PDA

View Full Version : Statement Game

Mr Bojangles
09-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Is Thursday's season opener against the Ravens a "Statement" game?

With all the hype, and playing last year's SB winner, I wonder if this game carries any additional significance for the Denver fans.

Pudge
09-02-2013, 11:01 PM
It's easy to view it that way, but there are sixteen games so every game can send a statement.

Do you view the bills game for the patriots as a statement game?

Army Bronco
09-02-2013, 11:10 PM
If Von was playing and Bailey too, then I would say yes buy its hard to say when your two hopefully just 1 , best defensive players are out. I hope Vons weed was really good cause this was an important game of revenge.

Mr Bojangles
09-02-2013, 11:11 PM
It's easy to view it that way, but there are sixteen games so every game can send a statement.

Do you view the bills game for the patriots as a statement game?

No, actually I don't. But if you're telling me you think that game is just as big as the Bronco-Ravens game, I think Option 3 is the one you should check off.

Hey Pudge...I swear, the moon is not made of cream cheese. What do you think?

Mr Bojangles
09-02-2013, 11:14 PM
If Von was playing and Bailey too, then I would say yes buy its hard to say when your two hopefully just 1 , best defensive players are out. I hope Vons weed was really good cause this was an important game of revenge.

Ok, but I'm not asking who you think will win the game.....just trying to determine how the fans view the importance of the game.

Canmore
09-02-2013, 11:14 PM
I didn't vote. None of your qualifiers cut it for me. Interesting thought. Poll not so much.

chazoe60
09-02-2013, 11:16 PM
I voted yes. It'sthe opening game againstthe team that knocked us out of the playoffs, sounds like a statement game to me.

Mr Bojangles
09-02-2013, 11:16 PM
I didn't vote. None of your qualifiers cut it for me. Interesting thought. Poll not so much.

Sorry....that happens a lot in polls. What are your thoughts on the topic, though?

Mr Bojangles
09-02-2013, 11:20 PM
I voted yes. It'sthe opening game againstthe team that knocked us out of the playoffs, sounds like a statement game to me.

Thanks, Chaz

I'm going to hold off on my vote and comments for awhile, so I don't taint the results. Anything I say will, of course, drive some folks to the opposite POV.

Army Bronco
09-02-2013, 11:30 PM

Ok, but I'm not asking who you think will win the game.....just trying to determine how the fans view the importance of the game.Than yes because its the SB champs. Anybody who plays them this year will look at it as a statement game because if they win , then they beat the champs.

underrated29
09-02-2013, 11:41 PM
No. I know the team does. I actually have a bad feeling about this game. But that's fine as it is week 1. I know when it really matters and we are healthy things will be different. It's the center position that has me shitting bricks. Ngata, canty and Cody....ouch.

Pudge
09-02-2013, 11:51 PM
No, actually I don't. But if you're telling me you think that game is just as big as the Bronco-Ravens game, I think Option 3 is the one you should check off.

Hey Pudge...I swear, the moon is not made of cream cheese. What do you think?

I'm just saying every opening game can be a statement game. But in reality there are 16 games and you don't have to win them all to make a run at a championship. Denver lost three of their first five last year and then ended the season 13-3

Nomad
09-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Than yes because its the SB champs. Anybody who plays them this year will look at it as a statement game because if they win , then they beat the champs.

Plus it's at home. I expect the BRONCOS to win all their home games.

Kaylore
09-03-2013, 01:01 AM
It's home game and against a division opponent who won the super bowl and on national TV. So there is a statement to be made. But just for argument sake, let's say we lose and then win the 15 remaining games of the year. The statement won't have meant much at that point. Or say we win and then miss the playoffs - again, that one game wasn't much. I think it's an important regular season game, so it can set a statement. But I don't think it's a big or even important one. Real statements are made in the playoffs.

DenBronx
09-03-2013, 06:16 AM
Yes it's a statement game and I want us to embarrass the Ravens on national TV.

We need to win this game for many reasons. Let us know we can beat the best teams and also sets the tone for the rest of the season.

And also to dick slap Elvis in the face for being a traitor.

Northman
09-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Ok, but I'm not asking who you think will win the game.....just trying to determine how the fans view the importance of the game.

If we were 100% healthy and had Von in the lineup i would say yes. But without that we as a team are not where we should be to compete at that level. Is it possible to win the game? Sure. But you can only make a statement when you have all your cards in the deck. I just have a bad feeling that we wont get this one.

artie_dale
09-03-2013, 07:22 AM
I think its a statement game. A statement needs to be made by John Fox... hopefully, since its early, he can dab in the non-conservative side of football and actually go for it. A statement needs to be made by Rahim Moore. He needs to play lights out. And I think a statement needs to be made by our running game. I think that this game is as good as any for those guys to do what they couldn't do in our last game.

CoachChaz
09-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Exactly what statement are we asking about? What is it that the team will be saying if we win this game as opposed to any other game?

BroncoWave
09-03-2013, 07:42 AM
I've always found the term "statement game" kinda dumb. It seems like something the media made up as a way to hype up games more. What does "statement game" actually mean?

Spartan
09-03-2013, 07:47 AM
I voted YOU BET!

Should the Broncos lose, there is no need to hit panic buttons; it's the opener and we should be stronger by mid-season. It is a shame Von Miller and Champ Bailey will not be there. It is emotional and persoanl, and all the 'fair' and objective' attributes are out the window. We go with how we feel, and under this particular context, I just hate this Raven team! If the Broncos had lost to. say, the Texans, and they benefited from a terribly officiated game, and their blak sheep camp of fans gloated with nasty remarks, I may not care as much. I just can't stand this team. The Broncos were overall better, who knows why the Patriots - up 13-7 at halftime - faltered so strangely in the 2nd half (remember Terrell Suggs' comment?), and the 49ers moved the ball well in the 1st half better than the score indicated; in the 2nd half, they 'should have' pulled that game out (bad play-calling at the very end, unfortunately).

James :)

Mr Bojangles
09-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Exactly what statement are we asking about? What is it that the team will be saying if we win this game as opposed to any other game?

Coach....In the thread starting comment I put "Statement" in quotation marks because that is part of the consideration. What exactly is a statement game to each individual. It's not up to me to define it for you (that would defeat the purpose of the poll), it's up to you.

Judging by some of the comments and the fact that the thread has had almost 300 views, but fewer than 20 responses, I think some people believe the poll is a trick question!

There's no right or wrong answer....it involves strictly a matter of opinion.

CoachChaz
09-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Coach....In the thread starting comment I put "Statement" in quotation marks because that is part of the consideration. What exactly is a statement game to each individual. It's not up to me to define it for you (that would defeat the purpose of the poll), it's up to you.

Judging by some of the comments and the fact that the thread has had almost 300 views, but fewer than 20 responses, I think some people believe the poll is a trick question!

There's no right or wrong answer....it involves strictly a matter of opinion.

Then to answer the question, I say NO. The Ravens are a different team than they were 8 moths ago and so are the Broncos. If there is a statement to be made, I would think thebase statement would be that we are capable of winning despite the injuries and suspensions and complete lack of anyone that resembles a pass rusher.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2013, 09:13 AM
I don't see how anyone can consider this "pay back." They won the war last year. If we win this game, it's just a small battle within this year's war. Not near as much significance on this game as the last time we played the Ravens.

So, like every 1st game of every season, this game is what you look for to set the tone of the season. However, it's not like a loss will keep us from having a great season. So it's no different than any other game, other than the high expectations.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Personally, this game has significance because of our history with the Ravens. What is that history? That history is getting our butt's handed to us. It felt so good when we went to Baltimore and won convincingly last year. Then the playoff debacle? This game will be a big disappointment to me if we lose...

powderaddict
09-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Here's how I view the importance of games, from most important to least:

1. Division games.
2. Conference games.
3. Non-conference games.

All games are important, but some are more than others. Losing this game wouldn't ruin the chances at the playoffs, but I do think the players and the fans want this badly.

So normally I would say no, but due to the recent history with these two teams, I'm going to say yes.

Broncolingus
09-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I agree with most, that win/lose this game, it doesn't (in-and-of itself) mean Super Bowl or not...

...and of course, every game of the season has significance.

That said, I think the context (and fun) of the question/survey is should the Broncos (an offseason fav among many to make the Super Bowl) be able to beat another high-caliber team...the same team that, coincidentally, knocked Denver out of the playoffs last year...

...so in that sense I say sure.

I do, also, share the wish that Denver was more healthy (and un-suspended) for this game...

JMO...

Nomad
09-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Wouldn't it be a statement if the depleted BRONCOS could beat a healthy Ravens team. Well, at least Holliday is still playing, he was the difference last game. Unless the BRONCOS gets pressure on Flacco from the interior, I'm not sure Von would have had an impact.

cmhargrove
09-03-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't see how anyone could say this isn't a statement game. Season opener, undivided national audience, bad blood, conference game that could well come into play for head to head playoff seeding, Flaccos face plastered on the stadium, the vomit in my throat when we choked against these guys....

Some things are a statement whether ou want them to be or not. The world is watching, and it's important that our coaches and players are prepared for the adversity. This is an even match up on our home field.

Statement.

PatriotsGuy
09-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I was surprised about how big the Vegas spread is. That's all I got.

LawDog
09-03-2013, 11:20 AM
I always view statement games as looking back and saying that was a statement game. I don't see how you can look forward and say that a game will be a statement game. If it turns out to be a sloppy, early-season game with lots of penalties and turnovers by both sides, and the score is low and close, I don't think anyone will say it was a statement game. However, if (after the playoff debacle of last year) the Broncos come out and stomp a mudpuddle in their backsides, that will definitely be viewed as a statement game.

mrbusinesz
09-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I dont think this is a statement game. Now if it we meet in the playoffs again I say yea. Not sure how beating a completely different team the first game of the season is a statement game.

slim
09-03-2013, 01:48 PM
It's no more or less important than any other game on the schedule.

Mr Bojangles
09-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I dont think this is a statement game. Now if it we meet in the playoffs again I say yea. Not sure how beating a completely different team the first game of the season is a statement game.

Don't forget to Vote!

Mr Bojangles
09-03-2013, 03:13 PM
It's no more or less important than any other game on the schedule.

Thank you, Slim.

Now go to the poll and check off #3, please.

Joel
09-03-2013, 04:24 PM
It's home game and against a division opponent who won the super bowl and on national TV. So there is a statement to be made.
This, plus the fact its our home opener. Ten game in a loss, even at home, even against the defending champs, would mean little. Its only significant relevance (if any) would be to homefield in the playoffs; otherwise it would just be another game, with the difference between 8-2 vs. 7-3 or 3-7 vs. 4-6 fairly trivial. Right now though, everyone is undefeated and unbeaten, so this Thursdays game will determine which of those remains true for us on Friday. Of course it's a statement; it's:

1) The START of our season,
2) On national TV,
3) At home,
4) Against the defending champs after
5) They ENDED our last season.

Without Doom and the Flacco banners all that would still be true. It's not do or die nor the FINAL statement, because ultimately still just one game. But it is our first 2013 game and the Leagues, and a big one.

Joker56
09-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Every Game WILL be a "Statement Game".
We had a great team last year,we need to follow up on that,no matter who is out,injured,gone,suspended.
Home game,we need to win it,simply go out and play "Lights Out" football.

:defense: :elefant: :salute:

Mr Bojangles
09-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Here's my take on it, after imagining my team was opening up with the same team that knocked them out of the title race.

Being the opening game is, I think, an important element to the fan's perspective. NE was denied a SB bid by the same team as Denver, but we don't face them again until late December, so that can't possibly be a "Statement" game for us, although we hope it might be an "exclamation point" to the season.

But if NE was opening with them, I imagine my heart would saying "Trash the MFers and send a message loud and clear!" In fact, I would love to see Krafty Bob invite Ray Lewis to watch the game with him in the Owner's box just so he could laugh at RayRay when his team got steamrolled. But that's just the heart speaking.

It's also a matter of the heart to say that game would set the tone for the entire season. The reality of it is, one game doesn't set the tone for anything...as I recall from the euphoria of trashing the Jets up in Foxboro in 2011, and then watching those turds eliminate NE a few weeks later in the same venue.

No, when you get right down to it, it's one of sixteen games on the schedule, and they all count the same. You beat a good team....it's the same as beating a doormat as far as the standings go. So I'd say it is an important game from a W_L perspective, and all the rest is just emotions, and has no real bearing on the outcome of the season, beyond that.

Having said that, win is a lot sweeter than a loss, and a win against the Ravens would be especially gratifying

Spartan
09-04-2013, 09:17 AM
That's very elucidating, Mr Bojangles.

Sans the emotion and 'revenge' factor, the Broncos wil be 1-0 or 0-1 no matter who they play. It's a 'statement game only via one's perspective commensurate to feelings of retribution. That playoff game last year was particularly upsetting, and many Raven retorts to our angst has immensely caused feelings of seething resentment out of relative proportion (whatever the parameters to 'proportion' are). With that written - boy, I soooooo hope the Broncos wipe them out! If not, I doubt a loss tomorrow will be a major gauge on this year's positive prospects. Champ Bailey definitely did not interfere with Torrey Smith in OT last year on that critical 3rd down play. On a critical 3rd down play in the SB (31-29 Ravens was the score), Torrey Smith definitely pushed off, yet the defender Culliver was called! No Raven punts when they surely would have on those 3rd downs in their own territory, but rather drives kept alive in which they ultimately scored. I'm positive the Raven camp sleeps just fine! Oh, sorry, that didn't actually come out on the board while my mind was runing (lol!).

Peculiarly, the Ravens' defense will be, on paper, better than last year; it's deceptive because they won the SB, but the stats reveal they weren't great and stepped up (with some luck!) in the red zone. They have upgraded, but it may not blend well before a few games together. Manning can certainly read them, though, and for this game he and his passing attack may be the key in tomorrow's game. Of course, theoretical plausiblities don't always smooth over into the action. I have a great feeling about Manning's ability to exploit the Ravens' D before they can get to him (many Ravens fans seem extremely confident otherwise) - as I am confident he will not throw an INT in the opposite direction he's rolling. Of note - the Ravens' starting DT Art Jones is out. Clady may hold up well on his end against this proclaimed great yet unproven D-line. On the Raven boards, a poster there wrote (when I contribute over there, I do the best I can to be inqusitive and polite; they can see I'm against them, but it's below me to spew polemics on others' boards):

We are a revamped team. Our weapons from last year have changed. The Broncos have no idea what is coming at them and no film to study. I think we stack up well in this game.

As for the CBs that Denver will have on the field; weren't they out there in the playoff game?...Wow, it must be nice to be in possession of such esoteric knowledge! As hopeful as I am the other way, I would never write, "the Ravens have no idea what is coming at them and no film to study", simply because that would a very obtuse remark! What a buffoon! I think it's no gimmee that Cromartie will be outplayed by Torrey Smith.

James :)

powderaddict
09-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Well, I think it's safe to say that the players and team viewed it as a statement game.

Canmore
09-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Well, I think it's safe to say that the players and team viewed it as a statement game.

Pretty much what I thought. :lol:

DenBronx
09-06-2013, 03:45 PM
7 Touchdowns against the champs and team that knocked us out of the playoffs = statement game

LTC Pain
09-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Helluva statement!