed and couldn't pick up the short stuff. Everyone agrees that the game changed when knowshon got hurt.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Everyone. I love that statement. It's like when someone says "My opinion is undeniable."

Spartan
09-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks ballhawk. I need to be careful not to come across hypocritical; my problem with the Ravens boards stems from the specific and isolated readings of many of their black sheep of fans, which every team has. They are the champs and have a supreme GM making astute moves. Why shouldn't they be pretty confident It's not like they are, say, the Raiders!)? It seems odd though, before any close scrutiny, that many of them profess they are without doubt better than last year after losng 9 starters from that SB team.

...They held Manning to 21 points in the playoffs playing a cover 2 predominantly out of the nickel...True, but the Holliday special teams TDs need not be labeled as 'gifts' (not that you are stating so here now); if the Broncos had been stopped on those returns at their own 20-30 yd line - as would be the 'norm' - it's not unlikely at all that points would have come anyway. The Broncos moved the ball very well in that game (30 1st downs to the Ravens' 21, etc.).

Moreover, I was cherry picking; the flip side is when the Ravens have the ball, I don't like how we match up against their OL. Maybe Wolfe, known for his versatility, can close the void many seem is huge with the loss of Dumervil. While not lacking merit, it's interesting how - all of a sudden - many Raven apologists intimate (they could claim "I never said that") that the departures of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed is not such a big loss after all.

It's all perspective and on paper right now. Maybe Julius Thomas, apparently healthy, will play great, hence "Orange Julius" for the near future! Maybe Cromartie will be all over Torrey Smith. Are Ngata, Dumervil, Cody and Suggs that great already (or am I intimidated by all the net talk of their apologia)? I live in NYC, and by default follow the Giants a little - trust me, Cody was never that lauded (solid, but not indispensable). After all, all these great additions of Ozzie Newsome's were 'let go' (however circumstantial); it's not like he has a magic wand! They need to mold over a few regular season games if they are indeed the 'best DL' in the league (verbatim from the Ravens boards - they are not as good as the 49ers until proven otherwise on the field). Going up against Peyton at home for the opener, with what he potentially has in a passing attack - why are they so confident??

In a particular play in the SB - when he missed Crabtree and Randy Moss open in the end zone (Crabtree had both hands on the ball) - the mobile Kaepernick swiftly moved forward, totally leaving Suggs, who seemed to have a sack, in the lurch. The next play, Kruger - another very good player the Ravens lost - sacked Kaepernick, although he lined up in the neutral zone, thus giving him a split second to get the jump on the O lineman. Ooops - I gotta get over all those calls the Ravens benefited from last postseason!

TXBRONC
09-05-2013, 09:33 AM
So?

Hillman got manning killed and couldn't pick up the short stuff. Everyone agrees that the game changed when knowshon got hurt.

Everyone agrees that game changed when Moreno when out? No. I'm pretty sure Denver had the lead with about three minutes left in the game. I'm also pretty sure many if not most people have blamed Moore for the loss not the fact we didn't pick up first down on the possesion immediately following Ravens tying up the game late in the fourth quarter.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks ballhawk. I need to be careful not to come across hypocritical; my problem with the Ravens boards stems from the specific and isolated readings of many of their black sheep of fans, which every team has. They are the champs and have a supreme GM making astute moves. Why shouldn't they be confident? It seems odd though, before any close scrutiny, that they think they are without doubt better than last year after losng 9 starters from that SB team.

Moreover, I was cherry picking; the flip side is when the Ravens have the ball, I don't like how we match up against their OL. Maybe Wolfe, known for his versatility, can close the void many seem is huge with the loss of Dumervil. While not lacking merit, it's interesting how - all of a sudden - many Raven apologists intimate (they could claim "I never said that") that the departures of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed is not such a big loss after all.

It's all perspective and on paper right now. Maybe Julius Thomas, apparently healthy, will play great, hence "Orange Julius" for the near future! Maybe Cromartie will be all over Torrey Smith. Are Ngata, Dumervil, Cody and Suggs that great? I live in NYC, and by default follow the Giants a little - trust me, Cody was never that lauded (solid, but not indispensable). After all, all these great additions of Ozzie Newsome's were 'let go' (however circumstantial); it's not like he has a magic wand! They need to mold over a few regular season games if they are indeed the 'best DL' in the league (verbatim from the Ravens boards - they are not as good as the 49ers until proven otherwise on the field). Going up against Peyton at home for the opener, with what he potentially has in a passing attack - why are they so confident??

In a particular play in the SB - when he missed Crabtree and Randy Moss open in the end zone (Crabtree had both hands on the ball) - the mobile Kaepernick swiftly moved forward, totally leaving Suggs, who seemed to have a sack, in the lurch. The next play, Kruger - another very good player the Ravens lost - sacked Kaepernick, although he lined up in the neutral zone, thus giving him a split second to get the jump on the O lineman. Ooops - I gotta get over all those calls the Ravens benefited from last postseason!

I think the largest advantage we have is THEIR offense. Outside of Rice, they dont' have a player that worries me. Flacco has never been good other than the last 4 games of the playoffs. Before that, he usually is just so very middle of the road. His passing completion is very average if not low, and his two best targets are gone. Rice will be their pony, and we HAVE to do a better job against him than we did the last match up.

But if we put up points early, and if Manning moves that offense like he was in the first half, again, in this first half... putting up points and forcing Flacco to throw. Then that's to our advantage. Flacco is NOT a good QB and we WANT him throwing the ball.

Right now, our pass rush obviously isn't as strong without Von and Doom.... thats a bug "duh." But not every team has a Von and they seem to be able to play defense. I know I believe in our DC, because he's proved to be FANTASTIC in what he does.

EastCoastBronco
09-05-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm tired of Moreno.
The guy has had a thousand and one chances.
I hope Ball or Hillman will rise to the occasion tonight although I think it will be a tough road against the Ravens D.
I don't think they are as "depleted" as the pundits are making them out to be.

Spartan
09-05-2013, 09:56 AM
I think the largest advantage we have is THEIR offense. Outside of Rice, they dont' have a player that worries me. Flacco has never been good other than the last 4 games of the playoffs. Before that, he usually is just so very middle of the road. His passing completion is very average if not low, and his two best targets are gone. Rice will be their pony, and we HAVE to do a better job against him than we did the last match up.

But if we put up points early, and if Manning moves that offense like he was in the first half, again, in this first half... putting up points and forcing Flacco to throw. Then that's to our advantage. Flacco is NOT a good QB and we WANT him throwing the ball.

Right now, our pass rush obviously isn't as strong without Von and Doom.... thats a bug "duh." But not every team has a Von and they seem to be able to play defense. I know I believe in our DC, because he's proved to be FANTASTIC in what he does.Mmm. That's a good rundown. I was absorbed too much about the pass rush, which I hope isn't prioritized. Flacco deserves his laurels from the post-season, but, indeed, there will be no jaw-dropping if he stumbles back to a slightly better than average QB. His run was superb, and I'm not going to state 'lucky', but he's bound to go through some bad downs, get sacked and intercepted multiply very soon! Peyton is the only player, IMHO, on the field tonight whose presence or lack of would change the prospects of the game dramatically.

underrated29
09-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Everyone agrees that game changed when Moreno when out? No. I'm pretty sure Denver had the lead with about three minutes left in the game. I'm also pretty sure many if not most people have blamed Moore for the loss not the fact we didn't pick up first down on the possesion immediately following Ravens tying up the game late in the fourth quarter.

Start a poll then.

You are right. However, it wasnt until knowshon got hurt that our offense totally went inept. It was not until knowshon got hurt that the ravens even sacked manning or got pressure. Don't let your knowshon hate blind you. It was clear. Crystal clear to anyone who watched the game that the tables turned the instant he went out.

Dzone
09-05-2013, 10:17 AM
I dont care who runs the ball as long as they run hard , dont fumble and give at least 4.5 ypc

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Start a poll then.

You are right. However, it wasnt until knowshon got hurt that our offense totally went inept. It was not until knowshon got hurt that the ravens even sacked manning or got pressure. Don't let your knowshon hate blind you. It was clear. Crystal clear to anyone who watched the game that the tables turned the instant he went out.

You mean because our #1 and #2 RBs were out of the game, the offense was more 1 dimensional? of course. Moreno was already the back-up, and he went down (again) and a loss of a RB will always hurt. However, that was Hillman's rookie season and is a much more improved back already this season (yes yes, I know everyone is crying about his pre-season fumbles). So I don't think Moreno is the "key" to our running attack as we have already drafted someone to take his place. We aren't as depleted in the backfield without Moreno as we were in the playoffs last season since we were already down our #1 back.

But don't go into this "everyone agrees" stuff. That doesn't add credence to your opinion by trying to add "everyone" to back you up.

Dapper Dan
09-05-2013, 10:22 AM
I dont care who runs the ball as long as they run hard , dont fumble and give at least 4.5 ypc

Brock Osweiler.

TXBRONC
09-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Start a poll then.

Knock off the blind hate bull shit comments because it's not true. I don't hate the guy. It's crystal clear? My ass go look at drive from the game. There were only two three and out drives by the Broncos for the entire game.

underrated29
09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
You mean because our #1 and #2 RBs were out of the game, the offense was more 1 dimensional? of course. Moreno was already the back-up, and he went down (again) and a loss of a RB will always hurt. However, that was Hillman's rookie season and is a much more improved back already this season (yes yes, I know everyone is crying about his pre-season fumbles). So I don't think Moreno is the "key" to our running attack as we have already drafted someone to take his place. We aren't as depleted in the backfield without Moreno as we were in the playoffs last season since we were already down our #1 back.

But don't go into this "everyone agrees" stuff. That doesn't add credence to your opinion by trying to add "everyone" to back you up.

Rav, what the hell are you talking about? Is isn't about Hillman being young or fumbling this year or anything else. I my first post I mentioned we will have to big backs for this game....in any event we were talking about last year, the precise moment when the game changed. The apex of our downfall happened exactly when knowshon got hurt. And everyone does agree, those who won't lie to themselves about what they see, that is. As I said a minute ago. When he went down our offense sucked, when he went down Peyton started getting sacked. These are facts.
This year we do not have to worry about ti. W have knowshon, we have ball, and Hillman has been doing fantastic in the pass pro dept. I've tweeted as much from tc. So, I am not worried in this department. I still foresee those big backs getting more touches than Ronnie in is game. If not then that means that Ronnie is beasting which is even better for us.

I think we have to score a bunch as I don't see our defense dong all that well with all our guys hurt.

underrated29
09-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Knock off blind hate bull shit comments because it's not true. I don't hate the guy. It's crystal clear? My ass go look at drive from the game. There were only two three and out drives by the Broncos for the entire game.

And go look at when we sputtered and Peyton got sacked. Tx, I like you, you're a good poster and a good fan, but you are way off here. Way off!

TXBRONC
09-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Sounds good to me. If they can average 4.0 or more the offense should be fine.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 10:31 AM
the apex of our falling.. everyone agrees...

TXBRONC
09-05-2013, 10:34 AM
And go look at when we sputtered and Peyton got sacked. Tx, I like you, you're a good poster and a good fan, but you are way off here. Way off!

No I'm not way off. One I watched the game I know what happened. Two the only thing you can refer is a sack? Yeah that really proved your point.

underrated29
09-05-2013, 10:50 AM
the apex of our falling.. everyone agrees...

Name any other turning point in the game that started our demise.....it all comes back to losing our rb.

No I'm not way off. One I watched the game I know what happened. Two the only thing you can refer is a sack? Yeah that really proved your point.

You are my friend. The offense couldn't do jack after that. Manning started getting hit and sacked after that. The only thing you can point to is Hillman had a slightly higher ypc....

turftoad
09-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm sure the coach's know what they are doing. Myself, I think it should be Moreno for this game. The other two are still unproven in my book. I wasn't impressed much with Hillman last year. That said, he's got a year under his belt and has gained weight. Ball is a rook and hasn't looked in pass protection.
As much as Moreno has had his up and downs, he's the best pass protector and has the most experience of the three. I like him early in the season with the other two comming on mid season.

Mike
09-05-2013, 10:54 AM

You don't think the offense looked different when Moreno went out? It was noticable. Denver wins if Moreno doesn't get hurt. But when doesn't he get hurt? Meh, when healthy, he is the best all-around back on the roster...right now.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-05-2013, 11:04 AM
You don't think the offense looked different when Moreno went out? It was noticable. Denver wins if Moreno doesn't get hurt. But when doesn't he get hurt? Meh, when healthy, he is the best all-around back on the roster...right now.

I would have to agree with that. I thought the main reason we struggled in the passing game in the second half was the backs couldn't pick up the blitz. Moreno is an excellent 3rd down back.

TXBRONC
09-05-2013, 11:22 AM

Moreno isn't the reason the Ravens scored 38 points. Maybe it changes the outcome but there is no way to know that for sure. We did have the lead with about 3 mintues left on the clock.

Northman
09-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Im not a Moreno fan by any means but the offense did look a lot different when he went down. At that point the Ravens just pinned their ears back and came after Peyton. If not for Holliday the game would not of been close.

Bosco
09-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Moreno. Hillman and Ball are weak blockers and receivers.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Im not a Moreno fan by any means but the offense did look a lot different when he went down. At that point the Ravens just pinned their ears back and came after Peyton. If not for Holliday the game would not of been close.

Well, I'm not sure about that. The offense was moving the ball VERy well in the first half. Holliday went for a TD, but that took the ball out of Manning's hands. Could Manning have scored on those drives had he been given the chance? Absolutely, especially how things were moving in our direction.. not to mention, that would have eaten more clock, thus given the Ravens more pressure to score in a hurry (which would have changed their offense completely in other series)...and not given time at the end of the game for the long balls.

Although I would never choose to take the points off the board that Holliday gave, I'm not convinced that the speed of which those TDs came, helped us.

tomjonesrocks
09-05-2013, 12:23 PM
I definitely think you have to give Moreno the bulk of the work tonight. As overrated as his pass blocking is--he's the most reliable at that on this team--and a likely sack/strip/fumble would be far worse than losing the yard difference in YPC you might get from featuring Ball.

I'd pick a different game against a lesser opponent to try out Ball's pass blocking progress.

broncofaninfla
09-05-2013, 12:38 PM
I think Moreno will get the bulk of the carries tonight. Hillman fumbled his chance at being "the guy" and Moreno is more experinced at pass protection. I'm guessing we'll see Ball mixed in there as well and more as the seaosn progesses but I wouldn't be suprised if Moreno fills the role they hoped Hillamn would fill until Ball is ready to take the bulk of the carries. Regardless I think we'll be a running back by commitee team again this year.

LTC Pain
09-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Hillman needs to wear gloves soaked in Super Glue to get any carries tonight!

dogfish
09-05-2013, 02:05 PM
heavy dose of moreno tonight. . .

cj anderson for the stretch run, bitches. . . :D

Hawgdriver
09-05-2013, 02:19 PM

I agree.

underrated29
09-05-2013, 02:20 PM
I've seen it reported a few places that Moreno will start tonight.

LTC Pain
09-05-2013, 02:29 PM
I've seen it reported a few places that Moreno will start tonight.

No, you've seen it "speculated" in a few places that Moreno may start tonight.

Army Bronco
09-05-2013, 02:29 PM
I've seen it reported a few places that Moreno will start tonight.Serious?? That's interesting since they named Hillman. I wonder if it was to deceive or just had second thought due to something Fox saw in practice.

Ravage!!!
09-05-2013, 02:39 PM

I'm surprised he didn't say that EVERYONE agrees with him and is reporting that Moreno will start tonight.

LTC Pain
09-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Serious?? That's interesting since they named Hillman. I wonder if it was to deceive or just had second thought due to something Fox saw in practice.

1) Who is "they"?
2) Please provide a link to "they" naming Hillman as starter tonight

Joel
09-05-2013, 03:22 PM
I feel as though Knowshon will be the RB who ends up taking most of the snaps. Thoughts??
Agreed. He currently appears our most complete back, by far. Several people quoted our coaches saying Jeremiah Johnson was the best pure runner in camp, but he didn't even make the roster, let alone start; coaches want more. When healthy Moreno's a solid if rarely remarkable runner, but very good picking up the blitz and catching flat passes, both of which are valuable in any offense, and vital in Mannings.

A lot of it's just gameplanning: Opposing coaches know which Broncos backs can't block and/or catch as well as our fans (probably better than most.) When they see a guy like that come in on 1st and 10 they know they can sell out on the run becasue we wouldn't dare put him on the field for a pass. When they stuff him and we rotate in a good blocker/receiver who can't run on 2nd and 8, they're just as certain we're passing. Obviously we won't win games telegraphing playcalls to defenses all day, so versatility beats one-dimensional excellence in the backfield.

That's where Morenos experience and record gives him the edge. We might see more of Ball later in the year once he's found his pro legs, or Hillman if he stops scoring TDs for the wrong team, but both are young and still have much to learn about the difference between college and the pros. They'll get their chances (Hillman did last year, in part due to McGahee and Morenos injuries,) but I don't expect either to excel at every aspect of the game yet, nor get much playing time till they do. Maybe I'm wrong; I'd love Ball to be the next Peterson—but wouldn't bet on it this year.

weazel
09-05-2013, 03:40 PM
which Broncos RB will gain over 500 yards this season?

underrated29
09-05-2013, 03:41 PM

Is that any different then what I said?

underrated29
09-05-2013, 03:42 PM

All. Knowshon might be the only one not too. Injuries you know

Dapper Dan
09-05-2013, 03:43 PM

Brock Oweiler.

underrated29
09-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm surprised he didn't say that EVERYONE agrees with him and is reporting that Moreno will start tonight.

I didn't report it. Just posted I saw two places say it. Rather surprising since Hillman is/was starter entire time. Not surprised you haven't pulled the stick out your ass though. But then again you were wrong earlier and still won't let it go. So who knows, right.

dogfish
09-05-2013, 03:47 PM
1) Who is "they"?
2) Please provide a link to "they" naming Hillman as starter tonight

he's been listed as the starter at the depth chart on the team site for a while now. . .

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/depth-chart.html

Broncolingus
09-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Between the three, I'd love to see Denver run for 250-300 yards in this game and have Manning pass about 15 times...

...especially against the Ravens on national TV.

topscribe
09-05-2013, 03:52 PM

I don't know where you got that. Moreno had one (1) fumble last year (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoreKn00.htm).

weazel
09-05-2013, 03:54 PM
All. Knowshon might be the only one not too. Injuries you know

All...together

Northman
09-05-2013, 04:08 PM
I don't know where you got that. Moreno had one (1) fumble last year (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoreKn00.htm).

He also sat out most of the season. And i was talking over a course of his career.

Joel
09-05-2013, 06:25 PM
A LOT of people, both then and since, blamed us not picking up that first down. The conventional wisdom was Foxball lost the game with three straight runs instead of relying on Mannings arm; the firestorm was hot enough that, IIRC, just after the game PFM publicly said the third down run was his call. It was the right call, too: With the Ravens out of time outs it ran the clock down to <1:00, forcing them to go the length of the field for a TD in 0:40; it's not the offenses fault one of the NFLs top statistical defenses in 2012 couldn't play Prevent for half a minute.

Moreno isn't the reason the Ravens scored 38 points. Maybe it changes the outcome but there is no way to know that for sure. We did have the lead with about 3 mintues left on the clock.
We had the lead with 0:40 on the clock, too; unfortunately, we didn't have the BALL anymore. Getting just one first down on our last drive and following it with 3 runs for 3 yards is a big part of why. Maybe folks saying we shouldn't thrown are right (though the Ravens wouldn't have burned their last 2 time outs if we had,) but who's our sixth pass blocker if we do? Hillman; all roads lead to him on our final regulation drive.

He also sat out most of the season. And i was talking over a course of his career.
Okay, so he's had 9 in 4 seasons and 605 attempts. Not great, but not horrible, and all but 2 were in his first 2 years; since then he's had just 1 each of the last 2 years (though admittedly playing less.)

Just for the record, I'm not singling anyone out here, nor saying Moreno's the next Payton. He's just more reliable overall than a talented rookie or second year back weak in protection. Maybe in a few months when they've got more pro experience and he's got more recent wear that'll change, but half an hour from now I'd have to go with Moreno.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2013, 09:38 AM
I didn't report it. Just posted I saw two places say it. Rather surprising since Hillman is/was starter entire time. Not surprised you haven't pulled the stick out your ass though. But then again you were wrong earlier and still won't let it go. So who knows, right.

:lol: