PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey pushing to get healthy for opener

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2013, 05:18 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Denver Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey was able to ditch his crutches and then a walking boot faster than he anticipated in the two weeks since he suffered a sprained foot in the Denver Broncos' second preseason game.

But with the season opener now just days away, Bailey is still unsure if he's recovered fast enough to be on the field for the first game of his 15th NFL season.

After having a bad game against the Ravens in the playoffs, Bailey has extra motivation to get back on the field and redeem himself.

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/09/02/cornerback-champ-bailey-wants-redemption-against-baltimore-ravens-sprained-foot/2755655/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Davii
09-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I sure hope he's able to play, but if we can't generate any pressure on Flacco it might now matter who's on the corners.

SR
09-02-2013, 06:27 PM
I sure hope he's able to play, but if we can't generate any pressure on Flacco it might now matter who's on the corners.

I know one thing, DRC is fast enough to cover Torrey Smith or Jacoby Jones...but he can't cover both and you know Flacco is going to bomb it.

Broncolingus
09-02-2013, 06:48 PM

...my #1 question mark going into the season.

pnbronco
09-03-2013, 09:21 AM
I know one thing, DRC is fast enough to cover Torrey Smith or Jacoby Jones...but he can't cover both and you know Flacco is going to bomb it.

DRC has been fun to watch and he is fast enough. He's quite a character and I like him. The only thing I worry about is that Champ was still walking tender with the boot last Thurs. So I understand he want's to be back in there but I don't want him to do anymore damage trying to get back in too soon, or just not be able to move on that foot like our Champ. I'm hoping for the best for his sake.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-03-2013, 10:14 AM
I don't think we'll see Champ play this week.

dogfish
09-03-2013, 11:57 AM
DRC has been fun to watch and he is fast enough. He's quite a character and I like him. The only thing I worry about is that Champ was still walking tender with the boot last Thurs. So I understand he want's to be back in there but I don't want him to do anymore damage trying to get back in too soon, or just not be able to move on that foot like our Champ. I'm hoping for the best for his sake.

exactly. . . naturally, i'd love to have a healthy champ in the lineup, but it's the first week. . . it's more important to have him healthy for the stretch run-- it would be foolish to rush him back before he's ready, and risk a setback that could force him to miss more games. . .

Davii
09-03-2013, 12:13 PM
exactly. . . naturally, i'd love to have a healthy champ in the lineup, but it's the first week. . . it's more important to have him healthy for the stretch run-- it would be foolish to rush him back before he's ready, and risk a setback that could force him to miss more games. . .

I agree completely. That being said, I remember Champ playing with some crazy harness contraption because his shoulder was messed up and many other maladies over the years.

Champ has been at this a long time and knows his body better than anyone. More so than the medical staff I trust Champ's judgement. If he feels he's ready I trust he is. If he feels he needs more time, take more time.

LTC Pain
09-03-2013, 12:27 PM
This story from PFT today indicates Champ was full practice today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/03/champ-bailey-returns-to-practice-2/

pnbronco
09-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Today is there light practice and tomorrow a walk through. So I'm hoping he can judge where he really is ready to go..... He'll in my stay in my positive thoughts. Davii...you're right he has done this long enough to knows what he can and what he can't do.

LTC Pain
09-03-2013, 03:18 PM
This story from PFT today indicates Champ was full practice today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/03/champ-bailey-returns-to-practice-2/

Oopsey! Now PFT says Champ DID NOT practice today. WTF?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/03/champ-bailey-did-not-practice-today/

Joel
09-03-2013, 07:03 PM
That's all Flacco ever does, all he's shown he CAN do, so I'm more concerned about our safeties than our corners. Harris is a darned good cover corner even if Champ isn't healthy yet, but either way Flacco shouldn't be a problem as long as our centerfielders don't let guys get wide open behind them. Whether our patchwork line can keep Doom and Suggs away from Manning is a bigger issue than pressuring Flacco, IMHO.

Regardless, here's to a full speedy recovery for Champ, whenever it's finished, and a great Thursday night and season (especially postseason) for all our Broncos. :salute:

MOtorboat
09-03-2013, 10:14 PM
That's all he ever does, all he's shown he CAN do, so I'm more concerned about our safeties than our corners. Harris is a darned good cover corner even if Champ isn't healthy yet, but either way Flacco shouldn't be a problem as long as our centerfielders don't let guys get wide open behind them. Whether our patchwork line can keep Doom and Suggs away from Manning is a bigger issue than pressuring Flacco, IMHO.

Regardless, here's to a full speedy recovery for Champ, whenever it's finished, and a great Thursday night and season (especially postseason) for all our Broncos. :salute:

I'm just curious. Why do you put so little stock in covering receivers?

Joel
09-03-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm just curious. Why do you put so little stock in covering receivers?
I put plenty of stock in covering receivers; that's why I like Adams better than Moore. But I think Cromartie and Champ (or Harris if Champ isn't healthy enough to play) can handle their assignments, and Carter and Jammer can handle nickel and dime coverage just as well. Woodyard's proven himself excellent in coverage, so the only worry there is whether Irving's ready to play and Trevathan's ready for a full time role.

Generally, I'm not too worried about covering a couple guys with lots of speed but little else against an erratic bomber. Maybe I should be worried more about their checkdowns given our history against Stokley and Clark, but Flacco's not Manning and it won't be in the 20s Thursday so I con't expect him to put up better numbers than Manning on the road in back-to-back games. However, Flacco IS a bomber and Joseph and Smith ARE fast, so they have every reason to go deep even apart from the potential big pay off and last years breakdown. Moore and the rookie next to him must play zone coverage well in addition to tackling well.

MOtorboat
09-04-2013, 12:09 AM
I put plenty of stock in covering receivers; that's why I like Adams better than Moore. But I think Cromartie and Champ (or Harris if Champ isn't healthy enough to play) can handle their assignments, and Carter and Jammer can handle nickel and dime coverage just as well. Woodyard's proven himself excellent in coverage, so the only worry there is whether Irving's ready to play and Trevathan's ready for a full time role.

Generally, I'm not too worried about covering a couple guys with lots of speed but little else against an erratic bomber. Maybe I should be worried more about their checkdowns given our history against Stokley and Clark, but Flacco's not Manning and it won't be in the 20s Thursday so I con't expect him to put up better numbers than Manning on the road in back-to-back games. However, Flacco IS a bomber and Joseph and Smith ARE fast, so they have every reason to go deep even apart from the potential big pay off and last years breakdown. Moore and the rookie next to him must play zone coverage well in addition to tackling well.

Oh, OK. Because your post came across as DRC was basically worthless except that he could cover. And you're always opining about idiotically moving corners to safety.

Joel
09-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Oh, OK. Because your post came across as DRC was basically worthless except that he could cover. And you're always opining about idiotically moving corners to safety.
Ooooh, I see; sorry, when I said, "that's all he can do," I meant Flacco bombing it, not Cromartie covering.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-04-2013, 10:40 AM
The big thing with this game is can our front 7 stop the run? If we need an 8 man box to stop Rice, then it opens up the deep ball. I don't anticipate a lot of pressure on Flacco. We didn't get pressure with both Von and Doom, now we have neither. We need to keep our Safeties deep.

Joel
09-04-2013, 07:23 PM
The big thing with this game is can our front 7 stop the run? If we need an 8 man box to stop Rice, then it opens up the deep ball. I don't anticipate a lot of pressure on Flacco. We didn't get pressure with both Von and Doom, now we have neither. We need to keep our Safeties deep.
We ought to be better against the run this year, at least once Miller and Wolfe are back (which won't be tomorrow, obviously.) Ayers has always been as solid as a 4-3 LDE must be against the run, and Doom was always weaker as most 4-3 RDEs are; Phillips should be at least as good. Knighton's stout in the middle, Vickerson came on strong at the end of last season as he adjusted to gaining a ton of weight but losing a ton of fat in the offseason. If our fast-but-light LBs are up to the challenge they shouldn't need much safety help against Rice.

That's just as well, because I agree with playing our safeties back in centerfield keeping our endzone safe; it's not just in their job description, but job TITLE. I like how our CBs match up against their unathletic sprinters and erratic bomber, too, so they shouldn't need much safety help; the concern there is, once again, how our young LB corp does with two new starters who'll likely have to cover Clark and/or Stokley a lot.

There's nothing wrong with a coverage sack; the best thing about it is it's not a 70 yd season-ending TD.

Davii
09-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Wolfe is playing tomorrow Joel.