PDA

View Full Version : Wesley Woodyard self-described "nice guy off the field and a mean guy" on it

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2013, 09:11 AM
The days Wesley Woodyard misses most are the family Sunday dinners when he was a kid in LaGrange, Ga. The food had soul. The room had love. And life. Lots of life. With upward of 30 people crammed into the house, there was enough energy to power the sun. "We all joked, laughed and would just be family for those six hours that we were there," Woodyard said. "We'd look forward to that every week."

He is an NFL player now, a Broncos linebacker far from those home- cooked dinners, a leader who became a breakout star last season stepping up in place of the troubled — and suspended — D.J. Williams.

Woodyard exceeded expectations then, nothing new for the former Kentucky star who owns the Southeastern Conference record for solo tackles in a career (227). He is the blend of athlete all fans want on their team — talented, productive, never a hint of trouble. The Broncos signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2008 and have reaped the rewards of his hard work and humble nature ever since.

rest - long - but great article
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23991899/wesley-woodyard-self-described-nice-guy-off-field-and-mean-guy-it

SoCalImport
09-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Yep. Woodyard is the man. I have every confidence that he'll be our best mlb since Mr. Wilson left the building.

SR
09-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Yep. Woodyard is the man. I have every confidence that he'll be our best mlb since Mr. Wilson left the building.

In dunno about that, but I just hope he can produce like he did last year.

Ziggy
09-01-2013, 09:53 AM

This defense is built for a smaller MLB to succeed. With Vickerson and Knighton manning the middle of the line, and Wolfe, Ayers/Jackson on the outside Denver has one of the bigger Dlines in the NFL. Those guys should keep Woody fairly clean to flow to the ball on running downs.

SoCalImport
09-02-2013, 07:48 AM
In dunno about that, but I just hope he can produce like he did last year.

117 tackles 73 solo 5.5 sacks -- 6 passes def 3 ints 1 FF

That was last year and would make him far and away our best MLB since Wilson. Wood was a beast last year.

SR
09-02-2013, 08:25 AM

That was last year and would make him far and away our best MLB since Wilson. Wood was a beast last year.

Will and Mike aren't the same. You can't take his Will stats and assume they'll translate to Mike. I hope like hell they do, believe me, but I'm a little more cautious than some people here.

SoCalImport
09-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Will and Mike aren't the same. You can't take his Will stats and assume they'll translate to Mike. I hope like hell they do, believe me, but I'm a little more cautious than some people here.

Naturally. Two different positions. I just love his apparent underdog mentality. That and his ability to excel where the league obviously thought he couldn't and I'm very optimistic.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-02-2013, 11:27 AM
I love me some Woodyard.

Broncolingus
09-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Wesley Woodyard self-described "nice guy off the field and a mean guy" on it

...well, I hope he goes 'extra-mean-guy' this season...

...especially the first 6-games.