PDA

View Full Version : America's Fastest Growing Sport: Professional Bull Riding

Dapper Dan
08-30-2013, 07:20 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/americas-fastest-growing-sport-professional-bull-riding-141100694--mlb.html

If you were one of the original 20 cowboys that invested $1,000 to fund the start of the Professional Bull Riding circuit 21 years ago and remained an owner, your seed money would now be worth over $4 million. That works out to a 48 percent compound annual return. The return (excluding dividends) of the S&P 500 over that period is 8 percent.

In case you are wondering, the participants can make good money too if they perform well. Last season, PBR paid out $9 million to riders and $2 million to the bulls (well, OK, their owners).

PBR is now owned by 44 cowboys, management and Spire Capital. The handsome returns has drawn celebrities. John Elway, Wayne Grezkey and former Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda joined the party by investing in bulls.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-30-2013, 07:22 PM
From 500 to 1000 fans in one year. That's doubling your size right there.

MOtorboat
08-30-2013, 07:26 PM
From 500 to 1000 fans in one year. That's doubling your size right there.

You'd be surprised.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-30-2013, 07:32 PM
You'd be surprised.

I said that tongue in cheek. I live in Idaho, so I know how rodeos pack out arenas.

MOtorboat
08-30-2013, 07:33 PM
I said that tongue in cheek. I live in Idaho, so I know how rodeos pack out arenas.

We have a PRCA-sponsored week-long rodeo here. And one PBR champion lives in town. I went to college with him, but he's kind of a *****.

Dapper Dan
08-30-2013, 07:34 PM
I haven't really gotten into watching bull riding, but I really respect the guys. I couldn't do it. My roommate from a college I used to go to was a former rider for his former school. I guess some colleges have bullriding teams. He wasn't great and he was super humble about it. But even trying is more than anything I'd come close to doing.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-30-2013, 07:50 PM
We have a PRCA-sponsored week-long rodeo here. And one PBR champion lives in town. I went to college with him, but he's kind of a *****.

We have two, I think.

When I was in high school the national rodeo champion was from a small town close to Boise. His name was Dee Picket. His son Cody was a back up QB for the 49ers for a few years back in the late 90's I think.

A couple years ago one of the top 10 bull riders was from another small town, about 30 miles north of Boise. I can't remember his name and I don't know if he still does it, I just remember my dad telling me about him.

Dapper Dan
08-30-2013, 07:55 PM
We have two, I think.

When I was in high school the national rodeo champion was from a small town close to Boise. His name was Dee Picket. His son Cody was a back up QB for the 49ers for a few years back in the late 90's I think.

A couple years ago one of the top 10 bull riders was from another small town, about 30 miles north of Boise. I can't remember his name and I don't know if he still does it, I just remember my dad telling me about him.

I vaguely remember Cody Picket. Middle to late 2000s. Washington maybe?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-31-2013, 12:47 AM
I vaguely remember Cody Picket. Middle to late 2000s. Washington maybe?

That's him...I think he went to Canada after the 9ers .