PDA

View Full Version : Sad News On The Injury Front

Cugel
08-28-2013, 12:24 PM
We all know that Quinton Carter and J.D. Walton have been hobbled by injuries the last 2 years, but this news is discouraging:

Quinton Carter, J.D. Walton moved by Broncos off active roster (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23954487/quinton-carter-j-d-walton-moved-by-broncos)

The Broncos made their final two roster moves before the 2 p.m. Tuesday deadline by placing strong safety Quinton Carter on season-ending injured reserve and center J.D. Walton on the reserve/physically unable to perform (PUP) list.

Walton must sit out the first six weeks of the season. There is an additional three-week window before the team has to make its next move of either activating him or placing him on season-ending injured reserve.

The move essentially means the Broncos are holding out hope Walton can return by their Week 10 game Nov. 10 at San Diego

A third-round draft pick in 2010, Walton was the Broncos' starting center the first 38 games (including playoffs) of his career before he suffered a dislocated left ankle last season in Game 4 against the Oakland Raiders.

His comeback was hindered by an infection that sidelined him through the offseason, training camp and preseason. Dan Koppen replaced him at center last year, but when Koppen suffered a season-ending knee injury last month, Manny Ramirez became the starting snapper for Peyton Manning.

The Broncos CAN bring Walton off IR if his condition improves, but not until week 11. Carter is done for the year and probably his career is over before it really even began. Walton had an ankle injury and has been hobbled for 2 years now.

Carter was a fourth-round pick of the Broncos in the 2011 draft and started 12 games (including playoffs) as a rookie. But he suffered a knee injury that was aggravated during a 2012 training-camp practice in the team's indoor facility.

Carter played sparingly in three games last season, then went on injured reserve. His knee was repaired by a microfracture procedure that is known to work but has a longer healing period.

Carter participated in a week or so of training-camp practices before his knee acted up.

Basically, Carter hasn't been healthy since July 2012. He had micro-fracture surgery to repair the knee. This is where they drill lots of tiny holes in the knee bone, which bleed and then the hope is that the body will regrow part of the knee cartilage that will allow him to take the pounding of football.

Courtney Brown had the same operation. Same result too. He was able to go for a couple of weeks in practice, before the knee swelled up to the point where he could no longer perform. Same thing with Carter now. Best case scenario is that it takes a couple of years. He could possibly return next season, but it's probable that the same thing is going to happen -- the knee swells up and he can't continue. (Remember Terrell Davis at the end of his career?)

Courtney Brown had to retire without ever playing any regular season football after the 2005 season. Looks like Carter is on his way out of the NFL too. He can't even get out of the pre-season two years in a row.

Sad too because he showed a lot of promise in his rookie season, and the Broncos could use the help in the secondary.

As for Walton, we have to keep our fingers crossed that he can come back this season, because Manny Ramirez ain't the real deal. But, that's not the way to bet.

silkamilkamonico
08-28-2013, 12:50 PM
None of this is a surprise. Been hearing for weeks now that Walton very well not be able to play effectively at all this year. It pretty much makes Lilja, who has looked horrible in camp just because he was mentally checked out couple months ago and not in football shape.

It will be interesting to see what the front office does, if there is anything to do at this point, to protect itself moving forward at the center position for this year. It isn't bad right now, but that is one nagging injury away from being a terrible, terrible situation.

Who's Manny's backup right now?

Tned
08-28-2013, 01:05 PM
None of this is a surprise. Been hearing for weeks now that Walton very well not be able to play effectively at all this year. It pretty much makes Lilja, who has looked horrible in camp just because he was mentally checked out couple months ago and not in football shape.

It will be interesting to see what the front office does, if there is anything to do at this point, to protect itself moving forward at the center position for this year. It isn't bad right now, but that is one nagging injury away from being a terrible, terrible situation.

Who's Manny's backup right now?

Center we signed or traded for, maybe from Seattle I think.

Tned
08-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Center we signed or traded for, maybe from Seattle I think.

He and the Lilja (who I forgot about) who was the KC center and the Broncos pulled him out of retirement. I think he just started practicing again (I think he had a knee injury).

underrated29
08-28-2013, 01:14 PM
The broncos can bring walton back after week 6. Not 11 cuges. However, he will likely not be able to play by then. We must make amove with him as you say by week 11, however, from what the article states if he pulls an Adrian peterson he could potentially be back in orange week 7.

Cugel
08-28-2013, 05:45 PM
The broncos can bring walton back after week 6. Not 11 cuges. However, he will likely not be able to play by then. We must make amove with him as you say by week 11, however, from what the article states if he pulls an Adrian peterson he could potentially be back in orange week 7.

He's not coming back week 7. He'll be lucky if he can play at all this season. The Broncos will be fortunate if both of these players can ever come back and be productive again.

When you add the injury to Chris Kuper that looks to be a potential season ending injury this is just not looking good overall.

One thing that distinguishes this team from the 1997-98 team is that that team had tremendous luck with few key injuries. This team is just suffering one after another.

When they lost Walton and Kuper likely for the season, they re-signed Dan Koppen out of retirement who did a good job last year -- only to see him go down immediately with probably career ending injury. Then Lilja was brought in to back up Ramirez.

It will take him a while to get adjusted.

Starting the season with the Ravens and Giants on the road is not going to help a team that seems to be struggling at multiple positions.

Special teams seem to be the weakest link. The Ravens have dangerous return men and the Broncos are giving up huge plays.

MOtorboat
08-28-2013, 08:28 PM
He's not coming back week 7. He'll be lucky if he can play at all this season. The Broncos will be fortunate if both of these players can ever come back and be productive again.

This is based on?

pnbronco
08-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Actually JD looked better than I had seen him in a long time. They had to take to screws out to clear up the infection and didn't put anything back in. It seems to be healing really well. He was walking with just a support sock on, no limp. When I asked him how things were going he's reply was better than it has in a long time instead of the normal fine statement they always say. Of course who knows what kind of shape he's in and how long it will take to get into football shape once he can really practice again.

Dapper Dan
08-28-2013, 11:53 PM
That's sad about QCarter. The dude played pretty decent as a rookie. I was hoping to watch him get better, not sit on the IR. Ugh.

sneakers
08-29-2013, 06:32 AM
We all know that Quinton Carter and J.D. Walton have been hobbled by injuries the last 2 years, but this news is discouraging:

The Broncos CAN bring Walton off IR if his condition improves, but not until week 11. Carter is done for the year and probably his career is over before it really even began. Walton had an ankle injury and has been hobbled for 2 years now.

Basically, Carter hasn't been healthy since July 2012. He had micro-fracture surgery to repair the knee. This is where they drill lots of tiny holes in the knee bone, which bleed and then the hope is that the body will regrow part of the knee cartilage that will allow him to take the pounding of football.

Courtney Brown had the same operation. Same result too. He was able to go for a couple of weeks in practice, before the knee swelled up to the point where he could no longer perform. Same thing with Carter now. Best case scenario is that it takes a couple of years. He could possibly return next season, but it's probable that the same thing is going to happen -- the knee swells up and he can't continue. (Remember Terrell Davis at the end of his career?)

Courtney Brown had to retire without ever playing any regular season football after the 2005 season. Looks like Carter is on his way out of the NFL too. He can't even get out of the pre-season two years in a row.

Sad too because he showed a lot of promise in his rookie season, and the Broncos could use the help in the secondary.

As for Walton, we have to keep our fingers crossed that he can come back this season, because Manny Ramirez ain't the real deal. But, that's not the way to bet.

Anytime they start drilling holes in your knee under any circumstance, things just aren't going to be the same

Cugel
08-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Anytime they start drilling holes in your knee under any circumstance, things just aren't going to be the same

Sometimes it works enough for the player to return to playing for a time. But, no. The surgically repaired knee is not as good as having your original knee cartilage.

Believe me I know first hand! I used to like to run long distances when I was younger. Now my knees hurt whenever I go running and I have to run very slowly indeed. The old cartilage ain't what it used to be.

And that's no fun at all.

BroncoNut
08-29-2013, 10:13 AM
we are going to be pretty disappointing this year. mark my words.