PDA

View Full Version : The "other" Rahim Moore: Tony Carter eyes redemption in Ravens rematch

Denver Native (Carol)
09-03-2013, 07:48 PM
OK, let's get this out of the way first — Tony Carter Rahim Moore'd the "Rahim Moore play," too.

Everyone remembers the flailing Moore letting Jacoby Jones get past him for a 70-yard touchdown that tied the Ravens-Broncos playoff game late in regulation last winter. What many forget is that Carter, the cornerback, was supposed to jam Jones before he got through the five-yard blocking zone, and then follow him down the sideline. Neither happened.

"As a competitor, you always think about plays you didn't make," Carter said Tuesday. "There are no do-overs in football, that's one thing, especially being a defensive back. There are no do-overs, you don't get a chance to say, 'Hold on, I wasn't ready,' or anything like that. You just have to move forward, it's a new season, they're the Super Bowl champs and we're going to come out and give a great effort."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci_24006507/other-rahim-moore-tony-carter-eyes-redemption-ravens

Northman
09-04-2013, 02:42 AM
Lets just hope the entire team shows up this time.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Lets just hope the entire team shows up this time.

Let's also hope the officials in this game know what holding is.

vandammage13
09-04-2013, 09:37 AM
I thought the other "Rahim Moore" from the Ravens game was PM

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-04-2013, 09:53 AM
I thought the other "Rahim Moore" from the Ravens game was PM

No, it was the guy in the backfield in the second half that didn't know how to pick up the blitz

Buff
09-04-2013, 09:56 AM
The media desperately wants everyone to forgive Rahim Moore.

dogfish
09-04-2013, 10:03 AM

people will still be making excuses for that shit twenty years from now. . .

Rex
09-04-2013, 10:33 AM
I wonder who else they can blame for Rahim Moore NOT being deep and NOT letting anyone get behind him.

slim
09-04-2013, 10:35 AM

It's bizarre.

slim
09-04-2013, 10:39 AM
If he makes a big play tomorrow, the media will gobble his **** for it. Like that somehow makes it all OK.

Buff
09-04-2013, 10:40 AM
If he makes a big play tomorrow, the media will gobble his **** for it. Like that somehow makes it all OK.

I can't wait for all the stories about his impressive perseverance in the face of adversity. What character.

chazoe60
09-04-2013, 10:41 AM

If he introduces himself as Rahim "The Dream" Moore Imma break stuff and kill things.

Nomad
09-04-2013, 10:42 AM
people will still be making excuses for that shit twenty years from now. . .

And it looks like 20 yrs from now we'll have the same whiners:lol:

Rex
09-04-2013, 10:44 AM
I can't wait for all the stories about his impressive perseverance in the face of adversity. What character.

Yeah the whole...."Rahim Moore didnt take vacation, he was in the gym the day after". Well, he should have been at effing practice with the rest of the damn team if he didnt put his head in his ass to keep his ears warm the day before!

Rex
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
If he introduces himself as Rahim "The Dream" Moore Imma break stuff and kill things.

Yeah. I thought I had a bad effing dream about him.....but turned out it was real.

Timmy!
09-04-2013, 10:49 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2006503/rahimno.gif

Rahim has a hell of a lot to make up for.

slim
09-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Oh good....I haven't seen that play enough times.

Rex
09-04-2013, 10:50 AM
How the hell does that happen????. Still blows my mind every time I see it.

Timmy!
09-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Oh good....I haven't seen that play enough times.

After tomorrow I hope it is just a bad memory.....of a safety making the worst play in the history of time.

slim
09-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Dumbest non-play ever.

slim
09-04-2013, 10:53 AM
After tomorrow I hope it is just a bad memory.....of a safety making the worst play in the history of time.

It is already just a bad memory. Tomorrow can't fix/change that.

Timmy!
09-04-2013, 10:57 AM
It is already just a bad memory. Tomorrow can't fix/change that.

True, but maybe we can get rid of some demons........or Rahim will have another colossal **** up and we can burn him at the stake.

tubby
09-04-2013, 10:59 AM
make it stop

dogfish
09-04-2013, 11:04 AM
I wonder who else they can blame for Rahim Moore NOT being deep and NOT letting anyone get behind him.

probably global warming and big pharma. . .

we live in a different world these days, rex. . . i grew up an hour south of cleveland, and i don't think i've ever heard anyone make an excuse for ernest byner. . .

rationalfan
09-04-2013, 11:08 AM
ftw, this BS again.

here's a glimpse of a possible future: the broncos win three straight super bowls starting this season - with the third featuring oz as the QB. after the third win, this board is contaminated with posts like this, "should have been four, moore is a moron."

people, let it go. makes me think a population of this board still has posters of michael dean perry on their walls with a bullseye painted over his head.

Northman
09-04-2013, 11:16 AM
people, let it go. makes me think a population of this board still has posters of michael dean perry on their walls with a bullseye painted over his head.

You dick! WHy did you have to bring him up? Now i need to start a thread on that dillhole.

jk

Timmy!
09-04-2013, 11:24 AM
ftw, this BS again.

here's a glimpse of a possible future: the broncos win three straight super bowls starting this season - with the third featuring oz as the QB. after the third win, this board is contaminated with posts like this, "should have been four, moore is a moron."

This post is extremely irrational.

Northman
09-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Althought it must be said that after the 97' loss that MDP was cut so in some ways "justice" if you want to call it that was done before winning the 2 SB's. I personally am not calling for Moore to be cut but im sure there are a few who wouldnt feel bad if he had been.

Buff
09-04-2013, 11:51 AM
ftw, this BS again.

We could win 20 super bowls and I will never let it go. I think you should change your name to "rationalguy" - as you don't seem to have much fanatic in you.

Rex
09-04-2013, 11:55 AM
We could win 20 super bowls and I will never let it go. I think you should change your name to "rationalguy" - as you don't seem to have much fanatic in you.

I ride with this guy.

cmhargrove
09-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Two pages, and no talk about Carter?

Tony did blow that play. His entire season was a bit of a roller coaster. I'll always love him for contributing to the season-turning game against the Chargers, but he had some bonehead plays as well. Carter needs to stay disciplined and not lose track of his assignments. I fully expect him to improve, but I'm never expecting him to beat out our starters (if they remain healthy).

I'm really hoping that DRC becomes the player they all hoped he could be. If he can return to his early form, we probably won't have to worry much about Carter's shortfalls.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Yesterday, one of the local sports people talked with Carter after practice, and he admitted he blew the play.

rationalfan
09-04-2013, 03:06 PM

so, do you think holding a grudge about something that, ultimately, doesn't affect our livelihood makes you more of a fan?

rationalfan
09-04-2013, 03:08 PM
carter: i like him. but his play in the second half of last year seemed to drop off a bit. made me think opposing coaches figured out his weaknesses/strengths and adjusted accordingly.

also thought it was curious that the broncos went hard after DBs in the offseason, even though fox praised carter pretty regularly.

Northman
09-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Tony did blow that play. His entire season was a bit of a roller coaster. I'll always love him for contributing to the season-turning game against the Chargers, but he had some bonehead plays as well. Carter needs to stay disciplined and not lose track of his assignments. I fully expect him to improve, but I'm never expecting him to beat out our starters (if they remain healthy).

I'm really hoping that DRC becomes the player they all hoped he could be. If he can return to his early form, we probably won't have to worry much about Carter's shortfalls.

The only thing i will say about Carter (and this goes for our DB's in general) is i would like to see them do more jamming at the line than they do. One thing we do not do well is jam the receivers at the line and it bothers the piss out of me.

rationalfan
09-04-2013, 03:21 PM
The only thing i will say about Carter (and this goes for our DB's in general) is i would like to see them do more jamming at the line than they do. One thing we do not do well is jam the receivers at the line and it bothers the piss out of me.

any idea if this is their deficiency or the way the defensive coaches instruct them to play? if it's an epidemic that suggests it might be a scheme thing.

Buff
09-04-2013, 03:52 PM
so, do you think holding a grudge about something that, ultimately, doesn't affect our livelihood makes you more of a fan?

No, but I think being relatively unaffected by it makes you less of a fan.

Northman
09-04-2013, 03:55 PM
any idea if this is their deficiency or the way the defensive coaches instruct them to play? if it's an epidemic that suggests it might be a scheme thing.

No, im with you. I think its the philosophy and has driven me crazy for quite a while now. I dont know if its that the coaches dont think they can do it or if its just their scheme but i think its a major thorn in our side in crunch time.

chazoe60
09-04-2013, 04:00 PM
The words"rational" and "fan" do not belong together, they are contradictory.

rationalfan
09-04-2013, 04:12 PM
No, but I think being relatively unaffected by it makes you less of a fan.

i was far from unaffected, but also far from being consumed by the play/moore's folly.

again, people make mistakes. i get over it.

rationalfan
09-04-2013, 04:14 PM
The words"rational" and "fan" do not belong together, they are contradictory.

your post made me smile. i believe this is first time someone has pointed this out in my five or so years on the board - at least, the first i can recall.

paradoxes always have fascinated me.

Buff
09-04-2013, 04:56 PM
i was far from unaffected, but also far from being consumed by the play/moore's folly.

again, people make mistakes. i get over it.

Define "get over it." Because I am not losing sleep, or emotionally distraught. But I continue to hold him accountable for his career defining mistake.

your post made me smile. i believe this is first time someone has pointed this out in my five or so years on the board - at least, the first i can recall.

paradoxes always have fascinated me.

Wait, I'm pretty sure I pointed it out right before him on the previous page, albeit somewhat less explicitly and more condescendingly. I'll be damned if I'm going to share the spotlight with Chaz.

Bosco
09-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Yesterday, one of the local sports people talked with Carter after practice, and he admitted he blew the play.

And he's just being the good guy, taking the blame. Anyone who watches that play can clearly see that Carter did nothing wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br2QVozDaA0

Watch the corners. They're all playing about 5-7 yards off the receivers. NO ONE played press. Carter had the sidelines and underneath coverage in that Tampa 2 coverage.

I honestly think Milus is the one who blew it, probably instructing the corners to play off when the call from Del Rio was supposed to include press. That is clearly the more plausible explanation considering everyone played off and Milus was quickly shown the door.

rationalfan
09-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Define "get over it." Because I am not losing sleep, or emotionally distraught. But I continue to hold him accountable for his career defining mistake.

well, i hold my employees accountable for their mistakes too, but i don't bring up their mistakes every time their names are mentioned. you're carrying a grudge. get over it.

Wait, I'm pretty sure I pointed it out right before him on the previous page, albeit somewhat less explicitly and more condescendingly. I'll be damned if I'm going to share the spotlight with Chaz.

there's a fine line between intent and interpretation (and, yes, i know that falls on me too).

chazoe60
09-04-2013, 05:27 PM

Hey, what is that supposed to mean?

drewloc
09-04-2013, 05:29 PM
As long as the team plays smarter I will be happier.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-04-2013, 05:48 PM
From a Baltimore paper

But two days prior, there was a reasoned, interesting column from Kiszla's Denver Post colleague, Mike Klis, who broke down the play and explained that while Moore was the primary culprit, three other Broncos defenders also botched the play.

After asking around Broncos camp, Klis confirmed that the Broncos defense was supposed to be in a 3-5-3 formation, a standard call in late-game situations when the defense wants to keep the offense from getting out of bounds, on that pivotal third-and-3 play.

Moore and two other safeties were each supposed to take a deep third of the field and keep everything in front of them. Five defenders played underneath coverage. And Denver sent a three-man rush.

One of those rushers, linebacker Robert Ayers, lined up in the middle of the Broncos defensive line, and when he tried to spin around Ravens center Matt Birk and right guard Marshal Yanda, he gave Flacco a chance to step up into the pocket and launch a high-arcing pass down the field. Cornerback Tony Carter was supposed to bump Jones at the line of scrimmage or run with him down the field, but he did neither. And former Ravens safety Jim Leonard was supposed to cover the middle deep third and potentially give Moore a hand, but he has nowhere to be found.

full article - http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-02-27/sports/bal-sports-blitz-ravens-broncos-jacoby-jones-rahim-moore-20130227_1_jacoby-jones-mike-klis-rahim-moore

Buff
09-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Hey, what is that supposed to mean?

It means that 50% or more of that high five you received from rational guy is rightfully mine.

Buff
09-04-2013, 06:01 PM
well, i hold my employees accountable for their mistakes too, but i don't bring up their mistakes every time their names are mentioned. you're carrying a grudge. get over it.

there's a fine line between intent and interpretation (and, yes, i know that falls on me too).

Well I'm not his boss... If I was, I would have terminated him and told him that while he has potential, we simply cannot allow that kind of mistake to occur as it sets a bad precedent.

dogfish
09-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Well I'm not his boss... If I was, I would have terminated him and told him that while he has potential, we simply cannot allow that kind of mistake to occur as it sets a bad precedent.

no, dude-- you NEED to get over it. . . some guy on the internets said so!

Broncolingus
09-04-2013, 06:10 PM
The "other" Rahim Moore: Tony Carter eyes redemption in Ravens rematch

...well, with Champ out, he'll certainly have even more of a chance to back up those words.

(...REALLY hope he does, btw...)

(...him and Rahim both...)

Northman
09-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Yeeeeep

Moore and two other safeties were each supposed to take a deep third of the field and keep everything in front of them.

BroncoWave
09-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Huh, so I guess I'm less of a fan because I don't hold some stupid grudge against Moore. Who knew? I better go return all my Broncos stuff I guess. :(

broncohead
09-04-2013, 07:54 PM
One time I pooped my pants... I figured if the deed was done might as well wait a couple minutes so everyone else could smell my misery

Bosco
09-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Here's an excellent breakdown of the play by a guy who actually ran these coverages in the NFL.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Playoffs-revisited-Jones-TD-grab-vs-Broncos.html

Not a Cover 3 at all.

Buff
09-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Huh, so I guess I'm less of a fan because I don't hold some stupid grudge against Moore. Who knew? I better go return all my Broncos stuff I guess. :(

I rarely play fan police... But in my opinion the degree to which you were affected by the Rahim Moore play is a pretty good litmus test for how emotionally invested you are in the team. Sure - it's completely petty and insignificant in the grand scheme of things - but that's sort of the point.

BroncoWave
09-04-2013, 08:43 PM
I rarely play fan police... But in my opinion the degree to which you were affected by the Rahim Moore play is a pretty good litmus test for how emotionally invested you are in the team. Sure - it's completely petty and insignificant in the grand scheme of things - but that's sort of the point.

Don't get me wrong, I was pissed about the game and feel it was a blown opportunity. But I think it's ridiculous to say he is the sole reason we lost or that he should have been cut because of it. You can be mad about the play but still have perspective about things. I just don't see the point in still being mad at Moore about it. He's still a promising young player and there is nothing that can be done about that play. He's probably more torn up about it than any fan on here, and it will probably make him a better player.

Jsteve01
09-04-2013, 08:49 PM

pretty sure there wasn't a fan on this board who wasn't deeply disturbed by the play. the difference would be the people who are ready to cut ties over one horrid play. From the front office, coaching staff and much of the fan base realize that emmotional reactions to honest mistakes aren't the best way to build a team. A misread is not enough to cut a young hard worker who has potential.

zbeg
09-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Don't get me wrong, I was pissed about the game and feel it was a blown opportunity. But I think it's ridiculous to say he is the sole reason we lost or that he should have been cut because of it. You can be mad about the play but still have perspective about things. I just don't see the point in still being mad at Moore about it. He's still a promising young player and there is nothing that can be done about that play. He's probably more torn up about it than any fan on here, and it will probably make him a better player.

Guy's 23 years old and had a very good season last year. Getting all huffy and saying "OMG HE NEEDZ TO BE CUTZORZ" makes a lot more sense as an emotional reaction right after the fact, but seven months later?

Getting rid of a talented defensive back who, again, played very well last year is cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's like cutting a talented young quarterback because he threw a really bad interception to lose the game. That's how loser franchises run their teams. I can see the Raiders doing stuff like that, but thankfully the people running the Broncos have a little bit more sense than that and understand that sometimes even very good players make mistakes.

Manning threw a bad interception in that game too. Cut him!
Champ gave up a couple of bad touchdowns. Sorry Champ, you're off the team.
Miller got no pressure all game long. Why is he not on the unemployment line right now??

Sheesh.

Buff
09-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Guy's 23 years old and had a very good season last year. Getting all huffy and saying "OMG HE NEEDZ TO BE CUTZORZ" makes a lot more sense as an emotional reaction right after the fact, but seven months later?

Getting rid of a talented defensive back who, again, played very well last year is cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's like cutting a talented young quarterback because he threw a really bad interception to lose the game. That's how loser franchises run their teams. I can see the Raiders doing stuff like that, but thankfully the people running the Broncos have a little bit more sense than that and understand that sometimes even very good players make mistakes.

Manning threw a bad interception in that game too. Cut him!
Champ gave up a couple of bad touchdowns. Sorry Champ, you're off the team.
Miller got no pressure all game long. Why is he not on the unemployment line right now??

Sheesh.

Listen, JSteve's point is well taken, you don't build a roster based on emotional reactions... But you can't compare Manning's track record or Champ's track record, or Miller's track record to effing Rahim Moore's. His mistake is in a whole different universe.

zbeg
09-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Listen, JSteve's point is well taken, you don't build a roster based on emotional reactions... But you can't compare Manning's track record or Champ's track record, or Miller's track record to effing Rahim Moore's. His mistake is in a whole different universe.

Manning's mistake was pretty bad. Moore's mistake just resulted in a tied game. Manning's across the body throw resulted in losing the game.

chazoe60
09-05-2013, 11:41 AM
:laugh::laugh:

Let's all hug Rahim so his little feelers don't get hurt.

BroncoWave
09-05-2013, 11:50 AM
:laugh::laugh:

Let's all hug Rahim so his little feelers don't get hurt.

Except no one is doing this. It's not about whether Rahim's feelings get hurt or not (I imagine he has much better things to do than to read a message board), it's about not acting like a retard about him because of one play. Yeah, we all know he screwed up that one play, but he is still a promising young player who has shown lots of improvement. Even IF he makes that play we still have to get by both NE and SF, which is at best a 25-30% shot.

Joel
09-05-2013, 06:58 PM

It's a valid point: Moore blew it big time, but it's a team sport and Carter blew it just as badly. They have 3rd and long on their 27, down by a TD with under half a minute left in a playoff game at your house. No WAY anyone should get behind you, especially not with EIGHT guys in coverage—so don't give a free release when you KNOW they MUST go deep. If you have to jump offside, hold, or even commit PI, JUST DON'T GIVE UP A TD! This isn't rocket surgery. Up by a TD with 0:40 showing on 3rd and 7 at their 27, a 5 yard penalty or even a PI spot foul is a clear win for our D: It burns more time and they're still way short of midfield.

Doesn't matter now though, and the rematch is about to start, so time to move onward and upward.

wayninja
09-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Rahim Moore played pretty well tonight, I thought.

Ziggy
09-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Rahim Moore played pretty well tonight, I thought.

He did, unlike Tony Carter. Can't wait for Champ to get back.

BroncoWave
09-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Moore was a stud tonight. I'm glad Elway was smart enough not to cut him after the playoffs.

wayninja
09-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Moore was a stud tonight. I'm glad Elway was smart enough not to cut him after the playoffs.

Agreed, it was a bad play, but he was a pretty good prospect the rest of the season. No need to cut of your nose to spite your face.

I don't really wan't to relive that game thread in here, but it was heated.

Bosco
09-06-2013, 08:27 AM
It's a valid point: Moore blew it big time, but it's a team sport and Carter blew it just as badly. They have 3rd and long on their 27, down by a TD with under half a minute left in a playoff game at your house. No WAY anyone should get behind you, especially not with EIGHT guys in coverage—so don't give a free release when you KNOW they MUST go deep. If you have to jump offside, hold, or even commit PI, JUST DON'T GIVE UP A TD! This isn't rocket surgery. Up by a TD with 0:40 showing on 3rd and 7 at their 27, a 5 yard penalty or even a PI spot foul is a clear win for our D: It burns more time and they're still way short of midfield.

Doesn't matter now though, and the rematch is about to start, so time to move onward and upward.

The playcall wasn't for a press coverage though. Check out the video in post #43. Everyone was playing with a cushion.

Northman
09-06-2013, 08:47 AM

Was he actually ever in danger of being cut?

zbeg
09-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Was he actually ever in danger of being cut?

No, because John Elway isn't stupid.

Northman
09-06-2013, 08:49 AM
No, because John Elway isn't stupid.

Exactly. Everything else is irrelevant.