PDA

View Full Version : Got to really stop with the turnovers

Northman
08-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Just not going to win very many football games turning the ball over the way we do. Its preseason but these are things that plagued us in our losses last year too. Got to get much better.

jhildebrand
08-25-2013, 12:34 AM
This team needs to have a much better +/- ratio this year. I think what troubles me about the turnovers is where they are taking place-in the RZ.

Dapper Dan
08-25-2013, 12:42 AM
If I remember correctly, it felt like part of last year's TO ratio is that we couldn't come away with a fumble recover.

jhildebrand
08-25-2013, 12:46 AM
If I remember correctly, it felt like part of last year's TO ratio is that we couldn't come away with a fumble recover.

You're right. I remember a few calls where the Broncos came up with the ball but the refs had already declared the possession for the other team. I can also remember some of Holliday's-I still hold my breath when he is fielding the ball (and crossing the goalline ;)). It seems to me the team was well in the + territory until late in the year.

Dapper Dan
08-25-2013, 12:55 AM
You're right. I remember a few calls where the Broncos came up with the ball but the refs had already declared the possession for the other team. I can also remember some of Holliday's-I still hold my breath when he is fielding the ball (and crossing the goalline ;)). It seems to me the team was well in the + territory until late in the year.

Manning's ints seem to come out of nowhere. I'm not sure where or when I expect ints to be, but his were kind of weird and random. It's hard to explain. Like at the Cincinnati game. I think he had 1 or 2. I couldn't figure out what he was trying to do. But his overall int total is so low that I can't complain. We came away with some good ints. The only fumbles I remember were Willis. And like I said, we never had any luck on recovering fumbles. Oh, and yes, Holliday. He makes me nervous too. We could have a safe guy like Leonard going no where all day. But those big TD returns are exciting. Holliday would have been MVP if we had beaten Baltimore.

jhildebrand
08-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Like you said, when it all shakes out Manning's TD/Int ratio is so good you can't complain. I don't recall any picks being real game killers as far as in the RZ or pick 6's like Cutler's seemed to be. My issues were Moreno gets lazy and carries the ball way outside his body. McGahee was weird because he was so good with the ball the year before. AW4Mayor made a good point in another thread that his came in traffic and not putting two hands on the ball.

I think after tonight the starter is Moreno and spelled by M Ball. I think the Broncos might bring someone in and get a good look at them and HIllman next week. If they don't Hillman should sit for a long while to prove a point or two: protect Manning, protect the ball or you will be protecting the gatorade.

Dapper Dan
08-25-2013, 01:12 AM
Like you said, when it all shakes out Manning's TD/Int ratio is so good you can't complain. I don't recall any picks being real game killers as far as in the RZ or pick 6's like Cutler's seemed to be. My issues were Moreno gets lazy and carries the ball way outside his body. McGahee was weird because he was so good with the ball the year before. AW4Mayor made a good point in another thread that his came in traffic and not putting two hands on the ball.

I think after tonight the starter is Moreno and spelled by M Ball. I think the Broncos might bring someone in and get a good look at them and HIllman next week. If they don't Hillman should sit for a long while to prove a point or two: protect Manning, protect the ball or you will be protecting the gatorade.

I compare Hillman's fumbles to McGahee. Hillman never really had a problem either. I think he may be trying too hard with the pressure of being a #1 back. Many, many great backs had more severe fumbling problems early on.

CrazyHorse
08-25-2013, 04:42 AM
Manning's ints seem to come out of nowhere. I'm not sure where or when I expect ints to be, but his were kind of weird and random. It's hard to explain. Like at the Cincinnati game. I think he had 1 or 2. I couldn't figure out what he was trying to do. But his overall int total is so low that I can't complain. We came away with some good ints. The only fumbles I remember were Willis. And like I said, we never had any luck on recovering fumbles. Oh, and yes, Holliday. He makes me nervous too. We could have a safe guy like Leonard going no where all day. But those big TD returns are exciting. Holliday would have been MVP if we had beaten Baltimore.

The worst was when he threw 3 in a row on the same seam pattern against Atlanta.

OrangeHoof
08-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Despite winning the game, this one looked too much like the previous week against Seattle - long kick returns, untimely fumbles returned for scores, blocked kicks, interceptions. Ironically, I thought our defense played pretty well. They got key stops and the only touchdown they allowed was the cheapie after the Tayvon Austin return.

I'm just not impressed at this stage. Hard to imagine these guys going 13-3.

G_Money
08-25-2013, 12:23 PM
I compare Hillman's fumbles to McGahee. Hillman never really had a problem either. I think he may be trying too hard with the pressure of being a #1 back. Many, many great backs had more severe fumbling problems early on.

In college he had that problem, yeah. What I said about Hillman on draft day:

Felt like a panic pick to me, exactly like a McDaniels draft pick. LaMichael James came off the board faster than we wanted, just as may have happened with the Muscle Hamster, and in order not to get caught without addressing that position of "receiving RB/ 20 touch game-breaker" we jumped up and reached on Hillman. He's a smooth runner and his vision's good. I didn't like what I saw of him against faster defenses, I didn't think he had the extra gear that guys in his position need to display, I think he needs to work on catching passes and taking care of the ball...

He needs work. I don't like moving up for RBs who aren't 3-down guys and need work on the very skills we drafted them for.

And he still needs to work on some of those things. The kid lost 5 or 6 fumbles his last year in college, IIRC. He didn't put it on the ground 5 or 6 times, he LOST that many balls. I still have concerns about him as a feature back. Hopefully this is a preseason problem he gets sorted out, quickly. He's running well inside the tackles and showing a little more burst, but he's GOT to hold on to the ball.

~G

Nomad
08-25-2013, 12:31 PM
How's Trindons ball security been?

HORSEPOWER 56
08-25-2013, 12:50 PM
How's Trindons ball security been?

Trindon muffed a punt last night, luckily we recovered it. He fair caught a couple of punts but never really got to return anything. St Louis' kicker and punter did a great job of not allowing him to do his thing. All the KOs were touch backs and all the punts either had a lot of hang time or were angled to the sidelines out of bounds.

BroncoWave
08-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Despite winning the game, this one looked too much like the previous week against Seattle - long kick returns, untimely fumbles returned for scores, blocked kicks, interceptions. Ironically, I thought our defense played pretty well. They got key stops and the only touchdown they allowed was the cheapie after the Tayvon Austin return.

I'm just not impressed at this stage. Hard to imagine these guys going 13-3.

We were pretty unimpressive early last season too. I'm not particularly worried yet. We may not go 13-3 again, but even 10 or 11 wins would be just fine. All you gotta do is get in the playoffs. Recent years have shown it doesn't really matter what your seed is.

Broncolingus
08-25-2013, 01:58 PM
It's squarely a coaching issue now there, Mr. Fox/Gase...

I'm also with G...

...I'm not sure Hillman doesn't have a fundamental problem hanging onto the ball that may never go away.

Hawgdriver
08-25-2013, 06:48 PM

AP was plagued by fumbles early on. He improved. I hope Hillman improves. Then he might be AP. Logic ftw.

Dapper Dan
08-25-2013, 09:24 PM
AP was plagued by fumbles early on. He improved. I hope Hillman improves. Then he might be AP. Logic ftw.

Arian Foster had such a bad fumbling problem in college that Tennessee fans hated him.