PDA

View Full Version : AFCW playoff predictions, experts all picked Denver

DenBronx
08-29-2013, 04:33 PM
AFC WEST

Judy Battista: Denver Broncos. Peyton Manning and an unstoppable trio of receivers? That can make up for a lot of problems on defense.

Gil Brandt: Denver Broncos. The addition of Wes Welker and rookie running back Montee Ball should help overcome the losses on defense.

Albert Breer: Denver Broncos. As is true for New England, Denver's division helps soften the blow of roster tumult. The Broncos should be able to ride out Von Miller's six-game sit-down and roll to first place.

Bucky Brooks: Denver Broncos. The Broncos will survive Von Miller's six-game suspension to stampede through the weak AFC West on the strength of a high-powered offense keyed by the spectacular play of Peyton Manning.

Jeff Darlington: Denver Broncos. Nobody in the division is capable of keeping up with such an experienced Broncos roster.

Elliot Harrison: Denver Broncos. The Kansas City Chiefs and San Diego Chargers will not be pushovers, but they ultimately don't have the passing game to score with Denver. Despite missing Von Miller for six games, the Broncos should finish 11-5.

Daniel Jeremiah: Denver Broncos. This is an easy one. Von Miller's suspension will have minimal impact in this division. There is a huge gap between the Broncos and everyone else.

Kimberly Jones: Denver Broncos. This is the one division that's a lock -- now.

Ian Rapoport: Denver Broncos. The offseason brought its share of negative headlines for the Broncos, but once Peyton Manning and Co. get going, it'll be all positive.

Adam Schein: Denver Broncos. Denver is good enough to get 10 wins and take the division, but I don't view the Broncos as juggernauts.

Michael Silver: Denver Broncos. I sense that Denver's regular season won't be as charmed as last year's, but with Montee Ball and Wes Welker onboard, the Peyton Manning-led offense can outscore most teams.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000235439/article/2013-nfl-predictions-bengals-patriots-broncos-to-rise-in-afc?campaign=Facebook_writers_predictions

NightTrainLayne
08-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Whenever "all" the talking heads agree on who is winning the division before the season. . .they're almost always wrong.

So we got that going for us.

DenBronx
08-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Guess that means NE wont win their division either then.

BroncoWave
08-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Whenever "all" the talking heads agree on who is winning the division before the season. . .they're almost always wrong.

Eh, usually when it's as obvious as our division is the experts are right. The only way we don't win the division is if Manning gets hurt.

topscribe
08-29-2013, 05:11 PM
The Broncos will likely win the Division, but I don't think there's as wide a gap
between them and the Chiefs as what seems popularly perceived. The Broncos
are a little better on the O-line and WRs, but the only really wide gap, IMO, is
at QB. Were it not for Manning, the AFCW might be a two-horse race, IMO.

nevcraw
08-29-2013, 05:12 PM
let's just say I'm glad pre-season is usually no indication of regular season...

zbeg
08-29-2013, 05:50 PM
The Broncos will likely win the Division, but I don't think there's as wide a gap
are a little better on the O-line and WRs, but the only really wide gap, IMO, is

With Von it's a little bigger gap, since KC doesn't have anyone like that on their team who has to be accounted for at all times.

I agree with you for the most part. KC's much better than their 2-14 record last year indicates.

The troubling thing is what the Raiders are doing. They're by far the worst team in the league right now, but Reggie McKenzie seems to have a plan. When he took over, they had no cap room and few draft picks thanks to the Carson Palmer trade, so he's just biding his time signing veterans to short-term contracts while they get out of cap hell and replenish the draft stock. I don't like it. There hasn't been a single really bad overpaid long-term veteran contract.

We'll see how they handle it, but without Al Davis meddling in the team, McKenzie's been free to set up a long-term plan that involves a lot of losing in the short term, but giving them a ton of cap room.

I'm not a big fan of the "Chiefs and Raiders are looking competent" thing. I was very sad when Al Davis died.

At least we still have the Chargers.

Northman
08-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately thats why they play the game. Dont believe the hype until they actually fullfill it.

Mr Bojangles
08-29-2013, 07:09 PM
AFC WEST

Judy Battista: Denver Broncos. Peyton Manning and an unstoppable trio of receivers? That can make up for a lot of problems on defense.

Gil Brandt: Denver Broncos. The addition of Wes Welker and rookie running back Montee Ball should help overcome the losses on defense.

Albert Breer: Denver Broncos. As is true for New England, Denver's division helps soften the blow of roster tumult. The Broncos should be able to ride out Von Miller's six-game sit-down and roll to first place.

Bucky Brooks: Denver Broncos. The Broncos will survive Von Miller's six-game suspension to stampede through the weak AFC West on the strength of a high-powered offense keyed by the spectacular play of Peyton Manning.

Jeff Darlington: Denver Broncos. Nobody in the division is capable of keeping up with such an experienced Broncos roster.

Elliot Harrison: Denver Broncos. The Kansas City Chiefs and San Diego Chargers will not be pushovers, but they ultimately don't have the passing game to score with Denver. Despite missing Von Miller for six games, the Broncos should finish 11-5.

Daniel Jeremiah: Denver Broncos. This is an easy one. Von Miller's suspension will have minimal impact in this division. There is a huge gap between the Broncos and everyone else.

Kimberly Jones: Denver Broncos. This is the one division that's a lock -- now.

Ian Rapoport: Denver Broncos. The offseason brought its share of negative headlines for the Broncos, but once Peyton Manning and Co. get going, it'll be all positive.

Adam Schein: Denver Broncos. Denver is good enough to get 10 wins and take the division, but I don't view the Broncos as juggernauts.

Michael Silver: Denver Broncos. I sense that Denver's regular season won't be as charmed as last year's, but with Montee Ball and Wes Welker onboard, the Peyton Manning-led offense can outscore most teams.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000235439/article/2013-nfl-predictions-bengals-patriots-broncos-to-rise-in-afc?campaign=Facebook_writers_predictions

Wow.....they are really geniuses! Pisses me off that they get paid for making predictions that everyone in America already knows.

Dapper Dan
08-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Wow.....they are really geniuses! Pisses me off that they get paid for making predictions that everyone in America already knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4QhwOpqLJM

BroncoWave
08-29-2013, 09:08 PM

But we do have Manning, and he makes that gap quite wide. As long as he stays healthy, I just don't see any realistic way we fail to win the division.

topscribe
08-30-2013, 12:29 AM
With Von it's a little bigger gap, since KC doesn't have anyone like that on their team who has to be accounted for at all times.

I agree with you for the most part. KC's much better than their 2-14 record last year indicates.

The troubling thing is what the Raiders are doing. They're by far the worst team in the league right now, but Reggie McKenzie seems to have a plan. When he took over, they had no cap room and few draft picks thanks to the Carson Palmer trade, so he's just biding his time signing veterans to short-term contracts while they get out of cap hell and replenish the draft stock. I don't like it. There hasn't been a single really bad overpaid long-term veteran contract.

We'll see how they handle it, but without Al Davis meddling in the team, McKenzie's been free to set up a long-term plan that involves a lot of losing in the short term, but giving them a ton of cap room.

I'm not a big fan of the "Chiefs and Raiders are looking competent" thing. I was very sad when Al Davis died.

At least we still have the Chargers.
That's the scary part. That's how the Broncos got Von -- they were close to
the worst team in the league, and that was only a couple years ago or so. In
other words, a turnaround can be that quick, and, for the first time in a while,
the Chiefs have competent people in place and a great deal of talent on the
team in several places.

Magnificent Seven
08-30-2013, 01:19 AM
In Elway WE Trust.

zbeg
08-30-2013, 01:25 AM
That's the scary part. That's how the Broncos got Von -- they were close to
the worst team in the league, and that was only a couple years ago or so. In
other words, a turnaround can be that quick, and, for the first time in a while,
the Chiefs have competent people in place and a great deal of talent on the
team in several places.

Right. Before, it wasn't a big deal if the Raiders had an early pick because with Al Davis running the show, you could count on them being wildly incompetent. With Reggie McKenzie, it's far from a given that he's going to screw it up. He's worked for both Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson, who are two of the best GMs of the last 20 years. Some of the stuff McKenzie's saying is pretty disturbing - he really seems to be focused and is thinking long-term. I wasn't happy when the Raiders hired him, and my fears are being realized. The Raiders might actually be competent.

=-(

Davii
08-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Right. Before, it wasn't a big deal if the Raiders had an early pick because with Al Davis running the show, you could count on them being wildly incompetent. With Reggie McKenzie, it's far from a given that he's going to screw it up. He's worked for both Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson, who are two of the best GMs of the last 20 years. Some of the stuff McKenzie's saying is pretty disturbing - he really seems to be focused and is thinking long-term. I wasn't happy when the Raiders hired him, and my fears are being realized. The Raiders might actually be competent.

=-(

He has worked for some great GMs, no doubt. However, McD worked for a great coach, so did Haley, and we know how those turned out. Not saying Mckenzie will suck, but I think the odds equal between being good or being terrible.

Italianmobstr7
08-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Lets worry about the Raiders when they're actually a threat. As of right now they're a trash team with mostly trash players & even if that changes 3 or 4 years down the road, it's not changed right now. Our front office isn't all that bad either ya know?

zbeg
08-30-2013, 08:06 PM
He has worked for some great GMs, no doubt. However, McD worked for a great coach, so did Haley, and we know how those turned out. Not saying Mckenzie will suck, but I think the odds equal between being good or being terrible.

That's a fair point. It's an upgrade from "guaranteed terrible as long as Al Davis is alive," which was my concern, but we'll see.