PDA

View Full Version : Frei: Manny Ramirez in line driver's seat at center

Denver Native (Carol)
08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
In my discussion with Broncos offensive line coach Dave Magazu last week, I was working up to a question about center Manny Ramirez. As a preface, I mentioned that I was among those who had been waiting for the converted veteran guard to be supplanted in the starting lineup. I was going to add that by last week, it also was apparent that Ramirez wasn't going to be easily dislodged.

But before I got to the question — yes, my prefaces often are longer than my questions — Magazu stopped me.

"Why?" he asked.

"Why what?" I responded wittily.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/frei/ci_23940554/ramirez-line-drivers-seat-at-center

dogfish
08-26-2013, 12:02 PM
terrifying. . .

Dzone
08-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Good article. Manny is getting better. I only remember one penalty against the rams

BroncoWave
08-26-2013, 12:20 PM
terrifying. . .

I see it as a good sign that he playing well enough to keep all of these other centers we keep bringing in from taking his spot. Remember, even before Koppen got hurt Ramirez was still the starting center.

Dzone
08-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Manny Ramirez will be in the pro bowl and silence all critics LOL..
Manny is strong. Hes tough. He can fight. He isnt going to give up the top spot without a fight
Screw it. Im glad he is starting.

NightTrainLayne
08-26-2013, 12:33 PM
This aligns with what Pat Kirwin, and Tim Ryan said after visiting our camp two weeks ago. Pat basically said that if you were waiting for someone to supplant Ramirez, that it wasn't likely going to happen. Prepare for Ramirez to be our starting center for the season and Lilja to be a capable back-up if something happens to Ramirez.

CoachChaz
08-26-2013, 12:33 PM
People will hate without even knowing why they hate.

Cugel
08-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Anybody who thinks this is "good news" has to be higher than . . . . Von Miller!

Ramirez is center by default. You don't bring in THREE different veteran centers and try them all out if you have confidence in your starter. I don't care what B.S. the Broncos coaches are telling the media or what public relations spin Peyton Manning gives the media.

Actions speak louder than words. With J.D. Walton and Chris Kuper injured this OL is piss-weak and not just at center. In fact, Ryan Clady and Zane Beadles are the ONLY linemen on the entire team we can have real confidence in -- and Clady has been injured.

This team is not living up to the S.B. hype at all. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the defense beaten like a gong, no pass rush worth mentioning without Miller and Dumervil, weakness in the secondary with Champ Bailey out and hobbled for an extended period, and a patch-work OL that puts enormous pressure on Peyton Manning and can't run the ball effectively.

Oh, and let's not forget Ronnie "Butter-fingers" Hillman passion for coughing up the ball. I just hope that Montee Ball can learn to pass block FAST because they desperately need him to become the starter, and Knowshon to back him up. Perhaps even reverse those two.

BroncoWave
08-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Anybody who thinks this is "good news" has to be higher than . . . . Von Miller!

Ramirez is center by default. You don't bring in THREE different veteran centers and try them all out if you have confidence in your starter. I don't care what B.S. the Broncos coaches are telling the media or what public relations spin Peyton Manning gives the media.

Actions speak louder than words. With J.D. Walton and Chris Kuper injured this OL is piss-weak and not just at center. In fact, Ryan Clady and Zane Beadles are the ONLY linemen on the entire team we can have real confidence in -- and Clady has been injured.

This team is not living up to the S.B. hype at all. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the defense beaten like a gong, no pass rush worth mentioning without Miller and Dumervil, weakness in the secondary with Champ Bailey out and hobbled for an extended period, and a patch-work OL that puts enormous pressure on Peyton Manning and can't run the ball effectively.

Oh, and let's not forget Ronnie "Butter-fingers" Hillman passion for coughing up the ball. I just hope that Montee Ball can learn to pass block FAST because they desperately need him to become the starter, and Knowshon to back him up. Perhaps even reverse those two.

We currently have a leader in the clubhouse for overreaction post of the year for 2013. :lol:

MOtorboat
08-26-2013, 12:52 PM

Settle down Beavis, preseason isn't even over.

Mike
08-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Did you watch the game against the Rams? I am far from a fan, but Ramirez did play better. The entire line did. Enough to take it down the major concern list. Much more concerned about the special teams and turnovers. This team will be fine. They don't look like a ST yet, but they look good enough to take the AFCW to get to the playoffs. We can all start chicken littling around week 9 if things continue to look the same.

BroncoWave
08-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Did you watch the game against the Rams? I am far from a fan, but Ramirez did play better. The entire line did. Enough to take it down the major concern list. Much more concerned about the special teams and turnovers. This team will be fine. They don't look like a ST yet, but they look good enough to take the AFCW to get to the playoffs. We can all start chicken littling around week 9 if things continue to look the same.

And that's against a Rams team that has a pretty darn good d-line.

Dzone
08-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Hahaha Butterfingers Hillman :pound: He was on the 10 oclock news sports and they put up a picture of Ronnie Hillman superimposed over a butterfinger candy bar LOL

Broncolingus
08-29-2013, 07:56 PM
manny ramirez will be in the pro bowl and silence all critics lol..

(...jk, zone...)

Ravage!!!
08-30-2013, 10:54 AM

wow.. major overreaction.

You keep talking about the coaches bringing in people for center to replace Ramirez and how that shows no confidence...yet.... none can beat him out. So what does that tell you? It tells me that he's the best available, and considering EVERY team has to deeal with injuries and then play best available, Ramirez has proved to be that person.

You forgot to mention the OL from SD we hired, that has looked very good since coming to denver.

As far as "not living up to SB hype"..... then maybe you need to stop listening to the "hype"...and come back down to ground level for a while.

jeeesh

BroncoWave
08-30-2013, 11:14 AM

You keep talking about the coaches bringing in people for center to replace Ramirez and how that shows no confidence...yet.... none can beat him out. So what does that tell you? It tells me that he's the best available, and considering EVERY team has to deeal with injuries and then play best available, Ramirez has proved to be that person.

You forgot to mention the OL from SD we hired, that has looked very good since coming to denver.

As far as "not living up to SB hype"..... then maybe you need to stop listening to the "hype"...and come back down to ground level for a while.

jeeesh

I dunno Rav, you can usually tell based off preseason play if a team is good enough to win the Super Bowl or not!

slim
08-30-2013, 11:19 AM

You keep talking about the coaches bringing in people for center to replace Ramirez and how that shows no confidence...yet.... none can beat him out. So what does that tell you?
jeeesh

It tells me that everyone they have brought in to replace him has gotten injured.

Manny is the center by default...

BroncoWave
08-30-2013, 11:22 AM
It tells me that everyone they have brought in to replace him has gotten injured.

Manny is the center by default...

Manny was starting over Koppen before Koppen got injured.

slim
08-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Manny was starting over Koppen before Koppen got injured.

Yes, I understand. Hillman was starting also, but he was clearly not the best option. See how this works?

BroncoWave
08-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Yes, I understand. Hillman was starting also, but he was clearly not the best option. See how this works?

Fair enough. I'm just not convinced that Manny is as horrible an option at center as many others think. He seemed to improve throughout the preseason. He's had all of camp to adjust to the starting role as well. We'd all obviously rather have a better center, but I don't think having Manny there will tank our season or anything.

TXBRONC
08-30-2013, 11:37 AM

Same here but facts are facts his first priority is to make sure he gets the snap back to Manning. I don't think he's blown a snap yet.

Dapper Dan
08-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Same here but facts are facts his first priority is to make sure he gets the snap back to Manning. I don't think he's blown a snap yet.

Which is usually the case when someone converts to Center. Good point.

TXBRONC
08-30-2013, 11:45 AM
I think Cugel is just shell shocked from such a tumultuous offseason.

topscribe
08-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Fair enough. I'm just not convinced that Manny is as horrible an option at center as many others think. He seemed to improve throughout the preseason. He's had all of camp to adjust to the starting role as well. We'd all obviously rather have a better center, but I don't think having Manny there will tank our season or anything.
I don't think Manny is horrible, either. But, as you implied, there are better
centers. The Broncos are simply looking for a better center . . .

BroncoWave
08-30-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't think Manny is horrible, either. But, as you implied, there are better
centers. The Broncos are simply looking for a better center . . .

And so far none of those guys have managed to overtake Manny. I tend to look at that as a positive that Manny is playing well enough to hold his spot. I think we will all welcome Walton back, however.

Ravage!!!
08-30-2013, 03:34 PM
I dunno. I have NOT been impressed with Walton. I admit that he was a guy that I was hopign we would draft, but man, he's been a disappointment thus far.

TXBRONC
08-31-2013, 07:08 AM
I dunno. I have NOT been impressed with Walton. I admit that he was a guy that I was hopign we would draft, but man, he's been a disappointment thus far.

There is something about him that Fox likes. Like Ramirez, Walton does a good job of not botching the snap.