PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Dumervil haunted by sack he didn't get in playoffs

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I posted this in Broncos Talk, as some of it has to do with when he was with the Broncos:

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – Consider a snapshot of why his Baltimore Ravens teammates can't wait to see former Denver Broncos pass rusher Elvis Dumervil wreak havoc on Peyton Manning's precision passing attack in Thursday night's season opener.

Dumervil spent the past few days fuming over a missed sack on Joe Flacco's 70-yard touchdown to Jacoby Jones that tied last January's divisional playoff meeting, which the Ravens eventually won 38-35 in overtime.

The Ravens ultimately won a Super Bowl title.

AND from article:

I'm happy to be Raven. The decision was on me, and I feel happy about it.''

full article - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2013/09/01/elvis-dumervil-haunted-by-sack-he-didnt-get-denver-broncos-joe-flacco-playoffs/2753645/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Davii
09-01-2013, 04:03 PM
**** Elvis Dumervil. I'm generally the guy that roots for former Broncos wherever they wind up. I will never, ever, root for Dumervil in any way.

Poet
09-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Doom used to be your guy, too.

BroncoWave
09-01-2013, 04:14 PM
**** Elvis Dumervil. I'm generally the guy that roots for former Broncos wherever they wind up. I will never, ever, root for Dumervil in any way.

Good post. Wanna take less money to spite the Broncos? That's fine, just don't expect any sympathy from any of us when lamenting over last year's failures.

Davii
09-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Doom used to be your guy, too.

He was "my guy" as he was my adopted Bronco and there is an autographed 8x10 of him in my office, and yes, it's still there but only because it was a gift from someone important. I believe that fax snafu was purposeful and done in the hopes that the Broncos would screw up and be on the hook for 12 million, then he made the Broncos out to be the bad guy for cutting him. It was disingenuous and therefore I no longer have an ounce of respect for the man.

Slick
09-01-2013, 05:43 PM
I never thought of it that way, Davii but it makes a lot of sense.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2013, 05:49 PM
I never thought of it that way, Davii but it makes a lot of sense.

I figured it was that way all of the time, and I am sure Martindale had a lot to do with it behind the scenes.

Nomad
09-01-2013, 06:03 PM

^^^^^Says a lot by being one of the most respected around here.

SR
09-01-2013, 06:16 PM

Clady will make Elvis his bitch.

hamrob
09-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Clady vs. Doom and Franklin vs. Suggs. A couple good matchups right there.

I have to say....The Ravens have improved on defense in my opinion. Their DLine is one of the best in the game...they are thick on the inside and will be very difficult to run against. We are going to have to be patient.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2013, 06:32 PM
OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Elvis Dumervil had just hit the free-agent market on March 15, after a botched fax to the league offices, when Baltimore Ravens inside linebackers coach Don Martindale called his former Denver Broncos protégé.

The linebackers coach, nicknamed "Wink" after the television game-show host, made a recruiting pitch that sold Dumervil on an unexpected reunion: He could have what was behind Door No. 2 -- a deal with the world champions.

"I called Elvis and said, 'You want me to get the ball rolling?' He said, 'Heck, yeah!''' Martindale told USA TODAY Sports after Dumervil signed his five-year, $35-million deal Tuesday. "Right after he got released, it was more of a challenge with everyone here saying, 'We can't get him.' I said, 'I think we can.'

AND

Asked about the possibility that the reigning Super Bowl champions could open the season on the road against his former team, Dumervil smiled and said: "You just gave me goose bumps. I'll be ready for that.'' He added that while he's always played with a chip on his shoulder, now he has "a brick wall."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2013/03/26/former-broncos-defensive-end-elvis-dumervil-signs-with-ravens/2022445/

Davii
09-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Clady will make Elvis his bitch.

I think he would, but Dumervil will be rushing mostly from the defensive left going against mainly against Orlando Franklin.

Canmore
09-01-2013, 06:43 PM
He was "my guy" as he was my adopted Bronco and there is an autographed 8x10 of him in my office, and yes, it's still there but only because it was a gift from someone important. I believe that fax snafu was purposeful and done in the hopes that the Broncos would screw up and be on the hook for 12 million, then he made the Broncos out to be the bad guy for cutting him. It was disingenuous and therefore I no longer have an ounce of respect for the man.

I'm a fan and I took this one personal.

Agreed with everything you said!

SR
09-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Clady vs. Doom and Franklin vs. Suggs. A couple good matchups right there.

I have to say....The Ravens have improved on defense in my opinion. Their DLine is one of the best in the game...they are thick on the inside and will be very difficult to run against. We are going to have to be patient.

Baltimore didn't improve on defense at all.

SR
09-01-2013, 07:23 PM
I think he would, but Dumervil will be rushing mostly from the defensive left going against mainly against Orlando Franklin.

Elvis can't blitz as fast as Peyton can get rid of the ball. Elvis as an OLB = shit against the pass and worthless against the run. He's a one trick pony. He was improved as a 4-3 DE against the run but we all saw how he was in a 3-4...sack machine but that's it. He won't sack Peyton.

BroncoWave
09-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Elvis can't blitz as fast as Peyton can get rid of the ball. Elvis as an OLB = shit against the pass and worthless against the run. He's a one trick pony. He was improved as a 4-3 DE against the run but we all saw how he was in a 3-4...sack machine but that's it. He won't sack Peyton.

:confused:

Army Bronco
09-01-2013, 07:38 PM
I hope Dumervil gets embarrassed bad. I hope he gets so winded for being away for so long and then gets pancaked. The only sack I hope he gets is a dinner sack on his bus ride to the airport after a Ravens loss

Army Bronco
09-01-2013, 07:41 PM
**** Elvis Dumervil. I'm generally the guy that roots for former Broncos wherever they wind up. I will never, ever, root for Dumervil in any way. Me either !

CrazyHorse
09-01-2013, 08:03 PM

I think he means pass coverage.

This year Elvis will regret the sack he doesn't get against his former team.

UnderArmour
09-01-2013, 08:09 PM

He meant to say in coverage, but really his point is invalid either way because there are plenty of 3-4 OLBs that are never put into coverage and only have edge-setting responsibilities or rush responsibilities. DeMarcus Ware comes to mind, Mario Williams his last year in Houston comes to mind, along with countless other converted DE->OLBs. To say a player is a "sack machine but that's it" like it's nothing is exhibiting ignorance of the game at worst or wishful thinking at best. Pass rushers win games. Elvis was a force in the 3-4 and if anything, I expect him to play better now that he has better players than he did when he was in the 3-4 here. Haloti Ngata in the 5 technique with Suggs on the opposite side of him is nothing to scoff at. Elvis is going to be a challenge for us on Thursday.

Jsteve01
09-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Clady will make Elvis his bitch. and don't forget Suggs. He'll have something for Suggs too as I'm sure Wink will rotate them. hope Franklin is up to the task.

McDman
09-01-2013, 11:38 PM
**** Dumervil.

Dapper Dan
09-02-2013, 12:13 AM

Lol. Okay. Nice conspiracy theory.

Davii
09-02-2013, 01:37 AM

Well, by definition a conspiracy requires a group of people be involved, this was just Elvis. So not really a conspiracy theory. But point taken anyhow.

SR
09-02-2013, 08:30 AM

He's been reading LC's posts too much

Dapper Dan
09-02-2013, 08:35 AM
He's been reading LC's posts too much

Or maybe he really is LC. He has some sort of schizophrenia. Weed has both caused and treated the mental disease. His hobby is repairing fax machines.

Northman
09-02-2013, 08:40 AM
I love Doom and will still root for him (except against the Broncos). I feel Denver tried to screw him too so i believe it too be a two way street when it came to faxgate. As much as i want us to win Thursday im very worried and wont be surprised if we end up losing that game.

BroncoWave
09-02-2013, 08:44 AM
How did Denver try to screw him? The previous regime paid him way too much and Denver didn't feel he was worth it, so they tried to renegotiate closer to his market value. They still made him a bigger contract offer than any other team in the league made.

Northman
09-02-2013, 08:55 AM
How did Denver try to screw him? The previous regime paid him way too much and Denver didn't feel he was worth it, so they tried to renegotiate closer to his market value. They still made him a bigger contract offer than any other team in the league made.

They didnt want to fullfill his contract. No player wants to take a paycut. It came down to bitter feelings about it and i cant blame him. But its ok, for those who feel he was overpaid you can hate the man i have no problem with that but i feel he was worth it personally. I said this before, when John and company geared up for their SB runs they cut their own salaries to accomdate the best players possible on those squads. Did Manning offer to do that? Nope. People want to trash talk Doom like he was a selfish player but we have a lot of those same guys who wont take pay cuts to make room for more talent.

BroncoWave
09-02-2013, 08:59 AM
They didnt want to fullfill his contract. No player wants to take a paycut. It came down to bitter feelings about it and i cant blame him. But its ok, for those who feel he was overpaid you can hate the man i have no problem with that but i feel he was worth it personally. I said this before, when John and company geared up for their SB runs they cut their own salaries to accomdate the best players possible on those squads. Did Manning offer to do that? Nope. People want to trash talk Doom like he was a selfish player but we have a lot of those same guys who wont take pay cuts to make room for more talent.

They didn't GIVE him that contract. Just because your past boss gave you something doesn't mean you should expect the new boss to honor it. That's not how business works. You have to prove yourself to the new guys.

Northman
09-02-2013, 09:05 AM
They didn't GIVE him that contract. Just because your past boss gave you something doesn't mean you should expect the new boss to honor it. That's not how business works. You have to prove yourself to the new guys.

As an organization they did.

*Edit*

Also, your argument doesnt hold much water considering that Manning himself didnt prove anything with Denver before they paid him all that money.

BroncoWave
09-02-2013, 09:10 AM
As an organization they did.

You know what, if players have such a huge problem with teams trying to renegotiate with them then they should try to collectively bargain guaranteed contracts like the NBA and MLB have. It's not really true that an NFL team isn't "honoring the contract" when they cut or try to renegotiate with a player. The reason I say that is because it says in the contract that the team can cut said player if they want. The players agreed to those terms. They know when a sign a contract that the team can cut them at any point or try to renegotiate if the player doesn't live up to that contract. Every player knows this going in. Forgive me for not feeling sorry for them when that situation actually arises.

Northman
09-02-2013, 09:15 AM
You know what, if players have such a huge problem with teams trying to renegotiate with them then they should try to collectively bargain guaranteed contracts like the NBA and MLB have. It's not really true that an NFL team isn't "honoring the contract" when they cut or try to renegotiate with a player. The reason I say that is because it says in the contract that the team can cut said player if they want. The players agreed to those terms. They know when a sign a contract that the team can cut them at any point or try to renegotiate if the player doesn't live up to that contract. Every player knows this going in. Forgive me for not feeling sorry for them when that situation actually arises.

You dont have to feel sorry for them man, thats not the point of this. What you have is an ER and an EE who dont agree with the negotiations. If Denver felt that Doom wasnt living up to his contract than that is their prerogative, but lets not slam Doom for wanting to keep the money that was owed. He has every right to want to keep the current contract in place. In the end, they parted ways and it sucks but im not going to hate on the guy just because he wanted to continue to get his original money. My only hope at this point is the guys that we do have can they step up and fill that gap because right now i havent seen it (albeit just preseason).

BroncoWave
09-02-2013, 09:20 AM
You dont have to feel sorry for them man, thats not the point of this. What you have is an ER and an EE who dont agree with the negotiations. If Denver felt that Doom wasnt living up to his contract than that is their prerogative, but lets not slam Doom for wanting to keep the money that was owed. He has every right to want to keep the current contract in place. In the end, they parted ways and it sucks but im not going to hate on the guy just because he wanted to continue to get his original money. My only hope at this point is the guys that we do have can they step up and fill that gap because right now i havent seen it (albeit just preseason).

Denver still offered him the most money though. If another team had offered him more, I would have had no hard feelings with him going there. But by taking less it's clear he wanted to stick it to the Broncos. I think he was the one operating in bad faith, not Denver. The Broncos wanted to keep him and they offered him more than any other team. Doom handled it poorly and now he is making even less than he could have gotten. You are right, that is his prerogative to do so, and it's my prerogative to think he's a doosh because of it.

Northman
09-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Denver still offered him the most money though. If another team had offered him more, I would have had no hard feelings with him going there. But by taking less it's clear he wanted to stick it to the Broncos. I think he was the one operating in bad faith, not Denver. The Broncos wanted to keep him and they offered him more than any other team. Doom handled it poorly and now he is making even less than he could have gotten. You are right, that is his prerogative to do so, and it's my prerogative to think he's a doosh because of it.

But by then the relationship had soured. Of course he is going to stick it too them if he can. And yea, you can think he is a douche, i just happen to disagree.

topscribe
09-02-2013, 09:54 AM
They may have to chip that side. From what I understand, Clady pretty much
owned Dumervil in practice, but Dumervil might be a bit too much for
Franklin. If Dreessen is healthy, I can see them using him to chip Dumervil.

If Dumervil is coming from the defensive left, then Suggs is coming from
the right, probably. Clady can handle Suggs.

nevcraw
09-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Well, by definition a conspiracy requires a group of people be involved, this was just Elvis. So not really a conspiracy theory. But point taken anyhow.

ever hear of Agents? no way no how Elvis is orchestrating the events surrounding a contract negotiation.

topscribe
09-02-2013, 10:07 AM
ever hear of Agents? no way no how Elvis is orchestrating the events surrounding a contract negotiation.
Dumervil is the one who was reported late in getting the fax off. If this was
the agent's ploy, it surely seems that Dumervil may have been complicit.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2013, 10:23 AM
If I understand this, the Broncos did not expect Dumervil to take a pay cut - they just restructured the pay.

from article:

The overall terms came out exactly the same: three years, $30 million. Instead of $12 million in 2013, $10 million in 2014 and $8 million in 2015, Dumervil's pay out was revised to $8 million, $10.5 million and $11.5 million. The guarantee, meanwhile, went from $0 in the initial proposal to $11.5 million in the second proposal.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22799752/clock-ticks-elvis-dumervils-future-broncos-or-elsewhere

topscribe
09-02-2013, 10:28 AM
If I understand this, the Broncos did not expect Dumervil to take a pay cut - they just restructured the pay.

from article:

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22799752/clock-ticks-elvis-dumervils-future-broncos-or-elsewhere
So, in other words, his contract was actually a little better than before,
over the three year period. All that was involved was restructuring. Many
players have gone along with restructuring their contracts in the interest of
the team, including Champ Bailey and John Elway himself. I just don't like
what I perceive to be Dumervil's attitude toward all this.

I hope he disappears against the Broncos like he did against the Ravens.
That would be poetic justice . . .

Dapper Dan
09-02-2013, 10:33 AM
So, in other words, his contract was actually a little better than before, over the three year period . ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdjY_UnNtQ4

Northman
09-02-2013, 10:33 AM
From the same article,

The Broncos asked Dumervil last week to take a pay cut from the $12 million that was to become fully guaranteed if he still was on the team's roster by 2 p.m. Friday, to $6.5 million. Dumervil rejected the cut but instructed Magid to work out a restructure.

As i said, looks like things were starting to sour by the time the final offer was made.

BroncoWave
09-02-2013, 10:40 AM
And I bet if Doom thought he was really underpaid, he wouldn't hesitate for a second to hold out. It works both ways. If he accepted the fact that football is a business then he would be making more money right now than he currently is.

Northman
09-02-2013, 11:03 AM
And I bet if Doom thought he was really underpaid, he wouldn't hesitate for a second to hold out. It works both ways. If he accepted the fact that football is a business then he would be making more money right now than he currently is.

Maybe, but sometimes its just the principal of the matter.

Davii
09-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Maybe, but sometimes its just the principal of the matter.

I agree, and on principle, I don't pay someone 4 million dollars more than market value and the next highest paid player at said position, especially when said person is on a contract signed prior to a new CBA that has seen the salary cap slow its growth considerably.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2013, 11:18 AM
From the same article,

As i said, looks like things were starting to sour by the time the final offer was made.

If so, why did Dumervil ask his agent to work out a restructure?

Northman
09-02-2013, 11:23 AM
If so, why did Dumervil ask his agent to work out a restructure?

Maybe to see what they would come up with I dont know. There is a lot they said/they said on the final day of FA. The Broncos claim they submitted their offer at 11am, Doom and his agent say they changed it during the final 3 hours of the deadline. We dont know who's story is true at that point but maybe it was Doom's way of seeing what they would eventually offer. I would like to think that he actually enjoyed being in Denver but if he felt they had slighted him in some way than its easy to understand why he would want to move on.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2013, 11:36 AM
from article:

And on Sunday, Dumervil made his decision. He said it came down to three main things: family, joining a winner and Baltimore’s brand of football.

Dumervil said it was first-and-foremost a family decision. And that family is really Martindale. Martindale helped Dumervil make the transition from a 4-3 defensive end to a 3-4 outside linebacker, and Dumervil responded with his highest career sack total (17).

Dumervil said he and Martindale have a “family-friend” relationship and even speak during the season.

“We did talk a little bit more frequently during the whole free agent process,” Dumervil said with a grin. “I’ve always seen him more as a mentor, and he’s always been honest with me. He has always been a straight shooter, and I’ve always admired that about him. Just talking to him was huge.”

full article - http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Elvis-Dumervil-Explains-Choosing-Ravens/1e886118-194a-4bd3-8154-2abce08f8415

I don't know about anyone else, but seems rather STRANGE that a player talks to a coach on another team during the season

Northman
09-02-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but seems rather STRANGE that a player talks to a coach on another team during the season

I actually think that happens a lot to be honest. I have no doubt that certain coachs/players have bonds and at times call each other about advice, etc.

atwater27
09-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I too obviously like to root for former Broncos. Unless they land in Oakland or Baltimore. I hope the Ravens go into a tailspin and never win a playoff game. And if Denver wins a Super Bowl without Doom, that is just punishment enough for Elvis.

Broncolingus
09-02-2013, 01:24 PM
I too obviously like to root for former Broncos. Unless they land in Oakland or Baltimore. I hope the Ravens go into a tailspin and never win a playoff game. And if Denver wins a Super Bowl without Doom, that is just punishment enough for Elvis.

Agreed...

Ravens, long ago, fell forever into a tie with the Faiders in my 'most despised' category...

...they could go 0-16 for the next century and I still wouldn't feel sorry for them.

powderaddict
09-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I could see why he would be pissed at the team that drafted him and paid him millions upon millions, and made him a household name.

The Broncos totally screwed that guy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-03-2013, 10:21 AM
I could see why he would be pissed at the team that drafted him and paid him millions upon millions, and made him a household name.

The Broncos totally screwed that guy.

Hey, that guy has to feed his family. He only made about 50 million over 3 years.

Be sensitive powder.

powderaddict
09-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Hey, $50 mil doesn't go as far as it used to. I'm surprised he made it this far with so little.

Dapper Dan
09-03-2013, 11:30 AM
So Doom should be loyal, as long as it's not to his old position coach?

Northman
09-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Hey, $50 mil doesn't go as far as it used to. I'm surprised he made it this far with so little.

Yea man, no kidding. Manning must of been dead ass broke to sign up for 90 million with us. Must of been a hurting unit.

LTC Pain
09-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Doom is the enemy now. He can go screw himself.

BroncoWave
09-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Doom is the enemy now. He can go screw himself.

Amen. If he's gonna take less money to spite us, he can go suck a dick for all I care.

jhns
09-03-2013, 04:23 PM
This defense will miss Dum, especially now that we know Miller is a dumbass. The pass rush won't be the same this year, even when Miller plays.

Joel
09-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Amen. If he's gonna take less money to spite us, he can go suck a dick for all I care.
Pretty much. Maybe a 3-4 is better for him since he's weaker against the run, but otherwise he'd have been better off in every way taking our last offer—which we made even AFTER he pointlessly screwed our cap with Faxgate. He chose to take less on a disintegrating geriatric team anyway. Hopefully he'll always be haunted by THAT and the Ring he didn't get in THIS years playoffs.

MOtorboat
09-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Hey, that guy has to feed his family. He only made about 50 million over 3 years.

Be sensitive powder.

Sprewell approved :2thumbs:
http://ronetlcnaptown.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/latrell_sprewell-arton21193-240x240.jpg

G_Money
09-03-2013, 05:19 PM

I would run Julius in patterns over to Doom every friggin time, throw screen passes his way, and generally make him cry.

~G