PDA

View Full Version : Peyton asks for fans help on 4th downs

Spiritguy
08-28-2013, 12:47 PM
DENVER -- When teams play at home, they expect to be able to use that crowd as a competitive advantage.
Peyton Manning (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/peyton-manning/5e49338e-cd44-4226-9451-f111c0eb767d/) is asking for help from Broncos Country to maximize that edge.

A loud crowd makes things difficult for offenses that rely on a lot of pre-snap communication. That’s why it’s common to see defensive players gesturing to the fans to make noise.

But you’ll never see an offensive player doing that at home as life is a lot easier for the quarterback and his receivers to communicate if they can hear each other before the snap.

During Saturday’s preseason win vs. St. Louis, the crowd got excited when it was apparent that Manning and the offense would go for it on fourth-and-1 from the St. Louis 6-yard line in the first quarter.

Manning quickly tried to quiet the crowd down so he and the offense could get on the same page for the important snap. It worked, as he and Demaryius Thomas (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/demaryius-thomas/a951744a-72dd-4748-a461-02fc06668e12/) connected for the 6-yard touchdown.

Talking with Broncos play-by-play broadcaster Dave Logan on AM 850 KOA Tuesday afternoon, Manning reached out to Broncos fans for their assistance.

“When we’re on the field on offense – I love our fans’ excitement – but if we can just find that controlled noise level,” he said with a laugh on the show. “I believe we are going to go for it on some fourth downs this year and maybe not cheering when we’re going for it on fourth down – wait and see and if we get it, cheer then. To me, it’s a hard thing. These fans have so much enthusiasm, but for a receivers' standpoint, you’d love to have that homefield advantage where you wouldn’t have to signal at home.”

The quarterback even offered a suggestion on how to solve the issue on gamedays.

“I don’t know, maybe there’s a leader in each section in the stands, we’ll take some voting polls, have a campaign,” Manning said. “But that’s what you want, a guy to say, fourth-and-1, they’re going for it – I don’t know if that’s possible, I don’t know how to get that message relayed, but any help we can get out there from Broncos fans, we’ll take.”

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Asks-For-Fans-Help-on-Offense/014cbf79-492f-4d20-8cbc-97a2edaa9be6

One of the folks over at IAOFM where I first saw this suggested this: "How about we all just go completely silent and do the same "bird in flight" move Peyton does when he's trying to quiet the crowd. I think it would look awesome." That would be interesting to see on TV.

Spiritguy
08-28-2013, 01:00 PM
found this little snippet over at MHR: According to IAOFM.com's Douglas Lee (http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/a-second-helping-of-john-foxs-lame-fourth-down-decision-making), Manning is 45-of-63 for 323 yards, nine scores, and zero picks, with a 122.6 rating over his past three seasons (including 2009 and 2010 with the Colts (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/indianapolis-colts)) when going for it on third and fourth down situations with two or fewer yards to go. He has converted 86-of-131 tries, which is a 65.5 percent success rate.

Mike
08-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Denver has some dumb fans.

Spiritguy
08-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Maybe they're just rusty and not in "season" form yet. hahaha Nah, just dumb.

Tned
08-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Maybe they're just rusty and not in "season" form yet. hahaha Nah, just dumb.

At the playoff game last year, there were so many times the fans were roaring when the Broncos were on offense. Me and many others (I'm sure throughout the stadium) where shushing people and asking for quiet when the team was on offense.

Ravage!!!
08-28-2013, 01:15 PM
One of the folks over at IAOFM where I first saw this suggested this: "How about we all just go completely silent and do the same "bird in flight" move Peyton does when he's trying to quiet the crowd. I think it would look awesome." That would be interesting to see on TV.

I would love to see that

G_Money
08-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Broncos fans need to watch college teams like West Virginia play. When they're on offense you can hear a pindrop, or the sound of the running back scratching his ass. When they're on defense you can't hear anything but the crowd. It ain't that hard to figure out.

I would love to see a stadium full of flapping arms and hushed voices til the snap of the ball though. That would be tremendous. :D

~G

slim
08-28-2013, 01:53 PM
The fact that he even has to bring it up is pretty freaking embarrassing.

BroncoWave
08-28-2013, 02:32 PM
The fact that he even has to bring it up is pretty freaking embarrassing.

Just imagine how much dumber our in-stadium fans will be this season when they are high out of their minds.

Buff
08-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Have you ever tried to get one drunk to quiet down? Try that 70,000 times over.

UnderArmour
08-28-2013, 03:43 PM
I went to the Cleveland game last year and sat in the upper deck of the end zone. When we were trying to SHHHHH people while Manning was motioning for the crowd to shut the hell up, some season ticket holders were whining "it's not like he's going to come up here!". You would think fans would want their team to convert first downs. Guess not.

ShaneFalco
08-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Just imagine how much dumber our in-stadium fans will be this season when they are high out of their minds.
HIGH OUT OF THEIR MINDS! THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT DOWN IT IS!!!!!!

Could you imagine if they sold alcohol at games? A bunch of loud drunk.......oh wait.

slim
08-28-2013, 05:49 PM
:brokenrecord:

Italianmobstr7
08-28-2013, 06:07 PM
At the playoff game last year, there were so many times the fans were roaring when the Broncos were on offense. Me and many others (I'm sure throughout the stadium) where shushing people and asking for quiet when the team was on offense.

Yep.. Same thing vs the Bucs. So frustrating that people don't know when to shut the heck up.

Spiritguy
08-28-2013, 06:20 PM
With this being about going for it on 4th down, thought some of you might like this article that gets into 4th down decision making.

In this post I'll explain, as clearly and simply as possible, why the evidence points to a more aggressive attack on 4th down.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/09/4th-down-study-part-1.html

MOtorboat
08-28-2013, 08:22 PM
:brokenrecord:

It's the song that goes on and on and on...

OrangeHoof
08-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Oh, hell, everyone knows they're going to run it into the line on 4th-and-1 and get stuffed. What's so friggin hard about that?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2013, 09:16 PM
After 14 seasons in Indianapolis, Peyton Manning had Colts fans trained like prize show dogs. They only cheered when they were supposed to. Denver Broncos fans have a long way to go.

"When we're on the field on offense -- I love our fans' excitement -- but if we can just find that controlled noise level," the Broncos quarterback said with a laugh on KOA-AM, via the team's official website. "I believe we are going to go for it on some fourth downs this year and maybe not cheering when we're going for it on fourth down -- wait and see and if we get it, cheer then.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000235051/article/peyton-manning-asks-denver-broncos-fans-for-quiet

There is a great video on the link with Peyton talking with some lady on NFL Network, about a band he was in, about the Broncos' WR's, etc.

Magnificent Seven
08-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Simple. Quiet on offense. Bring the noise on defense!

Broncolingus
08-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Denver has some dumb fans.

"Donksters"

sneakers
08-30-2013, 06:02 AM
DENVER -- When teams play at home, they expect to be able to use that crowd as a competitive advantage.
Peyton Manning (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/peyton-manning/5e49338e-cd44-4226-9451-f111c0eb767d/) is asking for help from Broncos Country to maximize that edge.

A loud crowd makes things difficult for offenses that rely on a lot of pre-snap communication. That’s why it’s common to see defensive players gesturing to the fans to make noise.

But you’ll never see an offensive player doing that at home as life is a lot easier for the quarterback and his receivers to communicate if they can hear each other before the snap.

During Saturday’s preseason win vs. St. Louis, the crowd got excited when it was apparent that Manning and the offense would go for it on fourth-and-1 from the St. Louis 6-yard line in the first quarter.

Manning quickly tried to quiet the crowd down so he and the offense could get on the same page for the important snap. It worked, as he and Demaryius Thomas (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/demaryius-thomas/a951744a-72dd-4748-a461-02fc06668e12/) connected for the 6-yard touchdown.

Talking with Broncos play-by-play broadcaster Dave Logan on AM 850 KOA Tuesday afternoon, Manning reached out to Broncos fans for their assistance.

“When we’re on the field on offense – I love our fans’ excitement – but if we can just find that controlled noise level,” he said with a laugh on the show. “I believe we are going to go for it on some fourth downs this year and maybe not cheering when we’re going for it on fourth down – wait and see and if we get it, cheer then. To me, it’s a hard thing. These fans have so much enthusiasm, but for a receivers' standpoint, you’d love to have that homefield advantage where you wouldn’t have to signal at home.”

The quarterback even offered a suggestion on how to solve the issue on gamedays.

“I don’t know, maybe there’s a leader in each section in the stands, we’ll take some voting polls, have a campaign,” Manning said. “But that’s what you want, a guy to say, fourth-and-1, they’re going for it – I don’t know if that’s possible, I don’t know how to get that message relayed, but any help we can get out there from Broncos fans, we’ll take.”

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Asks-For-Fans-Help-on-Offense/014cbf79-492f-4d20-8cbc-97a2edaa9be6

why your font all weird? it is frightening

Spiritguy
08-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Copy paste sneaker, copy paste. ;)