PDA

View Full Version : Elway Has Dealt the Cards-- Time for Manning and Company to Play Out the Hand

Ziggy
09-02-2013, 03:49 PM
John Moffitt for Sealver Siliga. This was an under the radar trade for Elway and company. We traded a DT that wasn't going to make this roster for a guy that started 15 games for a playoff team the last 2 seasons. I went back and watched the last preseason game. Moffitt dominated and was a big reason that the Broncos ran for 137 yards against the Cardinals scrubs. He can play either guard postion and center. He's 26 years old and great insurance against injury. The Broncos now have possibly the best pair of backup guards in the NFL in Moffitt and Kuper(if Kuper can get healthy). Despite being weak at center, the Broncos have developed a quality overall offensive line.

These are the kind of moves that can make the difference between being able to overcome injuries during a 19 game season or going home early again. The talent difference between this season and 3 years ago when Elway took over is remarkable. You can make an argument that we are weak at RB, but no team has every postion covered. Denver has a WR trio that would make any offensive coordinator drool. You know that Manning is licking his chops. This offense is ready to dominate. They averaged 30 points/game last season. 35 a game this year isn't unrealistic with the additions of Wes Welker, Louis Vasquez, and a healthy Julius Thomas.

I think that Woodyard playing MLB is a blessing in disguise. With the big hogs up front he should be able to flow to the ball freely for the most part, and our pass coverage is greatly improved in the base D now. Phillips still has a lot left in the tank. Vick looks as good as he ever has. It's going to be tough to run on this team. Champ, DRC, and Chris Harris are the best corner trio in the league. Von is Von. He may be an idiot, but he's an ultra talented idiot. My bet is that Trevathon will shine now that he has a chance to stay on the field.

I love the way that Elway has built this team in a short time. They are bigger, faster, more physical and more talented than they have been since the Super Bowl teams. They're hungry. While we don't seem to have a Terrell Davis on this roster, this defense is much better than the 97, 98 teams had. It begins on Thursday. Can the Broncos overcome the loss of Von for 6 games? I think so. The hand has been dealt. Let's see how the cards play out in 2013.

Davii
09-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Good post Ziggy. Until I see domination from our O line I still view it as, really, our only weakness on offense. But it's a weakness that can void our strengths.

They can easily change my mind this Thursday, but at this point I'm still concerned about our O line.

Northman
09-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Good post Ziggy. Until I see domination from our O line I still view it as, really, our only weakness on offense. But it's a weakness that can void our strengths.

They can easily change my mind this Thursday, but at this point I'm still concerned about our O line.

Both the Oline and Dline concern me. But add in the proneness to turnovers and there is still a lot to be concerned about. Lets hope they get it together.

atwater27
09-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I am not concerned with our interior Dline anymore. just the ends

Army Bronco
09-02-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm concerned with our DBs getting called for BS personal foul penalties and for one of our players going to jail after they murder Joe Skinny!

Slick
09-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Peyton should be able to make it work with that o line. He knows our guys' weaknesses and will get rid of the ball when he has to. That's one of the reasons he makes 20 million dollars. Like North says, as long as we don't turn it over we should be as good as anybody.

Nomad
09-02-2013, 05:22 PM

With the Ravens and Giants back to back, this Oline will be tested and we'll see how strong this Oline is.

Jsteve01
09-02-2013, 09:30 PM
With the Ravens and Giants back to back, this Oline will be tested and we'll see how strong this Oline is. backs had better be ready to block because the Ravens will get creative to generate pressure

Canmore
09-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Both the Oline and Dline concern me. But add in the proneness to turnovers and there is still a lot to be concerned about. Lets hope they get it together.

Turnovers. You can't turn the ball over.

Run the ball, stop the run and don't turn it over. Still a recipe for success.

Broncolingus
09-03-2013, 10:18 AM

Me too...

I hope the OL stays healthy and generated some continuity here in the last week and half or so of preseason...think I saw someone else commented we'll see how well against two pretty good DLs in the Ravens and Giants right out the gate.

On the DL, still a question mark on the pass-rush of the down-4...not going to say it is good/bad, just not sure.

We'll see...

Traveler
09-03-2013, 10:25 AM
On the DL, still a question mark on the pass-rush of the down-4...not going to say it is good/bad, just not sure.

Pass rush or not, if the defense can get off the field on 3rd downs as consistently as last year, I think they'll be okay till Von returns.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I remember people telling me how bad our OL was the prior to last season. They looked at all the sacks that happened against Tebow and Orton, and everyone was telling me how much Clady was over-rated because of some holding penalties the season before.

Seems we are just repeating more of the same. The OL isn't nearly as bad as some are complaining or worried about, and I think its an over concern. Maybe people just need something to worry about so that their hopes don't get too high. I can understand that. I tend to see the injuries we've had and the suspension we have, and wonder "is that going to damper our hyped season?"

I dunno, but I think our OL is fine and a lot of the worry is just "over concern" because it's something to focus on. Personally, I think our RBs are MUCH weaker than our OL is.

TXBRONC
09-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Turnovers. You can't turn the ball over.

Run the ball, stop the run and don't turn it over. Still a recipe for success.

Agreed. The pass rush concerns me but turnovers concern me even more.

TXBRONC
09-03-2013, 10:39 AM
I remember people telling me how bad our OL was the prior to last season. They looked at all the sacks that happened against Tebow and Orton, and everyone was telling me how much Clady was over-rated because of some holding penalties the season before.

Seems we are just repeating more of the same. The OL isn't nearly as bad as some are complaining or worried about, and I think its an over concern. Maybe people just need something to worry about so that their hopes don't get too high. I can understand that. I tend to see the injuries we've had and the suspension we have, and wonder "is that going to damper our hyped season?"

I dunno, but I think our OL is fine and a lot of the worry is just "over concern" because it's something to focus on. Personally, I think our RBs are MUCH weaker than our OL is.

This just show we all see things differently. The running back situation I think is going be fine. For me it's the turnover.

Ziggy
09-03-2013, 01:09 PM
This just show we all see things differently. The running back situation I think is going be fine. For me it's the turnover.
I think that's why we'll a lot more of Montee Ball than Ronnie Hillman this season.

rationalfan
09-03-2013, 01:14 PM

agreed. there's a big difference between "good" and "perfect." seems some people won't be satisfied with the oline until it's perfect. but, again, the line has two pro bowlers on the left side, two maulers on the right side and an average (at best) center. that's pretty good. sometimes you have to inspect the other teams' problems to realize how good the broncos have it.

TXBRONC
09-03-2013, 01:40 PM
I think that's why we'll a lot more of Montee Ball than Ronnie Hillman this season.

I don't expect right away unless Hillman gets hurt.

TXBRONC
09-03-2013, 01:46 PM
agreed. there's a big difference between "good" and "perfect." seems some people won't be satisfied with the oline until it's perfect. but, again, the line has two pro bowlers on the left side, two maulers on the right side and an average (at best) center. that's pretty good. sometimes you have to inspect the other teams' problems to realize how good the broncos have it.

I don't know if people are looking for them to perfect. It's a matter perspective of what you think is good line play. It looked to me in the first two games the lines were inconsistent but the third game they did their jobs well.

rationalfan
09-03-2013, 02:09 PM
I don't if people are looking for them to perfect. It's a matter perspective of what you think is line play. It looked to me in the first two games the lines were inconsistent but the third game they did their jobs well.

true. and, admittedly, i'm no expert on line play. i just think ravage's point about people trying to find something to complain about rings pretty true.

BigDaddyBronco
09-03-2013, 02:29 PM
I think it comes down to three things this season.

1. Injuries - the backups are not exrtremely talented at most positions, we lose a few key guys at WR, LB, or (knock on wood) QB and we'll struggle
2. Turnovers - need to fumble less and force more turnovers, this team was amazing last year with being in the negative in the turnover margin, history says that doesn't happen much
3. Can we hold on until Von gets back - Von is instant pass rush, can our defense do enough to let the offense win games during the first six weeks

If we do well on these things we should be set up for another playoff run.

Dzone
09-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Montee Ball gets #28...Q Carter takes 38

Magnificent Seven
09-03-2013, 02:46 PM
John Moffitt for Sealver Siliga. This was an under the radar trade for Elway and company. We traded a DT that wasn't going to make this roster for a guy that started 15 games for a playoff team the last 2 seasons. I went back and watched the last preseason game. Moffitt dominated and was a big reason that the Broncos ran for 137 yards against the Cardinals scrubs. He can play either guard postion and center. He's 26 years old and great insurance against injury. The Broncos now have possibly the best pair of backup guards in the NFL in Moffitt and Kuper(if Kuper can get healthy). Despite being weak at center, the Broncos have developed a quality overall offensive line.

These are the kind of moves that can make the difference between being able to overcome injuries during a 19 game season or going home early again. The talent difference between this season and 3 years ago when Elway took over is remarkable. You can make an argument that we are weak at RB, but no team has every postion covered. Denver has a WR trio that would make any offensive coordinator drool. You know that Manning is licking his chops. This offense is ready to dominate. They averaged 30 points/game last season. 35 a game this year isn't unrealistic with the additions of Wes Welker, Louis Vasquez, and a healthy Julius Thomas.

I think that Woodyard playing MLB is a blessing in disguise. With the big hogs up front he should be able to flow to the ball freely for the most part, and our pass coverage is greatly improved in the base D now. Phillips still has a lot left in the tank. Vick looks as good as he ever has. It's going to be tough to run on this team. Champ, DRC, and Chris Harris are the best corner trio in the league. Von is Von. He may be an idiot, but he's an ultra talented idiot. My bet is that Trevathon will shine now that he has a chance to stay on the field.

I love the way that Elway has built this team in a short time. They are bigger, faster, more physical and more talented than they have been since the Super Bowl teams. They're hungry. While we don't seem to have a Terrell Davis on this roster, this defense is much better than the 97, 98 teams had. It begins on Thursday. Can the Broncos overcome the loss of Von for 6 games? I think so. The hand has been dealt. Let's see how the cards play out in 2013.

Indeed! In Elway We Trust!