PDA

View Full Version : Mind-blowing stats for the Denver Broncos

Magnificent Seven
08-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Interesting. You have to go this link and see it for yourself.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000234614#photo=1

Army Bronco
08-26-2013, 10:43 PM
The stat that was most surprising was the Rod Smith with Glyn Milburns a close second. I remember when we drafted Glyn but don't remember much from him.

MasterShake
08-26-2013, 10:49 PM

My personal favorite:

Dominating the division

Since Pat Bowlen bought the Broncos in 1984, they have dominated the AFC West. In the past 29 years, the Broncos have more wins, winning seasons, division titles (10), playoff appearances (15), AFC Championships (5) and Super Bowl wins (2) than any other team in their division. From 1996 to 1998, the Broncos had 46 wins (regular and postseason), the most over a three-year span in NFL history.

DenBronx
08-27-2013, 01:29 AM
I wasnt suprised at all by the Rod Smith stats.

It is a total sham he isnt in the HOF and I want justice dammit!!!

BroncoWave
08-27-2013, 08:13 AM

Well I hope you aren't losing much sleep over it, because Rod Smith ain't getting in the hall of fame. Better WRs than him have had to wait way longer.

CoachChaz
08-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Well I hope you aren't losing much sleep over it, because Rod Smith ain't getting in the hall of fame. Better WRs than him have had to wait way longer.

But equal WR's are already there. I always like to do blind comparisons with local Cowbiys fans. I show them Rod's numbers and achievements and compare them with Irvin's. They are pretty much equal.

BroncoWave
08-27-2013, 08:21 AM
But equal WR's are already there. I always like to do blind comparisons with local Cowbiys fans. I show them Rod's numbers and achievements and compare them with Irvin's. They are pretty much equal.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, but given how hard a time WRs have getting in and given how Rod was never a huge name, I just don't see him ever getting in. At least any time soon.

Thnikkaman
08-27-2013, 08:31 AM
All that does is remind me how lucky we've been in the Pat Bowlen era of the Denver Broncos, and I hope whoever the next owner is continues his "Tradition of Excellence".

Northman
08-27-2013, 09:37 AM
The stat that was most surprising was the Rod Smith with Glyn Milburns a close second. I remember when we drafted Glyn but don't remember much from him.

"HE TOO BIG!!!"

Milburn i believe is the one on camera saying that about the fatboy from the Packers/Broncos SB. I want to say he was from my area but cant remember.

The Rod Smith thing i kind of knew except for the how he compares to Irvin. That is actually quite a amazing feat for Rod. So proud.

TD- knew all that which is why im very big on the theory he belongs in the HOF.

Doom- Dont get me started....

Culter- Ooh look, he made a list. Awesome, let the haters hate. lol

Mr Bojangles
08-27-2013, 09:46 AM

The Manning record in the cold is the one to watch. He has been a dome QB his whole career and does seem to suffer outdoors, especially in January.

And while the "average" temperature in East Rutherford on Feb 2 may be 29 degrees, the night time average temp is a whole lot lower than that, I'm sure.

I think the League made a foolish decision on playing an outdoor game, this far north, in February, as the potential weather will be a negative for any player, and some more than others, such as Manning.

Ravage!!!
08-27-2013, 09:53 AM
The Manning record in the cold is the one to watch. He has been a dome QB his whole career and does seem to suffer outdoors, especially in January.

And while the "average" temperature in East Rutherford on Feb 2 may be 29 degrees, the night time average temp is a whole lot lower than that, I'm sure.

I think the League made a foolish decision on playing an outdoor game, this far north, in February, as the potential weather will be a negative for any player, and some more than others, such as Manning.

Yeah.. that's just an overblown stat that seems to be repeated because its "fun." It's one of those stats that doesn't mean squat in reality. He's been a dome player, so what? I know you NE guys think that the outdoor stats really means something, but it like saying "Tampa Bay has never won when temps were below 80"...until they do. Then that stat was just another stupid thing to keep track of.

It's like baseball. He's the best "left handed" shortstop to ever play. Dumb stat.

Unless you would like to concede that Eli is just a better Super Bowl QB than Brady, and that Brady just can't beat Eli when it counts.

Dzone
08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Travesty! TD is better than 95% of the running backs in the HOF

Terrell Davis

It's only fitting that a man nicknamed TD holds the record for the most touchdowns by a player in his first four seasons. After being named Super Bowl MVP in a 31-24 win over the Green Bay Packers during his third season, Terrell Davis rushed for 2,008 yards with 23 total touchdowns in his fourth season. His marks of 56 rushing touchdowns and 61 total touchdowns are the most by any player over their first four years.

Army Bronco
08-27-2013, 10:41 AM

"HE TOO BIG!!!"

Milburn i believe is the one on camera saying that about the fatboy from the Packers/Broncos SB. I want to say he was from my area but cant remember.

The Rod Smith thing i kind of knew except for the how he compares to Irvin. That is actually quite a amazing feat for Rod. So proud.

TD- knew all that which is why im very big on the theory he belongs in the HOF.

Doom- Dont get me started....

Culter- Ooh look, he made a list. Awesome, let the haters hate. lolCutler should make the list for the strongest arm in the universe.

Northman
08-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Yeah.. that's just an overblown stat that seems to be repeated because its "fun." It's one of those stats that doesn't mean squat in reality. He's been a dome player, so what? I know you NE guys think that the outdoor stats really means something, but it like saying "Tampa Bay has never won when temps were below 80"...until they do. Then that stat was just another stupid thing to keep track of.

It's like baseball. He's the best "left handed" shortstop to ever play. Dumb stat.

Unless you would like to concede that Eli is just a better Super Bowl QB than Brady, and that Brady just can't beat Eli when it counts.

To be fair, i think his stance has some merit. Its not the be all end all but i think it does provide some insight to how comfortable a guy like Manning is with his surroundings. Marino was sort of the same way. Granted, Manning has come to Denver and won with bad weather but i do think some QB's seem to excell far more in inclimate weather than others. The cold weather in Denver was one of my concerns with Peyton because of his track history in the postseason when playing in cold weather. He had a good game vs the Ravens but you could tell it was bothering him more than Flacco that day.

Northman
08-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Cutler should make the list for the strongest arm in the universe.

http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/jay-cutler-smokin.png

Army Bronco
08-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Cutler should make the list for the strongest arm in the universe.

http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/jay-cutler-smokin.png He probably through it from one end zone through the other goal post and hit a fly he was aiming at.

The Glue Factory
08-27-2013, 02:17 PM

Re: Glyn Milburn

A forgettable RB for the Broncos. Other than that one surprising game, what did he do?

For the record:
131 yards rushing as RB.
228 as a kick returner.
45 by reception.

Not what I would call a stellar performance by a running back.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Re: Glyn Milburn

A forgettable RB for the Broncos. Other than that one surprising game, what did he do?

For the record:
131 yards rushing as RB.
228 as a kick returner.
45 by reception.

Not what I would call a stellar performance by a running back.

No, but for a few years he was pretty dangerous as a return guy. Didn't he go to Detroit after a brief stint with the Broncos?

Mr Bojangles
08-27-2013, 03:23 PM

I'm not going to get dragged into a debate in this thread with someone who claims such stats "doesn't mean squat". Those stats along with actual game history, bear out my POV, not yours. Did you get a good look at Manning's face and body language during the Ravens' PO game last year? You think he wasn't uncomfortable and a little out of his element? OK. And your Tampa Bay example is ridiculous and misleading 'cause I never said or implied that Manning couldn't win in the cold...just that he has historically been one of those guys who didn't fare well under cold, raw conditions.

powderaddict
08-27-2013, 03:54 PM
I wonder if it’s the temperature that bothers Manning, or the fact that when playing in the cold in January typically he has been on the road against top competition.

This past January being the outlier. An outlier in which the game was won if not for Ayers not batting down the ball in the 3 man rush at the end of regulation.

Northman
08-27-2013, 04:09 PM
They would of still had at least another play/plays. Manning had a shot to have a game ending drive in OT and shat himself.

Jsteve01
08-27-2013, 11:09 PM
They would of still had at least another play/plays. Manning had a shot to have a game ending drive in OT and shat himself.

wait what? I was under the impression all this time that Moore didn't convert the run on third down and threw the last pick. Where the hell have I been/

zbeg
08-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Interesting stats, but come on headline writer - stop with the hyperbole. "Mindblowing?"

Mindblowing is like the time where the cab driver hit a guy riding a moped, killing him. Then a year later on the same street, the same taxi with the same driver hit the original victim's brother riding the same moped with the same passenger in the back seat.

That's mindblowing.

Or
"If every star in our galaxy had a trillion planets, each with a trillion people living on them, and each of these people has a trillion packs of cards and somehow they manage to make unique shuffles 1,000 times per second, and they'd been doing that since the Big Bang, they'd only just now be starting to repeat shuffles."

Let's not just put a collection of interesting facts and prop it up as "OMG MINDBLOWING LOL" just to create more hits.

The Glue Factory
08-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Interesting stats, but come on headline writer - stop with the hyperbole. "Mindblowing?"

Mindblowing is like the time where the cab driver hit a guy riding a moped, killing him. Then a year later on the same street, the same taxi with the same driver hit the original victim's brother riding the same moped with the same passenger in the back seat.

That's mindblowing.

Or
"If every star in our galaxy had a trillion planets, each with a trillion people living on them, and each of these people has a trillion packs of cards and somehow they manage to make unique shuffles 1,000 times per second, and they'd been doing that since the Big Bang, they'd only just now be starting to repeat shuffles."

Let's not just put a collection of interesting facts and prop it up as "OMG MINDBLOWING LOL" just to create more hits.

I regret that I can high five this post but once.

BroncoWave
08-30-2013, 02:33 PM

That's mindblowing.

Or

This is an even dumber thing to get outraged about than the Flacco banner on our stadium.

Joel
08-30-2013, 03:05 PM

C'mon, left-handed shortstops have no significant dis/advantages over righties, but cold weather GREATLY affects football. What's the most famous grueling game in NFL history?

Manning grew up in Louisiana, spent his whole pro career in a dome till last year and is 0-4 in playoff games with temps <40°. Those are non-trivial facts, not just in playoff terms, but in terms of the additional fact Mile High is right up there with Lambeau as one of the coldest NFL stadiums. How many people have commented on how soft Manning looked in our last playoff game, that the cold clearly seemed to affect him?

I guarantee PFM often thinks of how cold Mile High winters are; if he didn't before January, he definitely did in the offseason. He'll think about it next offseason, too....

Joel
08-30-2013, 03:07 PM
I wonder if it’s the temperature that bothers Manning, or the fact that when playing in the cold in January typically he has been on the road against top competition.

This past January being the outlier. An outlier in which the game was won if not for Ayers not batting down the ball in the 3 man rush at the end of regulation.
So we're going to blame a DE for not playing pass coverage better than FS? I guess that makes sense now that the most important FS skill is blitzing. :tongue:

Ravage!!!
08-30-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm not going to get dragged into a debate in this thread with someone who claims such stats "doesn't mean squat". Those stats along with actual game history, bear out my POV, not yours. Did you get a good look at Manning's face and body language during the Ravens' PO game last year? You think he wasn't uncomfortable and a little out of his element? OK. And your Tampa Bay example is ridiculous and misleading 'cause I never said or implied that Manning couldn't win in the cold...just that he has historically been one of those guys who didn't fare well under cold, raw conditions.

Right... as I stated. The "hasn't done" examples are pretty lame because we all know its not really a "can't win"..but a "hasn't won." They are completely different and why I t hink such stats are pretty ridiculous. Manning's play didn't keep us from winning that Baltimore game, and everyone knows it. It's like saying "going by all the given data, Brady can't beat a Manning in the Super Bowl." It's a stupid statement based on a stat that means absolutely nothing.

Ravage!!!
08-30-2013, 03:18 PM
C'mon, left-handed shortstops have no significant dis/advantages over righties, but cold weather GREATLY affects football. What's the most famous grueling game in NFL history?

Manning grew up in Louisiana, spent his whole pro career in a dome till last year and is 0-4 in playoff games with temps <40°. Those are non-trivial facts, not just in playoff terms, but in terms of the additional fact Mile High is right up there with Lambeau as one of the coldest NFL stadiums. How many people have commented on how soft Manning looked in our last playoff game, that the cold clearly seemed to affect him?

I guarantee PFM often thinks of how cold Mile High winters are; if he didn't before January, he definitely did in the offseason. He'll think about it next offseason, too....

wow... so now you are going to use "how many comments" there have been to use as affirmation to your statement? Really? Because then how come you aren't using that same "statistical analysis" when it comes to Tebow and how many comments there have been on just how poor of a QB he is?

As far as your guarantee......well..... that can't mean less.

Joel
08-30-2013, 04:32 PM
wow... so now you are going to use "how many comments" there have been to use as affirmation to your statement? Really? Because then how come you aren't using that same "statistical analysis" when it comes to Tebow and how many comments there have been on just how poor of a QB he is?

As far as your guarantee......well..... that can't mean less.
Okay, sure: Throughout a four hour playoff game in the mid-twenties Manning looked just like he always does, not bad, then progressively worse. Peyton Freakin' Manning routinely has 3 turnovers and puts up worse passing stats with better receivers than Joe Freaking Flacco when he hosts him, though that bodes ill for our opener. I want it to be true, therefore it was, and don't confuse me with facts.

One thing about "meaningless" stats: Commentators stop quoting them when they cease to be true—and no sooner. People will keep citing PFMs 0fer near-freezing playoff record till he wins ones of those games. Since Mile High's his home stadium now, I "want" that to be very soon.